Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

Can someone help me understand this chart?

it's a dumb chart that is not worth following/listening to. I put it in as a meme but should probably add a caption of "this is stupid, don't do this"

there was a caption for it on my substack article but i forgot to add it to the SA post

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Maybe take the 48% free throw shooter off the floor Thibs?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Maybe take the 48% free throw shooter off the floor Thibs?

Maybe he has a good sprawl and sub defence? Have you thought about that? No, you only think about free throw percentage.

Shameful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Legit Businessman posted:

Maybe he has a good sprawl and sub defence? Have you thought about that? No, you only think about free throw percentage.

Shameful.

Sorry, Knicks-Heat gave me flashbacks to JVG doing an Imanari roll on Zo and I posted in the wrong thread

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Is anyone else getting real mad seeing all the rear naked choke experts chiming in this week talking about how safe and easy it is?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I hate BJJ people so much, hey. On a healthy person you’d be risking brain damage after one minute and risking death after two minutes.

The victim was not healthy and it was held on for 15 minutes.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Yeah it's extremely hosed up. I haven't seen anything like that from actual experts, to be clear. By experts I meant randos talking out of their rear end.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is anyone else getting real mad seeing all the rear naked choke experts chiming in this week talking about how safe and easy it is?

i must have missed something, what happened?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A homeless black guy was RNC’d to death on a new york subway train. Apparently he was being loud and disruptive and making people feel uncomfortable - but not violent or threatening. The killer, who RNC’d him for 15 minutes, was a white ex-marine who has done some unknown amount of BJJ training.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I think the only person who taught me explicitly about the dangers involved in choking people was my first boss when I worked as a bouncer. That is probably something that should feature in bjj classes more.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

A homeless black guy was RNC’d to death on a new york subway train. Apparently he was being loud and disruptive and making people feel uncomfortable - but not violent or threatening. The killer, who RNC’d him for 15 minutes, was a white ex-marine who has done some unknown amount of BJJ training.

of course

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I think the only person who taught me explicitly about the dangers involved in choking people was my first boss when I worked as a bouncer. That is probably something that should feature in bjj classes more.

I know the average grappler is brain poisoned by a combination of pre workout and joe rogan podcast but even the dumbest rear end in a top hat knows that cutting the brain off from oxygen is super bad.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm not on much social media where that may be more of a thing but I hate it so much

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Yeah it's extremely hosed up. I haven't seen anything like that from actual experts, to be clear. By experts I meant randos talking out of their rear end.

RNCs are safe and easy in the context of submission grappling where everyone is a consenting adult with at least some modicum fitness and without medical contraindications, and ESPECIALLY where the RNC is instantly halted upon a tap or a nap.

I've said it before but this sport of ours is explicitly about almost (but not quite!) hurting each other in a controlled manner, and a tap means "okay you've succeeded in locking in your submission, now stop before you cause me injury or death". Turns out it's super possible to strangle a person to death via RNC, regardless of a fact that (in a grappling context) people can tap and are then unharmed!!

gently caress!!!!

In conclusion, anyone who's going out and proclaiming "but RNCs are safe actually" given the nationally-salient context of "a white ex-marine just murdered a black man via strangulation from a 15-minute* RNC on an afternoon F train in Manhattan" is an rear end in a top hat, an idiot, or quite probably both.

(*As a related point of reference, in CPR classes I've taken, there is a rough guideline that ~10% of your brain dies for each minute of no bloodflow.)

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
To add a little insider information: Marines are taught very early into training the difference between an air choke and a blood choke, as well as the expected time to render someone unconscious vs killing them for both chokes.

This guy, with that training, plus whatever amount of bjj training, intentionally held someone in said choke for minutes past when he was taught death would most likely occur.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Mcmap is a joke and few people train it on a regular basis. While you should technically learn about air chokes and blood chokes there’s no guarantee it will be taught or that you’ll retain it after x years of not practicing

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Ive listened to former black belt instructors of mine tell me how police should be allowed to use the RNC to control suspects and put them to sleep should these people become violent. XXPD (insert you fav here) was wrong to ban the hold because you know, the small amount of savages that stay in a gym and train are the same as everyone else in the world. Also people tap pretty quick and know when to tap out in the real world, its all the same.

loving. IDIOTS.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

Mcmap is a joke and few people train it on a regular basis. While you should technically learn about air chokes and blood chokes there’s no guarantee it will be taught or that you’ll retain it after x years of not practicing

I know its anecdotal but my younger brother got his green belt in mcmap or whatever and when he came home on leave he was acting like he was billy bad rear end grappler and wanted to roll with me who was on year threeish of grappling. Dude felt like he had the skill level of maybe a six month white belt who rough housed as a kid.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

loving. IDIOTS.

this

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Defenestrategy posted:

I know its anecdotal but my younger brother got his green belt in mcmap or whatever and when he came home on leave he was acting like he was billy bad rear end grappler and wanted to roll with me who was on year threeish of grappling. Dude felt like he had the skill level of maybe a six month white belt who rough housed as a kid.

Yea that sounds about right

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I wonder if Rener is up for another big payday soon

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

I wonder how much it costs to get a black belt from him. Everyone from Brazil seems to charge for belts, but Im willing to bet his is ....quite costly.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

See, normally if you go one on one with another drilling partner, you got a 50/50 chance of retaining what you learned after two weeks. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST,

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

See, normally if you go one on one with another drilling partner, you got a 50/50 chance of retaining what you learned after two weeks. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST,

The numbers don't lie Brazil Jose, and they spell disaster for you when I hit my sacrifice throw!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

speaking of the grifting judoka, i saw his dumb face on an instagram ad for some airline travel pillow thing he's hocking

Hellblazer187 posted:

Legit Businessman posted:

The numbers don't lie Brazil Jose, and they spell disaster for you when I hit my sacrifice throw!

lmao

for anyone who may not get the reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 8, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
top tier thread, top tier twitter handle, top tier twitter display name

https://twitter.com/leninrolls/status/1655102668812038144

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
That dude was certainly murdered, but the statement you can feel someone’s pulse while doing a choke is total bullshit.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
You used to be able to feel someone's pulse but the IJF banned that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think it's also a little disingenuous to say they teach chokes to beginners because, as far as I know and have anecdotally seen, Judo pointedly doesn't teach chokes to beginners. I've never the kids at my gym, ranging from white to green, ever do any sub other than an arm bar. Their mount pin is a lot like an arm triangle but they don't angle for a submission.

That dude absolutely knew what he was doing, though, makes me disgusted.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think it's also a little disingenuous to say they teach chokes to beginners because, as far as I know and have anecdotally seen, Judo pointedly doesn't teach chokes to beginners. I've never the kids at my gym, ranging from white to green, ever do any sub other than an arm bar. Their mount pin is a lot like an arm triangle but they don't angle for a submission.

At mine they don't teach kids chokes until 13, armbars at 15. An adult white belt will definitely learn hadaka jime though, it's part of the yellow belt test.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol I'm a yellow belt and I think I forgot that because, as a BJJ blue belt at the time, they didn't even cover it aside from saying "hey this one is the RNC". Good to know though, thanks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lol I'm a yellow belt and I think I forgot that because, as a BJJ blue belt at the time, they didn't even cover it aside from saying "hey this one is the RNC". Good to know though, thanks.

In the thirty some odd classes ove attended in judo we did ground work twice once was just doing pins the other was teaching a head and arm triangle so bad id be surprised if anyone taps to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Judo does strangles before arm bars.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I know as an adult yellow belt in USA Judo I can't actually arm bar. My Sensei doesn't care if I hit them in Randori with him but they're not tournament legal for me I think.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, I know as an adult yellow belt in USA Judo I can't actually arm bar. My Sensei doesn't care if I hit them in Randori with him but they're not tournament legal for me I think.

In Canada to do an arm bar in a tournament you need to be both at least green belt and at least in the U18 division (so 16+). Strangles come in at U16 (so 14+).

The reasoning is that a 12 or 13 year old who gets an arm yacked can have permanent damage.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I believe that I was taught strangles very early on in judo. I started as an adult, so I don't know how much that changes things but I'm pretty sure in the first month at least I was shown chokes.

Edit: I agree that you can't feel someone's pulse, at least I've never noticed that. Maybe my arms are just too fat though.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 8, 2023

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Is Jake Pauls grappling any good? Does anyone know? Im watching this video of Diaz and Nate faceing off and wondering if he even has a slight chance of defending himself on the ground.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

In theory he wrassled in high school or college or some poo poo and is currently training MMA but :shrug emoji:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is Jake Pauls grappling any good? Does anyone know? Im watching this video of Diaz and Nate faceing off and wondering if he even has a slight chance of defending himself on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtIwv8wL_HQ

I can't really find any recent video of his grappling beyond the above sizzle real where he's practicing passing half guard and not really knowing what he's doing and practicing a sprawl. Three years ago he had a "for funsies" mma match with AJ Agazarm and looked like he had no idea what he was doing on bottom. He did wrestle in high school apparently, but didn't do anything with it. If I had to guess he's probably as good as any athletic strong white belt who wrestled a decade ago is.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The Diaz brothers both have good overall grappling and extremely good BJJ. It would take years of experience to not be subbed immediately upon hitting the ground. No idea where Paul sits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Count Roland posted:

The Diaz brothers both have good overall grappling and extremely good BJJ. It would take years of experience to not be subbed immediately upon hitting the ground.

Or even before hitting the ground, if the charges against Nate are to be believed.