Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lethrom posted:

Well, I have good news for you then! They made SSX for at least ps3 but I think 360 as well. Its called ssx and its fine I guess.

Wow I had legit blocked that memory I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it basically comes down to how long you wait. That part can be pretty tough if you take too long to deal with the captain but it’s easy if you dispatch him quick enough to get the infector before it does it’s thing

You can also just stasis the captain or at least destroy a leg and then stasis and deal with him after the infector. Really using stasis is just super important, I upgraded my suit asap to make sure I had the extra energy, duration and zone size.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

stasis and kinesis use feels way more important with the volume of enemies coming out, those random table legs have been an oasis in the desert whenever i see one

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

kinesis pro tip: the fans that come off vents are also a deadly weapon, the necromorphs are kind enough to provide you with the weapon of their demise when they bust out of one. Or you can just bust the vent yourself with a melee attack.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Protip: You can smash up corpses ahead of time to completely negate Infector ambushes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

...people don't reflexively stomp on every corpse in a room, just in case? :psyduck:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My first hint that TCP was going to bad was stomping on a random corpse and it didn't react at all lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, how did I forget that you can get a hovering circle saw blade as a weapon? So satisfying :black101:

Also looking the switch to having weapons just sitting around. It'll be a lot easier to test out new things when I don't have to make the credits investment up front.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh my god what a change for the better on the ADS section. New Contact Beam also whips rear end.

I have had a few cases of vents breaking open and necromorphs just spawning in place instead of climbing out, but that’s about the worst glitch that I’ve run in to other than some wonky physics and that’s not a bug it’s a feature.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I swear there are parts in Extermination that are just trolling the player. SWERY you poo poo.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Almost defaulted to the plasma cutter and and pulse rifle. They just always work.

Refunded the nodes and am now rolling with the ripper, the flamethrower and the contact beam. Fun poo poo! Seems everything is viable now!

The flame thrower still has that thing where they keep on coming at you except now they're on loving fire so that makes every encounter a little more special. Also means it feels more like a support tool than a primary thing.

Fire + ripper seems to work. :black101:

Contact beam is mega satisfying. The alt fire is energy efficient and mega powerful and the main fire makes the best noise. "Blooooorrrrrrp" :buddy:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been saving all of my flame fuel for the awesome area denial alt fire. the regular attack just doesn't seem to do enough damage but that flame wall is basically the only good way to stop enemies other than stasis+ it does decent eniugh damage.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

1stGear posted:

Protip: You can smash up corpses ahead of time to completely negate Infector ambushes.

My Isaac, returning to the Engineering hub and an infector frantically attempting to find an intact body: “Yeah, you better run”

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cross-posting my weapon thoughts from the DS thread. This was on Hard.

1stGear posted:

I did PC, rifle, flamethrower, and contact beam for pretty much the entire game and it worked well.

PC is precise but slow. Its also the only gun that can kill the baby enemies quickly.

Pulse rifle is less precise but fast. The grenade secondary is also handy.

Flamethrower is good for softening up targets and the secondary function is phenomenal for crowd control, especially towards the end of the game when you're doing a lot of fighting on narrow catwalks.

Contact beam is "Everything in this room needs to die right now." Also good for dealing with the tentacles.

If I do Impossible, I will probably swap out either the rifle or the PC for the Ripper or Force Gun. In retrospect, the loadout was lacking a way of getting enemies out of my face. If a melee Necro gets too close, there's essentially no way to avoid taking a hit. Isaac doesn't juke that well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ripper seems the best for ammo conservation on hard at least, but it's only good against one enemy at a time and in close range. I always seem to have plenty of ripper ammo because 1 blade will take out basically any basic enemy.

If there's a bunch of enemies in the room good luck with it though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Soften em up with Pulse Rifle Alt on their way to you and then they get a one way ticket on the woodpulper express

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ripper worked okay for me against multiple enemies because its hit box is way bigger than it looks and it constantly staggers enemies who take a while to recover so you can kind of sweep it around a bit. This was on normal though so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That works on hard too, I guess I meant more that you really have to focus in one direction because the range is so short. It's really bad for when you are getting flanked, because then you are just dropping/wasting blades everywhere and getting hit like crazy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tend to end up boxed into a corner in those situations anyway :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My current PC came with a 500 gb SSD and yet most of my games are on HDD because I like to have a bunch of games installed at one time, I hate slowly transferring games from one drive to another whenever I want to play them, and as for downloading I have a bandwidth cap. It's a pretty big cap, but still I'd rather download a game once and let it sit there for later and, again, I don't feel like transferring it back and forth from one drive to the other.

The least amount of friction between me and playing a game, the better. I'll use my SSD more when companies stop making games that are 90+ gb.

vv sold!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 30, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well you're lucky because DS1 remake is only about 30GB!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Wow I had legit blocked that memory I guess

There was also SSX On Tour but it was garbage and better off forgotten.

Is Call of Cthulhu 2018 worth playing? I did half an hour of it and the writing was terrible but in a cheesy fun way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It basically that the whole game so yes if you want another 10 ish hours.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Pirate Captain posted:

Is Call of Cthulhu 2018 worth playing? I did half an hour of it and the writing was terrible but in a cheesy fun way.

i would just watch a longplay of it if you're curious; there's some nice atmospheric bits, but the skill system's a mess and the writing's not much better throughout

i feel like 90% of lovecraft media is badly hobbled by their developers not having read anything other than the call of cthulhu + shadow over innsmouth, so there's too much predictability to the mounting horror if you're even vaguely familiar with the source material. it's like how TCP's entire plot arc can be mapped out in your head the moment you hear "zombie breakout at evil space prison" as the elevator pitch

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

1stGear posted:

Cross-posting my weapon thoughts from the DS thread. This was on Hard.

If I do Impossible, I will probably swap out either the rifle or the PC for the Ripper or Force Gun. In retrospect, the loadout was lacking a way of getting enemies out of my face. If a melee Necro gets too close, there's essentially no way to avoid taking a hit. Isaac doesn't juke that well.

I'm actually having a lot of fun with the third upgrade for the plasma cutter that turns it into a sack full of doorknobs.

Suddenly Isaac's big stupid pistol-whip actually has some impact behind it and they go flying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Pirate Captain posted:

I didn't dislike it when I played it but I also didn't feel like my decisions really mattered. It has to railroad you into some plot points to keep the game moving so it basically comes down to how full your tentacle hentai collection meter is at the end of the game to determine what ending you get. Overall not bad but it really is incredibly goofy.

I certainly liked it more than the open world version from a couple years later that just had you doing quests for obvious fishmen that the protagonist doesn't even question.

VVV yeah that, which I guess came out the next year, not later. CoC is kind of like saying "a d&d game", it's it's own brand regardless of the title. You got fishmen, you got the big squid, you're a CoC game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 30, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I didn't dislike it when I played it but I also didn't feel like my decisions really mattered. It has to railroad you into some plot points to keep the game moving so it basically comes down to how full your tentacle hentai collection meter is at the end of the game to determine what ending you get. Overall not bad but it really is incredibly goofy.

I certainly liked it more than the open world version from a couple years later that just had you doing quests for obvious fishmen that the protagonist doesn't even question.

You talking about The Sinking City or was there another CoC game??

e: I've been playing Amnesia: Rebirth and while it is a step down from Dark Descent and Soma it's not as bad as people were letting on. I do find the light-system to be largely superfluous and resources are oddly rare and used up quickly so I just find myself running through dark hallways while occasionally nursing my Bridge Baby.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 30, 2023

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There is actually a Lovecraft game called just 'Call of Cthulhu' (not to be confused the older Dark corners of the earth game) and its very substandard. I played through the whole thing for free on ps+ extra. I can't recommend it really.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I know of Call of Cthulhu and The Sinking City because the publisher of both tried to screw Frogwares. There's also maybe an indie joint called Dagon that's just like a Dear Esther walking sim narrating Lovecraft??

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best Lovecraft games are Eternal Darkness and Bloodborne

No further questions

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, there's some other good ones but those are pretty tip top for sure. Almost none of the really good ones do the fishing village/tentacles stuff, I know Bloodborne eventually did literally do the former but it was in the DLC and not initially at least, and they did it extremely, extremely well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

The best Lovecraft games are Eternal Darkness and Bloodborne

No further questions

The Last Door

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Discendo Vox posted:

This might be the first time I've seen a remake so universally acclaimed.

...feels really weird coming from EA.

RE2make wasn't even that long ago

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I've played a couple hours of Lamentum: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033950/Lamentum/ (it's also on playstation, which is where I played it).

I haven't seen much of the game, but I do like what I've seen so far. It's got a classic survival horror feel of wandering through a spooky house, picking up items, managing your inventory, combining stuff, putting seals into slots to open doors, chopping up monsters, that kind of thing. Literally never heard of it (maybe someone mentioned it here and I just forgot though), just picked it up for eight bucks in a PSN sale.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's kinda weird that the alt-fire for the Ripper in Dead Space Remake says it costs one sawblade, because the normal attack also costs one sawblade. I mean I guess they wanted to specify because for other weapons the alt-fires take more ammo but for a while there I thought the normal fire didn't consume ammo because of it (and because I'm not a clever man).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's kinda weird that the alt-fire for the Ripper in Dead Space Remake says it costs one sawblade, because the normal attack also costs one sawblade. I mean I guess they wanted to specify because for other weapons the alt-fires take more ammo but for a while there I thought the normal fire didn't consume ammo because of it (and because I'm not a clever man).

But the saws visibly break when they are done spinning?

I don't know what it is but I'm actually finding myself using the ripper less when it was my go-to on the original game next to the PC. Really no reason, it's still a very economic solution for solo enemies, it just feels like there's less breathing space in a lot of areas where you can slowly peel a necromorph apart.

It does also feel like it stuns necros less but that might be me misremebering. Seemed like in the original you could make a wall of sawblade and be fine with everything.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 30, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CuddleCryptid posted:

But the saws visibly break when they are done spinning?

Yeah I said I'm not a clever man! It took me a while to notice that and then I paid attention to my ammo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay I finished my first playthrough of Dead Space Remake and it's good. Very good.

This is a rare case where the remake is basically superior in all ways over the original.

Hell a lot of people were afraid of them having more dialog for Isaac but honestly it all fits. He's not overly talky. It feels natural for him to make those comments that he did.

They e also expanded the game by like 10% and redesigned various sections and they are so much better than in the original.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just mentioned it in another thread, but my favorite change so far is switching out that stupid asteroid turret sequence for one where you just go outside and aim in third person like normal. God, I hated that in the original, I think it frustrated me enough to just quit for the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Okay I finished my first playthrough of Dead Space Remake and it's good. Very good.

This is a rare case where the remake is basically superior in all ways over the original.

Hell a lot of people were afraid of them having more dialog for Isaac but honestly it all fits. He's not overly talky. It feels natural for him to make those comments that he did.

They e also expanded the game by like 10% and redesigned various sections and they are so much better than in the original.

it's the definitive edition for me now, and it easily ranks in the top 5 survival horror titles of all time. just top-to-bottom excellent, and a real testament to what you can do when you have a team that clearly loved what they were creating

the real value in the original now is that it's a great time capsule to go back and see how much they managed to get right the first time around, even with the limited technology of the time and comparatively new format of over-the-shoulder shooter that they piggybacked off of