Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Haven't been to this thread in ages but someone posted this 2011 Ben Garrison cartoon. I was surprised that he looked like he had a reasonable opinion for a moment, and then it turns out it's littered with telltale signs of alcoholism and DUIs like a real-life Stan Kelly

someone post the political chart of "ron paul radicalizes you here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Avirosb posted:

What if phones but too much

The hottest of takes

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Guys why do we like Horsey again

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Saint Sputnik posted:

Guys why do we like Horsey again

Bang-rear end tittays

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Didn't garrison go on to make "minorities are over exaggerating" style comics in the wake of Ferguson and other tragedies or did i dream that?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

He did draw about BLM being a pawn of Obama and (((Soros))). As we all know, fascist regimes generally try their hardest to curb police violence.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Xander77 posted:

He did draw about BLM being a pawn of Obama and (((Soros))). As we all know, fascist regimes generally try their hardest to curb police violence.

Pay no attention to the white trash and other people that is also murdered every year, they clearly never existed in the first place. And if they did, they were no angels.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

Oh no not some gizmo

But on the other hand, there's that thing going around on Facebook that has one person saying "enjoy your $1000 phone with worse camera and broken screen!" And the other saying "Even if the iphone was $3000 and drew blood every time I used it, I would never buy an android!" And people unironically agreeing...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

:wow: imagine defending slavery as though it were a fad that everyone went through. I hate that so many people want to give a free pass to literally owning another human being just because they want to have some historical heroes to worship. We can recognize the contributions these people made to creating this country without forgetting the horrible poo poo they did. If keeping the statues up means we all need to conveniently forget that the founding fathers were mostly slave owners (because it was OK when they did it, you see) then tear them the gently caress down.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Naw Branco deserves a slow, painful and lingering death where it finally takes him in the dead of night alone and scared.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

All this poor man wants in the entire world is to not have healthcare

why must Bernie take this from him :qq:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

A good guy with a gun, a good comic.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Avirosb posted:

A good guy with a gun, a good comic.
"A good guy with a gun" still is on the "Fantasy" shelf.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've often wondered, if tax is theft but authoritarianism rules who do conservatives root for in Robin Hood stories?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've often wondered, if tax is theft but authoritarianism rules who do conservatives root for in Robin Hood stories?

the conservative reading is that the only reason Prince John was bad was that he taxed people at all

Also every evil rich person in every book can be read as a "government fat-cat" or "crony" (aka the bad kind of rich person) if you really want to. See: Henry Payne's inexplicable take on the movie Elysium, which is as clear and unsubtle a metaphor for class inequality and argument for nationalized healthcare as I can think of.

but they still drew Obama as Robin Hood thinking it was an insult all the time so v:v:v

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sirtommygunn posted:

:wow: imagine defending slavery as though it were a fad that everyone went through. I hate that so many people want to give a free pass to literally owning another human being just because they want to have some historical heroes to worship. We can recognize the contributions these people made to creating this country without forgetting the horrible poo poo they did. If keeping the statues up means we all need to conveniently forget that the founding fathers were mostly slave owners (because it was OK when they did it, you see) then tear them the gently caress down.

You have no idea how much Americans are trained and expected to revere the morons that expected every president to do the right thing or that slavery would magically just end.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

If this had an image of them 'accidentally' bashing in the head of a bald eagle while they hunted snipe, it would be a perfect metaphor.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Crabtree posted:

You have no idea how much Americans are trained and expected to revere the morons that expected every president to do the right thing or that slavery would magically just end.

I have an idea, I am an American after all :v: I'm just disappointed that people actually believe that argument. Like, I know that's the argument they're making on a fundamental level, but it's so rare for someone to be so confident in it they'll just come out and say they were entirely blameless because it happened before the civil war. Usually people will at least mumble something about "yeah it was terrible, but they contributed so much/were so important to the founding of this country...".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Who would have thunk so many libertarians would become fascists as soon as they tasted power

*slowly raises hand*

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Never mind that noted slave owner and rapist Thomas Jefferson was bad by the standards of his time and social group.

He's the archetypical American and that's not a good thing. He talked a big game about liberty and equality but when it came to choosing between what he claimed and living large on the back of slaves it wasn't even a matter of deliberation.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I even think "Medicare for all" is pretty bad policy ("Medicaid for anyone who wants it" ie the Public Option would be far more sustainable, and I say that as a Medicaid recipient), but jesus christ dude. "Medicare is Communism" right there in my poor eye-holes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Who would have thunk so many libertarians would become fascists as soon as they tasted power

Wistful of Dollars posted:

*slowly raises hand*

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

*slowly raises hand*

*hand breaks through the roof at supersonic speeds*

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

"product of their time" arguments are so stupid. Like, how far back to we even go for that? People are racist as gently caress and living off of slavery RIGHT NOW. Are they a product of 2017?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
if you want to see a lot of DEBT, look no further than this twitter thread

https://twitter.com/DOGGEAUX/status/909685988691034112

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Look at that man's figure, he's clearly impregnated with some alien parasitoid and Berny knows what must be done.

The gently caress is wrong with you Horsey?!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I might be wrong here, but isn't it okay to have statues of people as long as they aren't celebrating slavery? To me this is why I don't buy the :airquote: hypocrisy :airquote: between random and confederate statues. It's deflection trying to conflate the person with the subject matter of the statues.

Didn't Robert E. Lee rejoin the regular army after the Civil War?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nobody is demanding the removal of Thomas Jefferson statues. There was a protest at one in Charlotesville last week, and their list of demands said that they just wanted a plaque on the statue that acknowledged all the bad poo poo he did.

Considering that, while writing about inalienable right of liberty, he owned people as slaves, raped his slaves, and also made his children who were born of those rapes into slaves, I'd say that's a pretty reasonable demand.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I might be wrong here, but isn't it okay to have statues of people as long as they aren't celebrating slavery? To me this is why I don't buy the :airquote: hypocrisy :airquote: between random and confederate statues. It's deflection trying to conflate the person with the subject matter of the statues.

Didn't Robert E. Lee rejoin the regular army after the Civil War?

Lee being good was revisionism.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I love how Branco's everyman is always this schlubby dude with a big ol' gut in ill-fitting Carhartts.

Though – LOL at making him black this time.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Jefferson never waged war against the united states

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Question: are illegal immigrants (who I'm sure can't vote anyway) largely liberal voters? Aren't they pretty conservative ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unlawful immigrants can't vote .its a racist fantasy popular with republicans .

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jefferson statues also weren't often put up during the civil rights movement specifically as a "gently caress you" to black people demanding to be treated like human beings.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

failing forward posted:

"product of their time" arguments are so stupid. Like, how far back to we even go for that? People are racist as gently caress and living off of slavery RIGHT NOW. Are they a product of 2017?

Not to mention that before the modern slavetrade in America slavery had been banned in large parts of Europe for centuries.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stiglich posted:

BLM/Occupy Philly DA candidate Larry Krasner has sued the Phila. Police Dept more than 75 times, and endorses safe injection sites for heroin users.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Black votes matter since each one of their votes holds equal weight to everyone else's. AGC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grimdude posted:

Question: are illegal immigrants (who I'm sure can't vote anyway) largely liberal voters? Aren't they pretty conservative ?

They're often socially conservatives, yes, but that the main conservative party in the USA insists that they should not be considered to have the same human rights as people with a whiter skin does tend to be the vote-swaying issue.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Good gods, I was the willfully dense one all along. Editing out all evidence of ever misreading a cartoon, in eternal shame.

• Locked thread