Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He was basically a cutscene man back then as well because all there was plot wise was essentially a handful of cutscene between dozens of hours of leve grinding.

yeah there is no vast lost depository of Louisoix lore he pretty much just only shows up to warn the heads of the city-states about Dalamud and gives you the quest to set up the shrines of the Twelve for what happens during the Bahamut cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
He mentors Minfilia a bit but that's mostly a informed trait, too.

The weirdness of 1.0 is that it's kind of a flux state where everything in it still happened unless it didn't, but they haven't really directly retconned much, and there's pieces of it that still get unexplained nods that still have no further context in 2.0+ - like when Colbernoux shows up outside the door at the end of ALC 70, that's a direct continuation/conclusion of the 1.0 GSM quest line, but the fact that Niellefresne is his brother isn't really front and center (and if you didn't do GSM 51-60 either then you'd have even less of an idea who this guy's supposed to be). They do a slightly better job with Rostnsthal/Stahlmann from MCH in that you get some idea of his disgrace, though the actual event itself is still vaguely alluded to even though it ends up being relevant to Alexander, too. So the business with Travanchet and Seal Rock still happened. Probably the biggest retcon hit is to Gridania/CNJ/WHM - they probably initially had something else plotted out entirely so a lot of things just got orphaned or excised (the 1.x WHM story is the only one not to make it to ARR) and are unlikely to become relevant again in the future. Unless they go wild with a future Variant/Criterion dungeon, I suppose.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hogama posted:

They do a slightly better job with Rostnsthal/Stahlmann from MCH in that you get some idea of his disgrace, though the actual event itself is still vaguely alluded to even though it ends up being relevant to Alexander, too.

Huh, that plot was on camera in 1.0? I read about it in the Encyclopedia, but it's very hard to tell which pre-ARR stuff covered in there is 1.0 versus just out-of-game backstory. Really, about all I know happened on camera in 1.0 is the Meteor run-up and the parade disaster.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, it was the Limsa Lominsa main storyline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIReTE4rNBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKIET0wsI1M

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's also the fact that The Echo was handled differently, and weirdly in 1.0

Effectively, echo Flashbacks actually put your character there, in the past. You could interact with stuff. Take stuff from the past. Leave stuff there for someone else to get. Talk to people, and they would then remember you in the present. You just couldn't change the overall outcome of events.

That weird scene in 2.0 where the WoL gives Cid his goggles in the flashback seems to be the only remnant of that post-1.0.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s a shame most of Minfillia’s character development is sorta locked away in 1.0.

And in general while the 1.0 cutscenes have been uploaded it’s still kinda disjointed without any way to really play out what little story there was. And yeah the weird way the Echo works can make the cutscenes hard to follow at times.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

And in general while the 1.0 cutscenes have been uploaded it’s still kinda disjointed without any way to really play out what little story there was.

This. This is the most frustrating part of being so monstrously curious about all the little details from 1.0 story-wise, because even watching all the cutscenes, the little intricacies of dialogue that occurs outside of cutscenes and even little bits of what gameplay there was being missing results in a loss of context.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s a shame most of Minfillia’s character development is sorta locked away in 1.0.

And in general while the 1.0 cutscenes have been uploaded it’s still kinda disjointed without any way to really play out what little story there was. And yeah the weird way the Echo works can make the cutscenes hard to follow at times.

Minfilia (and her related relationships with Thancred and F'lhaminn) is kinda the only actual story casualty of 1.0. Basically everything else was either unimportant, reiterated or changed in ARR, but a decent amount of Minfilia's story is written as if you're already privvy to what they talked about back then and they never see much reason to remind you.

There was genuinely a point of revelation for people that the Unending Codex mentioned Thancred saw her as a daughter in 6.4, that's how long it took before they bothered to actually say that in the live game.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 28, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

Minfilia (and her related relationships with Thancred and F'lhaminn) is kinda the only actual story casualty of 1.0. Basically everything else was either unimportant, reiterated or changed in ARR, but a decent amount of Minfilia's story is written as if you're already privvy to what they talked about back then and they never see much reason to remind you.

There was genuinely a point of revelation for people that the Unending Codex mentioned Thancred saw her as a daughter in 6.4, that's how long it took before they bothered to actually say that in the live game.

Thancred told it to Krile straight up in the 3.x (I think 3.2) patches, so it's been part of the text at least since then. He gave a whole summary of the goobue incident, and how he feels he failed Minfilia afterwards.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Thancred told it to Krile straight up in the 3.x (I think 3.2) patches, so it's been part of the text at least since then. He gave a whole summary of the goobue incident, and how he feels he failed Minfilia afterwards.

True but I think his specifically viewing her as a daughter sometimes gets lost in that (at least in the English dialogue.)

It also kinda leads into the issue through all of Minfillia's prolonged departure, where it feels like it's as much about Thancred as it is about her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Main thing that threw me off there is that while F'halmann (I spelled that wrong, don't care it's 1AM) decided to lean into the Sexy Grandma look as soon as she adopted Minfilia Thancred didn't engage Dad Mode until Shadowbringers. So the limited character models had him and Minfilia looking much closer in age than they were.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's also a little weird because Thancred (32 per the wiki) is apparently only five years older than Minfilia (27), so them looking a similar age isn't that off.

Apparently Urianger is only 29, which is kind of surprising to me. I would have assumed he was the oldest of the original scion cast, but I guess that went to Papalymo at 42.

It doesn't list the age conveniently like it does for the scions, but it says that F'lhaminn was 37 when Minfilia changed her name and took charge of the scions.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 28, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's also a little weird because Thancred (32 per the wiki) is apparently only five years older than Minfilia (27), so them looking a similar age isn't that off.

Apparently Urianger is only 29, which is kind of surprising to me. I would have assumed he was the oldest of the original scion cast, but I guess that went to Papalymo at 42.

FF14 works by anime logic where being in your late 20s means you're a grizzled old soldier, and by your 30s you're some sort of elder sage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bobtheconqueror posted:

I think the big hurdle there is that it's Thancred, so sex and romance is sort of a default assumption unless you have evidence otherwise. You don't see the same assumptions about, say, Yda and Papalymo.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

stev posted:

FF14 works by anime logic where being in your late 20s means you're a grizzled old soldier, and by your 30s you're some sort of elder sage.

Auron was 35 lol

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

God Hole posted:

Auron was 35 lol

To be fair Auron had other problems. Being dead for 10 years might have an effect on your looks

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tengames posted:

To be fair Auron had other problems. Being dead for 10 years might have an effect on your looks

hmm but Yunalesca was still looking pretty good after like a thousand years

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

I guess that went to Papalymo at 42.

Now there's a character who got shafted.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

God Hole posted:

Auron was 35 lol

yeah, spira doesn't have sunscreen and that is not a man otherwise taking measures to avoid sun damage

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I got to Heavensward and met Edmont I noted that they were finally allowed to make old characters

E: do we know how old Matoya is?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bobtheconqueror posted:

he says something to Alphinaud offhand like "Elezen are known to be late bloomers, I wasn't fully a man grown until my 20th year"

before that he was Alphinaud-sized

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Urianger is so incredibly dude in his 20s that I have no idea how people are surprised by it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

bobtheconqueror posted:

It doesn't list the age conveniently like it does for the scions, but it says that F'lhaminn was 37 when Minfilia changed her name and took charge of the scions.

Really? I thought she and Thancred were the same age, or at least close, when they set off that gobbue. Did I misremember who was involved?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FuturePastNow posted:

When I got to Heavensward and met Edmont I noted that they were finally allowed to make old characters

E: do we know how old Matoya is?

She and Y'shtola are both 23 years young.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Re: Thancred, Minfillia, and the Gobbue Incident, I don't think it was an accident. I think it was an assassination. Has the game ever come out and said this?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
This is the age chart that was put together a few years ago that I still refer to, in case anyone has other questions about characters

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, Grynewaht looks like that in his 20s? :dogstare:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Kheldarn posted:

Re: Thancred, Minfillia, and the Gobbue Incident, I don't think it was an accident. I think it was an assassination. Has the game ever come out and said this?

I can't recall if they were just pranking or activists, but Thancred F'halminn and associates set the gobbue loose. They's why they felt so guilty when it killed someone and took care of Minfilia as a result. Now, her dad was a supplier of the Resistance so I think it's been implied that his dying in the chaos may have been more than an accident, but the incident was definitely their doing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kheldarn posted:

Yes, it multiple spots. It was an accidental killing but one of the crafter (Stb Alchemist IIRC) story lines go into it and F'lam's Group's plan. They basically planned to cause the thing to go berserk and break loose during the parade, recapture it and rouse the people to an uprising to pull attention toward the incoming Garlean threat.

It did not go like that and Hilariously, one of the men killed in that was an informant that was bringing info on Project Meteor to the Eorzean Alliance years prior to when they would learn about it in 1.0

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

Urianger is so incredibly dude in his 20s that I have no idea how people are surprised by it.

Honestly it's the mannerisms and near encyclopedic knowledge. He seems far to stately for someone in his 20's to me, especially compared to Thancred and Y'shtola. Also the weird almost butler style relationship he had with Alisaie early on. I would have pegged him at upper 30's in ARR.

Edda's whole arc makes a lot more sense if she was loving 16. Jesus.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 28, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bruceski posted:

I can't recall if they were just pranking or activists, but Thancred F'halminn and associates set the gobbue loose. They's why they felt so guilty when it killed someone and took care of Minfilia as a result. Now, her dad was a supplier of the Resistance so I think it's been implied that his dying in the chaos may have been more than an accident, but the incident was definitely their doing.

Thancred was in on that? I thought it was just F'halminn and Pals.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes, it multiple spots. It was an accidental killing but one of the crafter (Stb Alchemist IIRC) story lines go into it and F'lam's Group's plan. They basically planned to cause the thing to go berserk and break loose during the parade, recapture it and rouse the people to an uprising to pull attention toward the incoming Garlean threat.

It did not go like that and Hilariously, one of the men killed in that was an informant that was bringing info on Project Meteor to the Eorzean Alliance years prior to when they would learn about it in 1.0

Ah, haven't done those quests yet, so didn't know that part, but I still think that someone saw too good of an opportunity to pass up, and got rid of her dad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Thancred was in on that? I thought it was just F'halminn and Pals.

It's confusing because we hear the story from different people all of whom blame themselves. There is, of course, a 1.0 cutscene that helps thoughit's an Echo flashback confusingly presented as current because that's how they did Echo back then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD45euKWO1U And of course when looking up stuff online nobody cites their sources so you don't know if they're filling in the blanks themselves. As I understand it:

--War rumblings with Garlemald are starting up, F'hlaminn and associates get the idea to cause and stop the gobbue and use that populist support to push for war with Garlemald before things build up too much (according to the ALC querst No Sin Unpunished, other people online say they were trying to stop war and I don't know if things got retconned). Thancred was a youth hired to guard the thing and so was recruited,

--Thancred thinks everything's under control and gets distracted by flirting.

--Unknown to any of them the mage controlling its bindings is an Imperial spy and sets it loose (early? independant of their plans?) just to cause chaos.

--Released early it wasn't in the area where they believed they could control things, charged down a side street and Warburton dies pushing Ascilla out of the way.

--Some sort of shenanigans where the Imperials try to kidnap Ascilla because Warburton was a double agent with intel and family doesn't get to survive that, someone else tries to use a magic evil alchemy dagger to revive Warburton for the intel, one of the crew who thought they were responsible gets killed because the Uldahn merchants thought they were responsible too, then stabbed with the evil alchemical dagger because the guy who had it figured "hey, free corpse to test it on".

--By the end of it F'lhaminn has a new daughter with an assumed name to hide from the Imperials, Thancred is trying to help support them.

--Thancred later tries to pickpocket a master thief, gets taken to Sharlayan to major in Spycraft (this is where the age stuff gets confusing, because the ALC quests say the Gobbue Incident happened 15 years ago so I THINK it has to be before he becomes a Scion, but the shot of him in the flashback hides where a tattoo would be and of course they use the same character model), and comes back at the same time as the 1.0 WoL.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 28, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Merlwyb is looking pretty drat good for 42, I'll say that much.

I know it's never outright stated, but the game seems to treat the WoL as being in their early twenties, even though the dudes have some pretty craggy face options.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'll never give an official age, since it's the player's fantasy, though obviously the WoL is not younger than, say, the Twins. Some NPCs do use "young" once or twice to describe WoL, though, so it's also on the player to take that as sarcasm if they're trying to roleplay a wrinkly fossil.

Funnily enough, even though Yoshi-P says they've been aging him in the cinematics to show the tolls of the years and hardships, Hollywood Meteor is not only younger in relation to most of the rest of the OG cast relative to when he met them because of Louisoix's spell when Dalamud fell, since we have the wibbly wobbly time bubble, he's barely older in Endwalker than he was in 1.0!

"Boy, what a decade, huh?"
"WoL, it's been 10 months since you joined the Scions."

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Do we have a concrete answer for how much time has passed in-game between 2.0 and now? Surely the twins must be coming up on their growth spurt soon if they were 16 at the start.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The passage of time since the Calamity read "Forever Five."

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Do we have a concrete answer for how much time has passed in-game between 2.0 and now? Surely the twins must be coming up on their growth spurt soon if they were 16 at the start.

No and we never will, Koji's said we're in a simpsons time bubble where no matter how much time passes everyone stays the same age

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

One of the items in the MSQ is Warburton's Journal, and it says, "The legacy of Minfilia's father, who perished in the parade incident of 1562"...

That gives us a date for when that happened. From what I can find, The Calamity happened 10 years later, in 1572, and the current year is (and will forever be) 1577.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Gobbue Incident is after Thancred is taken to Sharlaynan by Lousioix because before that he was a homeless orphan cut purse in Limsa Lominsa and had no business guarding beasts in Ul'dah. But he's like 17 or something.