Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

That is supposedly being corrected in the next Unraid release from their teaser so hopefully that goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Synology warned me that the wd disk I shucked wasn't on their compatibility list. :ohdear:

The array is repairing now. Thanks thread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

2x 20TB WD Red Pros from WD's shop today for $600 is a pretty good deal. Hopefully I don't have to replace my 5x 8TB NAS for a long time but my next NAS build is going to be nuts!
Here's the slickdeals link:
https://slickdeals.net/f/16656665-20tb-western-digital-wd-red-pro-3-5-7200-rpm-nas-internal-hard-drive-2-for-600-free-shipping
and the WD site link (note the green text LIMITED TIME: Buy 2 20TB drives for $599.98. Learn More):
https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-pro-sata-hdd#WD201KFGX

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I logged in to see a warning on my TrueNas today. Running "zpool status -v" reports the following:

code:
  pool: SSD Pool
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        SSD Pool                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/60067486-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/60088fdf-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da11p2                                      ONLINE      11     0     0
            gptid/6006e637-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe3d749-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe75fa3-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fc32848-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/602a2292-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/6007789f-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe46b13-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe532c0-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe62066-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe570d1-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/60080272-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/5fe4f3dd-e64a-11ed-88b6-d0509979f5c4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: boot-pool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:08 with 0 errors on Sat May 20 03:45:08 2023
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool   ONLINE       0     0     0
          ada0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Disk on the way out I'm assuming?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rexxed posted:

2x 20TB WD Red Pros from WD's shop today for $600 is a pretty good deal. Hopefully I don't have to replace my 5x 8TB NAS for a long time but my next NAS build is going to be nuts!
Here's the slickdeals link:
https://slickdeals.net/f/16656665-20tb-western-digital-wd-red-pro-3-5-7200-rpm-nas-internal-hard-drive-2-for-600-free-shipping
and the WD site link (note the green text LIMITED TIME: Buy 2 20TB drives for $599.98. Learn More):
https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-pro-sata-hdd#WD201KFGX

Newegg also has 20TB Exos drives for $290 and 18TB Exos drives for $265 ($35 discount applied in cart) right now. Both under $15/TB.

Unraid question: I want to add a cache drive and can add up to 2 M.2 SSDs. I've seen a lot of different recommendations for how to set this up: 2 drives mirrored (for redundancy), splitting up different types of data by drive in various different ways (splitting things like a write cache, appdata, VM volumes, Plex metadata between drives), or just a single drive for everything. The array mainly holds media and initially I'm just running Plex, a torrent client and a Windows VM, though I plan on running more containers and VMs in the future. A mirroring setup seems a bit excessive as I'm not sure I'd be storing anything that I wouldn't mind just restoring from a nightly or even weekly backup to the array. Any recommendations for configurations as well as drives? SSDs look pretty cheap right now so I don't mind getting 2 if that leads to a noticeably better experience.

I've also seen some people opting for significantly more expensive high endurance drives, as there are apparently have been instances / uses where unraid has burned through TBW specs. However, with standard drives often having over 10x my array size in TBW (e.g. 1TB WD Blues and Samsung 970 Evo Pluses having 600 TBW vs my 56TB array), combined with a vast majority of data just being written once then stored indefinitely (media downloads), it doesn't seem like high endurance should be a priority in my case.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just mirror cheap drives, 1tb NVMEs are so cheap now there’s no reason not to

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve got a system SSD and a scratch SSD, my system SSD holds appdata, vms, isos, and system share. These shares are automatically backed up using an unraid plugin to a share that only uses my parity protected platter drives.

I also run a user script to back the same shares up on an external drive attached to the server.

The scratch SSD is used for media downloads and gets moved once a week. I don’t really back this up.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My case and drives show up tomorrow! Let the weekend project commence.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VostokProgram posted:

I have done it twice in the last few days since I've been experimenting with different setups. Both times it went through flawlessly. Even kept my shares configured. Go for it imo

Just wanted to report back on this, thanks for the feedback!

Went ahead and migrated, zero issues, took a few minutes with the reboot.

After some testing, went and upgraded my large ZFS pool version, also zero issues (and instant).

Yeehaw.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

What is the absolute easiest way to backup photos with some redundancy? I don't want to spend a huge amount just to back up family photos, but my current system is very not good: Currently they are just on 1TB drive in the PC, with periodic manual backup to an external drive, which is then stored at a family member's house. Total storage demand currently is 1TB, but obviously likely to go up.

First concern: drive failure during backup - this 1TB drive these photos are on is seriously long in the tooth and I now treat it with caution. Everything needs to come off the drive and onto new storage but I don't know how to do this in the most gentle manner.

Second concern: what do I move to? My preference would be local redundancy to cover disk failure paired with a low cost online storage which would only be used if there was a fire or something managed to wipe all the local.

My current thoughts: off the shelf 2 port PCI RAID card (£60) dropped into the PC with 2x 6TB (2x£150) with cloud cold storage (Glacier? I'm not clear on how to actually accomplish this).

I don't use plex or store any other media to speak of, and I don't really want the upfront or ongoing expense of running a NAS (especially as there is no intention to access the photos remotely).

Clearly anything is better than my current system, but working out what to actually do is very confusing!

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

First I checked the disc to see if it had any issues, nothing flagged so I backed up to backblaze over a couple of days - seems to be a good service and I can deal with $70 a year for disaster recovery.
After that I put in a brand new 1TB drive and tried to use windows to mirror the data. It kept throwing a "not enough space" error, until I realised that the old drive couldn't convert to dynamic because of a recovery partition at the end of the drive. I diskparted that partition away, and the mirroring is now chugging along nicely.

The next plan is to cull the files on the drive - I am sure there are some duplicate files and also burst pictures that need to be dealt with. Does anyone have a good duplicate file finding an deleting solution? I seem to remember using https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/duplicate-files-finder-portable in the past.

I am thinking of using https://www.optyx.app/ to get a handle on the photos.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The 22TB elements is on sale for $360 on amazon.

I got T640 I'm looking at positioning in my home setup, but it's a weird configuration and I have no idea how to do something nice with it for cheap.

PERC H730P, 2GB
Chassis with up to (16 + 16) x 2.5" SAS/ SATA Hard Drives, Single PERC, Tower Configuration
Dual, Hot-plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 750W
Single Intel Xeon Silver 4112 2.6G, 4C/8T, 9.6GT/s 2UPI, 8.25M Cache, Turbo, HT (85W) DDR4-2400
64GB Ram
2x 600GB 15k SAS drive

I'd like to use it as a hypervisor, but the storage isn't enough as is. It could also be a very nice video editing or 3D modeling computer if I put a graphics card in it? Any suggestions a easy cool use for this?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vaporware posted:

The 22TB elements is on sale for $360 on amazon.

I got T640 I'm looking at positioning in my home setup, but it's a weird configuration and I have no idea how to do something nice with it for cheap.

PERC H730P, 2GB
Chassis with up to (16 + 16) x 2.5" SAS/ SATA Hard Drives, Single PERC, Tower Configuration
Dual, Hot-plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 750W
Single Intel Xeon Silver 4112 2.6G, 4C/8T, 9.6GT/s 2UPI, 8.25M Cache, Turbo, HT (85W) DDR4-2400
64GB Ram
2x 600GB 15k SAS drive

I'd like to use it as a hypervisor, but the storage isn't enough as is. It could also be a very nice video editing or 3D modeling computer if I put a graphics card in it? Any suggestions a easy cool use for this?

That CPU is slow, like slower than you could possibly imagine, slower than a homebuilt NAS with a $90 Core i3, slower than a fanless laptop. 4 Skylake cores at a low clock just cannot hang. 3GHz max turbo frequency.

If you want to do video editing or 3D modelling, you'd be swapping that CPU for something faster, which you could probably get used for pretty cheap. Chuck the 15k RPM disks to recycling. They are not worth the power to run, you'd want to put SSDs in there, but I'm guessing you can't boot from NVMe on PCIe so you're probably getting SATA disks.

500GB is plenty of disk for a hypervisor that isn't doing anything, what workloads would you actually want to run on the VMs? 2.5" chassis aren't great for cheap home NAS boxes. What do you want to run? A NAS / Plex box?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Originally I imagined it as a NAS with all those HDD slots, but the more I've read about PERC vs SWRAID makes me hesitant to put any effort into it. Plus 2.5" like you said isn't cheap. It's a cool chassis but I just sort of stumbled into it and don't have a close attachment to it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most perc cards need to be flashed to work well with nas software.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I had a Perc H730P. They can't be flashed unfortunately. Annoyingly, the have an "HBA mode" but it's no good. I can't recall exactly why but it was a pain in the arse so I sold mine and bought a different one off the Art of Server guy with the money.

-edit -
Yeah, I had a check through some threads I'd saved at the time and they appear to work, but the speed is poo poo, passing them through fails among other stuff. Something about mfi drivers.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 26, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So I haven't been able to get Windows Backup to run successfully yet since getting my Unraid NAS going a few weeks ago (wife's mac mini has been running timemachine without issue). I tried disableing the system image backup, and then ran into an error where Windows Backup said it couldn't back up any files on one of my pc drives because it's "not a supported drive type." The disk it is complaining about is the oldest drive in my pc, a WDC Blue that's more than 10 years old at this point. It is also the only one formatted FAT32 for some reason.

Is the format the likely culprit here? I could move everything (~400GB) off this drive onto another one in this machine and reformat it to NTFS if so. Should I try a third party back up software instead of the Windows default?

edit: reformatted and it worked fine, guess windows backup doesn't like FAT

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 27, 2023

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I am having a weird issue with truenas scale where the pool that I imported does not let me access all the folders. It should be set for full read/write permission for the whole thing but I can access like 2 folders and the rest it says I don't have permission.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

What user/group are you using, and what user/group are those directories?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Trapick posted:

What user/group are you using, and what user/group are those directories?

I made a group called Family, then made a non admin user with full read/write permissions. I went into the ACL editor for my dataset and added the group also with full read/write permissions.

E: unless you are talking about the old ones

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Hate to double post but this is what it looks like and maybe someone can help me.

The data from my old setup was just in the base directory of an old pool (ShareDrive). In my new setup, I have the new pool (Athena) and a new dataset directory (Apollo). I can change the sharing properties for the new Apollo dataset directory, but because there is no folder other than the root directory for ShareDrive, it won't let me edit permissions. I still have the thumdrive with my old TrueNAS install on it, but I am concerned because I don't know that my hardware is supported in the non-Scale environment. I can provide screenshots for folks if that makes life easier, but I have sort of exhausted my google efforts.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I'm trying to set up a home NAS on an old PC. I don't need it to do anything fancy, don't want raid/spanned volumes or docker or anything, I just want it to appear to anything on my home network and to be able to send and receive files to it (and maybe run a plex server or equivalent). I've tried openmediavault since one of its selling points is that it works out the box but I couldn't get that working, and I've even tried throwing a copy of Windows 10 on there to see if I can use the inbuilt networking poo poo to do it but that isn't working either.

What's the most idiot-proof way of doing this? When I asked about this a couple of weeks ago someone suggested unRAID but I'd rather not use that if possible since it's not free.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 29, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

oh no computer posted:

I'm trying to set up a home NAS on an old PC. I don't need it to do anything fancy, don't want raid/spanned volumes or docker or anything, I just want it to appear to anything on my home network and to be able to send and receive files to it (and maybe run a plex server or equivalent). I've tried openmediavault since one of its selling points is that it works out the box but I couldn't get that working, and I've even tried throwing a copy of Windows 10 on there to see if I can use the inbuilt networking poo poo to do it but that isn't working either.

What's the most idiot-proof way of doing this? When I asked about this a couple of weeks ago someone suggested unRAID but I'd rather not use that if possible since it's not free.

Unraid is the easiest if you don’t want to tinker.

If you’re tinker-curious, TrueNAS works well. Can’t comment on other options.

If I were you, I’d just pay for Unraid. You’ll waste more time trying to get poo poo working the way you want and googling weird errors.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I feel like TrueNAS isn't that much more complicated. If you're averse to paying for the software, I'd suggest at least taking a look at it. You can always go back to Unraid if it doesn't look like what you want.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have this Windows 7 era file sharing guide bookmarked to get me through setting up folder shares on new computers. (I skip the guest middle bit.) It's pretty dated, but pretty much everything there still exists in classic control panel form somewhere in Windows 10.

If you still have Windows 10 on that computer, maybe you still can get the inbuilt networking poo poo going?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean technically yeah, you can just enable folder sharing on any old Windows machine and call it a NAS if you want. I've done it with my parents' HTPC so I can tell them "just drag files to this folder to get them on the TV, you don't need to walk back and forth with flash drives."

Software RAID options in Windows are very different from Unraid/ZFS and would be considered inferior by many, you'll have to reboot more often for updates if you don't block them, and doing any kind of complex permissions without having a domain is probably a mess/impossible depending on how complex. If you just want a network drive for yourself and won't be using RAID anyway though, then it should be possible to get a reasonably functional solution.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Can the thread comment on how easy it is to get a VM with GPU passthrough up and running on TrueNAS Scale vs Unraid? Currently running Unraid as my media server and TrueNAS Core as my canonical data storage.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Not trivial, but that's not really the case on any OS.

It's basically the same setup as on FreeBSD, except you have to use the Systems/Tunables page to put in the loader.conf variable(s).

No matter the OS, prepare to get really intimate with your bios PCIe settings in hope of finding something that works.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Thanks. I still have Windows 10 installed on it so I'll try that guide Flipperwaldt posted, but if I can't get that working I'll give TrueNAS a go. Do I want Core or Scale or does it not really matter?

Edit: OK I got the Windows share working, but the transfer speeds are really slow. Tried writing some files and I'm getting 11MB/s. This can't be normal right? It's like 10x slower than the speeds I get over USB.

Edit2: Swapped the ethernet cable, now getting >100MB/s. Nice.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 30, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tip for later: If your transfer speeds are near a "round" number like that*, check the link speed - it's exposed ~somewhere~ in Windows, or worst case your switch probably has some way to indicate it.

* 8 bits to a byte, so 100 Mbit is 12.5 MByte/s, and Gbit is 125 MB/s. Remove a little bit of overhead, and SMB transfers should peak somewhere between 100 and 120 MB/s on gbit.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 30, 2023

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Checking to see if this makes sense or if I'm missing something obvious:

I have two SAS drives that I got cheap before having any idea what SAS was. Having learned what it was, I bought a flashed LSI two port controller and added them to the PC using the cheap cables you can get on amazon that go from 8088 to 8482 with the drives themselves mounted in one of those minimalistic laser-cut acrylic racks you can mount a fan on. This worked...mostly well. One drive started throwing errors after a few months, but the other seems fine. I'm beginning to think those 8088 to 8482 adapters are problematic, as I need to reseat them now and again, and since adding two more SATA drives to the rack (with the requisite adapters from 8482 to SATA) those have been a bit wonky as well. Googling around, it sounds like those cables are fairly well despised and people prefer the use of backplanes (since that's what SAS was meant to be used with anyhow).

So here's my idea:

Using an old ATX case, I mount the drives on a backplane and power the whole thing with a PC PSU and one of these:

amazon.com/dp/B08B62DMSY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

....and then connect that to the LSI controller via 8088. No motherboard, just sort of using the PSU exclusively to provide power and do more or less what I already have been doing, just with more reliable hardware (I think?)

I already have the drives running 24/7 on the existing setup since there's no shutdown on the AC to Molex power supplies I've been using, so it's not a huge deal to do similar here and it would cut down on one AC cable at least.

Does this make sense? Am I neglecting to consider something here in terms of how this will end up working?

Alternatively: are there any actual reliable 8088 to 8482 cables out there?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Question for the thread. My current setup is a TrueNAS system which is my "canonical" dataset, backing by rsync up to an Unraid system that hosts Plex and other services. Recently I turned on ACL permissions on the TrueNAS system which led to some files/directories being unreadable on the Unraid system due to a permissions issue. On TrueNAS users root, plex, rsync all have full permission but it doesn't appear any of these users on the Unraid system have permission to read the files. I am not well-versed at unix permissions so hoping there is an obvious answer here.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Smashing Link posted:

Question for the thread. My current setup is a TrueNAS system which is my "canonical" dataset, backing by rsync up to an Unraid system that hosts Plex and other services. Recently I turned on ACL permissions on the TrueNAS system which led to some files/directories being unreadable on the Unraid system due to a permissions issue. On TrueNAS users root, plex, rsync all have full permission but it doesn't appear any of these users on the Unraid system have permission to read the files. I am not well-versed at unix permissions so hoping there is an obvious answer here.

Welcome to hell.

https://linux.die.net/man/5/nfs4_acl

edit: oh are you just using rsync? Make sure it has the -aAX flags, and obviously the user should be the same id on both ends

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 3, 2023

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

Welcome to hell.

https://linux.die.net/man/5/nfs4_acl

edit: oh are you just using rsync? Make sure it has the -aAX flags, and obviously the user should be the same id on both ends

Oof. I think I will go back to regular permissions for now and maybe try ACLs again at a later time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looking at doing a new build and copying instead of upgrading my current NAS. Currently running proxmox, with the SATA controllers passed into a FreeBSD VM.

What would a modern day replacement for the SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F-O look like? I like my Xeon-D 1541 but looking for a 2023 version. Requirements are remote management capable, want ECC, and the ability to connect up to 10 SATA spinners through onboard or peripheral cards.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I want to add an ssd cache to my ds923+, is there a particular reason to stick to the synology branded drives compared to something like WD SN700's? They're not listed on the compatibility list for this model but look ideal, having double the rated endurance, faster read/write speeds (though it might be limited by the nas m.2 interface), and half the cost.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ephphatha posted:

I want to add an ssd cache to my ds923+, is there a particular reason to stick to the synology branded drives compared to something like WD SN700's? They're not listed on the compatibility list for this model but look ideal, having double the rated endurance, faster read/write speeds (though it might be limited by the nas m.2 interface), and half the cost.

Can't help with the Synology compatibility aspect, but i wouldn't worry so much about the advertised sequential read/write speeds. In most cases on one end you're going to be limited by the speed of your spinny disk array, and on the other end by the speed of your network connection, both of which are typically significantly slower than even the cheaper NVMe SSDs on the market currently. Those speeds are only really relevant when you're frequently moving large files between drive and RAM e.g. with some video editing workloads.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ephphatha posted:

I would use a reputable disk from a major brand and call it a day. It's all linux under the hood. Don't use the write cache and it will never matter.

SSD read cache makes Apple Time Machine backups way faster. As does doing it over a wire instead of wifi.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Good point about the network being the limiting factor, now if only I had made this decision last week when sn700's were on sale :negative:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I've got a Precision T5820 that I'm planning to throw Debian on to come back to the ZFS dark side (and consolidate a couple other low-impact functions). The last time I built a ZFS box I just used the SATA ports on the motherboard, but this time I've got a LSI 9300-16i so I can use all 8 drive bays on the chassis and still have room to spare in case I want to get really wild and pull my lenovo sa120 back out.

Is there any strong feeling one way or the other regarding putting the boot/system mirror on the same controller as the ZFS capacity disks versus leaving them on the x299 chipset SATA ports on the motherboard?

I originally had another question trying to sort out what the hell Intel VMD and RSTe/VROC is and whether it's just more software RAID bullshit, but the very last question on the FAQ doc says only Win10 is supported which settles that. It would be neat to take advantage of the mini-SAS SFF ports directly on the motherboard but I'll live. BIOS lets you choose either VMD mode or NVMe which kinda suggests this is all only for NVMe drives anyway.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep my boot devices on onboard controllers just to rule out any fuckery with option ROMs; sometimes I don't even bother flashing a boot ROM when I reflash an LSI controller because I'll never use it.