Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's a loving school, not a prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

YF-23 posted:

It's a loving school, not a prison.

School is basically prison

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
I think, with Anthony around, any place would be a prison.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's less a school and more a research and containment facility that is enclosing a forest full of mysterious creatures that are potentially dangerous to mankind, that has in its student base people who can involuntarily alter reality around them, and super geniuses that can build nukes from thumb tacks. On the school grounds there's a murderghost who will not just kill you, but also murder *your soul*. Periodically monstrous tree creatures escape and attempt to infect the surrounding area, or possess people fatally. There's a freaking knight with a magic sword. Every student is fitted with a tracking device.

It's not a school, it's the front line.

You think someone who put a thumbprint on the moon can just walk around as if nothing happened?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 30, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

Look ahead. The rest of her friends will be graduating and leaving Gunnerkrigg Court.

Her best friend that's a machine god [And whose parents work at the school], her friend that is the diplomat to the people next door to the school, her other friend that is that guy's protector and girlfriend, or her friend that is a magical creature bound to her? Which one of those do you see leaving exactly?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I forget now, was the "they monitor us through the food" thing real or was it Jack making poo poo up in conspiracy mode? I vaguely recall Jones confirming it maybe.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Blackheart posted:

I forget now, was the "they monitor us through the food" thing real or was it Jack making poo poo up in conspiracy mode? I vaguely recall Jones confirming it maybe.

Jones confirmed it.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=724

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fangz posted:

This chapter isn't over yet.

EDIT: (I suspect the next step would be to restrict her access to Kat, probably on the basis that Kat is suspected of complicity, and might nevertheless help Annie cheat even if she was in a different year.)

EDIT2: Homework copying is incredibly widespread in schools. It is, to my knowledge, not in fact a grounds for expulsion - which is more usual if a student is disruptive to the rest of class or has chosen to reject a prior warning. In practice it is difficult to distinguish copying from peer tuition which is encouraged. There are also enormous extenuating circumstances here - the Court has put huge external stresses on Annie, in terms of giving her external subjects that are potentially life threatening.

Dude I don't know what bullshit school you attended but where I come from this sorta cheating, to this extent, is gonna get you kicked out. And even with peer tuition, mistakes aren't going to be perfectly identical all the time.

Moreover, she started cheating way before most of the magical stuff happened. She did it out of her own free will.

Repeating a year isn't particularly unusual here, either. If your grade is below a minimum, you repeat, simple as that.

I think quite a few people here are applying the US "no one left behind" sensibility. Repeating a year is not the end of the world, guys. And supplemental classes are not going to cut it with the sheer level of cheating she did. Worst case-scenario she knows nothing in literally every subject but two.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The first step would be to *determine what Antimony actually knows*, and what the extent of the cheating was, not treat the retention as a fait accompli. When did the cheating start, anyway? Given that she was put into custody of a freaking murderer God within weeks? months? of starting school, that sounds like a stressful situation.

(Also, I taught, moron. And yes, in the UK.)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kyte posted:

Dude I don't know what bullshit school you attended but where I come from this sorta cheating, to this extent, is gonna get you kicked out.

At age 14? If you were in your proper final years, sure, of course, but at age 14? With no warning?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 30, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I have to wonder whether the Court's decision on Annie's status as their medium wasn't influenced by her cheating, and skipping out on detention as much as her just being too cozy with the forest/Coyote for their liking. Their intentions are still opaque as concrete

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How much maths homework do you think Zimmy does? What about Gamma, who still can't speak English? What about all the vandalizing of school property they did? Surely they should all be expelled!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
While I agree that I don't see this sticking as it wouldn't make for good story to have Annie buckling down on her school work or whatever, the story barely focuses on the actual school work as is, so it could work out in that sense. My bet is having her retake a bunch of tests, maybe have a study montage, etc. Although it would amuse me if both happened, "You retook all your finals and...you failed." Then again I might be a bit of a sadist (I loved the end of The Mist movie :v:).

Kikas posted:

If this is why "the apple doesn't fall far away from the tree" I will laugh my rear end off.

I would like this as well. The title page needs to fit somehow I guess.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Brightman posted:

Although it would amuse me if both happened, "You retook all your finals and...you failed."

So basically Billy Madison with Gods.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Annie kind of has a problem with authority. She knew Coyote was The Coyote and spanked him anyway. Renardine has been telling her for years that she shouldn't be cheating and has been doing it anyway. Annie knew the prohibition against unauthorized access to the forest and went anyway. She then proceeded to skip the detentions she got for doing so. The only authority figure she seems to respect other than her father is Ysengrin, who is a similarly cold, no-nonsense person. Jones gets an honorable mention, but since exercising authority isn't really her thing, and she actually isn't all that cold, it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Basically, she wouldn't have been good at following the court's orders as their medium, and the court knew that. And to them that is definitely a liability.

e: grammar

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2015

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Nettle Soup posted:

I wonder if Tony cheated off Donny when he was at school... Probably not, but a lot of similarities have been shown between the generations.
Or maybe Surma cheated off Anja.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Annie kind of has a problem with authority. She knew Coyote was The Coyote and spanked him anyway. Renardine has been telling her for years that she shouldn't be cheating and has been doing it anyway. Annie knew the prohibition against unauthorized access to the forest and went anyway. She then proceeded to skip the detentions she got for doing so. The only authority figure she seems to respect other than her father is Ysengrin, who is a similarly cold, no-nonsense person. Jones gets an honorable mention, but since exercising authority isn't really her thing, and she actually isn't all the cold, it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Basically, she wouldn't have been good at following the court's orders as their medium, and the court new that. And to them that is definitely a liability.

I get the impression Antimony respects people who are straight with her, which is Coyote, Reynardine, Ysengrin, Jones, Anja, and Donald. Not so much Eglamore, Llewellyn, or the Court in general.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah echoing that being held back a year is school is very uncommon here in the UK, and with Annie's classmates being her social group and room mates as well, this is both a massive humiliation for Annie and potentially cuts her off from her friends significantly. So much so that I don't really believe it'll happen, someone has to intervene on Annie's behalf here.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rand Brittain posted:

I get the impression Antimony respects people who are straight with her, which is Coyote, Reynardine, Ysengrin, Jones, Anja, and Donald. Not so much Eglamore, Llewellyn, or the Court in general.

Coyote might always speak the truth but he is anything but direct. Reynardine is like a father but at the end of the day when he overtly tries to act that way (like how we would want a father to act) it just reminds her that he isn't her father, and she pushes him away. She stole that picture from the Donlans, which I think is indicative of a certain lack of respect. She obviously cares about all of those people, but that, I think, is different from respect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's probably worth noting that the biggest reason Renard is 'straight' with Antimony is because he's literally incapable of lying to her.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
EDIT: nevermind

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I reckon the 'isolating her from her support network' is a bit much.

Remember, Anthony has never come across as some master manipulator who isolates his targets and torments them for kicks. He's emotionally clueless and terrified of anything outside his bubble of cold logic. Which is why, like people have said, his actions even seem reasonable-ish as a teacher, but he deals with his fatherly responsibilities by pretending they don't exist.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

If Kat doesn't drop the bomb that Annie's father is the one who put her in the infirmary by performing space bone surgery next page sometime this chapter, I will be very unhappy.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bonus points if Zimmy clocks him in the jaw again.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Inglonias posted:

If Kat doesn't drop the bomb that Annie's father is the one who put her in the infirmary by performing space bone surgery next page sometime this chapter, I will be very unhappy.

Does she remember that, though?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
She remembers the dream, I imagine, otherwise she wouldn't have asked Annie if she thought her dad was involved. To literally interpret what appears to have been a dream doesn't strike me as something Kat would do, though, even if she does hates him.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If Kat insults or accuses Anthony here it will only result in her earning Annie's ire.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

She remembers the dream, I imagine, otherwise she wouldn't have asked Annie if she thought her dad was involved. To literally interpret what appears to have been a dream doesn't strike me as something Kat would do, though, even if she does hates him.

Evidently Kat's memories of that night faded like a dream might.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really hope at some point we see Anthony meet Zimmy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Parts Kit posted:

Or maybe Surma cheated off Anja.

Maybe Surma cheated off Anthony?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Strategic Tea posted:

I reckon the 'isolating her from her support network' is a bit much.

Remember, Anthony has never come across as some master manipulator who isolates his targets and torments them for kicks. He's emotionally clueless and terrified of anything outside his bubble of cold logic. Which is why, like people have said, his actions even seem reasonable-ish as a teacher, but he deals with his fatherly responsibilities by pretending they don't exist.

You don't have to be a brilliant schemer with a sophisticated grasp of psychology to be abusive

Angry idiots do it all the time without even thinking about it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Maybe Surma cheated off Anthony?

No, it's pretty clear Anthony is Annie's father.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect if any intervention happens it'll be from Donald. Of course Kat is going to go to her parents about this, and I'd be very surprised if we don't learn about their view of Anthony's return this chapter.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Annie kind of has a problem with authority. She knew Coyote was The Coyote and spanked him anyway. Renardine has been telling her for years that she shouldn't be cheating and has been doing it anyway. Annie knew the prohibition against unauthorized access to the forest and went anyway. She then proceeded to skip the detentions she got for doing so. The only authority figure she seems to respect other than her father is Ysengrin, who is a similarly cold, no-nonsense person. Jones gets an honorable mention, but since exercising authority isn't really her thing, and she actually isn't all that cold, it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Basically, she wouldn't have been good at following the court's orders as their medium, and the court knew that. And to them that is definitely a liability.

e: grammar

Ysengrin = dad, drat how did I miss that.

Also haha Annie looks like she is literally taking a bullet for Kat.

Also I am really weirded out by how drat ugly Anthony looks. Like I guess he got into some poo poo, what with his hand.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 30, 2015

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

e:

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 30, 2015

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

MikeJF posted:

At age 14? If you were in your proper final years, sure, of course, but at age 14? With no warning?

That's a bit more than having cheated on your math homeworks, though. Widespread, repeated over a few years cheating would get you expelled in my country as well. And god helps you if you do so on certain final exams. They do not gently caress around with that.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Magnificent!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Superb. I'm tempted to take this for my avatar, but I can't think of a good quote to go with it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not even really sure what a school is supposed to do when it comes out that they've been ignoring a problem like this for an unconscionable length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

This syncs with my music!!!!

actually I'm not listening to music right now but I feel like there's a song that goes well with Kat's stomping tantrum but I can't think of it right now.