Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nord never bothered me when I played CS1, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

MythosDragon posted:

Loved it?
Idk what anyone is really talking about, Nord was my favorite part of CS1.

I don’t think it’s a bad section of the game at all, it’s actually fairly memorable. It’s just that due to sheer size and the backtracking you have to do if you want to do everything, I can imagine it can get exhausting to play on weaker hardware with no turbo mode.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

MythosDragon posted:

Loved it?
Idk what anyone is really talking about, Nord was my favorite part of CS1. Though it is slightly annoying that symbols respawn so you're in danger of fighting the same battle twice if you don't explore methodically. But I played Tales of Xillia first and you're in danger of that on every map in the game. Really just a danger of Symbol encounter systems in general.

I’m sorry the what encounter system

I was more referencing the fact that the area is loving huge even with the turbo button lmao

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I had no problem with the Nord Highlands, because the scenery and the music are absolutely gorgeous.

MechaX posted:

I was more referencing the fact that the area is loving huge even with the turbo button lmao

Symbol encounters, meaning you can see where the encounters are on the map.

This is opposed to random encounters, which occur, well, randomly.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

MechaX posted:

Symbol Encounter is the official terminology for enemy symbols wandering around the field, and contact with them results in starting a battle on a separate field. I'm not a game dev so this might be wrong, but the logic is that internal development logic calls most things you can interact with on a map "Symbols", and well enemies are among those, so theyre Enemy Symbols who start Symbol Encounters. Pretty much any rpg with a tutorial about how to start fights will call them this, so it's always baffled me how uncommon knowledge of this term is, though google and the like at best linking you to the pokemon wiki if you search it up obviously doesnt help.

Here's a thing about adding it to RPGMaker if you want: https://dragonflare.blue/dcave/mz_docs/SoR_EnemySymbolEncounter_e.pdf

I'm gonna start replaying games and making sure to take a screenshots and start a folder of all the times an RPG calls them this with how many times I've explained this talking to people lmao.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I can only imagine how people who played the Vita version of Cold Steel felt about that area.

As someone who played it, and also played Sky pre-turbo, they were both fine.

Come fight me on it.

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Super baffled nobody knows the term Symbol Encounter. Its in the tutorial of every rpg. Source: documentation for the Symbol Encounter System plugin by the development studio Dragon Cave, whose credits include Perv Butler Rhapsody.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ngl, I did do a google search for it because I have never heard it called that a single time in my life (usually they just say "the encounters are not random" and we get the gist that they're on the overworld) and came up with... not much but a Pokemon Sword and Shield presentation in Japanese where it's mentioned once. Then I did a search on this site and saw exactly 9 search results going back to 2015, with a third of said results being this topic.

And then I just tabled my absolute confusion by starting this swim competition event with Class VII

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
let's go laura

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
As if Laura needs support to win a swim competition.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've been playing and discussing JRPGs for over thirty years and everyone, everywhere, refers to them as fixed encounters.

Because they're not random.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 4, 2024

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Today I learned that FOE doesn't stand for Fixed Optional Enemy and instead is Formido Oppugnatura Exsequen and I can't unlearn that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they're enemies

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nephrite posted:

Today I learned that FOE doesn't stand for Fixed Optional Enemy and instead is Formido Oppugnatura Exsequen and I can't unlearn that.

I mean, it's a backronym pulled out of an arse, so it's not like you have to worry about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

F O E! F O E!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Just made it to the final chapter in Cold Steel 1. I’ll save a lot of my thoughts until after I finish it but goddamn, this game is long.

I’m kinda waiting to see if the ending is crazy enough to make me jump straight into CS2 or if I’ll take a break and probably start it back up in the late summer. I kind of have a feeling on where this is all going given Azure already text-dumped some major events, but we’ll see what happens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephrite posted:

To be more precise:

It stands for that in the US.
In Japan it stands for "Field On Enemy"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MechaX posted:

I kind of have a feeling on where this is all going given Azure already text-dumped some major events

I am by no means mocking you, but this is the kind of sentence you will come back to a few games later and lmao about.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I'm early in CS2 and I find it amusing that Celine, who spent all of CS1 except for the very end pretending to be an ordinary housecat, is now happily chatting with General Vander and a dozen other people about the state of the war in the Nord highlands. Whatever, game is still fun and I'm enjoying it.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Trails to Walk is such a goofy mechanic, I love it. More games should have this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hepcat posted:

I'm early in CS2 and I find it amusing that Celine, who spent all of CS1 except for the very end pretending to be an ordinary housecat, is now happily chatting with General Vander and a dozen other people about the state of the war in the Nord highlands. Whatever, game is still fun and I'm enjoying it.

Being fair, she was mostly doing that to hide Emma's nature of being a witch, something that went out the window once poo poo hit the fan. It is on its face funny, though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

lol, lmao at the CS1 ending

I love how a lot of the conflict with the final boss boils down to "we've put way too much work into this concert and would rather fight an evil god in the basement rather than let it get cancelled."

I also did suspect Crow was C and that he would be the person that actually shot Osborne; what I did not expect was that everyone would get giant robots and for them to introduce a Xenogears-esque battle system at the eleventh hour.

Also lmao at Emma just being like "wait a loving minute, she's the radio lady???" when Misty had her evil reveal. Man, Emma is just sitting on all kinds of important info but I'll give her a pass since she apparently doesn't listen to Abend Time and she wasn't with us whenever we met up with Misty.

Well, can't just leave things at this cliffhanger and I think I can squeeze this in before the RPG deluge in June, so might as well get to it.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 11, 2024

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, CS1 feels to me like Falcom looked back at Sky FC's cliffhanger and thought "we can make this worse."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Funny, CS1’s ending hit me way harder than Sky 1’s ending. But CS1 was my first game into the series

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I teared up pretty good at Sky 1's ending. It got me good. CS1 was more of a "oh poo poo I can't wait to see what's next!" for me. Both effective, but in very different ways.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cold Steel 1’s ending just goes way harder, like having your favorite party member tearfully telling you goodbye as your mech is leaving autonomously and Rean is desperately trying to stay, as all your other friends are fighting in the battleground and the terrorists just did the thing they were after definitely makes you wanna see the aftermath ASAP just because you wanna know all your buddies are okay and how badly the big plot things have shaken up the world.

Sky FC, I mean, I wanted to know what happened, but it was more in the sense that the story definitely felt like the preamble to the real adventure until like 75% into the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Funny, CS1’s ending hit me way harder than Sky 1’s ending. But CS1 was my first game into the series

I don't think Some Numbers meant "worse" as a bad thing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sky 1 was more just a gut punch and CS1 was more of an "ohhh poo poo" type of wanting to know what happens next.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FC hurt me a hell of a lot more than CS2.
I did have to wait 5 years for it over knowing I shouldnt finish CS1 till 2 was out, so I didnt though.
CS2 ending however is probably like the 2nd most emotional a game has ever had me. Only one game clearly surpasses that, and it felt like I got kicked in the dick a few dozen times in a row.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I definitely meant "worse" as in, "how can we make a more brutal cliffhanger"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The cliffhanger makes the opening One of the better opening lines in a game, in my opinion.

Edit
Of CS2. I had the line, but removed it. Personally, spoiling a good line read/joke bothers me way, way, way more than plot details.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 13, 2024

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I'm not super far in CS2 but honestly I like this a lot more than CS1 in comparison

But that's more because a lot of the bullshit so far in CS2 seems absolutely tailor-made for me. Every scene when Valimar gets to do something rocks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Acknowledged

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If you’re a fan of Mobile Suit Gundam or any Super Robot show then CS2 is going to be your jam

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MechaX posted:

I'm not super far in CS2 but honestly I like this a lot more than CS1 in comparison

But that's more because a lot of the bullshit so far in CS2 seems absolutely tailor-made for me. Every scene when Valimar gets to do something rocks

CS2 is my favorite game in the series (the greater series). So, you know. Remember that the "consensus" is never what's definitive. Only what is loud.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like them all. I just wish the finer aiming from Steel onwards was present in the earlier games because once you have it, you love it, and the grid based system isn't as good at letting you tap the aim until you juuuuust manage to get the most enemies in one AoE.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Most of the complaints about CS2 are about the latter half.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

CS2 is my favorite game in the series (the greater series). So, you know. Remember that the "consensus" is never what's definitive. Only what is loud.

While it's definitely not my favorite, I also liked CS2 a lot. Blue Destination is one of the more iconic tracks (CS1 and CS2 in general have superior soundtracks to CS3/CS4 IMO). I'm also a big Crow fan, which is apparently a very uncommon view in this thread.

I think that, weirdly, I might actually rank Sky SC the lowest? Like its conclusion is great, but I remember very little from the first ~2/3 of the game.

My favorite is very solidly Daybreak 1 though, that's probably my only uncontested ranking. Everything after that is a bit tough to rank (aside from ranking the Crossbell games and Sky 1 above all the Cold Steel games), since they have very different strengths.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
CS2 is probably also my favorite so far, from FC to Reverie. You've just got to know that the second half periodically says, "Okay, story's done for a bit, now go play in these dungeons with all these cool toys we gave you." Like Reverie, except I liked that part in CS2. :v: The story's good the whole way through, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

CS2's ending is still the best scene in the series, so its probably my favorite too. And really, ranking individual scenes like that, gameplay systems, and characters are all I can really do. Like SCs gameplay systems actively hamper the narrative by robbing most of the cast of agency for mass swathes of the game, but its still Trails, so its still a pretty easy 11/10, all the games mix together quality wise like any long series' arcs.