Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Don't forget, they couldn't havemade the cost X1BB instead.
That convoke cost isn't nothing, and in standard the issue with this or mind shatter/mind twist would be how early you could cast it for more than 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The only M15 convoke spell I remember making a splash in standard was Stoke the Flames, which was admittedly a mainstay. (apropos of nothing in particular)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I think Chord saw play in the super standard before m14 and whatever expansion sets rotated out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mehall posted:

I think Chord saw play in the super standard before m14 and whatever expansion sets rotated out.

I remember people trying, but not necessarily succeeding with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Obelisk of Urd showed up in token-y decks sometimes as well.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
As little as the Convoke cards impacted standard, M15 draft was basically ruined by the Convoke cards being VASTLY overpowered for commons. Triplicate Spirits is a messed up magic card. Like yeah if there's 5 white drafters it might even out, but if there is only two white/green drafters they just got hooked up and ran the tables.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got smashed by a triple Triplicate Spirits deck with a Goblin Rabblemaster in my first ever prerelease. Next match I got steamrolled by Soul of Theros.

(Did win the first match, though, against a Hornet Queen.)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Soul of Theros.

M15 had some hosed up bombs in it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

I got smashed by a triple Triplicate Spirits deck with a Goblin Rabblemaster in my first ever prerelease. Next match I got steamrolled by Soul of Theros.

(Did win the first match, though, against a Hornet Queen.)

The only game (or match) I lost with my 3x Triplicate Spirits, Chord, 2x Avacyn, dong wurm deck was to the guy who had Soul of Theros on 6 twice. I made a game of it with my Avacyn but he drew his 1 piece of removal before I could draw one of my 5-ish or my 2nd Avacyn. Also apparently there was a card that gives things -1/-1 which was a fun card to commit turn 3 and 4 Triplicate Spirits into. I'm so glad they did away with those stupid seeded packs. It was really annoying only having a 5 pack pool after picking black and opening a total of like 4 playable cards between all 6 packs.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Got my Arena invite and from the little I played I must say I honestly prefer the MODO gameplay and UI to the flashier hearthstone/eternal stuff they are aiming for with Arena. It doesn't really work for magic imo. My main gripe with MODO is the lovely economy model and it's ridiculous prices and not really the actual gameplay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dan Ward cheating on camera again. You do you Dan.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mcmagic posted:

What did he do this time?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

What did he do this time?

He got path'd and tried to play a Gladecover Scout off the forest he got from Path lol. Because he never plays modern and doesn't know how PTE works.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

He got path'd and tried to play a Gladecover Scout off the forest he got from Path lol. Because he never plays modern and doesn't know how PTE works.

Seems like every time he is on camera doing well he makes mistakes or misunderstands how cards work. Dan‘s accidents / sloppy plays / rules misunderstandings also always help him and never hurt him outside of his reputation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

He speeds up play during these "mistakes" too. Funny how that works.

I have played a single match against Dan in a team open and our match was a mess of judge calls because he would attempt to take these long, complex lines at warp speed only for me wanting to slow down and get them right. 2/3 times he made an illegal board state when I objected. He only got one warning though. I was on the other side of bogles though and won.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I want to force this announcer who continually talks poo poo about mismatched cards to be forced to watch me play forever. I intentionally use mismatched art, borders and printings just to make my deck look more random.

Fight me bitch.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I want to force this announcer who continually talks poo poo about mismatched cards to be forced to watch me play forever. I intentionally use mismatched art, borders and printings just to make my deck look more random.

Fight me bitch.

My Tron lands are a mess of arts and Antiquities and white borders and I love it that way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

LifeLynx posted:

My Tron lands are a mess of arts and Antiquities and white borders and I love it that way.

As it should be. That is the correct way to use tron lands. One of each art and a mix of black and white borders. Your choice on towers for the fourth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I consider that bordering on lovely. And it crosses that line if they're different languages.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

I consider that bordering on lovely. And it crosses that line if they're different languages.

All kinds of languages. English, German, French, Japanese, Korean and Chinese. None of my cards match if I can help it.

Edit: oh and Russian and Spanish , too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As it should be. That is the correct way to use tron lands. One of each art and a mix of black and white borders. Your choice on towers for the fourth.

One of each art? That's too organized. I've got like three of the same Mine art from Antiquities and a different art white bordered one.

These are the lands I've had since I was a kid, so my nostalgia is the only thing beating out my OCD.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Fight me bitch.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get a GP promo Emrakul so I can finish my mismatch quartet.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All kinds of languages. English, German, French, Japanese, Korean and Chinese. None of my cards match if I can help it.

Edit: oh and Russian and Spanish , too.

I think he might be referring to Tron Lands specifically? There's some SCG player (Ari Lax?) who is famous for using mismatched, (foreign?) Urza lands. Because there are so many different Urza lands, it's pretty difficult to tell exactly which ones are which types from across the table.

Especially if you're not familar with old cards.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 11, 2018

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

I have a foil 9th edition Mine. Interested?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soul Glo posted:

yeah, but it's just called draft or booster draft. sealed's a different kind of limited where you open six boosters and make a deck.

but yes, play limited, figure out which format you wanna play, and buy the deck in singles.

Yeah I really want to play, but don't really feel like building a deck right now, so limited seems the way, got it!

I still love cracking booster packs, even if it isnt very money efficient (i love getting new cards for my collection)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Niton posted:

I think he might be referring to Tron Lands specifically? There's some SCG player (Ari Lax?) who is famous for using mismatched, (foreign?) Urza lands. Because there are so many different Urza lands, it's pretty difficult to tell exactly which ones are which types from across the table.

Especially if you're not familar with old cards.

I really want Urzatron to be printed in a MM set. The old ones are a loving nightmare to read across a table.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's how I got back last Fall. Would recommend. It's theoretically an equalizer in deck construction so you don't have to worry about showing up with your precon/welcome deck and just getting pasted, and it will start netting you a few Standard-relevant cards as you draft them so you can reduce the buy-in on a standard deck by owning/trading for a few things.

I would further recommend listening to the Limited Resources podcast, and practicing on Draftsim if for no other reason than to be familiar with the kinds of cards you'll see as you're passing packs around so you know them without having to stop and read each one.

Good luck, and remember it's just a kids game with little dragon and knight pictures-- don't get tilted.

thanks for the tips, i mainly love collecting them dragons and knights so I don't think I'll fly off the handle for losing. Limited feels very appealing right now, and there's a store not too far from my place of work.

Maybe I'll be more interested in constructed after a while.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
(I like opening like 10-15 booster packs per set, that seems right, after that all the commons and uncommons tend to repeat)

I notice they've been adding way more gold cards at uncommon rarity in sets, I like that.(partly because i like how they look)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

jesus loving christ i was just being an rear end in a top hat earlier but apparently he has a habit of making advantageous 'mistakes'

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I came in at the end of some mistake with Spider Umbra in the bogles vs humans match. What was the error and correction ?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Devor posted:

I came in at the end of some mistake with Spider Umbra in the bogles vs humans match. What was the error and correction ?

Dan could've used the umbra to destroy the phantasmal image but must have forgotten about that part of the card text and it would've allowed him to swing for lethal. Instead Syed chumped with the Image and the Dan lost on the swing back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Devor posted:

I didn’t see it but I would assume it wasn’t cast for the right mana or someone forgot totem armor. You can’t forget the trigger, it’s mandatory. If you can get your opponent to admit they were checking to see if you would remember the trigger it can lead to runny judge calls.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Top 8
Affinity
Grishoal
Burn x2
Elves
Jeskai Control
Traverse Shadow
Bogles

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tainen posted:

Top 8
Affinity
Grishoal
Burn x2
Elves
Jeskai Control
Traverse Shadow
Bogles

When's the Lantern ban coming, though???

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
We just had another game state screwup when Affinity players Rest in Peace should have turned off the death trigger from Arcbound Ravager, but game went on too far to rewind. Warnings for both players.

Game one had Turn 2 combo win from Grishoalbrand

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

(I like opening like 10-15 booster packs per set, that seems right, after that all the commons and uncommons tend to repeat)

I notice they've been adding way more gold cards at uncommon rarity in sets, I like that.(partly because i like how they look)

For quite a few years now they've roughly held to the principle of having 1 gold uncommon for each color pair, in a draft environment, to demonstrate the theme of that color pair for drafting.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If there's a Blood Moon in play, does that still turn off any "coming into play" abilities/triggers on nonbasic lands? For example, if I play a shockland do I still need to pay 2 life in order for my "Mountain" to come into play untapped? I thought some rule around how Blood Moon affected lands as they came into play changed recently.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

If there's a Blood Moon in play, does that still turn off any "coming into play" abilities/triggers on nonbasic lands? For example, if I play a shockland do I still need to pay 2 life in order for my "Mountain" to come into play untapped? I thought some rule around how Blood Moon affected lands as they came into play changed recently.

You don't need to pay 2 life anymore, it's just a Mountain.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

quote:

Currently in a game with one of these people right now. Been in the game for about 10 minutes, I'm playing esper sacrament, he's play RG dinosaurs. I have ripjaw and ranging raptors under ixalan's bindings, he's put polyraptor on top with a forerunner. I'm only playing one sacrament, so it's going to be a long while till this game ends, 42 cards in his deck still. He's running the clock on both of our turns, I'll update when the game's over. Reported the guy already on support

i'm the guy playing sanguine sacrament as my only wincon and complaining about people wasting my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
what is this fucken burn deck

"that's lantern control's music!!!"