Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Waffle House posted:

It's the same slam, just more of them iirc.

No. gently caress no. God no.

No.

Oh god.

No.

I would take D1 single slam over this loving terrible piece of poo poo any day.

The blast in D1 has a huge height and bigger radius. And the leap distance was at least double. And it actually did enough damage to shutdown enemy supers. You could add beefy aftershocker that did real damage or shockwave for even more distance.

D2 roaming super is loving aids and is a detrimental half the time. I use the class for its sexy double pulse nades only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't forget that the double nade perk tree also gives you the "more height = more damage" modifier, so if you activate Fist at the bottom of a staircase and land at the top, you do LESS damage

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Heyyy check out the gun in the background.

CheeseFactory posted:

No.

Oh god.

No.

The blast in D1 has a huge height and bigger radius. And the leap distance was at least double. And it actually did enough damage to shutdown enemy supers. You could add beefy aftershocker that did real damage or shockwave for even more distance.

D2 roaming super is loving aids and is a detrimental half the time. I use the class for its sexy double pulse nades only.

Terrible. :thunk: This sucks a ton of balls.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Finally, the poor neglected hive get some representation

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Hive haven't done anything since Oryx died, since then we got a Fallen campaign, a Cabal campaign and a Vex campaign. It's pretty much their turn again.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

haveblue posted:

Kinda wondering how "you get special rewards for winning a lot more than you lose" squares with "the matchmaking service will try to hold everyone to a 50% win rate"

this was a while ago, but matchmaking (vaguely) tries to give you a 50 percent chance of winning a match, it doesn't try to make sure you win 50 percent of your matches. a lot of people mix this up, and over time average-ish players will gravitate towards fifty percent winrate, but the way the system (ideally) works is to just give you a generally fair shake in matches, not make sure you walk out of half of them a winner and half of them a loser.

also, i don't know if they actually said what game types used glory and valor.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 25, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
vigilance wing good even when you can't click heads so good

"You're surrounded, it's OVER!"

Heh... nothing personnel

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CheeseFactory posted:

No.

Oh god.

No.

100% agree

You can survive a titan slam by floofing/jumping/jetpacking to your max height as they slam under you. It's way more impotent than it used to be. It would be good if the shoulder charge was a one hit kill in super, but it isn't. If Eternal warrior gave you a d1 slam I'd never use anything else.

Striker really stinks now that all the other bad supers have been buffed. Now that Armamentarium is coming back hammers is probably going to be my main.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

ORRRRR, or... or maybe... we put it on one planet as a Public Event that triggers every 15 minutes?

You can trigger it whenever you want I thought

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Legs Benedict posted:

You can trigger it whenever you want I thought

uhhhh if you think for ONE second that I'm going to know the facts before complaining a ton

then you can just accept my apology, Friend

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

uhhhh if you think for ONE second that I'm going to know the facts before complaining a ton

then you can just accept my apology, Friend

Luv u too buddy :hfive:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah, my understanding is that it's a new activity. i don't know if it's like poe with it's own playlist or if it's like court/forge, but it seemed like players can do it on-demand.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

cvnvcnv posted:

Escalation Protocol is activated by a Patrol beacon, basically, costs nothing, and is open-world involvement like a Public Event.

So... not really Fire Fight.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The idea that people complain of "handouts" in a loving video game is the most asinine thing imaginable. It's hard for me to process without seeing whoever invokes it as human trash.

If somebody's one of the ten best players in the world, I don't mind handing them some cool-rear end looking award that sticks out like a neon sign declaring their greatness to everyone while they're busy dismantling stacks of shaders in menus. That's fine. However, the idea that you "put the time in" to make basic progress is the kind of language used to justify making a social video game seem like a job.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Craptacular! posted:

The idea that people complain of "handouts" in a loving video game is the most asinine thing imaginable. It's hard for me to process without seeing whoever invokes it as human trash.

If somebody's one of the ten best players in the world, I don't mind handing them some cool-rear end looking award that sticks out like a neon sign declaring their greatness to everyone while they're busy dismantling stacks of shaders in menus. That's fine. However, the idea that you "put the time in" to make basic progress is the kind of language used to justify making a social video game seem like a job.

I'm not actually sure what feature (or missing feature?) you're disliking here.

They want to add a form of reward that's available Fast, if you play well, or Slow, if you don't play well. Seems like a pretty good solution to the "add incentive to play/win activities but ensure that no play session feels Wasted"

One thing I have mixed feelings on is gating Good PvP Gear behind Good PvP Performance. I'm not whining because I'll just :tenbux: it if I want it that badly, but balance-wise, it's questionable to make the best better. Conversely, are cosmetics a cool enough reward?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Increasing the grind and making power matter more sounds great, then I remember my titan has been forever 334 because I can't get a 330 chestpiece to save my life.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Am I wrong that the cool crucible gun would be unlocked some time far down the road for most casual “just playing a few hours crucible for the milestone per week” players? Like, the player only puts that much effort into crucible three months down the road the new cool awesome gun suddenly unlocks and they have a whole new reason to play some more? It seems like a good idea to me. If some sweaty boy wants to unlock it as soon as the game comes out be my guest but I’m cool with casual long term gains.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not actually sure what feature (or missing feature?) you're disliking here.

They want to add a form of reward that's available Fast, if you play well, or Slow, if you don't play well. Seems like a pretty good solution to the "add incentive to play/win activities but ensure that no play session feels Wasted"

One thing I have mixed feelings on is gating Good PvP Gear behind Good PvP Performance. I'm not whining because I'll just :tenbux: it if I want it that badly, but balance-wise, it's questionable to make the best better. Conversely, are cosmetics a cool enough reward?

As always, the trick is to make rad gear obtainable pretty quickly if you're güd, and provide a slow but steady path towards obtaining it if you're not. The last thing you want is for people to feel hopeless. But you also want to give people a drive to get it early and have it carry some cultural caché.

If you want to add a cosmetic differentiation, that's good too but it should be awesome.

Destiny 2 is hilarious because they did the total inversion, they made bad gear that's obtainable quickly in a way that feels hopeless. Just astoundingly bad decisions.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Am I wrong that the cool crucible gun would be unlocked some time far down the road for most casual “just playing a few hours crucible for the milestone per week” players? Like, the player only puts that much effort into crucible three months down the road the new cool awesome gun suddenly unlocks and they have a whole new reason to play some more? It seems like a good idea to me. If some sweaty boy wants to unlock it as soon as the game comes out be my guest but I’m cool with casual long term gains.

Yeah, like Clan levels there's Crucible ranks now. You unlock the sweet-rear end pulse rifle at rank 4 of 6.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Waffle House posted:

Yeah, like Clan levels there's Crucible ranks now. You unlock the sweet-rear end pulse rifle at rank 4 of 6.

Is there a good breakdown of the system yet anywhere? I understood that there was Valor and Glory, and they were tracked separately, and they each had different ranks, and one was for Wins and one was for Playtime, and presumably the reward for hitting "Valor 4" of 6 is different from "Glory 4"* of 6?

*my stage name

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there a good breakdown of the system yet anywhere? I understood that there was Valor and Glory, and they were tracked separately, and they each had different ranks, and one was for Wins and one was for Playtime, and presumably the reward for hitting "Valor 4" of 6 is different from "Glory 4"* of 6?

*my stage name

From https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/8emr1d/redrixs_claymore/dxwgbad/

quote:

Redrix’s Claymore is available only as a Glory Rank reward for reaching "Fabled" tier.
Valor & Glory feature these levels:

Guardian
Brave
Heroic
Fabled
Mythic
Legend

* Valor caps at 2000 Rank Points
* Glory caps at 5500 Rank Points

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Still unclear.

Glory is obtained from playing Competitive mode, and goes up on wins, and down from losses or from "decay" (not playing for a while)?

And Valor is obtained from playing Quickplay mode, and only goes up?

My takeaway here seems to be "we're adding a bunch of Competitive Playlist-specific rewards"

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

this sort of thing pops up a lot in pvp discussion, but broadly speaking, the people who are good enough to get the guns are going to be facing other people good enough to also get the guns.

in the days of random rolls, you could have people luck into god-rolled eyaslunas in bronze-tier elos and stuff, and they'd clean up, but good guns carrying people isn't really a thing to design around, and it's not really like wow twinks killing lowbies or something.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Still unclear.

Glory is obtained from playing Competitive mode, and goes up on wins, and down from losses or from "decay" (not playing for a while)?

And Valor is obtained from playing Quickplay mode, and only goes up?

My takeaway here seems to be "we're adding a bunch of Competitive Playlist-specific rewards"

do we actually know this, that glory and valor are playlist specific?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do we actually know this, that glory and valor are playlist specific?

The link in Waffle House's post had some reddit doofus say that, but who knows if it's accurate.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also, apparently 'valor and glory' is the name of an erotic rpg, which i learned by googling the terms trying to find info.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Show me your valor. No, your other valor.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Still unclear.

Don't worry. It will all be explained to you in game.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Earn your valor at the glory hole.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

BlindSite posted:

Earn your valor at the glory hole.

10/10 would get hyped

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

el B posted:

Don't worry. It will all be explained to you in game.

I found out you could stick shaders in your vault about two weeks ago.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

texaholic posted:

loving WHAT?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

I figured that out on day one what the gently caress is wrong with y’all

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

texaholic posted:

I hope someone at that Bungie event told the devs where they can stick shaders

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Conversely, are cosmetics a cool enough reward?

Yes, don't gate gameplay balance behind performance. Dota, Overwatch, etc all understand this, and players are beginning to understand the benefit.

Even if it doesn't mean much, people now feel weird when equipment balance passes involve stuff that only a few players can get. Give the best PVP guys in the world a shader so their armor appears made of goddamn chromey-diamonds mined out of the vault of glass. But don't give them access to stats (and really gear is a collection of stats in this game) as an exclusive.

What really good players really want is a way to make people see them and crap their pants in battle, or awe the people hanging in town. They don't undertake the challenge just to make combat more trivial than it is for them already.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 25, 2018

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

IronSaber posted:

Also who are you kidding, Bungie. You'd bend over and spread your cheeks if Reddit bitched hard enough.

correct, but right now reddit's bitching the most about performance not being recognized and no rewards to aspire to gain, because that's what the "community leaders" are telling them to be mad about

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Angry Walrus posted:

correct, but right now reddit's bitching the most about performance not being recognized and no rewards to aspire to gain, because that's what the "community leaders" are telling them to be mad about

Hey, I mean, it's not like these community leaders have any incentive to have loot gated behind difficult activities, right? btw, be sure to subscribe to my twitch channel and donate to be moved to the front of the line for carries and recoveries.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

VJeff posted:

btw, be sure to subscribe to my twitch channel and donate to be moved to the front of the line for failed carries and me loving around on your PSN account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
dota and overwatch both aren't loot games so how the gently caress would they even give you better loot for being good at them

i swear to God the first six months of this game it was all 'everything is too easy to get and i don't care about getting any of it' but the second there's a vaguely interesting toy people immediately rotate on their fencepost about tryhards who are going to farm their 420 elo lobbies with their Lord Shaxx's Codpieces and it's just unfair!