Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Those look cool as poo poo but goddamn at about $55 per album. This hobby is just getting too expensive for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Japanese stuff is always expensive fwiw. 10 years ago, importing a new CD was close to $40.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

Japanese stuff is always expensive fwiw. 10 years ago, importing a new CD was close to $40.

IIRC this is part of why Minidisc caught on there as well as it did. MD was rewritable before CD-R was much of a thing, and had better quality than Cassettes, so people would rent CDs for a fraction of the cost and then just make a Minidisc copy before returning it.

Curious where the whole premium on physical media there even comes from in the first place, though

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Amputechture arrived and it sounds fantastic. Clouds Hills is doing a great job.

It’s such a tough choice between this and Deloused for my favorite TMV album.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Received Bobby Lee's Shakedown in Slabtown today. Got here surprisingly quick considering it shipped from Germany. It's got a good instrumental mood to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISdzGZUMTk

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CaptainBeefart posted:

Received Bobby Lee's Shakedown in Slabtown today. Got here surprisingly quick considering it shipped from Germany.

I ordered these from France on Thursday and they already arrived yesterday!

:rock:

Every album sleeve (cover? Whatever those are called) I own has a sorta matte texture to it, but these are really shiny and slick. Is this a European/UK vs North America thing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

Every album sleeve (cover? Whatever those are called) I own has a sorta matte texture to it, but these are really shiny and slick. Is this a European/UK vs North America thing?

Yeah pretty much. A lot of European sleeves are thinner and glossier in my experience. There’s a plastic film on the cardboard.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Real Thing was the first album I ever bought on my own on cassette aaaaaaaaaalllll the way back when I was 8., but Angel Dust is where it's at. :rock:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

The Real Thing was the first album I ever bought on my own on cassette aaaaaaaaaalllll the way back when I was 8., but Angel Dust is where it's at. :rock:

I remember having this in middle school. I usually could only afford singles at the time. Haha. I think they cost $1.50 or so. Edge of the World was the b side which I don't think was included on the Epic album until later. I was pretty stoked to find the expanded double album version of Epic a couple years ago.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The Spice Girls debut album is getting a special edition 25th Anniversary edition vinyl release next month. Link here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/fugazishirt/status/1432724932782346244
Not as big of a fan of the Nautilus series, but 7/11 24/7 is a great album.

For the synthwave fans (shipping ASAP, not a pre-order):
https://twitter.com/MyPetFlamingoUK/status/1433092836325482497

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/dj-shadow-endtroducing-vinyl-25th-anniversary-edition/

Endtroducing remaster from the original DAT tape done as a Half Speed Master at Abbey Road studio. It's an easy top 3 of all time for me record so I'll be interested in hearing the differences between this and an original pressing.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dorium posted:

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/dj-shadow-endtroducing-vinyl-25th-anniversary-edition/

Endtroducing remaster from the original DAT tape done as a Half Speed Master at Abbey Road studio. It's an easy top 3 of all time for me record so I'll be interested in hearing the differences between this and an original pressing.

drat, I just ordered the original.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Nihonniboku posted:

The Spice Girls debut album is getting a special edition 25th Anniversary edition vinyl release next month. Link here

Weird that "storeus.thespicegirls.com" doesn't seem to offer shipping to the US for the non-bundle LPs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I only know of DJ Shadow from his work with Run the Jewels and on the GTA V soundtrack. I had no idea he'd been around since the mid-90s.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

my latest orders from Jeff Rosenstock and Cold Cave are severely backordered but the Spice Girls vinyl is here, thank god

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Man gently caress target and their garbage shipping. A single LP in a huge 2 foot long box naked, not even packing bubbles? Sure why not.

I know I know. I didn't order it, but its infuriating and sad to see.

lament.cfg posted:

my latest orders from Jeff Rosenstock and Cold Cave are severely backordered but the Spice Girls vinyl is here, thank god

I had given up the ghost for my re-press of Wu Lyf (I ordered it months ago) and I just got packaging status right now!

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I only know of DJ Shadow from his work with Run the Jewels and on the GTA V soundtrack. I had no idea he'd been around since the mid-90s.

This post makes me feel so old.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

incoherent posted:

Man gently caress target and their garbage shipping. A single LP in a huge 2 foot long box naked, not even packing bubbles? Sure why not.

I know I know. I didn't order it, but its infuriating and sad to see.

Yeah, I've had $35+ new records from Target just kinda floating around in a LP-size box (thankfully it wasn't damaged), meanwhile a Discogs user packed my $10 (including shipping) LTD album so securely that you would have thought it contained government secrets.

I've never experienced a record being shipped in a normal, big-rear end box though, that's horrible!

SwimNurd posted:

The sad thing is, I'm almost 30, ha. I should totally have known that he's been around. :P

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

You should definitely purchase a copy of Endtroducing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Darthemed posted:

Weird that "storeus.thespicegirls.com" doesn't seem to offer shipping to the US for the non-bundle LPs.

That's odd. Try this other site, I was just able to add the zoetrope version as a non-bundle, which the official site didn't even offer individually, and it appears to be okay to ship for free to the US for me.

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/spice-girls

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dorium posted:

Huh, I'm digging this. I'll check out the re-press.

Windows96 is one of the most-loved vaporwave artists, and their albums usually sell out ASAP and then get scalped for insane prices.

New album can be pre-ordered here! These are going fast, though.

https://www.100percentelectronica.c...vinyl-pre-order

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Nihonniboku posted:

That's odd. Try this other site, I was just able to add the zoetrope version as a non-bundle, which the official site didn't even offer individually, and it appears to be okay to ship for free to the US for me.

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/spice-girls
That worked perfectly, thanks for the tip!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SwimNurd posted:

Same here, but it did come out in 1996 after all. I guess because it just felt so new and exciting at the time and it's so essential and stood the test of time that it feels like everyone should know it and love it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

Barry posted:

Same here, but it did come out in 1996 after all. I guess because it just felt so new and exciting at the time and it's so essential and stood the test of time that it feels like everyone should know it and love it.

This album and Dr. Octagon both helped steer me away from the jam band every song has to be over ten minutes phase I was going through.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

dorium posted:

:hai:

I have no interest in the other stuff I've heard from DJ Shadow but Endtroducing is a masterpiece.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

:hai:

I have no interest in the other stuff I've heard from DJ Shadow but Endtroducing is a masterpiece.
This is truth. Entrancing was a gateway drug to much better music for a lot of people.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The sad thing is, I'm almost 30, ha.
This post makes me feel old.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

This post makes me feel old.
Right? I was programming a college radio station when Entroducing came out. Our rap/electronica guys lost their minds over it, IIRC.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVn7o1q2g3Y

Nope. No ATMOS in this.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Year 20xx: The world runs on iterative presentations of Dark Side of the Moon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why hasn't The Wall made it to blu-ray?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

This album and Dr. Octagon both helped steer me away from the jam band every song has to be over ten minutes phase I was going through.

Haha utterly failed to rescue me from that

But I liked Endtroducing

I was the only jam band hippie type that knew anything about any of this, none of my friends even knew who beck hansen was.

ED: they could probably tell you every last detail about every fricking Allman Bros. or Grateful Dead show from the 20th C, but no, there wasn't much room in their world for anything new.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 3, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Today's Goodwill find.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

Haha utterly failed to rescue me from that

But I liked Endtroducing

I was the only jam band hippie type that knew anything about any of this, none of my friends even knew who beck hansen was.

ED: they could probably tell you every last detail about every fricking Allman Bros. or Grateful Dead show from the 20th C, but no, there wasn't much room in their world for anything new.

Yup. I was hanging with some of those dudes. It wasn't "real music" cause they weren't playing instruments maaan. But you you know what they say about the hippies when the drugs wear off...

Anyways. If you're a Nick Cave fan popmarket has the pre-order for that seven disc bsides/rarity set. If you sign up for their mailing list you can use the code thanks10 and it brings the set down to around $155. Dunno if any of you need that much Nick Cave in your life but this guy does.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

Yup. I was hanging with some of those dudes. It wasn't "real music" cause they weren't playing instruments maaan. But you you know what they say about the hippies when the drugs wear off...

Anyways. If you're a Nick Cave fan popmarket has the pre-order for that seven disc bsides/rarity set. If you sign up for their mailing list you can use the code thanks10 and it brings the set down to around $155. Dunno if any of you need that much Nick Cave in your life but this guy does.

That’s not a bad price. That might be one I stream though. I can’t imagine having enough time to sit in my music listenin’ room to give it all a real listen.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Very happy that this got a rerelease last week.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Buffis posted:

Very happy that this got a rerelease last week.

Probably sounds like garbage.:rimshot:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I do need that, but is 2.0 coming back around, too? 'Cause I extra need that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
For some reason my brain has always cataloged Hole and Garbage as the same band.

Garbage Hole.