Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

Scarodactyl posted:

Spotted today in South Carolina.

I have no idea.

Is that what a house lean is? Or is that just a lean to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's just top-down construction. Build the roof, then build the house underneath the roof.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Scarodactyl posted:

Spotted today in South Carolina.

I have no idea.

Started porch replacement project before the '08 depression

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

Started porch replacement project before the '08 depression

I feel like the holes in the wall and the entire side wall leaning away from the house indicate it to be a bit more then a porch replacement.
But I could be wrong. :abrathink:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Longer eaves = less water damage

This was a blessing on my first house since I didn't maintain the gutters properly but the massive overhang plus being a ranch style meant I didn't get a bunch of water on my foundation from rusted out gutters. (yes yes bad PO was me - I got better I promise)

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Icon Of Sin posted:

The sink, at about 7:30 :stonk:

To turn on the water, plug in the pump to what looks like a 12v power supply. Once you're done and need to turn off the water, you have to grab the plug (likely with a wet hand), and unplug it. From what I remember about 12v supplies, they tend to run higher amps...so good luck on the heart stoppage.

That's not how electricity works. Even if a power supply can push a lot of amps through a low-resistance load, with only 12V of potential, it could never push those same amps through your skin and across your heart. That's why lower-voltage systems don't need as many safeguards against people messing with them, and it's why you can hold on to 12V car battery terminals without any real danger even though a modest car battery can push hundreds of amps.

Of course, that's not the only concern with electrical safety. Wherever you've got lots of amps, you've got the potential for lots of heat. And that sure doesn't look like a place where I would want to be in a fire - say, one that started because a cheap pump was left plugged in, ran its supply dry, and then seized up and got hot.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

hahaha... load

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Japanese bathroom with three sinks

quote:

From what I understand, sink 3 is for cleaning hands if you make a mess on yourself but can't/don't want to get up yet. Older people sometimes make a mess when going, and Japan is very big on using the bidet.

So sink 3 is just to clean your hands. Sink 1 is if you need to clean your child or you use a colostomy bag, etc. It has the shower hose attached so you can reach what you need to. Sometimes used by older people but mostly that sink doesn't get used much.

Number 2 and 4 are normal toilet and sink.

Weird thing I always find about my frequent travels in Japan is that they tend to think of an action and then make a thing for it. You end up with situations of like 3 sinks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a long running British TV series called Grand Designs where they follow self-builds. It's not that unusual for coupes to split during the build; through some mix of the stress and the blokes becoming obsessed with 'their' project. The episode that just went out was this build:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-83905949.html

The wife and the kids left him mid-way through the build.

edit: a random article with some of the 'best' builds
https://www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/70126/the-best-houses-from-grand-designs

“Highly unique”, because that is a word that can be qualified.

Looks like it’s been hastily dressed by someone with bad taste.

Can’t quite understand why someone would spend tons of money on a self-build and end up with standard low ceilings in the main space, and ceilings sloping down to below head height in the bedrooms.

Assume they ran out of money on the bathrooms as that’s just B&Q stock everything.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PurpleXVI posted:

Generally I'd suggest buying nothing plumbing-related from IKEA, they have a terrible habit of a bunch of poo poo that's specific to them and interacts with no local standards, so if something breaks or needs replacing, good luck.

Theory status:confirmed. The flex hoses on the tap had some weird sized connector on them that was then badly fitted to the copper pipe with what may be an incorrectly sized compression fitting. Plumber's advice was "replace that tap at some point" but tbh once it's refitted I'm not touching the drat thing. Looking at the way it was fitted, this was not done very well at all. The unit the sink is in isn't level so they've just stuck a piece of card under one leg of it as they evidently hosed up and put it too high for the adjustable feet.

Now everything smells of wet plaster and I have to play a game of "is the lighting circuit wet or not" :ohdear:

Platystemon posted:

Japanese bathroom with three sinks

Check out this guy that doesn't know how to use the three seashells sinks.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a long running British TV series called Grand Designs where they follow self-builds. It's not that unusual for coupes to split during the build; through some mix of the stress and the blokes becoming obsessed with 'their' project. The episode that just went out was this build:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-83905949.html

The wife and the kids left him mid-way through the build.

edit: a random article with some of the 'best' builds
https://www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/70126/the-best-houses-from-grand-designs

fyi at least some series of Grand Designs are available on US netflix, along with the Australian version. good show!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

brugroffil posted:

fyi at least some series of Grand Designs are available on US netflix, along with the Australian version. good show!

Whenever anyone talks to me about my house reno they bring up Grand Designs, and I have to just smile and nod like they're talking about Arsenal because I've never seen the show.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Whenever anyone talks to me about my house reno they bring up Grand Designs, and I have to just smile and nod like they're talking about Arsenal because I've never seen the show.

You really, really should have.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 2, 2020

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Other common themes are ‘they ordered the windows too late’, ‘they’re way way way over budget’ and ‘the lady is pregnant at least once during the project’. Oh and when they show off the finished house they never seem to have a TV on show for some reason.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Shut up Meg posted:

Bingo cards are supposed to be 5x5.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Youth Decay posted:

Some counties in Arizona don't require building permits. Here is why that is a bad idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0v-h6ncRA
I feel like you have to try to build something this poorly.

I feel like the electrical "hub" being right beside the bed is so that you can shut everything down in the middle of the night in the event of an electrical fire. That that is of course, assuming that you are still alive and can hear the smoke detector in your neighbour's place go off when the acrid smoke from your burning "house" penetrates its walls, brcause we know goddam well that place has no smoke detector.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

what is a sheep shed

why is "mud room" not on there

this is a weak rear end bingo card

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I've bought two bathroom sinks and faucets from Ikea, and all the pipes and hoses were standard sized and worked fine with what was in our house and what I bought from Menards.

Maybe it's different for other countries, or maybe it's a more recent change. The directions that came with my most recent faucet (purchased in November) said the inlet lines were, like, 9/16" but they were regular-rear end 1/2". Idk.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1212825958362865664?s=19

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elder Postsman posted:

I've bought two bathroom sinks and faucets from Ikea, and all the pipes and hoses were standard sized and worked fine with what was in our house and what I bought from Menards.

Maybe it's different for other countries, or maybe it's a more recent change. The directions that came with my most recent faucet (purchased in November) said the inlet lines were, like, 9/16" but they were regular-rear end 1/2". Idk.

Their faucets usually aren't a big issue(though the loving 1/2" fittings can be a bitch to get through the hole in the sink/tabletop if they're pre-attached to the hoses/hoses are pre-attached to the faucet and they're not removable), the main curse tends to be their kitchen sinks that usually have extremely non-standard drain solutions which means that if one thing goes fucky the whole thing needs replacing because for ?????? reasons it runs in 45mm pipe when there's only 40mm or 50mm as common spare parts, so you can't replace any of it.

I've just had enough nightmares with customers whose IKEA plumbing poo poo was unfixable because it was some IKEA-specific trash that I'd never touch or recommend any of their plumbing stuff.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

It’s hilarious how many of these shows just rapid fire lovely renovations and literally record themselves breaking various laws in the process.

My favorite is the Fixer Upper folks demoing everything in sight and having the EPA come after them after watching the show for lead paint violations. Makes me wonder how many times they blew through poo poo without thinking about asbestos.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Me watching every show on HGTV: "where is their PPE?" '"Why are they using a sledgehammer on the wall?" "Theres got to be some asbestos in that, why are they just scraping it?" "That's not how you do that." "Gaaaaaahhhh!!"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shut up Meg posted:

Where's "grade 2 listed", "planning permission denied/revoked" and "obligatory £20k archeological dig"?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Where's "grade 2 listed", "planning permission denied/revoked" and "obligatory £20k archeological dig"?

It's not the perfect one I agree.

For example, it's also missing 'wife gets pregnant after meeting Kevin' and 'couple tries to live a normal family life on an unheated building site for 2 years'

Though they happen so often, it's pretty much a given, along with Kevin using the phrase 'it works for them' instead of 'what the gently caress were they thinking of?'

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is a bit like when I watched The Money Pit and felt like I was being spoken to directly for the first time.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is a bit like when I watched The Money Pit and felt like I was being spoken to directly for the first time.

Did you run short of money mid-build?

Did you fall out with your prime contractor or run out of money to afford them and so decide to project manage it yourself?

Did you insist that, despite having no money left, the kitchen had to be made out of imported Mongolian marble and taps had to be designer ones that cost £1,000 each?

Did you choose a heating system that requires German engineers to install, and/or uses a complex mess of piping hidden in a cupboard/embedded in concrete?

Did you, at any point use the word 'eco'?

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Some counties in Arizona don't require building permits. Here is why that is a bad idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0v-h6ncRA
I feel like you have to try to build something this poorly.

"This artwork here is load bearing" - I bet he has stairs in his house.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That's a Simpsons joke

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Did you run short of money mid-build?

Yes

Shut up Meg posted:

Did you fall out with your prime contractor or run out of money to afford them and so decide to project manage it yourself?

Yes

Shut up Meg posted:

Did you insist that, despite having no money left, the kitchen had to be made out of imported Mongolian marble and taps had to be designer ones that cost £1,000 each?

No

Shut up Meg posted:

Did you choose a heating system that requires German engineers to install, and/or uses a complex mess of piping hidden in a cupboard/embedded in concrete?

Yes

Shut up Meg posted:

Did you, at any point use the word 'eco'?

No

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Ah.

Well, I am sure you've made something that works for you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It'll be nicer once I've installed some doors.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

lol "again"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

It’s hilarious how many of these shows just rapid fire lovely renovations and literally record themselves breaking various laws in the process.

My favorite is the Fixer Upper folks demoing everything in sight and having the EPA come after them after watching the show for lead paint violations. Makes me wonder how many times they blew through poo poo without thinking about asbestos.

This seems good, at least

After the company was first contacted by the EPA in 2015, the federal agency said that Magnolia took immediate steps to obtain EPA certification and bring its activities into compliance with Toxic Substances Control Act.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Yeah. According to the article, they can't even do any new work, their permits were just to fix prior code violations

E: and the hosts are banned from applying for new permits

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah they keep getting shut down for violations and the neighbors loving hate them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Dr Phil is selling his house for a lazy 5 million.

EDIT: It apparently belongs to his son.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 3, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I kinda like the frost king's pool table.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm digging on the blue whatever-it-is smoking a butt alongside the dining room armory table

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Dr Phil is selling his house for a lazy 5 million.

What does this say about a man's psyche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Dr. Phil has a decent stock of weapons too. drat.