Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cleretic posted:

To the best of our knowledge, they are literally all dead. The Crania Lupi were where the conscripts were assigned, and all of them but Fordola are dead after Specula Imperatoris got blasted.

I'm not sure how plausible that actually is (because when I write it out, 'literally every Ala Mhigan conscript is dead' sounds pretty extreme), but certainly the Endwalker healer role quest would have brought up conscripts and never did.

We know that a lot of people got shipped off to other places after conscription, considering how the Gyr Abanians had a reputation for being difficult there's good odds that they were scattered across the entire breadth of the continent. And many of the people who WERE serving there may have wanted to go home instead of hanging around the place.

The only people nostalgic for the mighty crags of Gyr Abania are, shockingly, Gyr Abanians.

And then throw into this the wrinkle of The Final Days and there might be some problems getting home for a lot of people still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FuturePastNow posted:

We should train him to pilot the G-Warrior

Arenvald, are you a bad enough dude to click the mouse button in time with the prompts?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bloody Pom posted:

Do we have a concrete answer for how much time has passed in-game between 2.0 and now? Surely the twins must be coming up on their growth spurt soon if they were 16 at the start.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

BlazetheInferno posted:

He's a DPS gladiator, will not tank, as that's Arenvald's job.

yesss, peak "I queued red this time for a reason, aggro is someone else's problem" energy

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

To the best of our knowledge, they are literally all dead. The Crania Lupi were where the conscripts were assigned, and all of them but Fordola are dead after Specula Imperatoris got blasted.

I'm not sure how plausible that actually is (because when I write it out, 'literally every Ala Mhigan conscript is dead' sounds pretty extreme), but certainly the Endwalker healer role quest would have brought up conscripts and never did.

I don't think they were talking about "all conscripts physically in Ala Mhigo," but rather "Ala Mhigan conscripts who were shipped to gods-know-where on the Star and are still presumably trying to make their way home"

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
“When I liberated Ala Mhigo I kicked this nerds rear end and he had a floating chair. Did we put that somewhere?”

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

yesss, peak "I queued red this time for a reason, aggro is someone else's problem" energy

The downside is that you don't get to have him along if you're a DPS yourself; Lyse is the guaranteed DPS NPC, Raubahn only jumps in if you're a tank or healer.

EDIT: Okay, rather than double-post, I'm just going to edit this in here. Y'know how, on the previous page, I mentioned a couple of Raubahn's bigger-damage abilities? One of them is just a kick that sounds like it hits with the force of a cannonball.

The other one is far more rare, but is called "Flaming Tizona", and I wanted to show you all what it looks like when he uses it.

Behold.

To answer the question I know is coming if I don't explain, Lyse is dead because I wanted to make sure Raubahn took the LB2 - she kept grabbing it instead.

And THIS is why I wanted to make drat sure Raubahn got it:

He has a unique LB2.

And drat if it's not impressive.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 29, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Cleretic posted:

It was on Reddit, over here if it's of interest to you. (The OF are actually a bit more sympathetic to him, actually.) You can see a lot of approaches, and very few people actually saying they want to fight alongside him.

For what it's worth, I actually think his current wheelchair is better for what his actual life is, which is homeland Ala Mhigan advocacy. Ala Mhigo has no magitek industry, so an Ironworks supertech-chair actually doesn't make a lot of sense; he'd need to call in the Ironworks every single time he needs repairs, which is both going to be really difficult and isn't gonna be a good look. Far better is something that can be locally repaired, including having spare parts that Arenvald could replace himself.

I mean there is a more or less permanent ironworks presence at Ralgr's Reach, so that wouldn't be a horribly difficult thing, and the ever present warmachina remains probably give them a heap of spare parts.

I agree though that insisting on giving Arenvald increased mobility regardless of what he wants would be selfish and dumb.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It does feel kinda lovely having be "I'll still help in any way I can" and then just giving him the shittiest wheelchair known to man.

Seriously it was like 2 pieces of wood, I don't even think they gave him a cushion.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

DanielCross posted:

I don't think they were talking about "all conscripts physically in Ala Mhigo," but rather "Ala Mhigan conscripts who were shipped to gods-know-where on the Star and are still presumably trying to make their way home"

Yeah, that's what I was operating on. We liberated Gyr Abania, but none of the conscripts IN Gyr Abania were FROM there except for Fordola's (now dead) group. So all of those young people were left in a position where they were now refugees from their own homelands, which were Garlean occupied up until Zenos taking the throne, the civil war, and the beginning of the Final Days, in which the Legions effectively imploded.

It doesn't make for the easiest story to tell directly in an MMO, though, trying to resolve one of the largest forced migrations of people in history at the same time as trying to rehabilitate the society responsible for that forced migration. And there isn't even a good boss fight left over it, because we kind of stomped all the people truly responsible for it along the way trying to save the universe from existential despair, mostly because they were in the way.

I suspect we're going to see little drabbles in side stories about how things ARE gradually getting better over time, but it's not going to be the focus of the story unless we're forced to go into one of the regions where the Garleans were causing trouble for unrelated reasons. There is always the possibility we have to go to Dalmasca, or adjoining lands like Corvus, for reasons completely unrelated to the Empire.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I just soloed Bardam's Mettle with the duty support thing. Gosetsu tanking is cool but he's got no mitigations so healing him kind of sucks. Hien has some kind of super attack he uses that cuts off like a third of a mob's life which is a little insane.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

bobtheconqueror posted:

I just soloed Bardam's Mettle with the duty support thing. Gosetsu tanking is cool but he's got no mitigations so healing him kind of sucks. Hien has some kind of super attack he uses that cuts off like a third of a mob's life which is a little insane.

Gosetsu does actually have a few - he has the typical tank "Rampart", as well as one unique to him called "Honed Eye". He also has a very minor self-heal called Miracle Eyes, but it only does about 2000 HP, and only uses it very occasionally. He just doesn't really use his mitigations that often, but he does HAVE them, I've seen both.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You could do something like "look, magitech can be used for more than just war", "no longer are the garleans the sole masters of this new thing", give our boy a hoverchair, if you wanted. Writers can spin the response to that just about any way they want without it being outlandish. I don't think they need to but it would be fine if they did

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

You could do something like "look, magitech can be used for more than just war", "no longer are the garleans the sole masters of this new thing", give our boy a hoverchair, if you wanted. Writers can spin the response to that just about any way they want without it being outlandish. I don't think they need to but it would be fine if they did

It is baffling to me that with all the wars that happened, the garlond Ironworks is not in the market of building prosthetics. If you can build giant battle mechs, surely an arm or leg wouldnt be impossible. Heck, There's a prominent story npc who's currently missing an arm and giving him a replacement robot one could be passed off as a ff7 reference.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 29, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because he's black?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tengames posted:

It is baffling to me that with all the wars that happened, the garlond Ironworks is not in the market of building prosthetics. If you can build giant battle mechs, surely an arm or leg wouldnt be impossible. Heck, There's a prominent story npc who's currently missing an arm and giving him a replacement robot one could be passed off as a ff7 reference.

Coutnerpoint:
https://twitter.com/IncorrectFFQTS/status/1659571128262709248
https://twitter.com/TheJadePrince/status/1662249388851200000

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Raubahn might not want to replace his arm out of guilt, but you'd think at least 1 character would have 1 magic-science arm. It's all the rage right now.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Veev posted:

Raubahn might not want to replace his arm out of guilt, but you'd think at least 1 character would have 1 magic-science arm. It's all the rage right now.

Thancred should get the magitek equivalent of an ice machine making him cartridges kinda like Zenos's golf bag

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
let's kill two birds with one stone and give y'shtola a plotline about replacing her arm with magitech

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You mean her eyeballs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Badger of Basra posted:

You mean her eyeballs
Maybe this is why they keep stalling on the Cyberpunk 2077 expansion, it's going to feature Idris Elba and FFXIV.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

One thing I wonder about Endwalker, about Fourchenault. After his 'dad of the year award' worthy actions at the end of Shadowbringer, it is noted that it's kind of weird that he'd personally come all this way to deliver a 'No, screw you, let me specifically provoke my kids and suggest that we know more than we let on' when they could just have sent a letter 'per our last message, we're not getting involved' which probably would have had the Scions ignore Sharlayan.

Part of me feels that the idea was for Fourchenault to GET the twins in Sharlayan, so that if this WAS end times, and it was time to get on the ship, he could do it. Because he couldn't exactly TELL them, and any attempt to even vaguely suggest 'for your own safety' would have led to full 'heroism!' Because it's established that Fourchenault did at all times love the twins. So I could see the idea 'I get them here, and if poo poo goes pear shaped and it's clear the star is lost, I can convince them to get on the Ark in order to help the people there'

But why the whole 'voting to kick them out of Sharlayan' then?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Cid can make a mechanical arm" and "Cid can make a mechanical arm that can be adequately maintained by all of the people who would want to buy it, without leading them into incredible medical debt before you even get into needing to feed your arm ceruleum every morning" are two different things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

"Cid can make a mechanical arm" and "Cid can make a mechanical arm that can be adequately maintained by all of the people who would want to buy it, without leading them into incredible medical debt before you even get into needing to feed your arm ceruleum every morning" are two different things.

Yes this is true but also Raubahn is one of the wealthiest people in Eorzea

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
The Garlond Ironworks are notoriously anti-charity it's true.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Yes this is true but also Raubahn is one of the wealthiest people in Eorzea

He's also one of the leaders of Ala Mhigo, who might not want to be seen sporting a fancy prosthetic that nobody else around him can have.

Veev posted:

The Garlond Ironworks are notoriously anti-charity it's true.

You can't "charity" your way into advanced healthcare; there's infrastructure that has to be built. If you don't have a local office capable of performing maintenance in every settlement, then people will have to travel for regular check-ups, and before long the "free" arm has turned into a massive liability.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
With all the magic bullshit in this game I don't know how to respond to "oh you think a robot arm is cool? You didn't think about the fuel! Enjoy your Debt Trap!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Veev posted:

With all the magic bullshit in this game I don't know how to respond to "oh you think a robot arm is cool? You didn't think about the fuel! Enjoy your Debt Trap!"

There's honestly not that much magical bullshit in this setting that's available to everybody as opposed to "available if your name is Meteor Survivor and you love testing/developing weird prototypes."

What's the most complex non-military piece of magitek in the setting that civilians have common access to? Is it still the radio? That's way below the level of "mechanical arm".

(I guess at one point the Garleans had cars? That almost feels like it doesn't count because they blew up before we saw them and that's still a hundred years on the real-world tech tree before mechanical arms.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ah, yes, the enduring theme of FF14: "better things aren't possible"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I feel like Nero would be the one to make the easy-to-maintain prosthesis just to one-up cid and make him obsolete.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Seeing Lyse KO'd on the ground reminded me of this.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think civilians not driving the mass-produced giant warmechs and power armor suits to work is more reflective of need, rather than the ability to provide them being a century of development away.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Veev posted:

The Monetarists exist and would absolutely farm rent off magitek prosthetics, even if someone like Cid is pretty much benevolent the Ironworks aren't going to be able to supply poo poo to people at scale and cost. I could see the Garleans making it part of their economy after reconstruction though.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

The Monetarists exist and would absolutely farm rent off magitek prosthetics, even if someone like Cid is pretty much benevolent the Ironworks aren't going to be able to supply poo poo to people at scale and cost. I could see the Garleans making it part of their economy after reconstruction though.

I mean yes you could definitely write the grimdark cyberpunk version of magitech prosthesis, or you could simply not do that. Cid: "Hey guys, Nero and I went to Asyz Lla on our honeymoon and you'll never guess what we found. A treatise on magitech prosthesis!" Also yes using the tech like that to rehabilitate the Garlean image is kind of a no brainer. Also Raubahn could get a rad af arm to show to war vets that not only is magitech more than just "garlean evil" but also that there is no shame in wearing one. Like, none of this needs to be in the game but it's not hard to write positive takes.

I think it's also good to remember that the world is in some ways a smaller place than when we were killing ladybugs in La Nosca. Except militarily when dealing with the empire the various city states used to be dealing with their own poo poo and were largely treated as wholly divorced from each other. Through our actions and the story everyone (including isolationist Ishgard) has been brought together more fully, the East is not just Over There doing whatever they do, etc. This parallels the perspective of the player nicely and makes ARR plots like "The Monetarists are monopolizing <thing>!" a little weaker to take seriously.

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 29, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

I mean yes you could definitely write the grimdark cyberpunk version of magitech prosthesis, or you could simply not do that. Cid: "Hey guys, Nero and I went to Asyz Lla on our honeymoon and you'll never guess what we found. A treatise on magitech prosthesis!" Also yes using the tech like that to rehabilitate the Garlean image is kind of a no brainer. Also Raubahn could get a rad af arm to show to war vets that not only is magitech more than just "garlean evil" but also that there is no shame in wearing one. Like, none of this needs to be in the game but it's not hard to write positive takes.

I think it's also good to remember that the world is in some ways a smaller place than when we were killing ladybugs in La Nosca. Except militarily when dealing with the empire the various city states used to be dealing with their own poo poo and were largely treated as wholly divorced from each other. Through our actions and the story everyone (including isolationist Ishgard) has been brought together more fully, the East is not just Over There doing whatever they do, etc. This parallels the perspective of the player nicely and makes ARR plots like "The Monetarists are monopolizing <thing>!" a little weaker to take seriously.

I'd been mulling over my own response but this says everything I could think of but better. The Monetarists are awful and earlier in the story would absolutely try and capitalize on a breakthrough like this, but at this point they'd be more likely to buckle under the weight of the rest of the world bearing down on them.

Would be a good opportunity for Garlemald to rehabilitate their image too. Rather than starting up weapons production again once they recover, instead take a note from Cid's book and devote their magitek expertise to benefitting humanity as a whole. The trade agreement brokered between Garlemald and Radz-at-Han even gives them the perfect launchpad.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm just picturing Nero's arc from here becoming Etheirys's greatest humanitarian essentially by accident via trying to one-up Cid

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I'm just picturing Nero's arc from here becoming Etheirys's greatest humanitarian essentially by accident via trying to one-up Cid

Nero, after inventing mass-production ceruleum-powered automobiles:

"You can have any color, as long as it's red."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Remember the quest where Lolorito is trying to get a foothold in Ala Mhigo so he decides to hire the guy from the back alley in Ul'dah so he can claim to employ Ala Mhigans, and he forces Lolorito to unionize? Good quest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd been mulling over my own response but this says everything I could think of but better. The Monetarists are awful and earlier in the story would absolutely try and capitalize on a breakthrough like this, but at this point they'd be more likely to buckle under the weight of the rest of the world bearing down on them.

Would be a good opportunity for Garlemald to rehabilitate their image too. Rather than starting up weapons production again once they recover, instead take a note from Cid's book and devote their magitek expertise to benefitting humanity as a whole. The trade agreement brokered between Garlemald and Radz-at-Han even gives them the perfect launchpad.
The Monetarists would have to pivot to Ul'dah's final, greatest weapon yet in the great journey to fleece people of their coin:

Fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

Remember the quest where Lolorito is trying to get a foothold in Ala Mhigo so he decides to hire the guy from the back alley in Ul'dah so he can claim to employ Ala Mhigans, and he forces Lolorito to unionize? Good quest.

That dude's secretly one of the coolest guys in the game.