Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

DontMockMySmock posted:

Small Gods. There needs to be a Small Gods movie so hard.

Yeah cos BSkyB are going to pony up money for a TV show about the pubescent adventures of the Antichrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nilbop posted:

Yeah cos BSkyB are going to pony up money for a TV show about the pubescent adventures of the Antichrist.

...I think you may be confusing Small Gods with Good Omens.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Nilbop posted:

Well, somebody is.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've just been re-reading Carpe Jugulum. I've owned the book for just over a decade, I've read all the Nac Mac Feegle young adults books, and I've only just realised the significance of the wee free men being a band of tiny blue dudes with one woman.

In my defence all that crivens stuff was distracting :(

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Another thing I just got was in Unseen Academicals. It had to be pointed out to me, not being British, but Juliet's Bu-Bubble magazine is a joke mispronunciation of Beau Beau Beau, which is apparently some sort of French fashion magazine or term.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

...I think you may be confusing Small Gods with Good Omens.

... Efffff.

I desperately want both to be made. The only thing I'd rather see is this drat Watch series if it ever gets made.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
"Djelibeybi" took me about ten loving years to get. And the footnote where he says it translates as "Child of the Djel" was NO HELP AT ALL.

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011

jfjnpxmy posted:

"Djelibeybi" took me about ten loving years to get. And the footnote where he says it translates as "Child of the Djel" was NO HELP AT ALL.

You obviously didn't watch as many Tom Baker Dr Whos as Sir Terry.

Nowhere Girl
Aug 17, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

I think Vimes might die in Snuff, when Terry announced that as the new Watch book he also said "now remember Snuff has two meanings". First is that powder poo poo you snort and the second is too snuff it or die. Someone is going to die, probably an established character and we will cry.

I think Snuff has to do with a genocide of orc hatchlings/eggs.

According to the official cover synopsis for the book, Vimes comes across "many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder...They say that in the end all sins are forgiven. But not
quite all…".

What could be so horrible? I'm going to call it now: Vimes will be investigating a systematic genocide against the orcs in Far Uberwald.

In Unseen Academicals Archancellor Henry commented that 'The expedition found a nest of those drat things!', to which Vetinari rather archly replies 'Yes. Children, which they killed' (p. 228 USA hardcover). The "drat things" are never explicitly named, but I think it's safe to say that, based on the context of the story, they were orcs. Throughout UA it is implied as well as explicitly stated that
the orcs have long been mistreated and routinely killed when found. To wit, 'Well, weren't they all supposed to have died out hundreds of years ago.' 'Annihilated', said Nutt (p. 277).

I'd bet good money that [i]Snuff/[i] refers to the routine "snuffing out" of any orc that is found. I can almost see Vimes stumbling upon the remains of a massacre of orc babies and then thinking about Young Sam and just going ballistic.

And to stay inline with Pratchett's reference to double meanings, I'm also predicting Sybil will force Vimes to quit smoking, so he'll take to chewing tobacco (snuff) instead.

Nowhere Girl fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 2, 2011

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mister Roboto posted:

Another thing I just got was in Unseen Academicals. It had to be pointed out to me, not being British, but Juliet's Bu-Bubble magazine is a joke mispronunciation of Beau Beau Beau, which is apparently some sort of French fashion magazine or term.

Thank you. I knew it was such an odd name that it was going to be a reference, but I had no clue. That was bugging me a bit.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

More likely Beau-Beau-Belle to get the mispronunciation dead on for Bu-Bubble.

I think my favourite joke about the stupid magazine is that it's all-important question is "What's your favourite spoon?". It's a recurring feature in Private Eye too.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nowhere Girl posted:

I think Snuff has to do with a genocide of orc hatchlings/eggs.

According to the official cover synopsis for the book, Vimes comes across "many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder...They say that in the end all sins are forgiven. But not
quite all…".

Not quite.

Lord Rust's son is enslaving goblins and shipping them off to work his tobacco plantations.

Finished reading it about an hour ago, it's very good.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Not quite.

Lord Rust's son is enslaving goblins and shipping them off to work his tobacco plantations.

Finished reading it about an hour ago, it's very good.

Is that like a major spoiler or a small one? Cause if it's a major one you should probably say you've read the book before the spoiler rather than after. I've never really cared about a mystery in a Watch book but still. How did you get it? Waterstones selling it early or something?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

thebardyspoon posted:

Is that like a major spoiler or a small one?

Take a bloody guess, given the context of the speculation I was replying to. Saying that, it's not really much of a mystery and if you haven't worked out what's going on within the first fifty pages then you should really be riding the special bus to school.

As to where I got it from, I'm friends with the manager of my local Waterstones. Street-dates no longer mean anything to me :)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh ok so it's on a level of "hey maybe the golems are involved in the murder" in Feat of Clay then or "they're all women" in Monstrous Regiment. Still wish I hadn't read it but eh.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

thebardyspoon posted:

Oh ok so it's on a level of "hey maybe the golems are involved in the murder" in Feat of Clay then or "they're all women" in Monstrous Regiment. Still wish I hadn't read it but eh.

Not even to that extent really, the whole point is that everyone already has a pretty good idea of what's going on but nobody does anything about it due to rural village politics.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Flatscan posted:

As to where I got it from, I'm friends with the manager of my local Waterstones. Street-dates no longer mean anything to me :)

You posted this just to make me very jealous, didn't you? Lucky bugger.

I didn't even think they would have even shipped the books to individual stores yet; it's still a week 'til the release date.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I ordered a signed copy from the Paul Kidby website, apparently they send them out by hand in the order that they recieved the orders so I'll probably not get mine for a couple weeks.

I saw when I was in Waterstones that they're advertising that their Snuff is the Gold edition and that it has an exclusive short story in it. Is that any good Flatscan?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 6, 2011

Izz
May 1, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

I saw when I was in Waterstones that they're advertising that their Snuff is the Gold edition and that it has an exclusive short story in it. Is that any good Flatscan?

According to Waterstone's website the short story is 'A Collegiate Casting-out of Devilish Devices' which has "never been published before in a book", however it has been published in TES and is available on their website.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irisi posted:

You posted this just to make me very jealous, didn't you? Lucky bugger.

I didn't even think they would have even shipped the books to individual stores yet; it's still a week 'til the release date.

It depends on the publisher really, some stuff can arrive in store weeks before the publication date which can be quite annoying for big releases as you have to find somewhere to store the loving things.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is the kindle version released at the same time as the hard cover? I read I Shall Wear Midnight on my kindle last year but I can't remember if I had to wait before I got it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Flatscan, you say you think Snuff is very good. Can I ask you what you think of the prose/editing in particular, and what you thought of ISWM (and Unseen Academicals) in that regard, so that there's a basis for comparison?

(Sorry if it seems like I'm cross-examining you; I'm not trying to call your taste into question, more trying to figure out how excited I should be for a return to the previous quality of writing :ohdear: )

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

JerryLee posted:

Flatscan, you say you think Snuff is very good. Can I ask you what you think of the prose/editing in particular, and what you thought of ISWM (and Unseen Academicals) in that regard, so that there's a basis for comparison?

(Sorry if it seems like I'm cross-examining you; I'm not trying to call your taste into question, more trying to figure out how excited I should be for a return to the previous quality of writing :ohdear: )

It's not as sharp as it would have been a few years ago (for obvious reasons) but the characterisation is spot on, unlike the other two books you mentioned which could be a little bit variable in places with established characters.

Devil Dick Willy
Feb 16, 2009
I've read through all the books up to I Shall Wear Midnight (currently half way through) back to back so far, this leaves me 7 days to get the rest of it done before Snuff comes out.
It's going to suck not having anymore to read but it's been worth it, guess I better get cracking on the other books I ordered from Amazon 6 months ago now.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just got a copy of Where's My Cow for my one year old, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I did too for that matter, especially the noise that Vetinari makes. The illustrations were fantastic, and my wife thought Young Sam was adorable and hilarious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Flatscan posted:

It's not as sharp as it would have been a few years ago (for obvious reasons) but the characterisation is spot on, unlike the other two books you mentioned which could be a little bit variable in places with established characters.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

So why did no one tell me there was going to be a (really short) book signing tour? I keep thinking "This might be the last time I get to see him" when I worry about DC being so far away:

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
07:30 PM
TOWN HALL SEATTLE/Co-sponsored by University Books
Town Hall Seattle 1119 Eighth AVE Seattle, WA 98101

Thursday, October 13, 2011
06:00 PM
BARNES & NOBLE/Tribeca
97 Warren ST New York, NY 10007

Friday, October 14, 2011
07:00 PM
NATIONAL PRESS CLUB/Grand Ballroom
National Press Club 529 14th ST NW Washington, DC 20045

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Wow, was pleasantly surprised by my Kindle suddenly downloading Snuff this morning. What excellent timing!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Just finished Snuff, I think it holds up as well as any of the Watch books. Maybe not as great as Night Watch or Guards! Guards! but I think even people who were a little disappointed by the last couple books will enjoy it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Iacen posted:

Wow, was pleasantly surprised by my Kindle suddenly downloading Snuff this morning. What excellent timing!
Alright for some!:argh:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Buy Snuff on Kindle or buy a physical copy to keep my collection complete. Decisions, decisions...

Another advantage of the physical copy is the footnotes, which I really don't like on Kindle.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I haven't finished it yet (work and all) but i am enjoying snuff a lot so far. I avoid spoilers like the plague on these books but i do have a pretty good idea of what's going on already.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

There is a definite downturn to the prose, the overuse of exclamation points is regrettable. For a long stretch it seemed like every other sentence ended with one.

It was still a quality read overall, but I definitely liked ISWM better.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain
I'm about 80% through it now and I'm really enjoying it for the most part. I wouldn't say it's as strong as Thud! or Night Watch due to a noticable downturn in the narrative prose, but I think it's on par with Jingo or Fifth Elephant.

My only big complaints are (not too spoilery):

-The ridiculous amount of fart jokes. Pratchett has never really relied on toilet humor before but I feel like I can't make it more than twenty pages without someone passing wind or talking about it.

-The Summoning Dark. One of my favorite bits from Thud! was Vimes managing to seal an extradimensional vengeance entity into a thought-jail though sheer force of will, with the implication that his own internal watchman and beast had triumphed over it and it was no longer needed. I really dislike how it now considers Vimes a partner, it can provide him with information on anything that happens in the darkness, it gives him a built-in universal translator and night vision... It just feels weird and out of place to give those powers to a character whose entire personality is based around pulling through and bloody-minded grit alone. He no longer talks about honing his night vision on midnight patrols through the Shades or being careful not to look at lights, he just gets Summoning Darkvision and can walk through pitch black tunnels.

It feels like a really strange thing to bring over and the "can Vimes withstand the temptation to go apeshit" is a bit of a retread.

That said, still a good book. Way better than Unseen Academicals, which I did enjoy too.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Thursday, October 13, 2011
06:00 PM
BARNES & NOBLE/Tribeca
97 Warren ST New York, NY 10007

Any NYC goons going to this?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Been reading mine now and then between work breaks this morning and it's a good enjoyable read so far, haven't read any Watch books in ages so I think it's time to start rebuying them for my Kindle. :)

CJTheran
Mar 31, 2010

Wampus42 posted:

Any NYC goons going to this?

Thanks to me randomly poking my nose into this thread I am. I wasn't planning on picking this up until I had plowed through my massive backlog, but after seeing this I'm instead sitting in the store with a fresh copy on my knee.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

CJTheran posted:

Thanks to me randomly poking my nose into this thread I am. I wasn't planning on picking this up until I had plowed through my massive backlog, but after seeing this I'm instead sitting in the store with a fresh copy on my knee.

Adopted the same strategy. This is my third fresh copy thanks to UPS being horribly early and reliable.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
Just got back from seeing Sir Pratchett at the National Press Club in DC. It was basically an hour and a half of him and his assistant screwing around, singing Mr. Sandman, drinking homemade scumble that a woman dressed as Nanny Ogg had brought, telling crazy stories from book tours, and answering questions. It was absolutely excellent and amazing, if you ever get a chance to see him speak drop everything (like I did) and gooooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Just finished the book, and I agree with everything Mandragora said. Also, Willikins appears to have been replaced by a completely different person with the same name.

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 15, 2011