Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Can someone clarify a pattern for me?

Bind off 5 stitches, *work until there are 66 stitches from bind off*, bind off 10 stitches; repeat between *'s once, bind off remaining 5 stitches. Place on holder and set aside.

Actually just as I'm writing this I think I realized. When they say "66 from bind off", they mean KNIT 66, not go until there are 66 left in the round I think.

Still working on this. Hit a slump where I just didn't feel like knitting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, it definitely sounds like BO five, work sixty six, BO ten, work sixty six, BO five. Is it like the front of the sweater you're working on? That would make sense if the first and last five were half the armhole stitches and the ten in the middle is the beginning of the BO stitches for the neckhole or something.

Lovely pattern! It looks so cushy.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Yeah, it definitely sounds like BO five, work sixty six, BO ten, work sixty six, BO five. Is it like the front of the sweater you're working on? That would make sense if the first and last five were half the armhole stitches and the ten in the middle is the beginning of the BO stitches for the neckhole or something.

Lovely pattern! It looks so cushy.

The first and last five actually meet up, so I suppose these bind offs are for the arm holes. The finished sweater looks pretty low cut.

In other news, would someone want to buy the Boye interchangeable circ set from me? Like $30 shipped? I'm kind of annoyed the smallest cable it comes with is 20", and I don't want to bother ordering an extra cable. Barely used, I think I got it because I had a Michael's coupon.

EDIT: And does someone besides Boye make soles? I've been wanting to make slippers, but haven't because I realize they'd really just be socks without some kind of bottom.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 14, 2010

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fooley posted:

EDIT: And does someone besides Boye make soles? I've been wanting to make slippers, but haven't because I realize they'd really just be socks without some kind of bottom.

Joanns and Michaels both have leatherworking sections which sometimes have soles. I just go there and buy the packages of leather scraps and use those to make soles - I prefer a heel pad and a toe pad instead of an entire foot-shaped piece anyway because they're less hot and more flexible that way. I just cut them to whatever shape I need, stab holes around the outsides and sew them on.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
One thing that interests me that I've seen done is a latex brushed over the bottom of a felted slipper for traction instead of leather. It sounded good to me, anyway!

I've also seen puff paint used for grips but that is not quite as entertaining as a liquid latex sole.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I've also seen puff paint used for grips but that is not quite as entertaining as a liquid latex sole.

I don't know if I would be able to use puff paint without having a waking nightmare about the 90's.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I don't know if I would be able to use puff paint without having a waking nightmare about the 90's.

http://www.grippiesonline.com/home.html

I actually just found these from :

http://www.christynelson.net/2010/01/french-press-felted-slippers/

That link. They seem pretty awesome. Honestly just look up French Press Slippers and there should be a billion different ways to add grip to the bottom because they're so popular (I also bought this pattern).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I've also used tool dip purchased at Home Depot. It's that sort of rubbery latex coating you see on the handles of hammers and pliers & the like. You can get it in tubs or in a spray can. I tried the spray can once and it took like 3 million applications to get it thick enough, so I recommend just getting a pot of it and a few cheap disposable foam paintbrushes and applying it that way. They sell something similar at craft stores that is intended to be applied to the back of latch-hook rugs and stuff to make them non-slip; I think it's probably exactly the same thing as tool dip but it costs more and you get less in the pot.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
So I got my first knitting-related injury this weekend.

I passed by a garage sale about a half block from my house, and sitting in the driveway was a giant tub of yarn, filled to overflowing. I eagerly snatched up the whole thing, and being the Strong Independant I Can Do This Myself Dammit woman I am, I just pick the sucker up and start lugging it home. It wasn't actually that heavy, mind, maybe 10-15 pounds, but it was rather unwieldy. About halfway home I start to lose my grip, and instead of doing the smart thing, i.e., put the damned thing down, I try to readjust.

...yeah, that didn't go so well. Cue me slow-motion falling flat on my face. The good news was that the yarn broke my fall. The bad news, well, remember the giant tub I mentioned? It didn't survive, and exploded rather spectacularly when I fell on top of it. Wound up with a banged-up knee thanks to the fall and a cut-up arm thanks to container shrapnel. Got everything home eventually, and it was quite the haul:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

But yanno, if I was gonna take shrapnel for yarn, why couldn't it be cashmere instead of Red Heart? :sigh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Izzy posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

But yanno, if I was gonna take shrapnel for yarn, why couldn't it be cashmere instead of Red Heart? :sigh:

It's always red heart. :sigh:

I ran across a GIANT lot of yarn cheap at the flea market the other day and it was all crappy Grandma Yarn. Grandmas never collect good yarn.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

I ran across a GIANT lot of yarn cheap at the flea market the other day and it was all crappy Grandma Yarn. Grandmas never collect good yarn.

When you're on a basic state pension of £95 a week, come tell us how much Noro you bring home :colbert:

Wait, who am I kidding? There won't be anything left in the pension pot when we get there :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

When you're on a basic state pension of £95 a week, come tell us how much Noro you bring home :colbert:

Once I got a giant lot of grandma yarn comically cheap and Dad walked in on me sorting it all. He picked up one of the balls and looked at the label.

"So-and-so Store? Knitter, that hasn't been around since the late 60's!"

So it's not that they're poor, it's that they bought all of their yarn and have been using it over the past few...decades...

Oh God! I'm going to be stuck with this yarn stash till I'm in the old folks home! :aaaaa:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
When I'm old I'm just gonna steal nice yarn. I learned from Seinfeld that old people steal all the time.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Consider your stash your life insurance. One day, far in the future, knitters will pick over our stash at garage sales, and complain about grandma yarn.

(God I hope not, we have some WONDERFUL yarn available now....)

Speaking of, I'm super excited! I'm actually starting all the Christmas knits now--and even managed to be able to buy all the wool I need for a cardigan for my mom. :3: I'm already swatching for the Coventry (from Twist Collective) cardigan I'm making her.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FelicityGS posted:

Speaking of, I'm super excited! I'm actually starting all the Christmas knits now--and even managed to be able to buy all the wool I need for a cardigan for my mom. :3: I'm already swatching for the Coventry (from Twist Collective) cardigan I'm making her.

I'm working on some charity scarves until Oct 1st, and then I'll see what our family is doing for Christmas.

Due to everyone being dead broke the extended family might not be giving gifts this year. Kind of :smith: but that means instead of busting out 20+ small items I can focus on four nice ones for my immediate family.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

It took me ages, but I finally finished the project I've been working on that I was insane to take up in the first place. It's a steeked, stranded, sweater knit in sock-weight yarn with size 2.5 and 3 needles:

(click for larger pictures)

I can now die a happy man. One thing though--I really should block this, but I'm worried that doing so may render it unwearable. It's really tight around the right forearm and I'm afraid the process of blocking it might make it even tighter. I'm a little leery about the possibility of pissing away months of work like this--any suggestions/advice?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

It took me ages, but I finally finished the project I've been working on that I was insane to take up in the first place. It's a steeked, stranded, sweater knit in sock-weight yarn with size 2.5 and 3 needles:

I can now die a happy man. One thing though--I really should block this, but I'm worried that doing so may render it unwearable. It's really tight around the right forearm and I'm afraid the process of blocking it might make it even tighter. I'm a little leery about the possibility of pissing away months of work like this--any suggestions/advice?

I don't think I've ever seen blocking make something tighter unless you managed to felt it in the process.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Genpei Turtle posted:

Holy poo poo

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I don't think I've ever seen blocking make something tighter unless you managed to felt it in the process.

Yeah, blocking tends to make things grow a little bit for me.

That said, goddamn man. Goddamn.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Genpei Turtle posted:

As WK said: Holy poo poo.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That is loving brilliant.

As said, blocking will typically grow an item--unless you accidentally felt it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Genpei Turtle posted:

Your insanity jumper is making my brain itchy just thinking about it's construction; I don't think I could knit anything human sized on anything smaller than 4mm. That said, beautiful job.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Goddam, son.

That is beautiful work.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Thanks everyone, I didn't think it was that good. :blush: The cuffs aren't even close to being even for example.

It's good to know that blocking it won't shrink it though. I haven't ever blocked anything that wasn't flat knitting before so I was a little ancy about it. Especially since the yarn in question felts really easily.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I made another pair of those Dashing fingerless gloves, but I used some really cool yarn called "Bamboo Ewe", its a Bamboo/Wool blend yarn in a lovely shade of green.

My question is they are a little tight around the cabled area, and I kinda wanna block them to make them fit a little better. I've never blocked anything before though, and wondered if anyone had a tutorial on how to block, I'm really worried I'll gently caress it up and hose the gauntlets, and I would be mighty annoyed if that happened.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Genpei Turtle posted:

Holy mother of god.

You are a knitting god.

Sock weight? Fair-isle? SWEATER?

I'm not worthy.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

Thanks everyone, I didn't think it was that good. :blush: The cuffs aren't even close to being even for example.

It's good to know that blocking it won't shrink it though. I haven't ever blocked anything that wasn't flat knitting before so I was a little ancy about it. Especially since the yarn in question felts really easily.

It's gorgeous. Seriously. I'm all :byodame:, but like....in a good way.

Blocking generally does make things larger, yeah. You do have to be careful when blocking not to either agitate it too much, or shock it with extreme temperature changes - that WILL felt it - and also don't let it stretch out too much. When it's wet wool can stretch a lot so like, if it's soaking in the sink and you pull it out by one edge the weight of the piece could stretch it more than you might like.

Seriously amazing. What pattern and yarn is that? I feel like I've seen it before. Some day I'm gonna do the Venezia pullover, but I feel like maybe I need to quit my job or something first.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Dammit, I tried to show my husband but the links won't work anymore, so he was not sufficiently impressed (cause he's half blind). Give me the clicky-make-bigger pictures of your sweater again, Genpei Turtle!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Can you even wear it? I mean, I'd be petrified of having anything happen to it. I'd want to seal it up in a glass case.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
That sweater is :psyduck:, but awesome! I'm dying from hand cramps after 3 rows of basic knit/purl baby blanket, I am not worthy. How long did it take you do you think?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Seriously amazing. What pattern and yarn is that? I feel like I've seen it before. Some day I'm gonna do the Venezia pullover, but I feel like maybe I need to quit my job or something first.

The sweater is a modification of this pattern--they gave me additional instructions to modify it as a men's sweater, since the one they have pictured is for women. Though I have to wonder what kind of behemoth women the larger patterns were made for--I made the medium size which fits me perfectly, and I'm more than 6 feet tall.

The yarn comes with the pattern, it's 2-ply Alice Starmore Hebridean, and it's the most incredible yarn I've had the pleasure to work with. It's expensive but worth every penny. It feels so nice and soft and not scratchy at all, and it's a dream to work with. The only issue I had was with the lightest tan color--it had a decidedly different feel than all the rest. I had to knit it tighter than any of the other colors or else it got all poofy and looked weird. Plus the individual plys tended to come apart more often than the other colors.

Fionnoula posted:

Give me the clicky-make-bigger pictures of your sweater again, Genpei Turtle!

It's probably just Waffleimages. Here are some links to mirrors of the picture:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/38/38a8cbe7b19e6495dbef3bb67954d242454ad6ed.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/b3/b349652eac7c4a38eafef6b9058d57ec0fec4841.jpg

zamiel posted:

How long did it take you do you think?

Do you mean in days or hours? In terms of days, I started it in mid-March, but I kind of burned out when the weather got warmer and went for days or even weeks without working on it. In terms of hours, I don't even want to think about it. When I first started out it took me an hour to do a single round. The main pattern, which is 64 rounds, repeats 3 and a bit times from hem to shoulder, so that's about 200 hours right there and that's not even counting the arms.

I'm definitely going to get another kit from the same place some time though. I can't recommend them enough, they were really helpful with advice on the project several times. At one point I thought I was going to run out of one color but lost all the old tags and so didn't have the dye lot. Though they guaranteed I wouldn't run out (they were right) they remembered who I was and had the dye lot I had bought on file!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Another FO spew post. Somehow I feel like I'm knitting less these days but I think I just have fewer projects. I have noticed a drop in production rate now that I'm commuting by bike and only taking one class. I need my bus/class knit time!

Hap Blanket for my boyfriend's pimpin' LaZBoy loveseat (not pictured). I was too lazy to wash it by hand so I threw it in the wash (superwash wool) and boooooy did it grow.

My friend is starting an awesome job which will take her around South America, so I made her a chullo as a parting gift. South American style hat with South American yarns (Mirasol Miski and Q'ina, plus some Misti Alpaca I had lying around).

I decided to make a cowl with the Mulberry Merino yarn I've been obsessing over. It's a little bigger than I wanted it to be, but it's really soft and I love those colors. Matching hat to follow once I get the time.

And a bonus WIP (and the reason I think I'm getting carpal tunnel):

Stephanie Van Der Linden's Esther pattern is beautiful but the translation from German (I think) took a couple reads to understand it. The photo doesn't accurately display the yarn's color (it's more reddish purple) but it is SweetGeorgia CashLuxe Fine in Violet Hill and it is the love of my life.

My latest idea for a future project is to knit a cowichan style cardigan and use the fornicating deers chart on the back.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Man I have been neglecting my yarn goods for a while, and I browsed through here and it has me amped up! I'm not great so I only do basic stuff but hey its better then nothing going to go pick up one of the many started creations that has been waiting on me sense last year. So I thank you Goon knitters.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

I made another pair of those Dashing fingerless gloves, but I used some really cool yarn called "Bamboo Ewe", its a Bamboo/Wool blend yarn in a lovely shade of green.

My question is they are a little tight around the cabled area, and I kinda wanna block them to make them fit a little better. I've never blocked anything before though, and wondered if anyone had a tutorial on how to block, I'm really worried I'll gently caress it up and hose the gauntlets, and I would be mighty annoyed if that happened.

Here is a good article from Knitty that describes a few different ways to block. I pretty much wet-block everything, but if you're worried about the bamboo stretching then you can use the other methods.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

CureMinorWounds posted:

Aaaargh be careful of blocking bamboo! Block a swatch first, it grows like crazy, I have ruined bamboo FOs before because they grew so much and I couldn't shrink them down!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just had a "yarn accident".

It's not my fault! Look at this fuckkin' sweater: http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/newmoon/

My bank account hurts.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I've started a temp job in an office where my desk is right under the AC. I was thinking of knitting a pair of fingerless gloves to help keep me warm.

The problem? I have fat, stubby hands and it's hard to find a pattern. Does anyone know a good one for sad hands like mine? :smith:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

You could make one up based off a gauge swatch.

Or, if you wanted, I could give you one based off a swatch. Just would need rows/inch, stitches/inch, circumference of wrist, circumference where you want them to cut off, circumference just above your thumb, length from wrist to where to end, and length from wrist to top of thumb flap (what IS that piece of skin called?).

ETA: length from where to end on your arm, not on your hand.

felgs fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 21, 2010

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Sorry this is so last minute, but if you're free this weekend and you live in or near NYC, please consider volunteering at Maker Faire at the New York Hall of Science in Queens! The National NeedleArts Association is sponsoring a needlearts booth and needs people to teach knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint and cross stitch. You only need to know the very basics (basically just casting on and the knit stitch for knitting, and chains and single crochet for, uh, crochet) to be able to help! You'll also get free entrance for the day you volunteer, so make sure to check out all the other awesome stuff going on.

To sign up, please go here. (I hear the Saturday 10AM - 2PM time slot is the best, and no it's not just because that's when I'll be there. :v:) You can email tnnamaker@gmail.com if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I haven't been here in forever. Now that it's getting colder out I wanna take up knitting again. Unfortunately I lost my bookmarks.
Give me some knitting resources please!!