Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Dessert Rose posted:

I keep hearing this and I don't get it. How are people loving up the wiring this badly? Even when I steal the RCA off a CDJ for my rig I can smoothly transition out of and into people who play on CDJs.

Perhaps this is why I keep getting booked even when I don't bother doing any promotion these days.
I just attribute the problem to alcohol and DJs not knowing what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

I would literally switch the locations of everything, on that controller. It's a great concept, but holy poo poo I would never want that layout. I'd totally buy it, if the pads were at the bottom, touch screen(?) in the middle/above the pads, faders and knobs above the touch screen(?) etc.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

liquorlanche posted:

I would literally switch the locations of everything, on that controller. It's a great concept, but holy poo poo I would never want that layout. I'd totally buy it, if the pads were at the bottom, touch screen(?) in the middle/above the pads, faders and knobs above the touch screen(?) etc.

To me it looks mostly fine, but the giant empty space around the crossfader is weird, and I don't know how much I'll enjoy the way the loop controls will work. I'm used to the transport controls that jump me forward by phrase or by 4 phrase section, so it'll probably need some remapping.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dessert Rose posted:

To me it looks mostly fine, but the giant empty space around the crossfader is weird, and I don't know how much I'll enjoy the way the loop controls will work. I'm used to the transport controls that jump me forward by phrase or by 4 phrase section, so it'll probably need some remapping.

I could be totally wrong but it looks like there might be internal electronics around those input ports right around the crossfader. It does look a bit weird though

e: those might not even be input ports, i just realized it looks like the headphone input is off to the right. nevermind

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

All touch strips can burn in hell (Novation Twitch especially). Platters or GTFO.

I liked the Strip Search Touch Strips on the NS6 but as a replacement for a platter? I'll pass.

That said, I got a DDJ-SR a couple months ago, I wonder what all these new-fangled controllers will be like by the time I feel the need to replace it,

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

slogsdon posted:

I got a DDJ-SR a couple months ago

Yeah buddy! I got one too, and it's great for me. It's super fun to play on, and it feels more timeless than flashy, while still having just enough of the flashiness. I rarely use 3 or even 4 decks, but it's nice to experiment every now and then just to see what happens.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
The future of controllers: I want 16 pads per side with the ability to use them as a drum machine/sampler/cues. Like an MPC and DDJ-SX, combined. I'm not buying anything else until then. I have an MPC, MPK, APC and DDJ-SX. I'm loving done, for a while.

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 24, 2014

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

All this new poo poo keeps coming out and I'm just sitting over here like "yo can we keep pressing tunes to vinyl". Been spinning on vinyl for the last 7 months and every time I return to my controller it just feels unnatural, not exciting, to easy. It really just bores me, I should probably just turn all the handicap stuff off but still I just want all my favorite tunes to keep being pressed to vinyl.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah this forum definitely skews towards software users. Any time someone mentions actually playing records its seen as this elitist exclusivity thing which is really too bad. Collecting and playing records has been one of the great joys of my life over the past few years.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Doing mobile DJ work the idea of bringing crates of records around is a horrifying prospect. I keep adding gear and it will never stop. Software presents a really great break from lifting things.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

b0red posted:

Been spinning on vinyl for the last 7 months and every time I return to my controller it just feels unnatural, not exciting, to easy. It really just bores me

Dopo posted:

Any time someone mentions actually playing records its seen as this elitist exclusivity thing which is really too bad.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I really enjoy spinning records and I will do a sesh every few months just for fun, but the amount of time it takes to beatmatch and the fact that you can't loop and jump to cue points makes some of the more technical mixes impossible.

I wish the digital tech had never been invented but that cat is out of the bag unfortunately.

Anyway, DVS is better than controller mixing and manages to combine the best of both worlds.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Spinning records is not feasible for mobile DJing at all and yeah you can't do very technical mixes sometimes but I really think half the fun of it is beatmatching and when poo poo just clicks. I would never say it's better than digital, just different and that's why it's fun. Sometimes I get bored of vinyl and just do digital for awhile.

b0red fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 27, 2014

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I saw Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow do an all vinyl set as a tribute to Afrika Bambaataa using his record collection and was astonished by what they were able to accomplish with just turntables.

My dream would be to spin records but I just don't have the time and money for that right now, digital files and controllers will have to do for now.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

slogsdon posted:

I saw Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow do an all vinyl set as a tribute to Afrika Bambaataa using his record collection and was astonished by what they were able to accomplish with just turntables.

My dream would be to spin records but I just don't have the time and money for that right now, digital files and controllers will have to do for now.

Learning scratch techniques is what made those guys able to do that crazy poo poo. And yeah vinyl is expensive, the tables are not cheap if you want something decent or a used technics. Than anywhere from $1-20 per record can hit really hard on the pocket. It's cool though because crate digging is fun, getting new releases supports artists, and you have a physical format that is pretty drat reliable as long as you take decent care of it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

b0red posted:

Learning scratch techniques is what made those guys able to do that crazy poo poo. And yeah vinyl is expensive, the tables are not cheap if you want something decent or a used technics. Than anywhere from $1-20 per record can hit really hard on the pocket. It's cool though because crate digging is fun, getting new releases supports artists, and you have a physical format that is pretty drat reliable as long as you take decent care of it.

I've got a small vinyl collection already so at some point I want to get some turntables that are suitable for that sort of thing when I can afford them. We've actually got technics at the radio station I volunteer at, I might see if I can plug a mixer up and at least practice mixing and beat matching with them.

E: actually I guess I wouldn't even really need a mixer to practice beat matching.

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 27, 2014

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

slogsdon posted:

Renegades of Rhythm tour, caught them last night here in Denver.

I've seen Shadow several times before but drat, the two of them together :stare:

Synchronized juggling doubles :stare: :stare:

Good stuff

e: also it wasn't just a tribute, they were touring with selections from his actual record collection

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

vanilla slimfast posted:

Renegades of Rhythm tour, caught them last night here in Denver.

I've seen Shadow several times before but drat, the two of them together :stare:

Synchronized juggling doubles :stare: :stare:

Good stuff

e: also it wasn't just a tribute, they were touring with selections from his actual record collection

Well yeah, but they're still calling it a tribute show :v:

That show felt like a time warp.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have vinyl decks set up with my controller and they're great but the fact I can click a couple of buttons and have new music within seconds beats out going to shops or ordering stuff and waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive...

I'm obviously a convenience orientated dj type person.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I love my records too much to subject them to the tortures of DJing. Records should remain skip free and scratch free, especially the older stuff and single releases that I probably wouldn't be able to find ever again. I think some of the vinyl love in terms of spinning records is more of an appreciation of the format and the real-timey of the medium vs using a digital controller, but you can accomplish a lot more technical feats using software or CDJs. That being said, I like the vibe of a return-to-basics vinyl DJ set (just look at what Mr. Scruff does with his 4-5 hours gigs), and yeah, if you're competing in the DMC championships you can probably cut a mean record as well. Just a different way of making people want to get up and groove.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
If you have decent needles, know how to scratch and cue records properly, put things back in sleeves, etc. the records generally don't get damaged. Therefore, I don't understand.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

bad day posted:

If you have decent needles, know how to scratch and cue records properly, put things back in sleeves, etc. the records generally don't get damaged. Therefore, I don't understand.

Just playing a record damages it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Old Man Pants posted:

Just playing a record damages it.

Dehumanize yourself and face to impermanence.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

bad day posted:

You're literally dragging a rock over plastic. It's not physically possible for that to last forever, no matter how careful you are. You're probably not using the same definition of "damage."

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
If you own nice needles and have your turntables set up properly, the damage is negligible. lovely vinyl like Rawkus records and single-disc LPs might degrade quickly, but any well-pressed single, 7" 2xLP or 180 gram record is not going to sound different after hundreds of plays, even. If you don't clean your records, dust gets impacted in the grooves and the sound degrades, but you can get rid of that with fancy cleaners or plain old wood glue.

I always had more of a problem with warped vinyl than scratched or dirty/degraded records. Sometimes I'd leave a crate in my car after a gig and forget about it til the next day.. I lost some good ones that way.

But a good needle, properly aligned and weighted, is not going to gently caress up your records.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I am currently screening records that have been at this radio station for 40+ years and were in regular rotation and so far have had zero issues that can't be attributed to dust. Store and clean your records properly and you'll probably be dead or retired before you damage a record beyond a playable state.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Fresh

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
That whole Tumblr is a gold mine. http://brkwydln.tumblr.com/

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

keevo posted:

They need to release the Grimes set already.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

keevo posted:

This is amazing.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controllers/traktor-kontrol-s8/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNt9feV_XM

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAUwCmsE0Y

like the features, not so crazy about the massive size or the price. if they released an F1 or an X1 style controller with one of those screens, i'd :getin:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'll hold out for the S16.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
$1200? lol what?

I was considering looking at that closer to see if it would be worth me picking up, but hell no, now.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It needs jog wheels (active preferably) and needs to be self-contained with a SATA hdd bay plus a couple USB and SD card slots.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

revmoo posted:

It needs jog wheels

No.

mitztronic posted:

$1200? lol what?

I was considering looking at that closer to see if it would be worth me picking up, but hell no, now.

I thought it was going to be 1500, so 1200 is at least less than that.

I'm going to be replacing an S2+F1 with this. It looks amazing and thank god someone finally dumped the jogs. Such a waste of space.

I'm especially happy to maybe stop staring at my laptop so much.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone else picking up an Akai AMX? It's just what I need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nEjpHS7f4

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mario Incandenza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAUwCmsE0Y

like the features, not so crazy about the massive size or the price. if they released an F1 or an X1 style controller with one of those screens, i'd :getin:

What the hell is the point of this? For that price get a used mixer and an X1 or F1. These controllers don't sound that great and honestly if you're gonna be playing out that thing is going to be a massive pain in the rear end. Instead of hauling crates of vinyl, new generations of djs are going to be lugging around these massive controllers that do a lovely job at imitating stuff that is already given to us at venues. Same with those ridiculous DJM/CDJ looking Pioneer controllers.

I started with a VCI-100 and moved to an S4 then got a real mixer. Its a great learning tool and an all in one but at this price point I wonder who its being marketed to. Also I guarantee most of the people who buy this ESPECIALLY new djs aren't going to use half the features. At least I used the S4's jogs to learn how to beat match.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Firaga posted:

What the hell is the point of this?

I think anything without any sort of jogwheel is mostly appealing to the current generation of up and coming DJs that are incredibly influenced by the trends going on in EDM right now, and that's a HUGE market. I'd imagine those DJs aren't looking up to turntable DJs (even those like A-Trak who have had some success), or even people who are pretty advanced on CDJs like Laidback Luke or Carl Cox.

In targeting that market, they're also hitting some of the people that never really cared about jogwheels in the first place, because they have no need to "drop" in their records, scratch, or cue in that sense. That's one of the joys of having something like pitch bend.

That being said, a lot of these controllers are really overdesigned, and that new NI thing looks like they basically got around a table and said "how many lights can we add to this thing?" That being said, it's going to serve a surging market. It probably won't replace club gear (the Pioneer had the best shot at that) but I don't think it's aiming to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Firaga posted:

What the hell is the point of this?

Live remixing.

This thing is perfect for my workflow and solves a long, long list of problems I have with the way I want to play. It lets me get back to looking at the crowd. I've already preordered mine based on the DJTT first look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAUwCmsE0Y