Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Yes limited 25, 50, and 100 uscg for charter boat guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I think it starts at 60 here, then 150, 500, 3000, unlimited.

Like I have “chief mate unlimited, master <500 GRT near coastal, master sheltered waters”, if I recall correctly.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)
You can get a UK Master 200GT which is just commercial endorsement of yachting qualifications, above that you’ve got 500GT, 3000GT and unlimited qualifications which require an oral exam. I think there’s also specific yacht only qualifications (no cargo work) but I don’t know the details.

You don’t even need to be a UK national, the colleges here are full of Indians who come to get their tickets here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ferretsrule posted:

You can get a UK Master 200GT which is just commercial endorsement of yachting qualifications, above that you’ve got 500GT, 3000GT and unlimited qualifications which require an oral exam. I think there’s also specific yacht only qualifications (no cargo work) but I don’t know the details.

You don’t even need to be a UK national, the colleges here are full of Indians who come to get their tickets here.

A lot of foreign officers are Indians. I was talking to a Maersk IT guy that quit sailing and was trying to go back to school, he said marine officers weren't rare in India like in the US and it wouldn't help him to stand out for his statement of purpose.

Also saw an article one wrote about why Indians wouldn't be supplanted by cheaper SEA nationals and it read pretty much the same way any US industrial propaganda ever has, exceptionalism, better knowledge, training etc.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wilhelmsen is trying Indian chiefs and skippers again, laying off Norwegians etc. Last time they tried something like this (80s), they nearly went bankrupt. Will be fun watching that play out, they're already seeing more incidents aboard ship and failed USCG inspections :v:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MOL Prestige adrift after engine room fire, 2 people med-evaced by helicopter

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Pretty nice in the North Sea yesterday

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://twitter.com/TankerTrackers/status/964239508303642625

When sanction busting oil transfers happen...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Those guys were on the radio, apparently traking oil tankers is a thing among tech geeks now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s easier than tracking your D&D stats I guess?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://twitter.com/TankerTrackers/status/965155186355425282

Yup, looks like the geeks found a new hobby.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey what's you guys' strategy for compression testing med speed 4 stroke generator engines? I've seen guys swear by everything from just taking a pressure reading at idle with that unit's rack pulled all the way to no fuel, to rolling it on the starter, to insisting on the cadet barring the thing over.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I do the first. If there's no fuel moving through you should get a good reading. A cadet baring it over, seriously?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

I do the first. If there's no fuel moving through you should get a good reading. A cadet baring it over, seriously?

Yeah that's what I've always done also. I mean, if there's no fuel it doesn't matter how you're spinning it. I think the idea of barring it over comes from MUCH smaller engines. On my last ship we had one where we couldn't get any consistently bad compression test readings but were seeing a lot of blow-by, crankcase pressure, leaks etc. and I put together an automotive-style leakdown tester with a larger orifice and like three cylinders seemed way out of whack at TDC. It was almost due for an overhaul and from what little we could find it seemed like it had been a victim of a half-assed overhaul previously so those results were "good enough" to justify going ahead and ordering the overhaul stuff at least. The poor cadet had to bar that one over a time or two but that was with the cocks open so his arms survived.

I need to get a diesel truck.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So I asked Slavic Crime Yacht since, well, I only really frequent GiP these days on these dead gay forums and he pointed me here. Hope you guys are ready for some idiocy and stupid questions.

So basically I did 8 years in the army back in Norway before I moved to the US, married and became a paramedic and divorced. I've been working mostly in refugee settings across the world for the last 4 years (31 years ancient this summer) and, predictably this burned me the gently caress out on all things healthcare related as well as, y'know making me hate my life and every decision I ever made. I've decided to move back to Norway and go back to school seeing as with years of savings and super generous student support I'd be an idiot not to. I applied for... erh, maritime college so I can get a bachelors in boats and floaty things and long story short that's gonna be my life now...unless I change my mind and go back to patching people up and ferrying drunks as a paramedic which I guess is still an option. I grew up on boats, always had a fascination with shipping and the sea in general so I figured this'll be good.

I'm really excited about going to school, but what I want to know is, once I finish and do my cadet time (so much cadet time) what are the chances for me to work abroad? Specifically, since I have no ties whatsoever to Norway other than a passport and dead parents I was hoping to parlay this degree and the certifications I'd earn in the years after into for example working in yachting or working long distance shipping somewhere else. Preferably somewhere warmer.
So, anyone have any pearls of wisdom to throw me? I'm confident about getting through the schooling, even if it'll be hard as poo poo, and I realize being a cadet will be poo poo city, population: me, but what about after? What are some things I should work towards while I'm going to school and after? Any decent ways or One Weird trick to snatch summer gigs chipping paint and being shouted at anywhere?

I realize this is a massive change of pace for me, but I think it might be good. Literally any insights you guys have and care to share would be appreciated

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
"predictably this burned me the gently caress out on all things healthcare related as well as, y'know making me hate my life and every decision I ever made."

Sounds like you're a fit for sailing.

Plenty of options as a Norwegian and you are going to one of the worlds best maritime schools. Don't worry about what you are going to do when you get out yet. Who knows what the job situation will look like in four years. You may also want something different by then you think you want now.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

"predictably this burned me the gently caress out on all things healthcare related as well as, y'know making me hate my life and every decision I ever made."

Sounds like you're a fit for sailing.

Yeah if you've already burned out on another job you're years ahead of the curve in sailing. It actually is exponentially more effective than simply having failed for the same length of time.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

shovelbum posted:

Yeah if you've already burned out on another job you're years ahead of the curve in sailing. It actually is exponentially more effective than simply having failed for the same length of time.

In fairness my parents, God rest them, would define that as failing. That count? But yeah, as long as there's no children with blown off limbs in the floaty-school then I'll be fine.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh I meant having sailed, loving autocorrect

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

But yeah, as long as there's no children with blown off limbs in the floaty-school then I'll be fine.

Likely the worst you'll see is some degloved fingers and some chicken breast suturing practice, atleast at school.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Likely the worst you'll see is some degloved fingers and some chicken breast suturing practice, atleast at school.

The worst injury I saw during training was a cadet who got his arms and ribs broke trying to fight three cops' boots.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Were the boots ok?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Were the boots ok?

Yeah they were taken care of in the civil suit

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shovelbum posted:

The worst injury I saw during training was a cadet who got his arms and ribs broke trying to fight three cops' boots.

I suppose we had a guy get stabbed, another break a femur, one get hit with a parting line, and uhhh 9/11.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

I suppose we had a guy get stabbed, another break a femur, one get hit with a parting line, and uhhh 9/11.

How did the parting line injury work out? I've never seen one happen. Or, I suppose, the aftermath of one

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

How did the parting line injury work out? I've never seen one happen. Or, I suppose, the aftermath of one

Knocked the guy out of commission for a year. Several ruptured internal organs and that was pretty lucky from what I understand.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

Knocked the guy out of commission for a year. Several ruptured internal organs and that was pretty lucky from what I understand.

Yah, I remember in the service they intentionally had a steel tow line break between two belted vehicles. sliced a small tree in two when it whipped round. Glad your guy came out of it as well as can be expected.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nuclear War posted:

Oo I get to post this a third day in a row

https://youtu.be/LGH_GUbdTeQ

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I found this while trying to bone up on normal human engines.

3 pistons per cylinder is enough for any man.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

shovelbum posted:

I found this while trying to bone up on normal human engines.

3 pistons per cylinder is enough for any man.

Somebody looked at a Fairbanks-Morse or Deltic engine and thought, "I will take this as a challenge!"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Somebody looked at a Fairbanks-Morse or Deltic engine and thought, "I will take this as a challenge!"

Glad this one never happened

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyone know what HOS is up to in Alaska? I noticed they had Red Dawn listed as 0 bbls mud and mega bbls fuel, and AIS had it up there.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a general structural question about these gigantic oil and cargo carriers: is there a practical upper limit for large transport ships?

I’m talking about a ship that’s 4-8x larger than the Triple-E Maersk or huge OOCL freighters.

These are the things that came to mind:

1. Docks may be unable to load and unload from extremely massive ships (maybe they would need massive cranes installed on the ship that load and unload instead of having the cranes on docks?)
2. Channels into harbors may not be deep enough for safe navigation (Panama and Suez Canal out of the question)
3. Structural limits to how large a ship can possibly be
4. Crew and logistics (even if they were nuclear powered)
5. Impracticality of TEU containers (too small)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 11, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean strictly speaking they're probably close to the upper limit right now at least as far as dock space goes. Your main limiting factor is gonna be the depth of the water around the bigger ports, and to my knowledge the biggest are limited to a very few ports. As for an 'ultimate' upper limit? I really don't know.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

I have a general structural question about these gigantic oil and cargo carriers: is there a practical upper limit for large transport ships?

I’m talking about a ship that’s 4-8x larger than the Triple-E Maersk or huge OOCL freighters.

These are the things that came to mind:

1. Docks may be unable to load and unload from extremely massive ships (maybe they would need massive cranes installed on the ship that load and unload instead of having the cranes on docks?)
2. Channels into harbors may not be deep enough for safe navigation (Panama and Suez Canal out of the question)
3. Structural limits to how large a ship can possibly be
4. Crew and logistics (even if they were nuclear powered)
5. Impracticality of TEU containers (too small)

These are the factors currently taken into account when designing ships, yes, although another issue is with regards to the availability of efficient power plants of sufficient power for the ship.

That being said you also have to find enough cargo to reliably fill the ship, and the time you spend loading and unloading versus the time you spend at sea eventually becomes a concern from a commercial perspective.

Structurally, you can get very big before issues crop up.

In conclusion, shipbuilding is a land of contrast.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

. Your main limiting factor is gonna be the depth of the water around the bigger ports, and to my knowledge the biggest are limited to a very few ports.

On the bulk side I often see draft restrictions of: 11.9, 12.5, 13.0, 13.3, 13.5 for many of the Asian ports. Even a panamax is hitting those before it cubes out with light SF cargoes. Even the handy's might only hit thier marks in the winter.

On the container side there is way too much capacity right now. I suspect specific large lines are trying to drive smaller lines out of business.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
I'll post something I made in grad school on the subject when I find it. Don't hold your breath though, new baby coming anytime here.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Is that a Chinamax spec or an entirely different restriction?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is that a Chinamax spec or an entirely different restriction?

Most of the grain discharge terminals in China are 13.0 or 13.3. Several in Japan are 11.9. 13.5 is a couple in Korea. Off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

On the bulk side I often see draft restrictions of: 11.9, 12.5, 13.0, 13.3, 13.5 for many of the Asian ports. Even a panamax is hitting those before it cubes out with light SF cargoes. Even the handy's might only hit thier marks in the winter.

On the container side there is way too much capacity right now. I suspect specific large lines are trying to drive smaller lines out of business.

Economist has pieces on this every now and then. It was a driving factor for Hanjin and then NOLs sale to CMA CGM. The top three are profitable due to scale but the industry is fragmented and ship building and shipping is subsidized by governments that view it as a strategic/national/ whatever priority.

• Locked thread