Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The new Dead When I Found Her cover tape is pretty cool. But seriously gently caress tape releases. Got rid of my record player, and sure as hell not going to go buy a tape deck.
Ooh I like that band. But ditto on tape decks. On my way out the door at the Youth Code show I saw them selling tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jaSMiKJ9A0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Yeah, tape is just stupid. Records I can understand, but there was no redeeming value in tapes. None. Half these kids weren't even around to suffer through using the drat things. The day I could afford my first CD player was one of the highlights of middle school.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Buying music on cassettes reminds me of high school, and I'm generally not interested in being reminded of high school.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm not sold on vinyl either, but it's taking me a long rear end time to upgrade my equipment. It's not like I have tube amplifiers in my system.

When I hear pops and hisses I'm reminded of why we were all so quick to dump vinyl in the first place.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

teethgrinder posted:

I'm not sold on vinyl either, but it's taking me a long rear end time to upgrade my equipment. It's not like I have tube amplifiers in my system.

When I hear pops and hisses I'm reminded of why we were all so quick to dump vinyl in the first place.

But only by adding pops and hisses can we hear the true sound of the music!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cassettes sound pretty distinctive, look cool and are dirt-cheap to make, which makes them ideal for niche genre artists who might want to make, say, 20 physical copies of their release. My brother has put a couple of his extremely experimental things out on cassette and he's always managed to sell every single copy.

Anyway, it seems that those who bought the DWIFH cassette also got download codes, so I'm sure at least some of the fans who bought it will never even listen to the physical thing itself and just treat it as a limited edition collectible thing. That's how I'd would've done it if I'd bought a copy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Cassettes sound pretty distinctive, look cool and are dirt-cheap to make, which makes them ideal for niche genre artists who might want to make, say, 20 physical copies of their release. My brother has put a couple of his extremely experimental things out on cassette and he's always managed to sell every single copy.

Anyway, it seems that those who bought the DWIFH cassette also got download codes, so I'm sure at least some of the fans who bought it will never even listen to the physical thing itself and just treat it as a limited edition collectible thing. That's how I'd would've done it if I'd bought a copy.
I'm just old enough to remember tapes. Like, me as a little kid listening to Michael Jackson on cassettes my parents got me for Christmas. Dad's Jethro Tull which I thought was really boring. drat now you're making me nostalgic.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Vinyl has an argument in that there is absolutely no digital compression at all, by the nature of the medium. Tapes sucked. I guess the only good thing I could think of to say about tapes are that they can't get scratched easily. However, they can and do get worn out or eaten by a lovely tape deck. The album art was itty bitty and often they had different tracklists because there wasn't as much room on a decent quality casette. There's a lot of nostalgia for vinyl records. i've yet to hear anybody wax poetic about the days of casettes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I've heard, modern bands producing cassettes is basically a way for them to produce a limited print run much more cheaply than vinyl, and for their fans to support them by buying a novelty.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, I don't think anyone buys a cassette to actually listen to the music. It's a collectable, and in that sense it's a bit neater than having the band's logo on a cheap lighter or something.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I'm tempted to release something on 8-Track, and secretly just scratch the names off old 8-Tracks and sell that to them. Because who is gonna actually listen to it and not just shove it in their closet.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

The Cleaner posted:

I'm tempted to release something on 8-Track, and secretly just scratch the names off old 8-Tracks and sell that to them. Because who is gonna actually listen to it and not just shove it in their closet.

fyi I loved your last 8-track of Funkytown.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Cleaner posted:

Should get some old Van Halen tapes. Hot for Teacher.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

boo_radley posted:

http://threshold.greedbag.com/

not exactly the same, but it's there...

So, my order of THIS IMMORTAL COIL finally came and it's phenomenal. Traditional acoustic instruments, but their covers are interesting and distinct from the source material in a lot of ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3s8dVXLjcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns483Bs0BcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOvW-05Ab1k

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
That Will Oldham cover of "Ostia" just makes me feel such regret that Coil never did the planned collaboration with him.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
One of my favorites for 2013 is Distorted Memory's The Eternal Return. I've heard a bunch of his stuff before and been thoroughly unimpressed but this is just an incredible album from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqcjQ_nXjBM

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The Category is "Crazy poo poo D. Myer has done"

smoke jump up

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

boo_radley posted:

The Category is "Crazy poo poo D. Myer has done"

smoke jump up

In 2011 I did an industrial vs hip-hop DJ set at Kinetik.

It was at the time the most controversial thing I had done at Kinetik.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

:allears:

There's so much crossover with industrial and hip-hop. Why isn't there more of this? I genuinely love it.

e: oh, that reminds me... my abortive mashup I started a few months ago was Nachmahr vs. Nicki Minaj. If anybody want to run with that, go nuts.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

boo_radley posted:

There's so much crossover with industrial and hip-hop. Why isn't there more of this? I genuinely love it.

I don't want to say 'racism', but the number of white rivetheads who are instantly dismissive of artists like Jay-Z or Kanye as uncultured guns-and-bitches thugs and then go listen to Combichrist is really something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm in favour of any hip-hop mashups that do not involve songs on the radio, because a lot of people come to clubs to get the gently caress away from what's on the radio.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Twiin posted:

It's beautiful. :swoon:

So does this mean you've done something even more controversial since then?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm in favour of any hip-hop mashups that do not involve songs on the radio, because a lot of people come to clubs to get the gently caress away from what's on the radio.

I like using mashups to re-contextualize music. Like, in that mashup I took slower tracks by Soulja Boy and Dead Prez and put them to fast aggro music, and I think it works. Sure, you'll hear Soulja Boy on the radio, but when you hear it on a double-time Cubanate beat it sounds like a different song, which is what I dig. That NIN/Carly Rae Jepsen mashup works so well because it shows you just how poppy NIN really is. It's not just taking In Da Club and putting it to Closer.

Plastic Pal posted:

It's beautiful. :swoon:

So does this mean you've done something even more controversial since then?

Thanks, pal!

I did a thing with my backing video during my set Kinetik before last about how Combichrist and Nachtmahr are pretty lovely on gender and race. A lot of people were pretty upset about it!

Twiin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 7, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
WE DEMAND BEYONCE

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twiin posted:

I did a thing with my backing video during my set Kinetik before last about how Combichrist and Nachtmahr are pretty lovely on gender and race. A lot of people were pretty upset about it!

I liked your line about how you did that, yet it was only when you suggested that Too Dark Park might not be the second coming that you felt threatened.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Halloween Jack posted:

WE DEMAND BEYONCE

Wait, I forgot the spikes:

there we go.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 7, 2014

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Twiin posted:

I don't want to say 'racism', but the number of white rivetheads who are instantly dismissive of artists like Jay-Z or Kanye as uncultured guns-and-bitches thugs and then go listen to Combichrist is really something.

You will never not convince me that Kanye's Black Skinhead isn't a hella fine piece of industrial. That song owns.

[edit]

vvvvv

Can't stop playing it.

Having listened to it a thousand times I have to say my only complaint is that every song has a short silent section that bombastically jumps back into loudness again. I've never been a huge fan of that tactic in music anyway, but to have it in almost every track really hurts the variety a little.
Other than that, literally perfect.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 7, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Its probably been said a few times in this thread, but holy poo poo the new Gary Numan is really, really good.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Numan really is. For some reason his latest album reminds me of mid-90's Information Society reboot. Dunno why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2RMWWBXYbs

Perfect. Is that Covenant's Northern Light album cover in the background?

mrsvend3245
Oct 9, 2013
some stuff by me

kinda industrial but not totally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pborr78r17o

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

mrsvend3245 posted:

some stuff by me

:frogout: My Wizard

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

mrsvend3245 posted:

some stuff by me

That's pretty good! Not really something that fits in the thread (which isn't bad!), but I like things that cross many genres. My Wizard is a hilarious (and great) name, although I really want a song sequence that describes a D&D campaign. Sort of like Lord Weird Slough Feg but idm/industrial/etc. I hope you're working on this. :neckbeard:

mrsvend3245
Oct 9, 2013

Im out.

mrsvend3245
Oct 9, 2013

Noricae posted:

That's pretty good! Not really something that fits in the thread (which isn't bad!), but I like things that cross many genres. My Wizard is a hilarious (and great) name, although I really want a song sequence that describes a D&D campaign. Sort of like Lord Weird Slough Feg but idm/industrial/etc. I hope you're working on this. :neckbeard:

haha of course i am, Im a D&D veteran, haha.
(not really)

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
What programs do you use to get those dubsteppy sounds?

mrsvend3245
Oct 9, 2013

Quirk posted:

What programs do you use to get those dubsteppy sounds?

well i use ableton for my DAW
as for synths i use mostly Sylenth and Massive as well.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Be My Enemy dropped a new track today, and it is bangin.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you haven't seen it already, Twiin got a bunch of people last year to put up their albums for free download in memory of Aaron Swartz. In case you need something to listen to.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

If you haven't seen it already, Twiin got a bunch of people last year to put up their albums for free download in memory of Aaron Swartz. In case you need something to listen to.

You know, looking at that again now there's a batch of albums that I prepped and uploaded, but I must not have updated the HTML. Caustic and a few other people. I'll have to add that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw this article about Ministry on Twitter and thought it might interest people here(possibly I'm following one of you guys, WHO KNOWS?)

http://intonarumoron.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/every-days-is-halloween-the-evolution-of-ministry/