Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

extra stout posted:

You sell these I imagine? Or just really like to stock a freezer or three? Nice work

Can anyone tell what reel this guy threw on his ugly stik rod? Curious if it's really rated higher than 12 pounds or if he just busted the one that comes in the combo, I really need to eventually get a big rig going for as cheap as possible, year #3 on a $40 ugly stik combo and so far nothings broke but the line, even that hasn't gone since I learned to not swing bullhead out of the water into my hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rlYr7-KuQ

Nah it's not a commercial boat. I kept two of the four lingcods I caught and gave the other two to a very unlucky guy. Really made his day. Otherwise our limit is 7 rockfish.

I think he has braid on. It's pretty think so it may be like 20-30lb braid.

I cant ID the reel after a few minutes. Doesnt look like anything all that fancy.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is there a guide to servicing reels? My Shimano is feeling kinda gritty.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Anyone had a lot of experience with Lew's rods? I have a 7ft MH American Hero casting rod that was defeated by a lily pad and 12lb mono. Just snapped right in half, which evidently isn't a rare occurrence. Should I pay the $20 for a warranty replacement/shipping on another identical rod or is there something else I should replace it with in the $60-$100 range for an all around casting rod? I liked the length and action of the 7ft MH.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I usually get by with youtube videos and a parts diagram. What model do you have?

charliebravo77 posted:

Anyone had a lot of experience with Lew's rods? I have a 7ft MH American Hero casting rod that was defeated by a lily pad and 12lb mono. Just snapped right in half, which evidently isn't a rare occurrence. Should I pay the $20 for a warranty replacement/shipping on another identical rod or is there something else I should replace it with in the $60-$100 range for an all around casting rod? I liked the length and action of the 7ft MH.

Even assuming that the 12lb broke at 16-20lbs (which is not uncommon, american lines are far stronger then the rating), that is really suspicious and would make me not want an other one.

A used St. Croix Premier is decent in that price range, although they tend to fish a little heavier than the rating. If you can find a good deal on a used avid they are apparently we are St. Croix rods really start getting good.

I have a Fenwick Smallmouth Elite 6'8" MH that I really like, they're discontinued but you can find them on eBay for around 80 to 100 bucks shipped. They have a really short butt section, which for me is a plus as I fish out of the kayak pretty often. It's rated from 3/8 ounces to 1 1/4 ounces, with a sweet spot right in the middle.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Star rods are really nice too, and deals on the Star Stellar Lite can sometimes be found at the high end of your budget.

I presume you got snagged and tried to use the rod to break free? That's one of the most common causes of snapped rods, along with car doors and high sticking. To free a snag, point the rod directly at the snag so there is no stress on the rod, cup the reel to hold it in place, and pull.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 30, 2017

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Enigma posted:

I presume you got snagged and tried to use the rod to break free? That's one of the most common causes of snapped rods, along with car doors and high sticking. To free a snag, point the rod directly at the snag so there is no stress on the rod, cup the reel to hold it in place, and pull.
Guilty.

I wondered if maybe it was my fault, but after doing some reading lots of them break in the same place - perhaps everyone is doing the same thing, but I am a little leery about replacing it with the same thing in any case.

I'll check out some St. Croix stuff. Cabelas sent me a 15% off fishing gear coupon the other day so that'll help a bit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also look around for 4th of July sales, Saint Croix I think is one of those manufactures that has a minimum advertised price rule, but most online places will give you the discount if you call and ask.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Just found this thread! I started fishing for the first time about 3 weeks ago with my wife who hasn't fished since childhood. Been having a lot of fun, lots of catches and pictures of fish! Crossposting from the thread in gbs, quite proud of my catch yesterday.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Went back out wading in the Nith river with my wife today for my birthday. Caught about 15 between the two of us, mostly smallies but a couple mooneyes and rockbass too. Had a great day already, and when we were about to pack it in we headed to a nearby bridge upstream of where we were wading and I rigged up a senko. I had been using a spinner all day with good success, and I have had yet to catch a single thing on these drat senkos. I was about to give up on it again until this bad boy struck

Made the whole day even better and totally redeemed the senkos for me lol. Definitely my biggest fish ever, maybe 16-17"?

Caught a decent footlong wading too which I thought was gonna be my day best before that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Find a parts list/schematic, and pull the reel apart, making sure not to lose any of the little screws and washers. Clean the old grease and oil off everything with a solvent then put some new grease on, I use Inox MX8 but something like Quantum Hot Sauce or Cal's if you can get it might work a bit better. Then you put the reel together again and hopefully there's no parts left on your bench once you've tightened the last screw. If it's the first time you've re-assembled a reel it might take a couple of goes before you make it fit together properly.

Be careful with Shimano because they can be a bit funny about repairing or replacing reels under warranty if an unauthorised repairer opens up their reels.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I will add that is very helpful to take pictures of the process. At least for casting reels, the parts diagram does not show orientation perfectly and you can drive yourself crazy by say putting the anti-reverse bearing in upside down.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I will add that is very helpful to take pictures of the process. At least for casting reels, the parts diagram does not show orientation perfectly and you can drive yourself crazy by say putting the anti-reverse bearing in upside down.

Fuuuck. This is a cheap reel. I think I'm gonna open it up and grease it and that's it, I'll spend the time learning one when I buy a really good one next year. I'm out of town so I can't take a peek at it right now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Fuuuck. This is a cheap reel. I think I'm gonna open it up and grease it and that's it, I'll spend the time learning one when I buy a really good one next year. I'm out of town so I can't take a peek at it right now.

That's the spirit. I just rehabbed two old shakespeare reels with a quick strip down, clean out, and fresh grease, they work just fine now. One had a major hitch in the cast, found a big twist of mono up in it's guts that took a bit of work to extract, works just fine now for hucking bait out. I keep it and some frankensteined rod in my car for lunchtime fishing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I think mine just needs a little lube. I used my old Mitchell rod the other day and it was smooth as hell compared to my Shimano so I know something's up.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Decided to go with an Abu Garcia Vendetta 7' MH fast action. I'll probably still RMA the Lews since it's only another $20 and have a spare, or buy another reel since every loving hobby of mine is N+1.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

Been there, done that.

An egg carton is good for storing little bits, and you can use sequential compartments to store each "step" of the disassembly.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Heads up - Free fishing in Ontario this whole week (July 1-9).

http://www.ontariofamilyfishing.com/

Take advantage and get your friends, family, lovers, or frenemies into fishing!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fished again in and below conestogo lake yesterday for pike, didn't have a single drat bite. Right below the dam looked like a great spot because other people were catching fish, but I couldn't entice em with anything

Also after that great catch on Friday I want to use more plastics. I fish in southern Ontario, right now mostly for bass and pike when I'm looking for trophies. I have some Berkeley 3" grub powerbait in yellow that I've never caught anything on and 6" watermelon red senkos that I caught the bass on. Oh and I guess some 3" Berkeley shads or minnows or something that I've caught mostly rockbass and crappie on. Any recommendations/favourites?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Fished again in and below conestogo lake yesterday for pike, didn't have a single drat bite. Right below the dam looked like a great spot because other people were catching fish, but I couldn't entice em with anything

Also after that great catch on Friday I want to use more plastics. I fish in southern Ontario, right now mostly for bass and pike when I'm looking for trophies. I have some Berkeley 3" grub powerbait in yellow that I've never caught anything on and 6" watermelon red senkos that I caught the bass on. Oh and I guess some 3" Berkeley shads or minnows or something that I've caught mostly rockbass and crappie on. Any recommendations/favourites?

I'm a big fan of the Strike King Rage Menace Grub. It's an incredibly versatile plastic and is durable enough that you can generally get quite a few fish on it before becomes unusable.

The zoom super fluke is another amazingly effective bait. They work great on the pretty wide variety of tackle and rigs, and are quite inexpensive.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Bangkero posted:

Heads up - Free fishing in Ontario this whole week (July 1-9).

http://www.ontariofamilyfishing.com/

Take advantage and get your friends, family, lovers, or frenemies into fishing!
Too bad I just came back from fishing Eagle Lake in Ontario for a week last Friday, could have saved myself a few bucks. Anyway, the fishing was pretty good, and I caught a 24" and 25" Northern on consecutive days in pretty much the same spot. Also, the other guy in my boat was about two feet away from catching a decent sized Muskie, thanks to the stupid short-handled lodge-provided net in our boat :argh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

40 minute limit with setup on red rocks.

Good day on the dock.

Time to boil!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I just got a much bigger than expected tax return and now I'm going kayak shopping :neckbeard:

I think I'll be able to squeeze in both a peddle yak for luring in tree filled lakes and something a bit nicer than my current Prowler for offshore work if I can find a couple for sale second hand

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've been fishing with tenkara and keiryu rods for a while now, and I really love it. I hooked a 16-inch largemouth earlier tonight on my 18 foot carp rod, and it was a lovely 3-minute fight to tire the fish out before landing it. The Nissin Kyogi rod is flexible enough to protect 5 and 6x tippet - this bass was caught on 5x.

I'm considering getting an 8-meter salmon rod - I'm about two hours drive from one of the best-stocked steelhead rivers in the US, and I'd love to pull in steelhead, coho, and kings on a fixed-line setup. Worth 500 dollars? I guess a nice fly rod can cost that much, so probably.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Couple months ago I posted asking about fishing the Delaware River.

Trip report after first few hours. Many bites on the Ned rig. Couldn't set a single hook between the three of us hahaha. Been having fun regardless.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My wife just told me that for my birthday she got me a guided tour on Lake Texoma. 7 hours or bag limit, I just need to bring myself, the guide provides everything else!

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

My wife just told me that for my birthday she got me a guided tour on Lake Texoma. 7 hours or bag limit, I just need to bring myself, the guide provides everything else!

Marry dat wife

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Couple months ago I posted asking about fishing the Delaware River.

Trip report after first few hours. Many bites on the Ned rig. Couldn't set a single hook between the three of us hahaha. Been having fun regardless.

I'm not sure if you're asking for hookset advice but I watched and read a ton about hooksets after my own struggles in order to fix them. Here is what I found through all my reading and viewing:

I switched to short, firm, hooksets with a quick dip when I feel the weight of the fish on the line. AKA continuous pressure. Some pros dip the line so they can get slack in the line to get the tip moving a bit faster so they can get the necessary momentum to get 1) the plastic down the hook, 2) the hook tip into a tough part of the fish, and then 3) the hook tip past the barb through the tough part of the fish. The rod dip is essentially the "is a hotdog a sandwich" of the bass fishing world. Some people say to reel down to create pressure instead. I find the rod dip works, but I fish T-rigged plastics almost exclusively.

Anyway, Gene Jensen has a ton of good videos and he says he waits at least 2 seconds before setting the hook with soft plastics on bass to give them time to get the whole plastic in their mouth. The old adage of yanking the bait as soon as you feel a bite because "a tug is free" seems to be on the way out.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 7, 2017

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

LingcodKilla posted:

Did really good today with rockfish and lingcods.
Got my limit of rockfish, a greenling and 4 lingcod.

The boat did good overall.

Pound for pound and dollar for dollar I think it's pretty hard to beat fresh ling cod.

God drat, I'm jealous.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I think I've found the two kayaks I want, a Stealth Fisha 500 and a Native Watercraft Slayer 13, both second hand. Those two should have me covered for pretty much every kind of kayak fishing there is around here. The Slayer comes with a sounder so I can just buy a second transducer, slap it in the Fisha and swap the head unit to whichever yak I'm using at the time.

I'm pretty excited, hopefully I can get both this weekend.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not sure if you're asking for hookset advice but I watched and read a ton about hooksets after my own struggles in order to fix them. Here is what I found through all my reading and viewing:

I switched to short, firm, hooksets with a quick dip when I feel the weight of the fish on the line. AKA continuous pressure. Some pros dip the line so they can get slack in the line to get the tip moving a bit faster so they can get the necessary momentum to get 1) the plastic down the hook, 2) the hook tip into a tough part of the fish, and then 3) the hook tip past the barb through the tough part of the fish. The rod dip is essentially the "is a hotdog a sandwich" of the bass fishing world. Some people say to reel down to create pressure instead. I find the rod dip works, but I fish T-rigged plastics almost exclusively.

Anyway, Gene Jensen has a ton of good videos and he says he waits at least 2 seconds before setting the hook with soft plastics on bass to give them time to get the whole plastic in their mouth. The old adage of yanking the bait as soon as you feel a bite because "a tug is free" seems to be on the way out.

So I think the fish were nibbling the end of the plastic worms I was using, not getting the hook in their mouth. I sat on the bite for a bit and then yanked, and ended up hooking a few smallmouth. My friends and I were thinking "gently caress! We're just not fast enough! Gotta be quicker." and hoping to yank as hard and fast as possible at the smallest sign.

Then we tried waiting it out, and it worked. We got some tiny fish, but fish nonetheless. I'm just glad we got SOMETHING. Thanks for the advice, it really helped.

Also thanks to the rest of the thread with the recommendations when I previously posted.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Rotten Cookies posted:

So I think the fish were nibbling the end of the plastic worms I was using, not getting the hook in their mouth. I sat on the bite for a bit and then yanked, and ended up hooking a few smallmouth. My friends and I were thinking "gently caress! We're just not fast enough! Gotta be quicker." and hoping to yank as hard and fast as possible at the smallest sign.

Then we tried waiting it out, and it worked. We got some tiny fish, but fish nonetheless. I'm just glad we got SOMETHING. Thanks for the advice, it really helped.

Also thanks to the rest of the thread with the recommendations when I previously posted.

Largemouth ball the worm up (or so I'm told), giving you a bit more of a window to set the hook than you would have with other types of fish. Be careful with sitting on a bite too long though or you can guthook the dumb ones.

Maybe also try circle hooks? You don't need to set the hook, just reel in the slack. They work well for snapper, but I've never tried them for bass (and we don't have smallmouth this far south).

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 11, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Waiting too long does risk got hooking them, so it's better to air on the side of setting up too soon. Another issue could be the relationship between the hook and your plastic. You generally want the gap of the hook to be about twice the thickness of the plastic you are using.

Got this nice one this morning on a chatter bait and then add three more hours of nothing. Currently sitting in the shade trying to figure out how to kill four hours before the temperature drops to reasonable again.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Just ordered this crazy thing:

http://www.poleandline.com/rudow-8500-japanese-long-fishing-pole.html

8.5 meter Japanese fixed-line salmon/steelhead rod. I can't wait to get my hands on it and try it out on the fall salmon runs from Lake Michigan.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just know I'm envious of all you guys who can fish for salmon.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Goons on da river: Me and patron saint of thread Bongwizzard got out this past Sunday on the upper Potomac to do some smallmouth fishing. It was a picture perfect day. Here he is slayin' nem smallmouth

He also got his first catfish on a rapala lure. Uncommon, but not unheard of for not using chicken livers.

We caught several smallies each before they stopped biting in the late morning, but we scouted some good spots for next time and I got a lot of info about gear. I had forgotten how exciting smallmouth are - I didn't land half of what I hooked, as they jumped and some spit the lure out.

Also just a few months ago a girl got MD record muskie not far from here - http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/05/10/record-muskie-caught-in-washington-county/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Harpers Ferry was a hoot and I need to remember to keep checking the water level and go back there, when it's about a foot lower a ton more of the river becomes fishable.

I switched ponds and got this guy and about five or six of his dumb friends. Everything came on various weightless or lightly-waited soft plastics. I mistakingly grabbed the wrong little box of hooks and was forced to use some EWG worm hooks and lost like three fish trying to use them with a ribbon tail worm.

I also had an wacky senko last for four fish!

I was really impressed, until it flew off three cats later and caused an enormous backlash. I don't know anyway to avoid that other then to only fish wacky senkos on a spinning reel I guess. In any case, I'm really happy with the 1/0 Owner wacky hooks. They hold the worm very well even without an o-ring and with the barb pinched down I was able to get the hook out very easily from a pair of bass that swallowed the worm.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Yammamoto's do not last long at all.

You can use some small O-rings around where you have the hook, and place them in an X shape and get the lure to last longer.

YUM and a few other brands last considerably longer. Yams are just so salt packed and flimsy, but really good if you have the money for them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hagie posted:

Yammamoto's do not last long at all.

You can use some small O-rings around where you have the hook, and place them in an X shape and get the lure to last longer.

YUM and a few other brands last considerably longer. Yams are just so salt packed and flimsy, but really good if you have the money for them.

Oh he knows. Also there is nothing wrong with Bass Pro Shop Stik-o's.

Edit: Nice work on those fish. Hopefully this weekend I have some photos to share with you guys.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 12, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zman plastics last forever, do they make anything like one of those funny bass worms?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Zman plastics last forever, do they make anything like one of those funny bass worms?

zman's elaztech are designed to float the ned rig, so you don't really want to use anything like that. you want plastic worms to sink. that's why you don't use senkos on a ned rig or zman's on a regular hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I have 2 bags of heads and 3 bags of different tails for my ned rig and I still haven't tried them.