Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Take a picture with your phone or whatever. Come on, you're asking for help, don't make me boot up the stupid game.

Sorry.

The HDD install is the more confusing one; The options can just be trial and error, but instead of resetting multiple times, I just wanna know if there is a subtitles option in that list..

Also, I intended to drop the idea, but after seeing the voice acting play out, I'm once again curious how a more faithful translation might compare to the original localization of Yakuza 1. Here's some text to see if anyone is willing to take a stab at a rough translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Jamesman posted:

Sorry.

The HDD install is the more confusing one; The options can just be trial and error, but instead of resetting multiple times, I just wanna know if there is a subtitles option in that list..

Also, I intended to drop the idea, but after seeing the voice acting play out, I'm once again curious how a more faithful translation might compare to the original localization of Yakuza 1. Here's some text to see if anyone is willing to take a stab at a rough translation.

The HDD install menu from the top. (The second one's the same, except it's for installing "Ryu2" data in line 1.)
"Ryu 1" HDD install Execute
Use installed data Off ON
"Ryu 1" delete installed data Execute
"Ryu 2" delete installed data Execute

Options (these are identical)
Screen size
Controller feedback
Subtitles
Camera
Color bar display (This is reversed with "Event Skip" in the second Option Menu screen cap.)
Event skip
Exit

The event translation looks too much like work.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sure, I'm up for a bit of very rough translation. I've never heard the English version of Yakuza 1 so I have no idea how close or far these are.
My underlings should have told you the situation yesterday.

That doesn't mean much coming from you, since you're clearly preparing to skip town.

Also, you shouldn't make promises you can't keep.

The Dojima group just does collections and hits, doesn't it?

People who don't pay up get made examples of.

That's what everyone says!

Say...

People who won't pay saying what is and isn't...(incomplete)

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 10, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I do have to admit, I'm curious to know what the original Japanese dialogue for "I peacocked your mom last night" would have been.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sure, I'm up for a bit of very rough translation. I've never heard the English version of Yakuza 1 so I have no idea how close or far these are.

That doesn't mean much coming from you, since you're clearly preparing to skip town.

Say...

While this is accurate it also seems like a pretty polite way to work the rough-and-tumble sound of the original.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

While this is accurate it also seems like a pretty polite way to work the rough-and-tumble sound of the original.
Yeah, well, I suck at writing that way even in English. You can only be good at translating something if you are good at writing in that style in general. I guess that's why I'm not a professional translator.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Say...

Here's the English version of those lines;

When you don't pay your debts, I'm what you get.

I'm supposed to believe this poo poo as you're packing up, getting ready to bail out!? I'll say it slower. Where is our money?

I've heard about the Dojima Family. You guys collect your debts at the end of a gun barrel... Right? When someone doesn't pay up you kill 'em to prove a point... Everyone knows...

Listen. That's just a rumor... spread by fools that can't pay their dues.

I singled out those lines because I was curious about Kiryu's early characterization, the reputation of the Dojima Family, and Shinji's curiously consoling response to a guy clearly trying to cheat them. Things seem fairly close, so I can really only nitpick over the "feel" of the lines and the way they are delivered.

I was going to post some lines from the next cutscene to compare Majima's characterization, but I don't know if it would be worth it. Although I did notice in the localized version, they replace his grunts with screams of "loving!! MOTHERFUCKER!" because Sega of America had a bad word quota to fill on this game.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Still enjoying 3 but...man the "run after a guy" mission type is not at all fun. One downside of having a franchise that puts out a new game every year is that I'll probably have to look forward to this type of mission showing up in every one of these games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Still enjoying 3 but...man the "run after a guy" mission type is not at all fun. One downside of having a franchise that puts out a new game every year is that I'll probably have to look forward to this type of mission showing up in every one of these games.
It gets better, I think. In Y4 you can throw bottles to deplete the runner's stamina. In Dead Souls you also get to shoot zombies and explosives in your path.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Here's the English version of those lines;

When you don't pay your debts, I'm what you get.

I'm supposed to believe this poo poo as you're packing up, getting ready to bail out!? I'll say it slower. Where is our money?

I've heard about the Dojima Family. You guys collect your debts at the end of a gun barrel... Right? When someone doesn't pay up you kill 'em to prove a point... Everyone knows...

Listen. That's just a rumor... spread by fools that can't pay their dues.

I singled out those lines because I was curious about Kiryu's early characterization, the reputation of the Dojima Family, and Shinji's curiously consoling response to a guy clearly trying to cheat them. Things seem fairly close, so I can really only nitpick over the "feel" of the lines and the way they are delivered.

I was going to post some lines from the next cutscene to compare Majima's characterization, but I don't know if it would be worth it. Although I did notice in the localized version, they replace his grunts with screams of "loving!! MOTHERFUCKER!" because Sega of America had a bad word quota to fill on this game.

That is pretty in line with the feel of the original IMO.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Since I already had some Majima lines, I might as well post them.

Localized version of this;

quote:

Relax...
I hear you're trying to start your own family.
Oh yeah... that bar over there. That's where your girl works... I hear she's hot. Everyone's jealous of you... I know I'd like to nail a bitch like that...

And going back to look at the old PS2 footage compared to the HD remasters, I am seriously blown away by how much nicer the remasters look. So much more vibrant. If the character models had a higher polygon count, you would really think this was a PS3 game. I wish I could just do LPs entirely off the PS3 versions, but it would be way too messy to overly english text over all the gameplay parts.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 10, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Since I already had some Majima lines, I might as well post them.

Localized version of this;

And going back to look at the old PS2 footage compared to the HD remasters, I am seriously blown away by how much nicer the remasters look. So much more vibrant. If the character models had a higher polygon count, you would really think this was a PS3 game. I wish I could just do LPs entirely off the PS3 versions, but it would be way too messy to overly english text over all the gameplay parts.

Really the localization is fine. It's kind of weird to me that people are so fixated on the small differences in this localization when you have countless games where all the characters are renamed and the setting is changed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Really the localization is fine. It's kind of weird to me that people are so fixated on the small differences in this localization when you have countless games where all the characters are renamed and the setting is changed.
Yeah. To me, being word for word accurate is a very low priority for translation, and the official translations posted above seem almost ideal to me.

edit: I didn't always think that way; in high school I was your typical anime fan yelling about how the three words of Japanese I knew didn't match up with the translation.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 11, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's not something I'm fixated on, but it's something I was curious about and wanted some answers on. It seems like I have those answers now.

Edit: You also have to realize I don't/didn't know if they are small differences or not, since I do not speak the language, which is why I was asking.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 11, 2015

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I'm trying to find copies of Yakuza 3 and 4 US... it's so hard to find them at a decent price for some reason, already settled for the UK copy of 3 which was literally a dollar though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You can get 4 off the US PSN, 3 might be a harder find.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just finished the first chapter with Saejima in 4. I quite enjoyed it! Lots of manly speeches and feelings and the scene with the "washed up" bag was cute. Being able to pick up motorcycles and mopeds is great! Fighting Uncle Kaz was scary as hell - I haven't actually played any other Yakuza games but I've seen enough of them to know what Saejima was getting into. It'll be interesting to see if the game will try to redeem Saejima or if it will just kind of drop the whole mass murder thing.

The prison was so badly guarded and run it was kind of distracting though. And I definitely would have preferred to live my life without ever watching the first scene with Saejima and Haruka. That was uncomfortable as hell.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Japanese Phone Box posted:

I'm trying to find copies of Yakuza 3 and 4 US... it's so hard to find them at a decent price for some reason, already settled for the UK copy of 3 which was literally a dollar though.
4 is free for PSN+ users at the moment. Unless you want a physical copy I guess.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah. To me, being word for word accurate is a very low priority for translation, and the official translations posted above seem almost ideal to me.

edit: I didn't always think that way; in high school I was your typical anime fan yelling about how the three words of Japanese I knew didn't match up with the translation.

Transliteration can result in incorrect translation, as Hollywood aside, languages aren't mad libs.

I mean, this is a language where the English "that's a stupid idea, you're stupid for asking, and I'm stupider for listening" would translate as "Ah. You wish to do (insert thing here). That would be... Difficult."

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Renoistic posted:

It'll be interesting to see if the game will try to redeem Saejima or if it will just kind of drop the whole mass murder thing.

It gets resolved...that's all I'll say.

And just a tip: A couple of times in Saejima's chapter you can't run around and do whatever you want because the cops will be looking for you. Just get past those as quick as possible and you can get back to "normal." Also, you don't miss anything because you can always run around as Saejima (or any of the 4) in the post game.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, same here, but eventually you realize that, like, the effect of calling someone "oniisan" in an English text is nothing like the effect in a Japanese text, so it's not really more true to the text to do that.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Japanese Phone Box posted:

I remember trying to get the discount deal on 3 when 4 was out and you bought it through K-Mart. It was still hard to find back then.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
repost:

Giving Yakuza 4 as a ps+ game was an excellent decision by Sega because I've never bought a Yakuza game and never knew what kind of game they were but now that I've played 4 I'm definitely going to buy 5.

Now I really want Yakuza 0 for ps4 if it ever gets released in the US

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

El Hefe posted:

repost:

Giving Yakuza 4 as a ps+ game was an excellent decision by Sega because I've never bought a Yakuza game and never knew what kind of game they were but now that I've played 4 I'm definitely going to buy 5.

Now I really want Yakuza 0 for ps4 if it ever gets released in the US

Yessssss. One of us.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
OK I give up. Can someone tell me how to find the Yakuza 5 demo in the Japanese PSN? I can't navigate the store at all with everything in japanese.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wonder if I need a Japanese keyboard to actually be able to input Japanese into the consoles. When it comes to Yak5 I cannot find a demo available; https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/ja-jp/%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2/f=%5E%E9%BE%8D%E3%81%8C%E5%A6%82%E3%81%8F%7Cbucket~games

Most likely it got taken down since Sony wanted money per download(ed amount of data) in the PS3 times, that's why they removed Valkyria Chronicles and more demos.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

MrLonghair posted:

I wonder if I need a Japanese keyboard to actually be able to input Japanese into the consoles. When it comes to Yak5 I cannot find a demo available; https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/ja-jp/%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2/f=%5E%E9%BE%8D%E3%81%8C%E5%A6%82%E3%81%8F%7Cbucket~games

Most likely it got taken down since Sony wanted money per download(ed amount of data) in the PS3 times, that's why they removed Valkyria Chronicles and more demos.

That's a shame. I wanted to give 5 a shot right now, not that I need convincing to buy it. At least I can still try Ishin.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Just finished the first chapter with Saejima in 4. I quite enjoyed it! Lots of manly speeches and feelings and the scene with the "washed up" bag was cute. Being able to pick up motorcycles and mopeds is great! Fighting Uncle Kaz was scary as hell - I haven't actually played any other Yakuza games but I've seen enough of them to know what Saejima was getting into. It'll be interesting to see if the game will try to redeem Saejima or if it will just kind of drop the whole mass murder thing.

The prison was so badly guarded and run it was kind of distracting though. And I definitely would have preferred to live my life without ever watching the first scene with Saejima and Haruka. That was uncomfortable as hell.

Yakuza series is pretty drat well known for the protagonist being the triggerman but not the killer, a similar situation happens in Kurohyou.

But yes, Saejima's speech was pretty drat tearful. Saejima is proof that not all crime sandbox characters treats murder so casually.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I'm also in chapter 4 but my question is can I ever play as Akiyama again? is there at least a post game where I can switch characters at will?

There are a bunch of things I didn't get to do with Akiyama...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You will play as everyone soon enough and can finish all your side story stuff then. All four unlock before the ending.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Caitlin posted:

You will play as everyone soon enough and can finish all your side story stuff then.

Oh thank gently caress. Enter the next chapter in Ishin and goodbye side-missions you didn't complete on time.

I entered a door too early in one chapter forgetting all about the Sumo brothel side-mission and lost out on three Ryo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Also in Yakuza 4, once you beat the game, you unlock Adventure Mode, which lets you run around in basically a sandbox version of Kamurocho, with no missions to complete, just the ability to run around completing sidequests and playing minigames, but this time in goofy costumes. You can switch between characters at will and do everything then.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Crappy Jack posted:

Also in Yakuza 4, once you beat the game, you unlock Adventure Mode, which lets you run around in basically a sandbox version of Kamurocho, with no missions to complete, just the ability to run around completing sidequests and playing minigames, but this time in goofy costumes. You can switch between characters at will and do everything then.

Cool

The coliseum is lots of fun

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Oh. OH.

Also, do everybody's training quests (Akiyama with the dude on the roof, Saejima with the underground tunnels, and Tanimura with the Korean girl) at some point before The Final Battle (You'll know when this is). There are three special items that are obtained. Give all three of those items to Tanimura before you cross the point of no return.

Trust me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah uh he ain't lyin do that. it'll save you a huge headache if you do that ahead of time.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh. OH.

Also, do everybody's training quests (Akiyama with the dude on the roof, Saejima with the underground tunnels, and Tanimura with the Korean girl) at some point before The Final Battle (You'll know when this is). There are three special items that are obtained. Give all three of those items to Tanimura before you cross the point of no return.

Trust me.

I did the Tanimura fight with no equipment. Whatsoever. :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Caitlin posted:

I did the Tanimura fight with no equipment. Whatsoever. :colbert:

I can only imagine a gigantic full size tattoo immediately sprung itself into existence on your back upon completing this task.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

I can only imagine a gigantic full size tattoo immediately sprung itself into existence on your back upon completing this task.

I WISH. Really it ended up being the antithesis of manly in that it involved me running around in circles to try to pull individuals away from the pack to take them down. Really I just didn't want to take the time to restart and equip him with stuff and watch all the cutscenes over again after I had made it that far through everything without issue. :v:

Figured if I could beat Amon I could handle that. It was rough. I wouldn't really recommend it, I am just a stubborn sort.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I did Tanimura with just the plain ol' equipment I had on him before It was a pain in the rear end, but I don't remember it being murderously bad. I was playing on Easy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I did it with regular equipment by exploiting the invincibility of Tanimura's throw animations. That fight was dumb though.

• Locked thread