Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there an ideal setup for cord cutting? My dad is fully setup with a Plex/usenet setup, but hasn't cut the cord yet. Was thinking just an antenna for local news/sports, keep netflix for convenience, and maybe Sling for... ESPN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

KingKapalone posted:

Is there an ideal setup for cord cutting? My dad is fully setup with a Plex/usenet setup, but hasn't cut the cord yet. Was thinking just an antenna for local news/sports, keep netflix for convenience, and maybe Sling for... ESPN?

Yes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

KingKapalone posted:

That would catch a majority of major sports and news for $20 plus $10 for Netflix. Not too shabby at all.

One thing you could do is have him try it with a free Sling 7 day trial and see if he likes using that and Netflix for his entertainment needs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wish Sling's interface was less poo poo on Roku. Who is the dumbshit that thought it was a good setup vs the standard style channel guide that literally everyone else uses? So dumb.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I wish Sling's interface was less poo poo on Roku. Who is the dumbshit that thought it was a good setup vs the standard style channel guide that literally everyone else uses? So dumb.

Agreed.. It's not the best interface. But it's not just Roku... Sling's interface is the same across all of their platforms. Though on some platforms it is so slow and laggy to be almost unusable. (XBox One is particularly bad)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

stevewm posted:

Agreed.. It's not the best interface. But it's not just Roku... Sling's interface is the same across all of their platforms. Though on some platforms it is so slow and laggy to be almost unusable. (XBox One is particularly bad)

Wow, that's kinda ridiculous. You'd think they'd realize people would use it more if it wasn't a complete chore to see what's on right now live and what's coming up in the next hour or so. Vue does it just fine, and my gf doesn't mind our cut cord setup with that one exception... to the point where she wants to go back to Vue, except we both watch a lot of Comedy Central and the Daily Show, so that's a no go.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sling's UI is better than the Vue on Roku at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Yeah, I know a few people who are complaining about the Vue client on Roku. I think the only reason they released a Roku client initially was because Sling had one.

I mean, the PS Vue on my Android TV looks better than the Roku from what I've seen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

teagone posted:

Absolutely true. The Vue interface on the Roku is horrible.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I forgot about Vue as an option. I guess a follow-up question would be which is best if just viewing off a Windows HTPC? If they have a Plex or Kodi plugin, that would work too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

I forgot about Vue as an option. I guess a follow-up question would be which is best if just viewing off a Windows HTPC? If they have a Plex or Kodi plugin, that would work too.

I think the only PC/Mac "clients" are actually web clients for Sling and Vue. There's no native client (or Kodi plugin) I'm aware of. If it's navigable enough, full-screen web page may work.

If your dad has an "Android TV", both PSVue and Sling are available as apps in Google Play store. I have a 2015 Bravia, and I can confirm the Vue app kind of runs like rear end compared to the PS4 and aTV client, but it works.

Personally, I'm currently using the aTV (4th gen) with Vue, Channels (for HD HomeRun), Netflix and some client I can't remember for Plex. My only issue is there's no native Amazon video client for aTV. I get around it using my iPhone and throwing it to the aTV.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

flosofl posted:

I think the only PC/Mac "clients" are actually web clients for Sling and Vue. There's no native client (or Kodi plugin) I'm aware of. If it's navigable enough, full-screen web page may work.

If your dad has an "Android TV", both PSVue and Sling are available as apps in Google Play store. I have a 2015 Bravia, and I can confirm the Vue app kind of runs like rear end compared to the PS4 and aTV client, but it works.

Personally, I'm currently using the aTV (4th gen) with Vue, Channels (for HD HomeRun), Netflix and some client I can't remember for Plex. My only issue is there's no native Amazon video client for aTV. I get around it using my iPhone and throwing it to the aTV.

Your aTV is just your smart TV then? What's Channels for HD HomeRun?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

Your aTV is just your smart TV then? What's Channels for HD HomeRun?

Sorry. I forget I'm not in the Apple TV thread. Apple TV 4th gen.

Channels is a client app for an HD Home Run. I have the the Connect. You hook an HD antenna to it, and it will stream the TV channels over your local network. It will support two simultaneous streams.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 22, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I have DirecTV, currently paying $81 for 3 TVs, no premiums. This is after a $40 discount after I bitched them out in Feb for jacking up their prices again, so normally it would be $120 with no premiums.

Friend told me about Playstation Vue last night, I was afraid with my lovely 5 to 6 mb connection it wouldnt work well. It worked perfectly! I can get their highest package which has HBO and Showtime for $65 and no contracts, no informercials and it just loving works! The only drawback is no Viacom stuff so no Nick for the kiddo or Comedy Central for Southpark, but I can sacrifice that for the quality and price of what remains.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

I mean, the PS Vue on my Android TV looks better than the Roku from what I've seen.

That solves that, since we only used the PS4 one, which is totally fine.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Wow, that's kinda ridiculous. You'd think they'd realize people would use it more if it wasn't a complete chore to see what's on right now live and what's coming up in the next hour or so. Vue does it just fine, and my gf doesn't mind our cut cord setup with that one exception... to the point where she wants to go back to Vue, except we both watch a lot of Comedy Central and the Daily Show, so that's a no go.

You can thank Tivo and Rovi for at least part of this. Their patent lockdown on grid-style guide interfaces has had the industry in a tizzy for years. Major players, even ones who only superficially use one pay up, smaller players try to work around them.

The patents have been challenged time and again and finally got thrown out at the Federal Appeals court, thanks to Netflix. However this was just a couple months ago so who knows if anyone will start up with grids again. Tivo et. all are still making noise about it because no one ever gives up on lovely patents so time will tell I suppose.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ixian posted:

You can thank Tivo and Rovi for at least part of this. Their patent lockdown on grid-style guide interfaces has had the industry in a tizzy for years. Major players, even ones who only superficially use one pay up, smaller players try to work around them.

The patents have been challenged time and again and finally got thrown out at the Federal Appeals court, thanks to Netflix. However this was just a couple months ago so who knows if anyone will start up with grids again. Tivo et. all are still making noise about it because no one ever gives up on lovely patents so time will tell I suppose.

God because I kind of want to hate generic patents so much but a lot of TiVo's patents are legit.

I don't think people understand how far TiVo really goes back, I bought one (My parents bought me one) within the few few months of coming out, I want to say it was around $1400 in 1999 dollars for like 14 hours of storage and it was loving magic. And it was magic for years.

Sure we take it for granted now but for years until DVRS hit the mainstream TiVos were basically fictitious future technology that people didn't know they could buy even if they could afford them.

TiVo is not a patent troll, they developed and delivered their technology far before their time and somehow managed to hang on long enough to kind of reap their rewards, everyone told them they were nuts for years while they were bleeding money developing features we all take for granted today.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ixian posted:

They already have if the PS4 Vue interface is any indication. If only they'd update everything else to that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Channels app for the AppleTV added a grid guide this month.

Also, I have to cut TiVo a bit of slack. Not only were they way ahead of their time, they also managed to make it through the cable giant to essentially copying their technology nearly wholesale. There's patent trolling and then there's actual protection of stolen IP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

So that's why it changed so drastically and usably.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

God because I kind of want to hate generic patents so much but a lot of TiVo's patents are legit.

I don't think people understand how far TiVo really goes back, I bought one (My parents bought me one) within the few few months of coming out, I want to say it was around $1400 in 1999 dollars for like 14 hours of storage and it was loving magic. And it was magic for years.

Sure we take it for granted now but for years until DVRS hit the mainstream TiVos were basically fictitious future technology that people didn't know they could buy even if they could afford them.

TiVo is not a patent troll, they developed and delivered their technology far before their time and somehow managed to hang on long enough to kind of reap their rewards, everyone told them they were nuts for years while they were bleeding money developing features we all take for granted today.

The patents (5 of them) weren't from Tivo and had no connection with their admittedly pioneering recording technology. Tivo already sued and won over those years ago ("season pass", etc.).

Rovi, which bought Tivo a couple years back, had the guide patents, and they were (are) absurd - completely abstract "do it on a computer" type concepts.

Thwomp posted:

Also, I have to cut TiVo a bit of slack. Not only were they way ahead of their time, they also managed to make it through the cable giant to essentially copying their technology nearly wholesale. There's patent trolling and then there's actual protection of stolen IP.

They did protect their real IP as I mention above. Also Apple had already settled with Tivo/Rovi over the guide which is probably why the grid interface came out recently. I doubt it was the patents being thrown out/invalidated because I believe they are still going to appeal that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Trip Report:

Roku Ultra is awesome and zippy, and the remote is solid. I'm using it via Wireless AC and haven't had any issues with stream quality or buffering at all in anything so far, and the remote's voice searching feature is pretty drat good.

I've never used another Roku to compare it to, so I can't comment on whether or not upgrading is worth it for you based on whatever model, but for $120 it was definitely worth it.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Is there any way to give a Seeso gift subscription? I'm not finding any obvious way to make it happen.

Further, does anyone know which streaming services offer gift subscriptions or codes?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

utonium posted:

Is there any way to give a Seeso gift subscription? I'm not finding any obvious way to make it happen.

Further, does anyone know which streaming services offer gift subscriptions or codes?

You can buy Netflix and Hulu cards at grocery stores.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

utonium posted:

Do they have Amazon Prime? You may be able to gift a sub to them that way. (I have my Seeso sub as an add-on to Prime)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
If my sister wants a device to watch Netflix and maybe Plex on, what should I get her? Fire Stick is on sale for $30 right now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

If my sister wants a device to watch Netflix and maybe Plex on, what should I get her? Fire Stick is on sale for $30 right now.

The Roku Streaming Stick is on sale for $35

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

astral posted:

The Roku Streaming Stick is on sale for $35

Why that over the Fire Stick? Looking at a few comparisons puts the Fire ahead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

KingKapalone posted:

Why that over the Fire Stick? Looking at a few comparisons puts the Fire ahead.

Can't speak of the latest version of the Fire Stick's performance, but the Roku Streaming Stick 3600R is roughly the equivalent of a Roku 2 in terms of power, so it's plenty fast. Netflix loads up quick, Plex navigation is smooth and fast, and it can pass through DTS audio streams no problem.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Roku stick isn't constantly shoving Amazon content in your face.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheScott2K posted:

Nope, just M-GO Fandango Now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah but at least if you have a prime membership a lot of the Amazon content is free instead of just constantly trying to sell you stuff like the Roku.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I have both and trust me Roku all the way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Both suck because they don't allow you to properly setup output settings. SHIELD all the way.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a Chromecast. Mostly used for Plex and Netflix.

Chromecast 2 is $25 this weekend (discount from $35). Should I upgrade? Does it go any faster?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Both suck because they don't allow you to properly setup output settings. SHIELD all the way.

But the shield doesn't do prime streaming :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Horn posted:

But the shield doesn't do prime streaming :(

You can sideload an Amazon app meant for a Sony TV and it will work on the Shield.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

photomikey posted:

I have a Chromecast. Mostly used for Plex and Netflix.

Chromecast 2 is $25 this weekend (discount from $35). Should I upgrade? Does it go any faster?

It's a bit faster, and it supports 5ghz wifi which is cool. I wouldn't upgrade if your 1st gen is working fine. The speed difference is pretty minor when comparing my girlfriends 2nd gen to my first gen.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

You can sideload an Amazon app meant for a Sony TV and it will work on the Shield.

I just tried it and the app didn't seem to respond to my controller aside from the back button. Did I get a bum apk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Horn posted:

I just tried it and the app didn't seem to respond to my controller aside from the back button. Did I get a bum apk?

The one I have is com.amazon.aiv.us_3.11.44-311004410_minAPI21(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk.

It worked the last time I tried it a couple of weeks ago.