Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To speak to the point about imagined nature or expectations of an unmolested version of nature, I generally think this comes from the desire for authenticity.

Which to me is a bit of a fools errand but from my experiences it defines my generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Sethex posted:

To speak to the point about imagined nature or expectations of an unmolested version of nature, I generally think this comes from the desire for authenticity.

Which to me is a bit of a fools errand but from my experiences it defines my generation.

A philosophical problem with environmentalism today is the half-assimilation of "deep ecology", where humanity is supposed to bed imagined as being part of nature, rather than separate from it. The takeaway lesson however tends to warp into some kind of "in harmony with nature" philosophy where humanity must somehow attempt to never, ever have any kind of effect on the natural environment. This attempts to reinsert humanity into the natural environment and be part of it. Problem: this is, in fact, not deep ecology because it still views humanity as somehow separate. To speak of a natural environment is to not only implicitly contrast it with a "human environment", but treat all non-human environments as if they were equal and in harmony with each other. It has long been pointed out that animals and plants alter their environment to better suit themselves and they violently compete with each other for the scarce resources available. It is impossible to speak of a "natural environment" then because it is not one thing. In thier capacity to do so, beavers create a beaver environment, ants and ant environment, pine trees poison the ground with thier needles creating a pine tree environment (one of the reasons why pine forests have shallow soil).

It is perfectly harmonious with deep ecology that humanity creates for itself a human environment defined by our mastery of technology, while leaving anything that need not be disturbed unmolested. We can even deliberately avoiding challenging other living things to their environments when our technology allows us to avoid it (because they'll always lose, hands down).

I quote your post here because many notions of authenticity are wrapped up in notions of nature and purity, concepts that are very much present in the environmental conciousness. "Natural" things are good, "pure" things are good. Nature being defined as "not human" and "pure" defined as "untainted by synthesized chemicals", which itself disregards that synthesized chemicals are generally much purer than naturally derived ones.

So, the desire for authenticity in energy generation tends toward "not human", which is impossible, so that gets mutated to "least human", and "untainted" gets mutated to "simplest to understand". You can see where the environmentalist penchant for wind and solar power comes from, and why nuclear is so vehemently opposed; they are complete opposites using these two criteria.

Let us remember now that the view of humanity as separate from nature is categorically opposed to deep ecology. So in terms of philosophies that view humanity as part of nature, those energy generation methods that disturb non-human environments the least should be considered most environmental and those that disturb it the most, least environmental. Notice that on this criteria, nuclear power becomes most environmental, while wind and solar become ranked somewhere alongside hydroelectric due to the absolutely massive footprint and materials needed.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It might be more palatable to highlight the very last part of that.

Permanently turn a small chunk of the Earth into an unnatural nuclear hellscape (which won't ever leave the confines of the hellscape) in return for leaving the rest of the Earth pristine. No birds struck by wind turbines or cooked by solar collimators, no corals killed by climate change. Just a Mad Max wasteland in a 3 mile radius around our handful of nuclear sites.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

It might be more palatable to highlight the very last part of that.

Permanently turn a small chunk of the Earth into an unnatural nuclear hellscape (which won't ever leave the confines of the hellscape) in return for leaving the rest of the Earth pristine. No birds struck by wind turbines or cooked by solar collimators, no corals killed by climate change. Just a Mad Max wasteland in a 3 mile radius around our handful of nuclear sites.

Except it's cost not "hippies" that are the reason power plant operators don't choose to build nuclear.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Except it's cost not "hippies" that are the reason power plant operators don't choose to build nuclear.

Guess who helps inflating the cost by protesting and delaying projects for decades.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People who make lots of money from fossil fuels?

Politicians who quite like the status quo and see no reason to challenge nuclear power myths if they can use them to win votes?

I don't think "hippies" have ever really been a particularly potent force for getting things done, or stopping things getting done as the case may be. Nuclear power as a big scary thing is certainly convenient but it is the source of the narrative which is responsible more than its adherents.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 3, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Guess who helps inflating the cost by protesting and delaying projects for decades.

Private investors have other reasons to not like it. It's extremely capital intensive with high (practically guaranteed) risk of cost overruns in the construction phase and the possibility of higher operation costs than projected. Add the risk of a perfect storm scenario where your 10-15 bill. reactor is suddenly rendered useless. At the same time you have to deal with unpredictable fossil fuel costs which may price you out at any point in the 40 years you need to recoup your investment while electricity demand is trending down and renewables are reaching parity. It's a lot of uncertainty and risk for a huge investment with a small to moderate return.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
On a vaguely related note. Why is subsidizing one type of energy generation bad. While subsidizing another is good. I see people argue about how nuclear is bad because of how subsidized it is, or solar doesn't work because it's only held up by tax breaks. When in reality pretty much all parts of the energy generation industry receive public help in various ways. And overwhelmingly more in favor of hydrocarbons.

If you are going to have a government subsidize anything. It should probably be whatever the most sustainable source of energy is with the least potential for environmental impacts(i.e. not coal) or economic fluctuations(i.e. not oil). But at the same time a government has to worry about the prices of energy right now to not disrupt the overall economy. That means keeping policy in place for less desirable forms of generation.

So I don't understand the arguments about subsidies being bad for X but not for Y.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

So I don't understand the arguments about subsidies being bad for X but not for Y.

That chart is a bit opaque to me. We have derived most of our energy from fossil fuels so even a tiny subsidy would accrue to huge numbers whereas the opposite is true of marginal sources such as solar. It would be more interesting to see what subsidies amount to per kwh or something like that.

Anyway, if you think CO2 or smog are bad then obviously the state shouldn't subsidize fossil fuels. If you think renewable energy is a conspiracy to usher in a world government then those subsidies are bad. If you don't like subsidies then they are all bad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Where are the details behind that chart? Its pratically meaningless without more information about what each of those categories are and whether or not the y axis is adjusted for inflation.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/08/26/whats-better-a-carbon-tax-or-energy-subsidies/

Anosmoman posted:

Anyway, if you think CO2 or smog are bad then obviously the state shouldn't subsidize fossil fuels. If you think renewable energy is a conspiracy to usher in a world government then those subsidies are bad. If you don't like subsidies then they are all bad.

What if I like a functioning and healthy economy but think that we need to accelerate the transition to cleaner energy as quickly as possible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

People who make lots of money from fossil fuels?

Politicians who quite like the status quo and see no reason to challenge nuclear power myths if they can use them to win votes?

I don't think "hippies" have ever really been a particularly potent force for getting things done, or stopping things getting done as the case may be. Nuclear power as a big scary thing is certainly convenient but it is the source of the narrative which is responsible more than its adherents.

Naturalists and hippies created and spread the nuclear power myths that have been adopted by the average person, thereby influencing popular opinion, which influences elections.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Naturalists and hippies created and spread the nuclear power myths that have been adopted by the average person, thereby influencing popular opinion, which influences elections.

That has nothing to do with why AREVA is loosing tons of money, their plants are behind schedule etc. Politics had nothing to do with the several plants shut down in the U.S. due to operator error (e.g. SONGS)

I think people overestimate the political factors of building a nuclear plant and underestimate the economic factors. In a capitalist world, nuclear is an expensive and risky investment, other power plants are less so.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Trabisnikof posted:

That has nothing to do with why AREVA is loosing tons of money, their plants are behind schedule etc. Politics had nothing to do with the several plants shut down in the U.S. due to operator error (e.g. SONGS)

I think people overestimate the political factors of building a nuclear plant and underestimate the economic factors. In a capitalist world, nuclear is an expensive and risky investment, other power plants are less so.

SONGS was premature equipment fatigue, not operator error. Most nuclear plants have been scuttled by the concurrent events of (1) fracking-related natural gas price drops and (2) fukushima mitigation related upgrades having uncertain expenses and goals (essentially at the ever-changing whims of the NRC).

I'd argue that hippie opposition played a role with Vermont Yankee, but that only served as a minor contributing factor compared to the rise of cheap natural gas turbine power. Hippies are frustrating and can drive a large amount of NIMBY/town-hall type construction halts that lead to incredible cost overruns, but in terms of shuttering existing operating nuke plants? That's economics.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

SONGS was premature equipment fatigue, not operator error. Most nuclear plants have been scuttled by the concurrent events of (1) fracking-related natural gas price drops and (2) fukushima mitigation related upgrades having uncertain expenses and goals (essentially at the ever-changing whims of the NRC).

I'd argue that hippie opposition played a role with Vermont Yankee, but that only served as a minor contributing factor compared to the rise of cheap natural gas turbine power. Hippies are frustrating and can drive a large amount of NIMBY/town-hall type construction halts that lead to incredible cost overruns, but in terms of shuttering existing operating nuke plants? That's economics.

SONGS was shut down because they installed a broken heart exchange, so yes it was "premature" because it was broken (out of alignment). So you can blame the Japanese manufacturers instead if you'd prefer. The result is the same.

Crystal river is another plant shutdown due to loving poo poo up.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm kind of curious to know too how the long-term viability of nuclear are stacking up compared to the potential of things like the molten salt solar tower plants, which seem like they're getting massively cheaper and more efficient almost by the month with very little opposition or downside compared to literally anything else. Heck, is the only reason we don't have a bunch more of them being built is that it's largely under the control and patents of one Spanish company?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boten Anna posted:

I'm kind of curious to know too how the long-term viability of nuclear are stacking up compared to the potential of things like the molten salt solar tower plants, which seem like they're getting massively cheaper and more efficient almost by the month with very little opposition or downside compared to literally anything else. Heck, is the only reason we don't have a bunch more of them being built is that it's largely under the control and patents of one Spanish company?

Not very well, because they have very moderate output for their footprint, and many of them back their operations with natural gas boilers.

And, y'know, that whole need to be exposed to full sunlight, which really only gives them ~6 hours a day peak output.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

That's right, but legal battles and overregulation have both kept the cost of a nuclear power plant higher than they would be otherwise, so the hippies certainly take a share of the blame. No one said they were solely responsible

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The future of solar is in PV, trough consentrators and solar heat.

Ivanpah has thus far been very disappointing and while they've been able to keep the massive bird kills and boiler problems quiet, it seems to me the writing is on the wall for this generation of tower CSP.

In general I'm very optimistic about wind and solar because of the current rate of technological improvement, the side benefits gained from other fields (e.g. blade design) and the vast available high quality sites in the U.S. and world.

However, as even the 80% renewable models show, wind and solar alone aren't enough. So what else do we add to our mix? Personally, I don't care if we decide to invest in the grid and biopower, nuclear, or some natgas sequestration BS that makes GE billions, or just accepting effieiceny and availability changes etc. No matter what happens in the long term, the more wind and solar we online now the less-worse it can be later.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

[...] birds struck by wind turbines [...]

Environmental impact of wind power § Birds (Wikipedia).

Could we drop this myth now, please?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Right after we drop the myth of nuclear plants = nuclear bombs.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

computer parts posted:

Huh? I don't think anyone in this thread seriously suggested that "nuclear plants = nuclear bombs"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Are you really disputing that proliferation is a risk for many reactor designs?

Not every reactor is a CANDU.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

CombatInformatiker posted:

Huh? I don't think anyone in this thread seriously suggested that "nuclear plants = nuclear bombs"?

Trabisnikof posted:

Are you really disputing that proliferation is a risk for many reactor designs?

Not every reactor is a CANDU.
Hi have you met?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

Hi have you met?

Do you seriously get how "proliferation is a risk for many reactor designs" does not equal "nuclear plants = nuclear bombs"?

We actually use nuclear power plants to generate the material to build nuclear weapons. Is that a risk for all designs? No. Is it a risk that is easily mitigated? Yes. Does it exist? Yes.

I don't get how ideology can blind people so completely to reality....

edit: if someone is freaking out about how if we build more nuclear plants we'll start a nuclear war, you should explain why that'll never happen because of all the safeguards, the IAEA, and how nuclear war is kinda passé anyway.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 3, 2015

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Trabisnikof posted:

We actually use nuclear power plants to generate the material to build nuclear weapons. Is that a risk for all designs? No. Is it a risk that is easily mitigated? Yes. Does it exist? Yes.

It's actually a risk for only a very small number of designs, and not at all for reactors intended for electrical production.

To produce plutonium-239 (the nuclear bomb type) you need to neutron irradiate uranium-238 for short periods of time. The goal is to make each uranium atom capture one neutron and transmutate into plutonium-239. The difficulty is that plutonium-239 is capable of capturing a second neutron and changing to plutonium-240, which is a poison for nuclear bombs; it fissions too fast and causes what's called "pre-detonation" or a nuclear "fizzle". It's suspected that this occurred to one of North Korea's nuclear tests where the seismic signal of the explosion was much larger than what a conventional explosion could cause, but much smaller than you would expect of even a small nuclear bomb.

In a light water reactor, the pressure vessel is typically loaded with fuel and then bolted closed, remaining closed for a number of years before the next scheduled service and fuelling outage. In this length of time quite a lot of plutonium is created from the u-238, but a far too high percent of it is pu-240 to be useful in nuclear bombs. Given there's only one neutron difference between them, separation of pu-240 from pu-239 is a technical feat that's so difficult not even the United States bothers to do it. They're researching it right now, but they've not really found an effective way to do it on a viable scale.

The best and only real way to create pu-239 for bombs is to have a purpose built reactor and irradiate u-238 for precisely controlled lengths of time, which is exactly how every nuclear nation who has made their own pu-239 has gotten it. It's all been made in research reactors.

Theoretically, it could be done with a reactor that does on-power refuelling, but this would be immediately obvious to any observer who would just have to stand there and notice them constantly cycling fuel in and out of one particular fuel channel.

It is also possible to make nuclear bombs out of u-235, but this requires high enrichment (which is the concern with Iran's nuclear enrichment program), but this fear can be mitigated by selling fuel to whoever we don't trust to make it themselves and pre-poisoning it with pu-240, so it will work just fine in reactors, but if they try to use it for bombs they'll run into the same problem the US has yet to solve. Note, I'm not advocating selling fuel to assholes, just that if we need to, it can be done in a way to mitigate the proliferation risk.

edit: chemical symbol for plutonium is pu, not p. :downs:

ductonius fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 3, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ductonius posted:

It's actually a risk for only a very small number of designs, and not at all for reactors intended for electrical production.

To produce plutonium-239 (the nuclear bomb type) you need to neutron irradiate uranium-238 for short periods of time. The goal is to make each uranium atom capture one neutron and transmutate into plutonium-239. The difficulty is that plutonium-239 is capable of capturing a second neutron and changing to plutonium-240, which is a poison for nuclear bombs; it fissions too fast and causes what's called "pre-detonation" or a nuclear "fizzle". It's suspected that this occurred to one of North Korea's nuclear tests where the seismic signal of the explosion was much larger than what a conventional explosion could cause, but much smaller than you would expect of even a small nuclear bomb.

In a light water reactor, the pressure vessel is typically loaded with fuel and then bolted closed, remaining closed for a number of years before the next scheduled service and fuelling outage. In this length of time quite a lot of plutonium is created from the u-238, but a far too high percent of it is p-240 to be useful in nuclear bombs. Given there's only one neutron difference between them, separation of p-240 from p-239 is a technical feat that's so difficult not even the United States bothers to do it. They're researching it right now, but they've not really found an effective way to do it on a viable scale.

The best and only real way to create p-239 for bombs is to have a purpose built reactor and irradiate u-238 for precisely controlled lengths of time, which is exactly how every nuclear nation who has made their own p-239 has gotten it. It's all been made in research reactors.

Theoretically, it could be done with a reactor that does on-power refuelling, but this would be immediately obvious to any observer who would just have to stand there and notice them constantly cycling fuel in and out of one particular fuel channel.

It is also possible to make nuclear bombs out of u-235, but this requires high enrichment (which is the concern with Iran's nuclear enrichment program), but this fear can be mitigated by selling fuel to whoever we don't trust to make it themselves and pre-poisoning it with p-240, so it will work just fine in reactors, but if they try to use it for bombs they'll run into the same problem the US has yet to solve. Note, I'm not advocating selling fuel to assholes, just that if we need to, it can be done in a way to mitigate the proliferation risk.

That's a great explanation of how the current administrative and technological controls makes it a rather easily controlled and very limited risk.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Trabisnikof: I was mostly joking. The timing of comments between you and CI was too good to pass up. Ductonius' explanation was pretty cool. Proliferation has been a subject I've studied and forgotten so many times I don't think it'll ever stick.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It looks like there's finally some good info on how Ivanpah is doing, and somehow I just found out Ivanpah doesn't use molten salt to keep generating overnight, that's a really weird oversight/design decision. Apparently BrightSource is coming to include it in their newer plants, if anyone contracts them to build any, but I remember reading about how that was part of the design of these kinds of plants years ago so I'm not sure what's up there. I also didn't know that they used natural gas to get it going in the morning which I thought was odd, as you'd think there's a lot you could do with a bunch of super hot sunlight.

The thing does seem to be a bit of a bird frier, but that seems an overstatement, killing 100-300 birds a month sounds gruesome but, I mean, there's a lot of birds out there and the plants are pretty big to the point where the bird mortality rate on the area of the plant is greater than 0 even without a bunch of mirrors on it.

It seems the larger issue is that PV is plummeting in price even at utility grade. I feel like I'm missing something for why PV is suddenly plummeting in price and rising in efficiency; it can't all just be subsidies. I was rather surprised to find out that in the process of getting solar panels on my house that the drat things seem like they can generate about as much electricity as we use in a month, and we use quite a bit over here.

I was also promised PV roofing/siding material that was already cheap and 5 minutes away from mass production a few years ago, what the hell happened to that poo poo?

Regardless, it seems like from my admittedly limited point of view since we can't get nuclear to go anywhere and pretty much every other source of energy is dirty or has huge drawbacks, and infrastructure spending in general is just hosed and will be for the foreseeable near future, we're going to end up with PV everywhere from local to utility, coupled with battery banks (and ultracapacitors if we can ever figure out how to manufacture graphene) to smooth out the uneven generation curve.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 3, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

It seems the larger issue is that PV is plummeting in price even at utility grade. I feel like I'm missing something for why PV is suddenly plummeting in price and rising in efficiency; it can't all just be subsidies. I was rather surprised to find out that in the process of getting solar panels on my house that the drat things seem like they can generate about as much electricity as we use in a month, and we use quite a bit over here.

Swanson's law. The real answer is economies of scale, the learning curve and a technology that haven't quite plateaued yet, One thing out of left field that dropped prices a good bit a few years back was reduction in installation costs.

Solar PV is kinda interesting in that it messes with the business models of established fossil fuel plants. Output peaks at the time of day when demand is high so sometimes it can drive electricity cost way down and suddenly your peaker plant isn't making much money. You still need those plants of course but they're more expensive to run which creates an incentive for more people to put up solar PV and around it goes. Penetration isn't high enough for us to really see how it will play out yet but at some point down the line utilities in some of the sunnier states will start moaning about it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Anosmoman posted:

Swanson's law. The real answer is economies of scale, the learning curve and a technology that haven't quite plateaued yet, One thing out of left field that dropped prices a good bit a few years back was reduction in installation costs.

Solar PV is kinda interesting in that it messes with the business models of established fossil fuel plants. Output peaks at the time of day when demand is high so sometimes it can drive electricity cost way down and suddenly your peaker plant isn't making much money. You still need those plants of course but they're more expensive to run which creates an incentive for more people to put up solar PV and around it goes. Penetration isn't high enough for us to really see how it will play out yet but at some point down the line utilities in some of the sunnier states will start moaning about it.

Yeah this last part is a little bit more of what I'm worried about. From the perspective of "hey let's do things efficiently and not cook the planet" it seems like getting local residential/commercial solar power going is great, and that the utilities should be stepping in to upgrade their infrastructure to work more as a broker than a way to distribute centrally generated electricity. However this shift in business model, and likely the necessary reliance on public money (I know I'd rather pay taxes for a well-maintained brokering infrastructure than pay a for-profit electric bill but I'm also not a tax hawk rear end in a top hat, not to mention subsidizing widespread PV installation) is the kind of thing that will be kicked against by tax hawks and those with a controlling interest in power generation and profits thereof, even though "sit around with thumbs up asses doing nothing" is the worst possible option.

This does lead me to question, what are the environmental impacts of manufacturing PVs? Do they use materials, chemicals, or chemical processes that have a large aggregate impact? Are they recyclable when they wear out? Do they really wear out in the first place?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah this last part is a little bit more of what I'm worried about. From the perspective of "hey let's do things efficiently and not cook the planet" it seems like getting local residential/commercial solar power going is great, and that the utilities should be stepping in to upgrade their infrastructure to work more as a broker than a way to distribute centrally generated electricity. However this shift in business model, and likely the necessary reliance on public money (I know I'd rather pay taxes for a well-maintained brokering infrastructure than pay a for-profit electric bill but I'm also not a tax hawk rear end in a top hat, not to mention subsidizing widespread PV installation) is the kind of thing that will be kicked against by tax hawks and those with a controlling interest in power generation and profits thereof, even though "sit around with thumbs up asses doing nothing" is the worst possible option.

In California they've just announced they're changing the way the price of electricity gets calculated to help cover the costs of infrastructure that low electricity users (and solar owners) weren't paying their fair share. So things like that and requiring solar users to buy at retail and sell at wholesale helps too.

quote:

This does lead me to question, what are the environmental impacts of manufacturing PVs? Do they use materials, chemicals, or chemical processes that have a large aggregate impact? Are they recyclable when they wear out? Do they really wear out in the first place?

I'm not an expert but I know PV construction is not good for the environment, however I think most of thee studies out there show its still better than continued fossil fuel use.

I don't think they're that recyclable but idk and they do slowly lose effectiveness but the newer ones are way better than the old ones about it.

Here's a random Good Company report that's probably got better cites than I do: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/OIPP/docs/solar_panel_lifecycle.pdf

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

In California they've just announced they're changing the way the price of electricity gets calculated to help cover the costs of infrastructure that low electricity users (and solar owners) weren't paying their fair share. So things like that and requiring solar users to buy at retail and sell at wholesale helps too.

The California rate changes were a big "gently caress you" to conservationists and solar power users of all kinds. Considering the kind of environmental issues California is currently facing, it was a completely tone deaf decision that doesn't raise any additional funding (most users will pay less) but encourages the wasteful users to keep ignoring their resource usage. Our financial needs for infrastructure are very real, but it is clear that we need to approach solutions with conservation in mind. The alternative is unsustainable - not only because of the environmental damage, but because spurring usage also spurs the need for ever more infrastructure. The loss of consumption disincentives - whether they be electricity taxes, gasoline taxes, etc. - is uniformly a step in the wrong direction.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not an expert but I know PV construction is not good for the environment, however I think most of thee studies out there show its still better than continued fossil fuel use.

I don't think they're that recyclable but idk and they do slowly lose effectiveness but the newer ones are way better than the old ones about it.

Here's a random Good Company report that's probably got better cites than I do: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/OIPP/docs/solar_panel_lifecycle.pdf

As much as it's personally impactful, paying a chunk of money every month for access to the grid/brokering regardless of usage while having panels plugged into the grid does seem fair. The current grid needs a lot of improvements, not to mention ongoing maintenance as it is, so whether it's taxes or a charge for accessing the grid's services, we'll have to chip in to that somehow. However, the wholesale prices seem a bit of a rip from what I've seen (I swear I saw $0.01/kwh once) but a lot of those figures are negotiated behind closed doors or bandied about as a threat to end net metering (which in practice basically means selling excess solar energy at retail) agreements. I'm not sure the wholesale thing is entirely fair at this time, as reducing peak demand is a pretty huge boon to the grid and centralized generation, and deserves time of use consideration that it's generally not.

A lot of the problems seem to be only-the-next-quarter-matters thinking, where it'd be quite an investment and shift in infrastructure to upgrade grids as more efficient broker systems and maybe even incentivize installations themselves (and maybe even install small PV farms themselves for reliability as to not rely entirely on the customer base) that won't pay off until expensive peak generators can be tuned down and decommissioned. This will be a big payoff, but it will take years of development and cost eating as well and shifts in a hundred year old business model, which are the things that modern private business are categorically godawful at.

It looks like according to that report, the biggest environmental impact is the manufacture of the support brackets and steel borders and such. While the PV cells themselves aren't saints, whether they can be processed for recycling is just something that we don't have enough dumped recent-gen solar panels to look at seriously. They cite this blog entry (http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/solar-industry-creates-scheme-to-recycle-solar-panels-in-europe.html) that claims it takes 1/3 of the energy to make a solar panel from a recycled one based off of units that have been replaced due to flaws or damage, which makes sense. While I suppose there are drawbacks, this does make me wonder why PV roofing and siding hasn't taken off yet as it's much cheaper than manufactured panels. What I don't see on that report though is if PV cell manufacture uses any materials or chemical processes that are particularly rare or high-impact.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boten Anna posted:

This does lead me to question, what are the environmental impacts of manufacturing PVs? Do they use materials, chemicals, or chemical processes that have a large aggregate impact?

Yeah, if someone could actually provide a good answer to this question, I'd be pretty interested. Multiple people in this thread have asserted that solar cells are really terrible for the environment, but when asked to support their claim, they don't come back with anything substantial.

I think the only objections so far have been that solar modules may have lead-tin solder in them to make connections in the wiring of the module. Lead-tin solder doesn't have to be used in the assembly of the cell. Another objection was that one of the chemical byproducts in the purification of silicon is apparently bad. I asked for a comparison of the hazard of the byproducts with those of other manufacturing processes, you know, so that you could meaningfully say whether it is so bad or not, and I did not hear back.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boten Anna posted:

What I don't see on that report though is if PV cell manufacture uses any materials or chemical processes that are particularly rare or high-impact.

Most solar cells are silicon, and use manufacturing techniques that were adopted from the silicon integrated circuit industry. So the techniques aren't as common as those used to smelt aluminum or whatever, but it isn't like they were invented in some research lab 10 years ago.

What is important in the synthesis of the silicon solar cell material is the chemical and structural purity of the silicon, and much effort goes into the purification. Electronics-grade silicon may be the purest material known to man. Solar cell silicon doesn't need to go through that much purification, but it is quite pure when compared to most other materials or chemicals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, if someone could actually provide a good answer to this question, I'd be pretty interested. Multiple people in this thread have asserted that solar cells are really terrible for the environment, but when asked to support their claim, they don't come back with anything substantial.

I think the only objections so far have been that solar modules may have lead-tin solder in them to make connections in the wiring of the module. Lead-tin solder doesn't have to be used in the assembly of the cell. Another objection was that one of the chemical byproducts in the purification of silicon is apparently bad. I asked for a comparison of the hazard of the byproducts with those of other manufacturing processes, you know, so that you could meaningfully say whether it is so bad or not, and I did not hear back.

Here's an in depth rating of solar cell manufacturers: http://www.solarscorecard.com/2014/2014-SVTC-Solar-Scorecard.pdf

And about recyclability:

quote:

Most PV modules sold in Europe are covered by a pre- funded Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) scheme to ensure safe and responsible disposal. No PV modules in the USA come with EPR. Three PV manufacturers (Trina, Yingli, and Up Solar) have written letters to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) seeking action on EPR for PV modules in the USA. Over the past three SVTC surveys, 14 companies have said they would support public policy for an EPR scheme for PV modules.
A total of 23 companies include some information about PV recycling on their websites, in varying depth and de- tail. Most companies have logos or links to PV Cycle for European customers. Only one PV manufacturer (First Solar) explains to all customers how to recycle end- of-life PV modules. For other companies, if recycling options were described, it was for European customers.

quote:

Twelve companies manufacture PV modules with amounts of cadmium or lead below regulatory thresh- olds set by the European Union, the world’s most strin- gent standard. This means that the maximum concentra- tion found in any homogenous material that makes up these PV modules is less than 0.01% for cadmium and 0.10% or less for lead.

Zero companies can provide documentation to verify that their supply chains do not contain conflict minerals based on the due diligence guidelines set by the OECD. Twelve companies are engaged in or have started the process of due diligence to determine if conflict miner- als are present in their supply chains..

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

What's actually in PVs besides a lot of silicon? Like what kinds of metals or chemicals are used at the business end of the device, where it actually converts sunlight into electricity?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

What's actually in PVs besides a lot of silicon? Like what kinds of metals or chemicals are used at the business end of the device, where it actually converts sunlight into electricity?

This website has a ton of info: http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/manufacturing/screen-printed

But basically, most of the nasty stuff is process based (chemical etching) rather than a part of the final product

quote:

Phosphorous Diffusion
Screen-printed solar cells typically use a simple homogeneous diffusion to form the emitter where the doping is the same beneath the metal contacts and between the fingers. To maintain low contact resistance, a high surface concentration of phosphorous is required below the screen-printed contact. However, the high surface concentration of phosphorous produces a "dead layer" that reduces the cell blue response. Newer cell designs can contact shallower emitters, thus improving the cell blue response. Selective emitters with higher doping below the metal contacts have also been proposed
Wafers cut from a single crystal of silicon (monocrystalline material) are easily textured to reduce reflection by etching pyramids on the wafer surface with a chemical solution.
isotropic chemical etching based on defects rather than crystal orientation [6];
isotropic chemical etching in combination with a photolithographic mask [7], [8];
Antireflection coatings are particularly beneficial for multicrystalline material that cannot be easily textured. Two common antireflection coatings are titanium dioxide (TiO2) and silicon nitride (SiNx). The coatings are applied through simple techniques like spraying or chemical vapour deposition. I
A full aluminium layer printed on the rear on the cell, with subsequent alloying through firing, produces a back surface field (BSF) and improves the cell bulk through gettering. However, the aluminium is expensive and a second print of Al/Ag is required for solderable contact. In most production, the rear contact is simply made using a Al/Ag grid printed in a single step.
Screen-printing has been used on a variety of substrates. The simplicity of the sequence makes screen-printing ideal for poorer quality substrates such as multicrystalline material as well as CZ. The general trend is to move to larger size substrates - up to 15 x 15 cm2 for multicrystalline materials and wafers as thin as 200 µm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Here's an in depth rating of solar cell manufacturers: http://www.solarscorecard.com/2014/2014-SVTC-Solar-Scorecard.pdf

That doesn't mean much to me. It's just a comparison between different solar cell manufacturers and doesn't get into specifics. It doesn't really answer the question of whether solar cell manufacturing creates a lot of pollution.

Boten Anna posted:

In the solar cell, it is mostly silicon, and it is the silicon in which the sunlight -> electricity conversion takes place. Dopants like boron and phosphorous aid in the extraction of generated electricity in the cell from the silicon and into the wires--however, only small portions (maybe 1/100 - to 1/1000) of the silicon cell by volume are doped to "high" concentrations (high here meaning 1 boron or phosphorus atom per 100-1000 silicon atoms. So, 1/10^4 - 1/10^6 of the cell itself is boron or phosphorus.

We use metal wires to carry the electricity out of the cell, and these are made with aluminum, copper, or silver and are deposited on top and on the back of the silicon. Silver was used historically because it enabled simpler manufacturing than aluminum or copper. Also used are layers of dielectrics, various oxides and nitrides deposited on top of the cell, which are engineered to help the solar cell collect, and not reflect, incoming sunlight.