Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I don't know how people use so much data in a month without streaming stuff all day, but the new plans will still end up saving me $20 a month. I'm presently on the 15gb plan with two phones (off-contract) and after a 23% discount it's about 120 a month, so that'll go down to about 100 even with the extra $5/line charge. Neither phone goes over 3-4gb a month so there should always be about 12-14 after rollover. The previous issue was the gap between the 5 and 15gb plans being too large with nothing in between.

It definitely brings everything more in line with T-Mobile in particular (thanks to them for putting pressure on everyone else, at least) with considerably better coverage on the whole, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

triple sulk posted:

I don't know how people use so much data in a month without streaming stuff all day, but the new plans will still end up saving me $20 a month. I'm presently on the 15gb plan with two phones (off-contract) and after a 23% discount it's about 120 a month, so that'll go down to about 100 even with the extra $5/line charge. Neither phone goes over 3-4gb a month so there should always be about 12-14 after rollover. The previous issue was the gap between the 5 and 15gb plans being too large with nothing in between.

It definitely brings everything more in line with T-Mobile in particular (thanks to them for putting pressure on everyone else, at least) with considerably better coverage on the whole, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

I don't, I probably average about 6, hit 11 a few times a year, the old plans jumped from 5GB which was not enough and then jumped to 15GB. Actually I think it was 5GB, 10GB when I switched which I would occasionally go over and then they bumped it up to 15. Then AT&T upgraded a bunch of their customers to the 20GB plan for the same price as the 15GB plan so now I have 20 GB. But I'm fine with paying for 20GB, the price is reasonable for me and since I roll over at least 10 GB every month I almost always have at least 30GB sitting in my account which means for me it is effectively unlimited data. If I want to stream a movie on my tablet when there is no WiFi, gently caress, who gives a poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use around 6-7 GB and switched to the 15 GB plan awhile ago. Looks like I'll be switching down to a 10 GB plan. Even the 16 GB plan would save me $5 per month.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
These new tiers are loving trash and I'm switching to T-Mobile in September.

If you're going to lower prices just loving lower the prices, not hand it off to the line charge instead.

I have a 100$ 15gb plan with 3 lines for a total of 145$ a month. Now it's 90 + 3*20 for a new monthly cost INCREASE of 5$. gently caress you ATT.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

These new tiers are loving trash and I'm switching to T-Mobile in September.

If you're going to lower prices just loving lower the prices, not hand it off to the line charge instead.

I have a 100$ 15gb plan with 3 lines for a total of 145$ a month. Now it's 90 + 3*20 for a new monthly cost INCREASE of 5$. gently caress you ATT.

You don't have to switch to the new plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

You don't have to switch to the new plans.

But then he can't yell about it on the internet.

But yeah, the plans are underwhelming, and basically a combo of copying TMobile and Verizon. At least they copied the $135 30GB plan, that's a really good rate.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 18, 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's almost new iPhone season, and I saw AT&T just changed their plans again, so I thought I'd do a quick gut check.

I haven't consciously changed my plan since the original iPhone came out in 2007. I pay just over $80/mo. for unlimited data (but no tethering) and 1000 texts on a single line. Historically I've averaged about 3-6Gb of data usage per month.

1. I assume that the plans are in no way an improvement over my current situation?
2. What's up with Next/the iPhone Upgrade Program? I'd like to switch from my current "upgrade every 2 years" plan to an annual upgrade plan. If I go with a Next plan will I be able to keep my current wireless plan? Can I do Apple's program instead?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

It's almost new iPhone season, and I saw AT&T just changed their plans again, so I thought I'd do a quick gut check.

I haven't consciously changed my plan since the original iPhone came out in 2007. I pay just over $80/mo. for unlimited data (but no tethering) and 1000 texts on a single line. Historically I've averaged about 3-6Gb of data usage per month.

1. I assume that the plans are in no way an improvement over my current situation?
2. What's up with Next/the iPhone Upgrade Program? I'd like to switch from my current "upgrade every 2 years" plan to an annual upgrade plan. If I go with a Next plan will I be able to keep my current wireless plan? Can I do Apple's program instead?

Yeah your plan is still better, especially if you get a work discount.

ATT doesn't do two year upgrades anymore, so I'm glad you aren't looking for that!

Basically, one way or the other you have to get phone on installment plan. So phones are like, $27 a month over 24 months. That equals $650 for the phone. But they'll offer where at month 12, you can trade in your iPhone for the next iPhone, restarting your payment plan.

So essentially, you pay about $27-30 a month to upgrade every year.

I would stop by both ATT and apple and just see if the prices are the same. ATT used to charge higher monthly to upgrade every year, but I'm not sure if they still do.

And to reconfirm: you keep your plan, it's just that ATT no longer offers the discounted two year contract phone you used to get with your plan. So your plan is adding on the monthly payment of phone regardless of what you do.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah your plan is still better, especially if you get a work discount.

ATT doesn't do two year upgrades anymore, so I'm glad you aren't looking for that!

Basically, one way or the other you have to get phone on installment plan. So phones are like, $27 a month over 24 months. That equals $650 for the phone. But they'll offer where at month 12, you can trade in your iPhone for the next iPhone, restarting your payment plan.

So essentially, you pay about $27-30 a month to upgrade every year.

I would stop by both ATT and apple and just see if the prices are the same. ATT used to charge higher monthly to upgrade every year, but I'm not sure if they still do.

And to reconfirm: you keep your plan, it's just that ATT no longer offers the discounted two year contract phone you used to get with your plan. So your plan is adding on the monthly payment of phone regardless of what you do.

Mostly right.

If you have a company discount, it will continue no matter which way you go. Most of the old "company plan" discounts were converted to a percentage discount (usually on both service and accessories, but if you are at a high value company this can extend into handsets also) several years ago.

1) If you go to the Next plan, you lose your current wireless plan. The old world way: The cheap phone upgrades every two years were subsidized by you paying a larger monthly rate for cell service. The new world way: The service rate and the handset rate are paid separately - but are generally the same pricing-wise as they were in the old world, you just have the option to pull your 1998 RAZR from a drawer, slap a SIM in and not pay the handset subsidy. That is the only way they are better than your current pricing is if you don't get a new phone.

Note: It's the same price to buy a phone outright as it is to pay it off over the Next plans. So if you see an iPhone 6s+ (or whatever) for $250, get it and save yourself some money over the long run.

2) Next has two tiers: 12(16) months and 18(20) months. On the 12 month tier, you pay the phone completely off in 16 months, which means you can keep it. But if you want to upgrade after 12 months, you can. On the 18 month tier, you pay the phone off completely in 20 months, which means you can keep it. The 12 month plans are obviously more expensive and some of the flagship bling bling phones can be up to $45 per month.

The actual plans are pretty much unlimited calls and text with a data limit. All of the plans I have seen also have one month of data roll over, so if you get a 10GB plan and don't use more than 5GB in one month, the next month you'll have 10+5GB to use. (The roll over is one month only, you lose it if you don't use it after that.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

Mostly right.

If you have a company discount, it will continue no matter which way you go. Most of the old "company plan" discounts were converted to a percentage discount (usually on both service and accessories, but if you are at a high value company this can extend into handsets also) several years ago.

1) If you go to the Next plan, you lose your current wireless plan. The old world way: The cheap phone upgrades every two years were subsidized by you paying a larger monthly rate for cell service. The new world way: The service rate and the handset rate are paid separately - but are generally the same pricing-wise as they were in the old world, you just have the option to pull your 1998 RAZR from a drawer, slap a SIM in and not pay the handset subsidy. That is the only way they are better than your current pricing is if you don't get a new phone.

Note: It's the same price to buy a phone outright as it is to pay it off over the Next plans. So if you see an iPhone 6s+ (or whatever) for $250, get it and save yourself some money over the long run.

2) Next has two tiers: 12(16) months and 18(20) months. On the 12 month tier, you pay the phone completely off in 16 months, which means you can keep it. But if you want to upgrade after 12 months, you can. On the 18 month tier, you pay the phone off completely in 20 months, which means you can keep it. The 12 month plans are obviously more expensive and some of the flagship bling bling phones can be up to $45 per month.

The actual plans are pretty much unlimited calls and text with a data limit. All of the plans I have seen also have one month of data roll over, so if you get a 10GB plan and don't use more than 5GB in one month, the next month you'll have 10+5GB to use. (The roll over is one month only, you lose it if you don't use it after that.)

So ATT isn't allowing Next plans on the old unlimited data plans anymore?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

They forced me to switch off to get a Next phone last year.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can you keep the old plan if you go through the Apple Upgrade Program?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Apple just confirms you have a plan with one of the four major carriers, so...probably?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Arsten posted:

The 12 month plans are obviously more expensive and some of the flagship bling bling phones can be up to $45 per month.

That said, Samsung and others are gaming the system. I bought by S6 Edge+ on NEXT, $900+ loan on the phone, something around $45 a month.

BUT, when I bought the phone they gave me a $200 gift card and then another $50 gift card for signing up for Samsung Pay. And then a free wireless charger, free battery pack (High capacity and quick charge)and free pair of nice headphones, the ebay value of which was at least $150.

So when I trade this phone in after 12 months I will have paid $540 and not counting the accessories gotten $250 back which brings the payment down to $24 a month which is pretty reasonable to replace the phone every year with one of the most expensive phones that AT&T sells (sold).

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Three Olives posted:

That said, Samsung and others are gaming the system. I bought by S6 Edge+ on NEXT, $900+ loan on the phone, something around $45 a month.

BUT, when I bought the phone they gave me a $200 gift card and then another $50 gift card for signing up for Samsung Pay. And then a free wireless charger, free battery pack (High capacity and quick charge)and free pair of nice headphones, the ebay value of which was at least $150.

So when I trade this phone in after 12 months I will have paid $540 and not counting the accessories gotten $250 back which brings the payment down to $24 a month which is pretty reasonable to replace the phone every year with one of the most expensive phones that AT&T sells (sold).

That's a pretty good set of deals.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

There is no way you have to get off an unlimited plan. If anyone tells you otherwise they are wrong. If you don't want to be hassled, do your NEXT upgrade at Apple.

There are now just two NEXT Plans: Every Year and Next.

Every Year: Over 24 months, upgrade on the 12th month
Next: Over 30 months, upgrade on the 24th month

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I got the double data promotion from a few years back. So I have 30gb (15gb doubled for 100). If I go to a new plan, so I get the data doubled?

That'd be the only real value for it.

$ 90 - six lines @ $15 a line
$100 - base plan 30GB
$-30 - FAN Discount

And then a couple of payment plans for next, but those aren't effected.

So for 160, I get ton of service. We typically use 15-20GB's a month. So I don't see any value in the new plans, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I got the double data promotion from a few years back. So I have 30gb (15gb doubled for 100). If I go to a new plan, so I get the data doubled?

That'd be the only real value for it.

$ 90 - six lines @ $15 a line
$100 - base plan 30GB
$-30 - FAN Discount

And then a couple of payment plans for next, but those aren't effected.

So for 160, I get ton of service. We typically use 15-20GB's a month. So I don't see any value in the new plans, right?

No, the new plan is a base of $135 for 30GB, and $20 a line. Your plan is $100 for 30GB, and $15 a line. Your current plan will def be better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

No, the new plan is a base of $135 for 30GB, and $20 a line. Your plan is $100 for 30GB, and $15 a line. Your current plan will def be better.

My base plan is actually 15GB@$100, but I got the double data a couple years back, so it's 30GB. If they honored the double data, then maybe 16GB at $90. or 32GB with double could be worth it. But if it changes to $20 a line, then

120 - 6 lines at 20
90 - 16gb doubled to 32gb
- 30 - fan
180 total.

Nope, that's more for only 2GB extra. Noooooope.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My base plan is actually 15GB@$100, but I got the double data a couple years back, so it's 30GB. If they honored the double data, then maybe 16GB at $90. or 32GB with double could be worth it. But if it changes to $20 a line, then

120 - 6 lines at 20
90 - 16gb doubled to 32gb
- 30 - fan
180 total.

Nope, that's more for only 2GB extra. Noooooope.

Yeah and for the record they'll never be like "oh you have double data on your current plan, we'll just move you to the new plan and give you double data for that plan!" So you're hanging out on your current plan for a while.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I switched to the new plan. Went from 15 GB to 10 GB, which is a much better fit for my needs (7 GB is a high but not uncommon use month), so I end up saving $17 with my FAN discount, which is nice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does AT&T have a retentions center or something to give deals? Cause I have 3 lines for $140 / 4GB (incl. tax) and somebody I know has 5 lines on Cricket for $100, including tax.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Does AT&T have a retentions center or something to give deals? Cause I have 3 lines for $140 / 4GB (incl. tax) and somebody I know has 5 lines on Cricket for $100, including tax.

"Hey ATT, if you don't give me a discount, I'm going to go to your prepaid brand and continue to pay you money."

Post paid contract plans are still just more expensive than prepaid. It's likely always that way because too many customers are in willing to pay $650 plus $40 service plans upfront. So unfortunately you are in the minority.

Anyway, feel free to call customer service and ask. But overall, price check, find what works for you, and go for that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't really want to go through the hassle but I don't want to pay that much :( Hehe

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I am thinking of joining ATT. I currently have Directv. I see thy are doing a promo for a free IPhone 7 if you have Directv. Is there a limit? Can I bring over mine and my wife's number from T-Mobile and get 2 iPhone 7 for free?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone know exactly what's up with free Canadian roaming? I see the option to enable Mexico in the AT&T app, but info on Canada online is pretty contradictory. I'm on a 3 line 15GB family share plan, am I eligible to get that?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I just called in and asked for the 'Canada Roaming Bonus' and they knew what I was talking about. I'm on a pretty basic plan too, so I'm guessing they'll give it to you as long as the agent knows how to activate it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

helsabot posted:

I just called in and asked for the 'Canada Roaming Bonus' and they knew what I was talking about. I'm on a pretty basic plan too, so I'm guessing they'll give it to you as long as the agent knows how to activate it.

Did you have to talk to retentions? I tried this earlier today and got shot down because I'm not a special flower on the unlimited plan.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Maneki Neko posted:

Did you have to talk to retentions? I tried this earlier today and got shot down because I'm not a special flower on the unlimited plan.

I actually don't remember...but I'm not on the unlimited plan either. I'd say just call back until you get a friendly agent

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I still have an old unlimited plan (22gb). Can you still transfer that to other people? I'm switching to Verizon with my wife.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Didn't see this covered in the last couple of pages:

On a family plan, two iPhones with grandfathered unlimited and then two more dumbphones. My mom really needs a new phone but doesn't need a dataplan, are there any decent dumbphones that I can buy and put her sim in without getting a data plan tacked on? I have been getting her pantech phones but it would be nice if there was something higher quality.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Hey, so I am taking care of this kid from an old friend back home, and I added him to my AT&T family plan; and he's using up like 2GB a day.. I've talked to him, but he won't say anything, and he's not my kid, and I owe my friend a lot.. I just want to know what the hell he's doing that takes up so much data, so I can see my options here..

I suspect facetime with gf from back home(foreign country), or porn. The usage is especially heavy in the morning, when he's driving to class, like 1g worth.. I've read that that is about 5hrs of facetime, so I don't think that is it?

I just wanna know, if it's movies or something, I can set up some sync or some poo poo while at home, or use wifi for porn god drat.

Smart Limit or whatever does nothing; and I don't want to limit him. I already got the highest data tier plan outside of the direct tv poo poo. Just get him one of those Cricket unlimited plan or something?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IMO just cut off his data if he's not owning up to it. Data is not a basic human right.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Deal with this before you end up in r/relationship thread being mocked. Shut off his data.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sounds like he's streaming youtube stuff at 4k. Tell him your going to limit him to a sane amount of data, like 4 gigs a month.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Yeah, i've had to cut him off twice already.. I just wanted to k ow what exactly he does every morning to waste 1+g.

I wonder if he knows his 4k is on if that is the case..

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Femur posted:

The usage is especially heavy in the morning, when he's driving to class, like 1g worth

grimcreaper posted:

Sounds like he's streaming youtube stuff at 4k. Tell him your going to limit him to a sane amount of data, like 4 gigs a month.

He's driving while watching Youtube? Why don't you start dealing with that first?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He's driving while watching Youtube? Why don't you start dealing with that first?

Lots of people listen to music on YouTube. Not watch it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How old is this kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I often use youtube for music streaming when I'm on wifi. Not a far stretch to imagine someone thinking it's ok to do on 4g or whatever.