Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Welp, guess I'll have to assemble an EVO bot after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I hope the +1B to ARO program doesn't work on Total Reaction remotes, as that can make for some rather fearsome turtling. I wish there was a program to enhance remotes in other ways, though, such as granting the ability to Cautious Move for the turn, or let one go prone. It wouldn't be that hard to explian, as the hacker could just enhance a remote's routines directly or take direct control to make it act more...human-like.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cyclomatic posted:

If anyone wants to drive themselves nuts, it looks like part of the new hacking chart is flashed in the Infinity 3rd edition video in the latest Beasts of War weekender.

Also, apparently there will be some sort of brand new resource called "command tokens" that you can have up to 4 of them normally.

I saw this post and immediately blurted "holy poo poo!" out loud.

Sephyr posted:

I hope the +1B to ARO program doesn't work on Total Reaction remotes, as that can make for some rather fearsome turtling. I wish there was a program to enhance remotes in other ways, though, such as granting the ability to Cautious Move for the turn, or let one go prone. It wouldn't be that hard to explian, as the hacker could just enhance a remote's routines directly or take direct control to make it act more...human-like.

Frankly, I don't think it'll be a problem. TR remotes have rubbish BS values compared to dedicated offensive pieces, so while they're obnoxious they're not even that hard to take down in a straight up fight (which is where they're supposed to be strongest).

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 4, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Cyclomatic posted:

I like that it looks like BTS is going to be hacking armor, with hacking attacks following the damage and burst mechanics. Feels very unified and clear.

Infowar: Oblivion having an effect called isolation makes me hope it is something cool like cutting a model off from the order pool.

The Supportware that lets you give REMs +1B in ARO is cool. Instead of it being a hacker tax if you want to take a REM, it will hopefully be that you want to take a hacker if you take REMs. I'm sure there will be other Supportware.

The different programs really gives them room to differentiate the hacks from each other.

Finally, a use for all those Dakini! :getin:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I've got 2 people that have shown some interest in Infinity.

I'm thinking about trying to get them to play a demo game against each other. I'm thinking of giving them each a link team (because link teams are cool and head off the 'just cheer leaders' issue). Then giving them a few models that do 'cool' things.

One of them has said they think TO camo ninjas are cool, so this would be their list.

JAPANESE SECTORIAL ARMY
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 8 0 0

KEISOTSU Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 9)
KEISOTSU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)
KEISOTSU Combi Rifle+ Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 14)
KEISOTSU Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (12)
KEISOTSU Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (9)
KEMPEI Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (17)
ONIWABAN Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (44)
DOMARU Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Pistol, EXP CCW. (29)

3 SWC | 152 Points

Open with Army 4

I'm thinking about giving the other one a Gecko since TAGs are cool, and it gives the monofilament CCW a possible target.

JURISDICTIONAL COMMAND OF CORREGIDOR
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 7 0 0

ALGUACIL Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 10)
ALGUACIL Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
GECKO Mk12, Chain-colt, Blitzen / . (1.5 | 55)
GECKO PILOT Pistol, Knife.
INTRUDER Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower, Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (36)

3 SWC | 153 Points

Open with Army 4

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I know when I learned, Cheerleaders were a lot easier of a concept than link teams. I and OB_juan haven't even tried that yet.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Links are rough to learn with - As someone who runs intro activity for Infinity weekly, unlucky AROs can be the most unfortunate thing for a new player to encounter, as it can be quite demoralizing and typically in such a small game they've rambo'd their favourite looking dude and lost him as a result. A link pumping out B2 AROs seems doubly dangerous for this reason.

Also they said Ninjas are cool but the list has no Ninja in it :v:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

The actual ninja models look like poo poo at this point.

Resculpted ninjas to go with the CC improvements in N3 would be super nice.

As for AROs, we play WM/H so I don't think anyone is going to be a crybaby about a 'whelp' factor like a boosted hand canon shot or a warcaster buring to death. I think seeing actual kills happen in ARO might be a good thing for the combo-breaker factor that sets it apart from WM/H. One of the players and I have gotten into Malifaux and I think we really like that the alternating activations mean that you don't get to just do whatever the gently caress you want to with your entire army before you have to deal with any blow-back. AROs are similar, in that while they get to go with their entire order pool they've still got to respect the potential to get shot in the face with ever order they spend.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

I've got 2 people that have shown some interest in Infinity.

I'm thinking about trying to get them to play a demo game against each other. I'm thinking of giving them each a link team (because link teams are cool and head off the 'just cheer leaders' issue). Then giving them a few models that do 'cool' things.

One of them has said they think TO camo ninjas are cool, so this would be their list.

I'm thinking about giving the other one a Gecko since TAGs are cool, and it gives the monofilament CCW a possible target
I have a few problems with that:

- Your lists are over 150 points. Not a problem if you don't show the cost on the lists, but don't teach newbies that going over the points limit is acceptable, they'd only get harshly corrected later on.

- You may be vastly overestimating what should go into a demo game. I made similar lists (I'll post those at the end) and fell back on the tried "3 combi grunts, 1 HMG grunt, 1 multi HI" because the order/reaction system itself takes a bit of getting used to. Once they stop flailing around trying to learn where their limbs are, they can proceed to the tricks like camo.

- Ramboing TAGs are something that can be an instant and complete turn-off for the new opponent.

- So are mono weapons on TO/Impersonating units. The idea that something can start right next to your precious TAG, approach it with impunity and first-strike it with a ~40% chance of instakilling your most expensive units is something that leads many people to cry imba because they have absolutely no idea how to prevent this at this stage.

For reference, here are my lists. They are 150pt/3swc, 6 regular orders, and not featuring the biggest offenders. I've tried to vary the stregth by giving heavy weapons to weak grunts so there's no single optimal choice, with mixed results.

JSA: Domaru chain LT, Keisotsu combi, Keisotsu HMG, Aragoto BS, Karakuri combi, Ninja combi/shock CCW
JSA2: 3 Keisotsu combi, Kempeitai COC, Karakuri mk12, Aragoto spitfire, Aragoto combi LT
Yu Jing: 2 Zhanshi combi (1 is LT), Zhanshi HMG, Shang-Ji combi/LFT,Guilang combi minelayer, Tiger combi, Shaolin Monk chain
ISS: CG combi LT, CGLSGLKSCD, Father Sforza, Su Jian, Wu Ming BS, Kuang Shi chain
Nomads: Interventor LT, Alguacil combi, Alguacil HMG, Intruder combi, Stempler Zond, Tsyklon spitfire

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Forgive my ignorance, but I want to make sure I have this right.

Multi-shot face-to-face question:

Lets say that a basic infantry unit with a combi rifle (Nomad Alguacil) fires at a remote with Total Reaction and an HMG (Aleph Zayin Rebot). The Zayin shoots back in ARO, resulting in a face-to-face roll. The units are 12 inches apart, giving both a +3.

The Alguacil has BS 11 + 3 = 14, and makes three rolls. The Zayin has BS 11 + 3 = 14 as well, and makes 4 rolls.

Scenario 1:
Alguacil rolls: 19, 3, 10 - Two hits {3, 10}
Zayin rolls: 15, 13, 9, 6 - Three hits {6, 9, 13}

My understanding is that in this case, the Zayin wins the face to face because the 13 is higher than the 10 so the Alguacil gets hit. The Alguacil only has to make one ARM check though because the Zayin's other rolls are lower than the Alguacil's highest roll. Is that correct?

Scenarios 2 and 3:
Lets now assume that the units are 18 inches apart, giving the Alguacil a -3 and the Zayin a +3. Now the Alguacil target number is 8 while the Zayin's remains at 14.

Scenario 2:
Alguacil rolls: 19, 3, 8 - Two hits {3, 8}, the 8 is a critical
Zayin rolls: 13, 12, 11, 10 - Four hits {10, 11, 12, 13}

My understanding here is that even though the Zayin scored 4 hits, all higher than the Alguacil's roll, the Alguacil still wins the face to face because of the critical success. The Zayin takes an automatic wound, but the 3 is ignored because it is lower than the Zayin's hits.

Scenario 3:
Alguacil rolls: 19, 3, 8 - Two hits {3, 8}, the 8 is a critical
Zayin rolls: 7, 12, 13, 14 - Four hits {7, 12, 13, 14}, the 14 is a critical

This time around since the Zayin scored a higher critical than the Alguacil, it wins the face to face. Three of its rolls are higher than the Alguacil's rolls, one being a critical. The Alguacil takes one automatic wound and must make two ARM checks.

EDIT: Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

armorer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
All correct.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
Mostly correct, but I think in the last example the "8" crit should negate everything but the "14" critical hit of the zayin.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
... Damnit, you're right.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
They don't sell auxbots by themselves do they? Icestorm nomads would make some decent proxies for Auxilia and a 2nd Guarda but then I'm missing all the auxbots for them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Doctors Inc posted:

Mostly correct, but I think in the last example the "8" crit should negate everything but the "14" critical hit of the zayin.

Ah! Ok that is an important distinction. Thanks!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cyclomatic posted:

On the subject of TAGs, I'm a bit confused about the "stingray" TAGs for PanO.
How can that confuse you? Stingrays are legit terrifying, just ask Steve Irwin :v:

In other news, I'm moving to Perth (Western Australia) in a little under 3 weeks so if any goons are in the area and up for a game, I'll be down. I need to learn to be less bad at Infinity anyway, and to start with I'll be branching out into vanilla PanO instead of staying pigeon-holed into MO. I mean, I love my Australian Templars but I just can't seem to win games with them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have another question: When using something with both Sensor and Forward Observer (like a Nomad Meteor Zond), does it take one short skill or two to mark a unit outside of LoF (but within Sensor range)?

Edit: Also, I really don't understand what Cube does, because it all talks about "campaigns". I assume these are discussed in the Campaign Paradiso book, but I haven't read it. Can someone give me a short, newbie friendly, description of what Cube is?

armorer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 8, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

armorer posted:

Edit: Also, I really don't understand what Cube does, because it all talks about "campaigns". I assume these are discussed in the Campaign Paradiso book, but I haven't read it. Can someone give me a short, newbie friendly, description of what Cube is?

Cube is nothing but a detriment outside of campaign.

Outside of Campaign Mode, all a Cube means is that you can be Sepsitored by the Combined Army. That's it. There is no benefit.

In Campaign, it means that if a 'named' character dies, if they have a cube, they can be recovered for future play. If you gently caress up the post-game doctor roll, then the post-game cube roll, the character is out of the campaign for good.

Exception is ALEPH. They always pass cube rolls, except when playing against CA, where they always fail.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Anybody playing in Melbourne, Australia? I have a ASA force but haven't played a single game. Finally looking to jump in.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011

armorer posted:

I have another question: When using something with both Sensor and Forward Observer (like a Nomad Meteor Zond), does it take one short skill or two to mark a unit outside of LoF (but within Sensor range)?

If the enemy unit is a model, a single short skill is enough to mark it. If its a e.g. camouflage marker, you need to use the sensor first and uncover the model before you can mark it, like always (Line of sight or not).

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sorry to keep peppering the list with questions, but I am playing this game (using paper proxy cut outs for everything, on a table with stacked books for terrain) with a friend who also hadn't played it before. I'm at his place this week, and we don't have a local game store around here to ask these questions. In a week I'll be back home where my local shop has an Infinity night and I can ask them this stuff. It is kind of funny because I've made custom laser cut/etched acrylic markers for Infinity for that shop, and read over the rules many times, but hadn't actually played it until the other day.

My question this time is a player-knowledge information related question about units deployed under camo markers. The rules state that you can have up to three units under a single camo marker, and they can remain under a single camo marker and move around. That is pretty cool, but given that you have to declare your orders won't your opponent know how many units are there once you move them? Also if you lay a mine, it is initially deployed as a camo marker. If you have a camo unit deploy a mine, do you need to put down a marker for it? Or can it be covered by the same existing marker until that unit moves?

I suppose I could do something like have two units under a camo marker, have one deploy a mine, then have the two units move off leaving a camo marker behind. This would be cool if my opponent didn't know if the left behind marker was a unit or a mine, but as far a I can tell there's no way for that to happen. Since I have to declare my orders, don't I effectively have to say "this guy is setting a mine here"?

In a similar vein, as I understand it when I play a (tournament) game some third party has to check that my list is valid up front. But then at the table I don't have to tell my opponent anything about what I am using besides what the models are that I deploy during deployment?. If I deploy several troops in camo, I don't have to tell them what those troops are, and if I hold back troops for an airdrop or have units on the table in TO Camo, they don't get to know that. Do I have to tell them what weapons each unit is armed with and who my hackers are? Or is that secret knowledge until it comes time to shoot / hack?

If I play the same list against the same people often enough, it will lose a lot of its surprise since they'll already know what is missing from the table.

It seems like a studious opponent with a lot of time on their hands could do well at tournament play by memorizing the point costs of popular configurations for a variety of armies. I don't think I would consider that "fun", but it could certainly help with the meta game if you faced an opponent with a lot of camo markers or something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

armorer posted:

given that you have to declare your orders won't your opponent know how many units are there once you move them?
Yes, multi-model markers are almost useless once moved (the exception being the Antipode pack because they use only 1 order anyway)

quote:

If you have a camo unit deploy a mine, do you need to put down a marker for it? Or can it be covered by the same existing marker until that unit moves?
1. the unit reveals when placing a mine, 2. mines cannot hide under the same camo marker as something else, it's only for models.

quote:

In a similar vein, as I understand it when I play a (tournament) game some third party has to check that my list is valid up front. But then at the table I don't have to tell my opponent anything about what I am using besides what the models are that I deploy during deployment?. If I deploy several troops in camo, I don't have to tell them what those troops are, and if I hold back troops for an airdrop or have units on the table in TO Camo, they don't get to know that. Do I have to tell them what weapons each unit is armed with and who my hackers are? Or is that secret knowledge until it comes time to shoot / hack?
Print out a complete (non-hidden) list from the official "Infinity Army" app. The opponent knows everything that's written there for every unit that's present on the table as a miniature and not a marker. So, stats, weapons (including how much ammo - mines, PF rockets etc. you have left), skills, equipment, also which combat group the model's in. What he DOESN'T know is the cost and SWC (mostly because sometimes it gives away who your LT is).

Everything that's under camo/TO camo/impersonation markers or off-table (ADHD) is secret.

quote:

If I play the same list against the same people often enough, it will lose a lot of its surprise since they'll already know what is missing from the table.
That's when you switch AD units for TO units or vice versa. Or play Shasvastii, they're tailor-made to troll and mindfuck opponents.

quote:

It seems like a studious opponent with a lot of time on their hands could do well at tournament play by memorizing the point costs of popular configurations for a variety of armies. I don't think I would consider that "fun", but it could certainly help with the meta game if you faced an opponent with a lot of camo markers or something.
That doesn't even take a lot of time, just experience. I can see how many points are missing down to ~10.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

Anybody playing in Melbourne, Australia? I have a ASA force but haven't played a single game. Finally looking to jump in.

Yeah, absolutely.

I mostly play with a friend in Mind Games in the CBD every Friday (though that'll be on break for a while since I'll be in Canberra during the week for work),but was planning to get in more weekend games since I can't do that anymore.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

I run the aforementioned small gaming niche at Mind Games in the CBD. I recommend posting on our FB page saying you're Single Infinity Wargamer, Looking for Long Walks on the ARO Beach and Low-Vis Dinners.

https://www.facebook.com/MindGamesMelb

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

They don't sell auxbots by themselves do they? Icestorm nomads would make some decent proxies for Auxilia and a 2nd Guarda but then I'm missing all the auxbots for them.

They sure don't. There's 3 ways to get auxbots: Auxilia, Guarda, Peacemaker Armbots. I'd love an auxbot blister myself; there's an Order Sergeant loadout with one that I've never tried.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Just back from a long trip and am definitely going to play some Infinity in the next week or so! I read just now on the infinity official forum that the pre-order date for N3 is Oct 13 (monday). loving excited, definitely pre-ordering to get that mercenary model. Wonder if we'll have the books by december?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

WAR FOOT posted:

I run the aforementioned small gaming niche at Mind Games in the CBD. I recommend posting on our FB page saying you're Single Infinity Wargamer, Looking for Long Walks on the ARO Beach and Low-Vis Dinners.

https://www.facebook.com/MindGamesMelb

I took your friendly advice, thanks.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Dope. If you come in of a Friday/Saturday I'll be the one behind the counter upstairs.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone play this in Calgary? sort of the only issue with this game for me right now...

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Heyyyyyyyyyyy if you were the guy posting about introductory games, I can't run them today, on account of I left my figure case with all my models in it on the tram. Sooooooooo yeah. I'm probably in the market for more Infinity models.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

I left my figure case with all my models in it on the tram.
It didn't have your contact info somewhere?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pierzak posted:

It didn't have your contact info somewhere?

Nope, because I'm a muppet. I literally have contact info tags sitting on my desk gathering dust because I never got around to attaching them.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Oh Jesus, that loving sucks.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like something someone would nick off with, so there's some hope yet.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Hortism posted:

Oh Jesus, that loving sucks.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like something someone would nick off with, so there's some hope yet.

I'm hoping it gets turned in. The entire ALEPH Range, the entire Bakunin range, the CSU, Reverend Healer, Gogo Marlene and Miranda Ashcroft, all gone.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm hoping it gets turned in. The entire ALEPH Range, the entire Bakunin range, the CSU, Reverend Healer, Gogo Marlene and Miranda Ashcroft, all gone.

Wait, that was a BIG case without tags? I always stick a tape with my phone # on anything bigger than a small Infinity box.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Wait, that was a BIG case without tags? I always stick a tape with my phone # on anything bigger than a small Infinity box.

Yes, it is a very expensive way to learn this lesson.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

N3 is up for pre-order on the warstore and some other sites now.

quote:

N3 Book info:

Full color books.
Estimated number of pages: Background: 180 pages; Rules: 275 pages
Binding: Soft cover with flaps. Both books are content in a case.

All N3 books reserved during the reserve period will include the exclusive "Authorized Bounty Hunter" miniature that will never be available for retail sale.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I was going to wait and order through my FLGS for stuff, but they just order through Warstore anyway, so I'm just going to not bother this time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, soft cover "with flaps", whatever that is supposed to mean (I'm afraid it will be a separate thin cover like in the artbook, i.e. the second worst way to bind a basic rulebook*.)
In a case they won't fit into after covering them in plastic.
With ugly covers and an ugly preorder exclusive mini.

At 60€ MSRP.

Riiiiiiiight.

What the gently caress, CB. :doh:

My stance has shifted to somewhere between "maybe if I get a large unexpected sum of money" and "nuh-uh, no way".

* The worst rulebook is Warmahordes paperback mini-rulebook that's good in theory but falls apart and decays as soon as you look at it wrong.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What is the price at the warstore?

E: $65, why is it at the bottom of the page? Grrrrr....

• Locked thread