Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Try having a kid or two in figure skating. Holy poo poo that loving pie slice in reports, and constantly red number in the budget line item. :smith:

My Daughter was in gymnastics. Two days a week and competitions :( I found a place that was way less then the other's but it was still a huge number.

On a side note. Kind of annoyed with Bank of America. I have all my cards (chase/capital one etc) set up to autopay. I've had no problem with claiming the rewards to the card. usually they just deduct the reward from the autopay. However, BoA didn't subtract the reward, so now I'm sitting with a positive balance on that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Re: auto import chat.

I’ve been using YNAB with auto import for the past couple years. Mostly just waiting for transactions to post automatically, but I’d occasionally do a manual entry of a large purchase if I want an immediate view of how it affects my available balances. It was all fine and dandy until Capital One decided 2FA is a requirement for every time a 3rd party app connects.

Anyway recently I’ve moved countries and so I’ve started fresh with a new budget and only been using manual entries since YNAB doesn’t integrate with the banks here. It’s actually been a nice process so far. I just spend a couple minutes each morning entering any transactions from the day before, and I find it helpful that it forces me to look at and think about every transaction after the fact.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Jato posted:

Re: auto import chat. [...] I’ve started fresh with a new budget and only been using manual entries

I've only been doing this for a few days again, but it was entirely how I'd been running YNAB4 about 5 years ago when it was working really well for me. Just like slipping back into old habits, manual entry is clearly how I do best. That and I also have CapitalOne, which doesn't play well with YNAB4 anymore, apparently.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

nwin posted:

Holy gently caress. I hope my son does swimming or something. Trunks and goggles aren’t expensive at least.

Hate to break it to ya ...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

so what do i do if there isnt enough jobs for the cash

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Make more jobs. Savings. Emergency fund. Education fund. Investments.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

HardDiskD posted:

Budget more for candles, obv

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

Make a category for Guns. That will clear up any extra cash rather quickly.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

HardDiskD posted:

In my opinion the first bonus job should be Next Month, which contains the total amount of money you might need for the entire next month, which means you are not living paycheck to paycheck.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Hello, YNAB thread. I have been using YNAB 4 since *checks Dropbox* July 1, 2014 (!) and have made two fresh starts after hiatuses, most recently on Dec. 29, 2018. I intend to keep using it as long as I can keep the software running.

Here's my problem. From July - September 2019, I went on a traveling spree, which had two effects: a big red negative number on the "Travel Fund" budget category, and an outstanding balance on a credit card that I had previously been paying off every month. Since then, my method of dealing with this was to continue budgeting each paycheck as it came in, and after all the essential categories had been budgeted for, whatever my "Available to Budget" number was, that was what I entered in my "Travel Fund" budget category, thus making that number 0 and giving every dollar a job. That was how I figured out how much I could afford to pay toward that credit card balance.

It wasn't until a few months later that I realized that I was doing it wrong: the balance of that "Travel Fund" budget category was going up, when I knew perfectly well all that money had actually gone to Chase. I reviewed the YNAB '4 Rules' page, and was reminded that what YNAB wants you to do is 'roll with the punches:' move money that had been budgeted for another category into the category with the big red negative number. For me, the most logical category to move it from would be "Emergency Fund," but I don't wanna. It's an instance of bad planning that I brought on myself, not an unexpected, beyond-my-control emergency.

TL;DR: I spent too much on trips and need advice on YNAB'ing my way back out of debt.

1) In YNAB 4, you can choose whether to subtract overspending from the next month's "Available to Budget" (this is the default, and is what I have been doing) or subtract it from next month's category balance (so that category continues to be a negative number until paid off, just like the credit card balance). Arguments for/against each option, in this situation?
2) I want to use YNAB to help me figure out exactly how many dollars I can give the job of 'pay down outstanding credit card balance.' That balance isn't pre-YNAB debt, since I incurred it while (ab)using YNAB. Would the best solution be to give that balance its own budget line item? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Just because you are taking from an emergency fund doesn't mean you had an emergency. Your emergency fund has money because you put it there, but now you went ahead and spent more money than you had somewhere else. Roll with the punches means adjusting your budget when your budget failed.

So now you have to make things right, and that travel money has to come from somewhere. So where? Well you can take it all from emergency, or half there, half from your discretionary funds for this month, or cancel subscriptions, whatever - this is the point of ynab because you can see what has to be sacrificed when you don't have a plan. It's not all bad though, next time you know better and won't have to do this.

But don't try to get clever and borrow from the next month or whatever, if you had an emergency right now, you don't have what you think you have because your balances are wrong. So make them right, today, and you'll know what your true financial situation is.

As for your debt, sure you can make a temporary category to allocate money to. It doesn't matter whether it was pre or post ynab debt, it's debt you have today so your budget has to deal with it today.

FateFree fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 16, 2020

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
^Thanks, that was the kick in the pants I needed.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

PurpleButterfly posted:

^Thanks, that was the kick in the pants I needed.

Sure, just remember you are doing this for you and you'll benefit only if you are honest. So many people are bad with money because they trick themselves or hide the truth when they don't want to deal with it. Don't be like them! You are on the right path, stick with it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I recall YNAB being very manual last I used it (early 2017), to the point that I was constantly going into the app and meticulously entering receipts and poo poo, and using it along with a credit card was kind of a pain. Has the app gotten more automated in any way recently?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I recall YNAB being very manual last I used it (early 2017), to the point that I was constantly going into the app and meticulously entering receipts and poo poo, and using it along with a credit card was kind of a pain. Has the app gotten more automated in any way recently?

I'll get people in this thread telling me that I'm using it wrong because I use it differently than them, but new YNAB has auto import and I use that almost exclusively

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll get people in this thread telling me that I'm using it wrong because I use it differently than them, but new YNAB has auto import and I use that almost exclusively

auto import + it remembers/guesses categories automatically based on past selections. It owns bones come at me thread

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Could I put YNAB down as a business expense for taxes or no way?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Annabel Pee posted:

Could I put YNAB down as a business expense for taxes or no way?

I do, and I do use it for both of my side businesses. I actually use it as an inventory tracker for a product based business, I just removed the dollar sign prefix so my categories represent bins of physical items rather than money. If I sell an item for example I add a transaction and remove it from whatever bin (category) it's in. And when I restock I just deposit more items into the bins. Works surprisingly great actually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Slimy Hog posted:

El Mero Mero posted:

auto import + it remembers/guesses categories automatically based on past selections. It owns bones come at me thread

What does auto import mean in this case? It calls out to my bank and logs every transaction made? Did they ever come out with an ios app?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

What does auto import mean in this case? It calls out to my bank and logs every transaction made? Did they ever come out with an ios app?

Yes and yes

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The auto import has been broken for my credit union for a few weeks now and I hate it. YNAB is working on it and hopefully it gets fixed soon.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

The auto import has been broken for my credit union for a few weeks now and I hate it. YNAB is working on it and hopefully it gets fixed soon.

USAA has dual authentication that it can't work through, American Express rarely updates. Auto import is kinda dead to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:woop: Hot drat I guess I should get it again. Wish the Steam version was still valid.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

FateFree posted:

As for your debt, sure you can make a temporary category to allocate money to. It doesn't matter whether it was pre or post ynab debt, it's debt you have today so your budget has to deal with it today.

After some experimenting yesterday, I figured out that on YNAB Classic, I could get the "counting back up to 0 from a big red negative number" effect back in place by categorizing transactions as "Pre-YNAB Debt : Chase CC." That adds them to the negative amount in that category. ... Which would have been extremely helpful if I had figured that out back during that big traveling spree. Trying to go back and recategorize those transactions 6+ months later just created an even more confusing mess. I'm opting for the handy "Make a Fresh Start..." figure so I can get a clearer picture of the situation. :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh yeah, another thing about YNAB that annoyed me when I last used it. I had to set up the budget for each month individually, even though I know that going forward I want to set up $X for rent, $Y for utilities, $Z for IRA, etc. regardless of what month it is. I had to do that manually 12 times in a row, which was annoying. Did it ever start letting you do that for a whole year at least?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Oh yeah, another thing about YNAB that annoyed me when I last used it. I had to set up the budget for each month individually, even though I know that going forward I want to set up $X for rent, $Y for utilities, $Z for IRA, etc. regardless of what month it is. I had to do that manually 12 times in a row, which was annoying. Did it ever start letting you do that for a whole year at least?

There’s quick budget buttons that let you fill in all your categories for a month with what you used last month. These also existed in YNAB4.

I feel like all your questions would be answered if you used the app for 5 minutes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

App costs money and I'm cheap. I'd rather get my answers up front before I buy it again.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

App costs money and I'm cheap. I'd rather get my answers up front before I buy it again.

Google YNAB 3 month free trail. Your welcome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DrNewton posted:

Google YNAB 3 month free trail. Your welcome.

Looks like it's only 34 days now, but I didn't know about this. Yay! I'll try it out and see if I can wrap my head around it again.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Do the tutorials and videos. It seriously explains everything

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Looks like it's only 34 days now, but I didn't know about this. Yay! I'll try it out and see if I can wrap my head around it again.

https://investorjunkie.com/promotions/ynab/

this one is 2 months. Google use to give you a link to a blog which than gave you a link to ynab and three months were free. I guess they asked the blog to take it down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Do the tutorials and videos. It seriously explains everything

Sure, I'll take a look. It's still kind of odd to see the balance in the red, since I moved most of my money out of BoFA checking account to elsewhere.

I recall YNAB working kind of oddly with credit cards, since if I budgeted $50 for Takeout for a month, and I charged $43 to my credit card for takeout in a month, I'd have ended up budgeting twice - one for my prediction/maximum, and one for my actual use. I recall getting confused and frustrated every few months and resetting my balance because nothing would end up making sense, or the numbers wouldn't add up. YNAB ended up being one of the reasons I became hesitant to use my credit card. I hope I'll be able to figure it out this time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, you shouldn’t really be budgeting out 12 months of rent unless you have the money for 12 months of rent right now, at this very moment. You only budget the money you have on hand.

You can, however, set up a group of fixed/monthly expenses and then copy the entire group of categories over when you’re ready to budget for the next month.
This is how 99% of my budgeting in YNAB works.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So...I shouldn't set aside money until I've already made the expenses? Doesn't that result in easily spending more money than you should in some particular case?

Actually, nevermind. I'll just watch the tutorial videos.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Don’t set money aside until you actually have the money in your possession.
I get paid on the 15tg and the 30th, all that money goes to next months budget. I don’t have the money to budget for two months out so I won’t start setting aside money for rent in June or whatever until May.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The proper way to do what you mentioned, if you have 12x months rent on hand today, would to put all twelve months into the Rent category today and let the rent come out of it each month without budgeting each month for it. It'd just draw the balance down.

Unless your strategy is to ALWAYS have 12 months rent in the category, then you'd budget 12 months today, and then 1 months rent each month going forward. You shouldn't be budgeting out farther than the current month. The real value of YNAB is shifting your money from forecasting and deliberately providing a job to ONLY the dollars that you have today. If you're short, you budget less somewhere. If you're heavy, then you have options such as funding a goal, building cushion in rainy day funds, etc.

The tutorials are really great and if you don't end up using the tools I bet you'll find value in them for general budgeting knowledge and perspective.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

TraderStav posted:

You shouldn't be budgeting out farther than the current month.

A good post all around, but I would like to clarify that it's okay for income from the current month to budget for the following month, if you have enough cash that the current month is already 100% paid for.

Would not recommend budgeting further out then next month though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

drive me nuts to school posted:

A good post all around, but I would like to clarify that it's okay for income from the current month to budget for the following month, if you have enough cash that the current month is already 100% paid for.

Would not recommend budgeting further out then next month though.

Very much agree once current month is fully budgeted. Thanks for clarifying it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how YNAB implements credit cards. When you get a transaction that goes to your card, does that mean I have to add funds to both the credit card AND the category? It also for some reason thinks I still have a -$308.47 balance on it even though I already paid it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how YNAB implements credit cards. When you get a transaction that goes to your card, does that mean I have to add funds to both the credit card AND the category? It also for some reason thinks I still have a -$308.47 balance on it even though I already paid it off.

Do you carry a balance month to month?
If not, just set up a new account for it as Checking, then move all the transactions from the CC account to your new CC account that YNAB thinks is a checking account. Save yourself the headache of trying to figure it out.