Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I personally think it would be a bit neat if there were HRE-like institutions for numerous regions - the British and Iberian Leagues, the...Seljuk places since that's the only name for them I remember maybe the Turkic Poly-Caliphate or something with a less lame name, and possibly that kind of apparatus for vassal states of ours that are less in our control - the Pechenegs and others like them. I wonder if that kind of thing with numerous HREs is even possible, or how glitchy it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Raserys posted:

On one hand, I doubt the Ming have had any lasting impression on Austrian identity aside from perhaps bolstering it.

On the other hand, Chinese Austria :allears:

Austria is led by a Hui culture ruler. It was formed out the various little Hui-led revolter states that emerged after the Ming Frontier holdings in Germany fell apart (I didn't catch exactly when the Austria tag appeared-- it was very late in CK2, but I assume one of the Hui dukes inherited/annexed/whatever the provinces he needed to make d_austria his title).

Gyra_Solune posted:

I personally think it would be a bit neat if there were HRE-like institutions for numerous regions - the British and Iberian Leagues, the...Seljuk places since that's the only name for them I remember maybe the Turkic Poly-Caliphate or something with a less lame name, and possibly that kind of apparatus for vassal states of ours that are less in our control - the Pechenegs and others like them. I wonder if that kind of thing with numerous HREs is even possible, or how glitchy it would be.

As far as I know (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), there can only be one organization that uses the HRE mechanics. The actual HRE is so diminished in CK2 that I'll probably use the HRE mechanics for something else (maybe even us, depending on what options win out in the "What to do about the Doukes" question), but unfortunately I'm pretty sure there can't be more than one running around.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 27, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Considering culture conversion in CK2 always works a little wonky, will the spots where the Hui are revert back to relevant European cultures or will they be mixing pot culture?

EDIT: Example: I think all the Georgians are all gone, replaced by Persians or Greeks except in Abhzakia.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ROME: 55

Funky Valentine
Skyfinder
Gnooble
Lord Cyrahzax
BwenGun
Sparq
AJ_Impy
StrifeHira
Raserys
ZearothK
Fox Ironic
Flesnolk
Dux Supremus
theblastizard
mcclay
ChaosSamusX
Ghetto Prince
WeaponGradeSadness
Disproportionation
TheLoquid
LJN92
Alikchi
Amnistar
Arbite
RZApublican
NewMars
Readingaccount
Semquais
sniper4625
Samuel
Ubern00b
GenHavoc
YF-23
Freudian
Horsebanger
Alexey
ThingOne
Jihad Joe
MacRomanGuy
derkaiser
Inkel
luserus
ThatBasqueGuy
FluffyBunny
Dr. Snark
Sokani
Pseudophile
fullTimeLurker
Emprah
Necroskowitz
Mister Olympus
Azzanadra
tatankatonk
shirunei
Lord Windy

BYZANTIUM: 48

Blackunknown
Aeromancia
ChrisAsmadi
Sinner Sandwich
Ghostwoods
Patter Song
Pyroi
AdventFalls
TheFlyingLlama
TheMcD
OddObserver
GoatLord
Frozen_flame
Dr karma
Redeye Flight
Rubix Squid
Luhood
Sindai
DerLeo
Lost Season
Adept Nightingale
Dreamsicle
Mirdini
Rejected Fate
Caustic Soda
ManicMarine
cokerpilot
D3m3
Beerdeer
UrbicaMortis
sheep-dodger
Lynneth
Meinberg
Talas
Averrences
Five
Erwin the German
nothing to seehere
vyelkin
Zikan
Mortuus
Geshtal
Hitlers Gay Secret
WilliamAnderson
NGDBSS
Clayren
DentedLamp
MarsDragon

BYZANROME????:

Choccy Starfish

Amnistar posted:

Is there an upload of the save file just prior to the game over that we can look through to get a better idea of the current status of things?

In addition to running on the old version of CK2, a lot of it depended on various hacky edits made to an old version of Project Balance, so I'd feel weird about distributing somebody else's mod.

I can answer any questions about the endgame save though, since I still have the old CK2 version on my Mac partition so I can still get at the save. So if there's a ledger page you want to see, a blob on the endgame map you want to see the name/culture/ruler of, or anything else, I'll get in there and find it for you.

AdventFalls posted:

Considering culture conversion in CK2 always works a little wonky, will the spots where the Hui are revert back to relevant European cultures or will they be mixing pot culture?

Case by case basis. My general philosophy is to just roll back most of CK2's nonsensical culture conversion, though. For the Hui states in particular (the Ming successor states proper and the revolter states like Austria et al) I'm still figuring out the best balance to make them viable enough not to get overwhelmed by patriot rebels but mixed enough that it's believable.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 27, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gyra_Solune posted:

Closest you can do is apply the shogunate system to a custom government (i.e.: Vassals can have diplomatic relations, including war, with each other), which isn't really appropriate for regions that don't have a clear central ruler (like us).

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

AdventFalls posted:

EDIT: Example: I think all the Georgians are all gone, replaced by Persians or Greeks except in Abhzakia.

Abkhazia is Persian too, actually. Orthodox Persian, but still Persian. Not really sure how that one happened, really.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Abkhazia is Persian too, actually. Orthodox Persian, but still Persian. Not really sure how that one happened, really.

Yeah, that sounds like a case of 'turn that poo poo back' unless we want to run with a 'the Persians are assholes' angle.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Well out of all the places to apply the HRE to, I say do it for the Otto-Seljuk-whatever region - they're decently fragmented but have a common Turkic-ish empire in common - maybe passing all the reforms turns them into the Ottomans so they can smash stuff up. England would be amusing as a shogunate, actually.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
##Vote Byzantium

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Rincewind posted:

I can answer any questions about the endgame save though, since I still have the old CK2 version on my Mac partition so I can still get at the save. So if there's a ledger page you want to see, a blob on the endgame map you want to see the name/culture/ruler of, or anything else, I'll get in there and find it for you.

Mostly wondering if any of the large blobs that remain are ruled by people with more than one crown. If so I would say those should be split into PUs for every equal level title held by them, with the primary title being the ruling nation, even if it is the smaller one.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
###Vote Byzantium

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Amnistar posted:

Mostly wondering if any of the large blobs that remain are ruled by people with more than one crown. If so I would say those should be split into PUs for every equal level title held by them, with the primary title being the ruling nation, even if it is the smaller one.

The King of Scotland also holds the title of King of Ireland, but that's mostly just because at some point well after Scotland conquered most of Ireland a rival member of the Kyle dynasty claimed the crown and there was a long stupid series of intra-dynasty wars. The king of France holds the title of King of Tripolitania, for some reason, but holds no territory in Tripolitania, so whatever. The ruler of Abyssinia (the largest of the Somalia successor states) also holds k_nubia, and Mansa Ghana of Ghana (that's his actual name! He's named "Ghana"! It's incredible!) is also the king of Songhai. Adam II banu Barghawati is Sultan of both Mauritania and Algeria, but only rules like two counties of Algeria. A few HRE members are multi-dukes-- Duchess Adelheid van Friedrichshafen of Saxony is also the Duchess of Verona, for example-- but they're, like, the opposite of a blob, and in any case the HRE is probably just getting rolled into one state (or the other princes will just be made vassals of Brunswick, the only remaining HRE state of any consequence) since as hilarious as an HRE with like 8 electors and 10 members is, it's a waste of the HRE mechanics better used elsewhere.

So basically there's not really any clear-cut examples of the same king or queen ruling two different kingdoms-- the handful of double kings are mostly either kings who pried the title out of the hands of a relative (Ghana, Scotland) in a series of wars, or they own just a tiny bit (or none at all) of their alleged second kingdom (France, Mauritania).

The only kind of exception would be Abyssinia and Nubia, but since I'm pretty sure you can't put trade republics in personal unions that model wouldn't really work for it.

EDIT: It seems like voting is slowing down, so :siren: VOTING CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT EST. :siren:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 28, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So I've lost track of this thread as of late, good read just haven't been in the mood. That's fine, whatever. So here I am, with some friends in the Camping the Stairs mumble and suddenly this fat sounding guy comes in, asks if we know of the thread, links it and then tells us to post double hash tag rome in the thread before leaving again.

So gently caress you, user Samuel V.

##vote Byzantine

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

So I've lost track of this thread as of late, good read just haven't been in the mood. That's fine, whatever. So here I am, with some friends in the Camping the Stairs mumble and suddenly this fat sounding guy comes in, asks if we know of the thread, links it and then tells us to post double hash tag rome in the thread before leaving again.

##vote Byzantine

This explains where all those Rome votes came SO goddamn much.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
With how close the vote is, it almost seems that no matter what the Senate decrees, most of Roman politicians and historians will keep calling the empire whatever they want.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
If it ends up as a tie, will we be called Byzantrome?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

##vote Byzantine

Ha ha you're loving kidding me.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ha ha you're loving kidding me.

They bussed in some Senators from loving Andalusia.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I must condemn this! Foreigners are corrupting the vote of the Roman Senate!

:argh:

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
If true, that's equal parts :golfclap: and :cripes:

On the one hand, that's the kind of under-handedness and thrifty movement that one could expect from a Roman Senator. The only thing he didn't do was promise loving grain.

On the other hand, as much as I'd like Rome to win, I'm not so loving obsessed with the thread that I'd bus in people who haven't previously felt the need to come here.

Again, if true: it easily explains where that glut of votes came from, but it does so in a way that's a bit fantastic and so far it's one guy leveling a pretty disparaging claim against another.

Edit: Feeling curious, I went back through the thread to check in on the recent votes.

Voter Pseudophile basically confirmed GotG's story.

So, the question comes down to how many of these votes specifically came from Samuel's work (there's a minimum of 1 who absolutely admitted it)...

And whether or not it's even worth the effort of discounting all of them. Some of them might genuinely want to be a part of the thread from here on out. Separating those form the folks who're just here because they were robotically following one guy's request will be A. difficult, because why would you admit to doing such a thing for a loving LP and B. is going to be prone to a lot of self-interest. Old Romans will want the least amount of votes discounted as possible and New Byzantines will want the most possible.

At the very least, I think we should probably go ahead and blacklist Senator Samuel for this and remove his vote from the proceedings. Whether the new votes will be enthusiastic new members or not, there's no place for this kind of behavior in a loving LP.

Skyfinder fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 28, 2014

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
##vote Byzanrome because c'mon.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
There is only one true path: ##Vote Byzanrome

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Steppes and Republics
Perhaps we as senators must forgo such outdated titles such as "Rome" or "Byzantium", perhaps we should recreate an Empire older and greater then that of the Roman or Byzantine Empire. We should recreate Alexander the Great's Macedonian Empire!!!!!!

## Vote Makedon

Blackunknown fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 28, 2014

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I've just been lurking the thread and decided to vote one way when I saw a 1-off tie and flipped a coin.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 28, 2014

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

##Vote Byzantine

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Fuckin' voter fraud in an LP thread, I love it.

Obviously, this an affront which cannot stand!

I've always known the Old Romans cannot be trusted, and this only proves it. :argh:

Even better, this turn of events only proves that the Byzantium is the only correct vote, since those who support the choice of Rome had to resort to calling upon decidedly non-Roman people in order to win. I think we can officially call this as a victory for Byzantium :smug:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Vote Xrestosland for are we not all united by our love for jegus?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ROME: 55

Funky Valentine
Skyfinder
Gnooble
Lord Cyrahzax
BwenGun
Sparq
AJ_Impy
StrifeHira
Raserys
ZearothK
Fox Ironic
Flesnolk
Dux Supremus
theblastizard
mcclay
ChaosSamusX
Ghetto Prince
WeaponGradeSadness
Disproportionation
TheLoquid
LJN92
Alikchi
Amnistar
Arbite
RZApublican
NewMars
Readingaccount
Semquais
sniper4625
Samuel
Ubern00b
GenHavoc
YF-23
Freudian
Horsebanger
Alexey
ThingOne
Jihad Joe
MacRomanGuy
derkaiser
Inkel
luserus
ThatBasqueGuy
FluffyBunny
Dr. Snark
Sokani
Pseudophile
fullTimeLurker
Emprah
Necroskowitz
Mister Olympus
Azzanadra
tatankatonk
shirunei
Lord Windy

BYZANTIUM: 52

Blackunknown
Aeromancia
ChrisAsmadi
Sinner Sandwich
Ghostwoods
Patter Song
Pyroi
AdventFalls
TheFlyingLlama
TheMcD
OddObserver
GoatLord
Frozen_flame
Dr karma
Redeye Flight
Rubix Squid
Luhood
Sindai
DerLeo
Lost Season
Adept Nightingale
Dreamsicle
Mirdini
Rejected Fate
Caustic Soda
ManicMarine
cokerpilot
D3m3
Beerdeer
UrbicaMortis
sheep-dodger
Lynneth
Meinberg
Talas
Averrences
Five
Erwin the German
nothing to seehere
vyelkin
Zikan
Mortuus
Geshtal
Hitlers Gay Secret
WilliamAnderson
NGDBSS
Clayren
DentedLamp
MarsDragon
Josef bugman
LordGugs
Gamerofthegame
GrabbinPeels

BYZANROME????:

Choccy Starfish
Frionnel
Krysmphoenix

:siren: 45 minutes left :siren:

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
##Vote Byzantine, we don't even own Rome. And we're our own creature at this point anyway.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Even without Rome, we are Rome! Rome transcends Rome! Rome is a tradition, a legacy, a promise of a future!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

##Vote Rome

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

##Vote Byzantium.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

The Rome Faction shipped in Senators from Andalusia and *China*. Vote Byzantium!

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010
##Vote Byzantium.

Been lurking around following this, might as well enter the madhouse and start voting. Let the past lie, Byzantium is the future!

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
I find it funny that the New Byzantines, once the great purveyors of equality in all things culture, religion and race now fret and screech over how foreigners in the Senate might be shifting their votes away from the New Byzantines and to the Old Romans.

Senator Samuel's actions are appalling, I'll agree that much with the New Byzantines. However, whereas their fear comes only from the fear of losing their power, losing the Senate, my distaste comes form ideals. It comes from virtue.

And where does that virtue come from? The ideals and promises of Rome. Not the city, as the New Byzantines so foolishly focus on. For Rome isn't a city, a set of territories or even an empire.

Rome is citizen virtue. Rome is serving your country through the army for so many years before you even dream of empowering yourself through petty politics. Rome is dictators who rise to the occasion when they are needed, and then set aside their power when the emergency has passed.

Rome is Five Good Emperors, Constantine, Augustus, The Komnenoi. Rome, despite some disagreement with the dynasty, is the Yaroslavovich. All of these men served to the best of their ability, even when some of their predecessors would not. The Komnenoi and Yaroslavovich especially define citizen virtue and service, fighting valiantly on the field of battle, many even giving up their very lives.

It is duty to one's state above all else, and it is the inclusive Empire that takes in many, teaches them to be Roman and then allows them into our breasts with open arms.

What is Byzantium, by contrast? Byzantium is feudal douxes, who have been in power for far too long. Byzantium is a group of Senators who are obsessed with the "new" but who never take the steps to define what that new is: for new and change are words that can draw in those who see no way out in the current system, even if what the promise of new and change is does not live up to the expectations, or worse, is counter to those hopes.

Byzantium, and the New Byzantines, is a wish that can never be, for the men who have staffed that party and support the ideals do not have the steel in their spines, the strength and virtue of character, to see it through.

Rome was a reality. Rome is our reality. And Rome will be our reality from now until the End of Days if we accept it in all parts:

Empire, Virtue, Duty and all.

Do not allow the actions of one man, or the opportunistic crowing of those who would see to benefit from him, to dissuade your heart, your mind or your soul. Vote Rome.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Anzrel posted:

##Vote Byzantium.

Been lurking around following this, might as well enter the madhouse and start voting. Let the past lie, Byzantium is the future!

Bold your poo poo, man

silverpower
Apr 16, 2012
##Vote Rome

I am a lurker, but I vote Rome on my own volition.

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.
##Vote Rome

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

##Vote Byzantium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

At last! Senators, Rome has triumphed, as it has, as it shall, and as it must!

• Locked thread