Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Onmi posted:

So people who still haven't watched Zexal don't know how dumb this show got, apologies for the impact font it's the only image I could find

100000 attack, because you know, with 4000 LP that's necessary
The original series had monsters with literally infinite attack, so 100,000 seems kind of tame by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Raigeki in an anti-climactic twist.

I know this isn't true but if it was then Zexal would have to be way better than what everyone has told me. That there's such things as "imaginary numbers" already makes me like the show better. :allears:

I think the fact that it's like a Rank 13 is more crazy than it's attack though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know. That's what makes me like the concept. If there wasn't any mathematical basis behind it it'd just be silly. But as is I am almost impressed with the stupid idea.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dexie posted:

The original series had monsters with literally infinite attack, so 100,000 seems kind of tame by comparison.

Yeah but Doma was filler, and poo poo, except for the Armor battle and DRAW! MONSTER CARD!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

Yeah but Doma was filler, and poo poo, except for the Armor battle and DRAW! MONSTER CARD!

Every single word and incomprehensible action made by Kaiba during the duration of that arc justified its existence. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xoidanor posted:

Every single word and incomprehensible action made by Kaiba during the duration of that arc justified its existence. :colbert:

"I'm going to kill you Kaiba! Your company killed my little brother!"
"Why should I listen to a man who couldn't even protect his little brother? I would never let that happen to Mokuba! HOROBII NO BAAAASUTO SUTORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMU!" (Mokuba proceeds to get kidnapped 50 billion times.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 18, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

Obelisk had an effect that gave it infinite attack too.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So how'd they beat it?

It's zexal, how does Yuma win any of his duels?

AlternateNu posted:

"I'm going to kill you Kaiba! Your company killed my little brother!"
"Why should I listen to a man who couldn't even protect his little brother? I would never let that happen to Mokuba! HOROBII NO BAAAASUTO SUTORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMU!" (Mokuba proceeds to get kidnapped 50 billion times.)

To be fair, at least Mokuba remained alive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Slur posted:

It's zexal, how does Yuma win any of his duels?

By using the variety of number monsters that he's hunted so he can be flexible and respond to any situation because his Gagaga cards allow him to go from level 1 to 8?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Onmi posted:

By using the variety of number monsters that he's hunted so he can be flexible and respond to any situation because his Gagaga cards allow him to go from level 1 to 8?

I wish we lived in the same universe you did.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So how'd they beat it?

Quoting YGOwiki...

"Yuma and Nash use the combined effects of "Utopia Rising", "Number 100: Numeron Dragon", and "Number 73: Abyss Splash" to boost "Number 39: Utopia" up to 102,000 ATK and attack this monster, but Don Thousand activates this card's effect to negate the attack and increase his Life Points from 900 to 102,900. Yuma then activates "Double or Nothing", doubling the ATK of "Utopia" to 204,000 and allowing it to attack again. "Utopia" then attacks and destroys this card, dropping Don Thousand's Life Points to 0 and winning Yuma and Nash the Duel."

So as every duel in Zexal, Hope + Double Up Chance.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay. I'm all caught up on Arc-V.

The hell did Destruction and Creation Magician come from?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

The same place Pendulum Monsters did probably.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So... He had them this whole time with the others, he just never used them?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

So... He had them this whole time with the others, he just never used them?

Either that or they magicked themselves into existence at a later point than his other Pendulum Monsters. Both theories have precedence in the rest of the series

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In the anime, your deck is an extension of your willpower. The cards that exist, and that you draw, depend only on you, not on luck at all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

The same place that all monsters that have never been seen come from.

Could have been in his deck, but he just never drew them. Could have been put into his deck off-screen at some point.

Or they just appeared by magic, that works too. :v:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 18, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

Or they just appeared by magic, that works too. :v:

I'm fine with it as long they aren't as blatant like Yuma.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's been going on since GX at least, with Jaden pulling wacky Neos fusions out of his rear end.

With the Pharaoh in Duel Monsters, I can at least accept that all of his bullshit is thanks to the Millennium Puzzle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well all the protags have some magical power which results in new cards being formed, at least at some point during the show. Yugi's the exception I think, the puzzle gives him a bunch of magic bullshit but I don't think it gets him new cards.

Jaden has the Neo-Spacians which sort of count, then season 3 happens and he's the reincarnation of some rear end in a top hat which grants him magic powers and then in season 4 he's got Yubel in him.
Yusei's a signer which magically gives him upgrades to Stardust every now and then, I think it's a bit rarer for him.
Never watched Zexal but apparently magically creating cards is Yuma's whole thing
And Yuya has as-of-yet unexplained magic powers probably from having Satan inside of him or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Atem/Yugi, Jaden and Yusei could sort of handwave it. Yuma straight up creates new cards in the opponent's face.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Atem/Yugi, Jaden and Yusei could sort of handwave it. Yuma straight up creates new cards in the opponent's face.

Yusei printed his cards in the middle of the duel, man. Yusei's thing at the end is that he was driving so fast blank cards suddenly became Stardust upgrades to overflow the market with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I kind of hope that some day we see Cosmic Blazar Dragon, Yusei's alternate-timeline ultimate card that ended up never existing becayse Yliaster changed stuff enough that Yusei summoned Quasar instead. Cause that name is too good to waste.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
is there a straight forward pendulum deck that i can throw together in ygo to get a better feel for these new cards?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

stoutfish posted:

is there a straight forward pendulum deck that i can throw together in ygo to get a better feel for these new cards?

Normal Pendulums are pretty straightforward.

EDIT: Normal Pendulum with a touch of Dino Rabbit thrown in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDHEa_ntZnc

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 19, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

stoutfish posted:

As Dexie said, Normal Pendulum is probably the best way to go. I used this one not only to learn Pendulum, but also Xyz and the game in general considering I hadn't played since the GX era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJUCTuS_YRE

Now I understand things!...except Synchro, Synchro is still kind of weird for me. Any way I could get Synchro easily?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just run a junk deck like Yusei's. That deck has super simple synchro combos.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was kinda surprised to run into people using junk decks. All the ones I play end up having some really strong opening moves where they swarm the field with synchro materials.

A tuner monster I really like though is Plaguespreader Zombie. Dump it from your hand or deck and you have a pocket tuner whenever you need one. Just summon a level 4 monster and you can bring out Goyo Guardian for an easy 2800 attack to reel in even more synchro/XYZ materials.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Plaguespreader and Glowup Bulb are the only two good tuners, in my opinion.

Slur fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 19, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Hey baby, Wanna Syncro?
:smugmrgw:
Because I got a pendulum you can summon.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

WeeabooJudas posted:

Hey baby, Wanna Syncro?
:smugmrgw:
Because I got a pendulum you can summon.

If we get together with my friends, I can show you 5Ds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey babe, they call me the

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nice to see Michael Flatley is getting some Yugioh representation.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So how come March of the Monarchs doesn't negate Solemn Warning?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

everythingWasBees posted:

So how come March of the Monarchs doesn't negate Solemn Warning?

Solemn Warning negates the tribute summon, so it doesn't even touch the field. It's why Pendulum Monsters who are warning-ed are sent to the graveyard.

Also spell speed. Counter traps are faster than anything else.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A while back someone mentioned that new info had come about about 5Ds being affected by the Romasophie cult scandal in Japan, and what the original plans for the series would have been (Demack having an actual backstory, Crow being the final enemy of the Dark Signer arc, boy twin becoming the fifth Signer and getting his Signer Dragon). Does anyone have a source for that? I've been looking around for it but all I could find was TVTropes stating it with no sources and one small fan forum that's completely locked down unless you register.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't tell me that Slifer the executive producer was a myth as well. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dabir posted:

A while back someone mentioned that new info had come about about 5Ds being affected by the Romasophie cult scandal in Japan, and what the original plans for the series would have been (Demack having an actual backstory, Crow being the final enemy of the Dark Signer arc, boy twin becoming the fifth Signer and getting his Signer Dragon). Does anyone have a source for that? I've been looking around for it but all I could find was TVTropes stating it with no sources and one small fan forum that's completely locked down unless you register.

A Japanese member of NeoArkCradle.net is writing a whole article about it that'll be out in English (due to its huge impact in many aspects of Japan mainly) but it's a huge-rear end thing that is taking a lot of time and investigation.
That said, the only thing the Romasophie scandal confirms is why Carly's VA was fired and highly implies the change of the show to robots from the future instead of cult wars. Crow was the final boss of the Dark Signers way back when Takahashi made designs and stuff, going by show timeline that must've changed way before we even saw his first appearance, and Rua being a signer early on is evidenced by his mark showing up in the 2009 Yugioh game.

Xoidanor posted:

Don't tell me that Slifer the executive producer was a myth as well. :ohdear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Slifer
The man died a few weeks ago, he was heavily involved with bringing Yugioh to the west so Konami gave him a thank you in the form of changing the death god's name to his radical last name. He also created Lobo for DC.