Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you have a Bounty Hunter in your party, make sure he has Finish Him as one of his skills. It might not seem incredible in terms of raw damage but it's a full-accuracy, full-damage trusty melee attack that can be used from anywhere and hit anyone holy poo poo. When we beat the Hag on our second try at her (she wiped us the first time, of course) it was with a Hellion tank using Iron Swan, a Bounty Hunter spamming Finish Him, an Occultist shooting Cthulhu magic and occasionally knifing the pot, and a Vestal who was mostly there for panic healing in case someone came out of the pot at Death's Door. We had a couple of mildly hairy moments but came away victorious, with no casualties and no Resolve events.

The Hag basically seems like a boss that will utterly crush you if your party is a front-loaded melee bruiser squad with back row healing; she's pretty much a hard counter to that strategy. If your party has the ability to deal good damage to enemies at any range, you should be able to bring her down .
I don't understand why the Bounty Hunter has that other ranged skill, hook and slash, the one that doesn't pull. It has worse base and crit than Finish Him, while able to hit any slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah I get the feeling Hook and Slash did something else at some point during development. As it stands now it's redundant and exists only to be swapped out with Flashbang, which rules.

Also, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Things get out of hand really quickly when people start cracking from the stress. I just lost a level 3 Plague Doctor on a routine dark run in the Warrens because I forgot to bring shovels. Naturally, the game spawned like 4 loving walls, and she went Paranoid. She freaked out everyone else so I ended up with 2 Paranoid, 1 Selfish, and 1 Courageous by the end of it.

Poor girl ate an unlucky crit from a slavering ghoul, which dropped a Bleed on her and rocked her to Death's Door. The Occultist came up, but she refused the heal due to Paranoid, and she died from the Bleed damage on her next turn. :(

Not sure who I'm gonna replace her with. The rest of the team is an Occultist, Highwayman, and Crusader. I had really been enjoying her Blighting skills but I don't have another PD waiting in the wings, so I either train up another from scratch or toss in...I dunno, a Jester, maybe, to replace Blight with Bleed?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you put the Jester in, he can spam rockin' lute jams every round to keep everyone perpetually buffed all to hell, in addition to slicing up the enemy's middle ranks and lunging to the front if you need an emergency order change. You can give him a song that chills people out and destresses them for emergency Affliction avoidance, too.

If he doesn't already have it, consider giving your Crusader that crummy off-heal ability. It's not very powerful but it's good for a clutch Death's Door save when your Occultist bleeds a dying character and heals 0hp. If you're using an Occultist as your main healer you will want someone who can apply a guaranteed >0hp heal for those cases where the RNG decides to kick you in the junk just as a good character is about to bite the dust.

Allaniis posted:

I don't understand why the Bounty Hunter has that other ranged skill, hook and slash, the one that doesn't pull. It has worse base and crit than Finish Him, while able to hit any slot.

I feel like Hook and Slash would be pretty useful if it caused Bleed or applied a debuff - maybe vulnerability to forced movement. Unless it scales weirdly and outpaces Finish Him in some way it's basically a dud skill by comparison.

Bounty Hunter generally seems like kind of a strangely designed class. He's good - Finish Him is amazingly versatile, the chain yank is great for loving over assholes in the back row, and the interaction with marking lets him do a ton of damage - but he has these weird finicky situations where he can mark stuff himself to do double damage which is directly equivalent to just attacking twice instead of marking, and he has a chain skill that appears to do nothing meaningful, and the only other class that marks is Occultist (to my knowledge). There are just some weird little inexplicable blind spots in his design space.

Maybe future updates will flesh him out a bit. Letting more classes mark would help a lot, as would giving more classes abilities that interact with marking.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 19, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In all likelihood, they'll probably nerf Finish Him's range rather than buff Hook and Slash.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

toasterwarrior posted:

In all likelihood, they'll probably nerf Finish Him's range rather than buff Hook and Slash.

Which sucks, because then the Bounty Hunter will become a really fiddly situational debuff micromanager rather than a generally solid all-around brawler who is distinct from the Leper's incredibly durable but unpredictable raging wall of diseased muscle, the Crusader's stalwart defense and melee support skills, and the Hellion's straightforward brute power and reach offset by self-inflicted debuffs. If they do nerf Finish Him they'd probably have to buff Hook and Slash to make it interesting in some way, otherwise nobody's going to want to swing chains at poo poo instead of just dragging it to the front so they can hit it with less boring abilities.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

They should replace Hook and Slash with a buff of some kind. Or maybe a stress reducer.

"Incognito" - Stress Resistant +25% for two turns, because you're in a skeleton disguise.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ran my first level 3 dungeon last night and was quite happily surprised to discover there are more enemy types to fight. As fun as it can be to have a perfect 1-2-3-4 combo planned for any enemy grouping getting ambushed and clawing your way back to victory is so, so much more satisfying.

PYF thing dragging this game down: not on my phone so I can play at work :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chard posted:

No Cloud saves and no iPad version, to do the same.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 19, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
A tablet version of this game would be amazing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It seems like a no brainer to port it to iOS and android.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Funny Interaction i found today, Revenge [or any Leper Buff that have that Heal 0 when applied] actually appears to heal for some fraction of 1 and is rounded down or something because ti will bring a Leper out of Death's Door.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So, wait, you only get the one page of Trinkets? For some reason I didn't think there was a cap.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

So, wait, you only get the one page of Trinkets? For some reason I didn't think there was a cap.

It should automatically expand and become a scrolling page of trinkets.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Norns posted:

That would be flippin awesome. I would love a game like this on a tablet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

It should automatically expand and become a scrolling page of trinkets.

It... it does not :ohdear:

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

S.J. posted:

It... it does not :ohdear:

It doesn't expand if you try to remove a trinket, which is annoying if you're completely full, but if you find a new trinket it should give you another row.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Norns posted:

I can see IPAD, but android development is a pain in the rear end and depending on the size of the team I could see sticking to apple only.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Teslavi posted:

It doesn't expand if you try to remove a trinket, which is annoying if you're completely full, but if you find a new trinket it should give you another row.

Nah. I had a full trinket box and like, 3 heroes that had full inventories as well that I couldn't put into the trinket container.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It usually expands if you get an overflow trinket as quest/loot when you come back to town. It doesn't seem to expand when you buy new trinkets. One or the other is a bug.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Likely the latter is a bug, the Hamlet as a whole is kind of a mess from a bug perspective, with how it doesn't remove Death's Door, doesn't handle Trinkets properly, sometimes doesn't remove your boys from stress relief places (i've had dudes drinking at 0 stress for 3 weeks straight once). It's fairly obvious they worked on that second.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Allaniis posted:

Hook and Slash actually has a place on my Bounty Hunters' tool slots, specifically because it has the ranged keyword. It works with sniper rings and archer whatevers. So it makes a good high-accuracy attack to deal 4ish minimum damage at endgame. It's not often that it's the most correct attack to use, but the Bounty Hunter is pretty unique in being the only character I really feel the need to level 4 skills on anyway.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

TheBlandName posted:

Hook and Slash actually has a place on my Bounty Hunters' tool slots, specifically because it has the ranged keyword. It works with sniper rings and archer whatevers. So it makes a good high-accuracy attack to deal 4ish minimum damage at endgame. It's not often that it's the most correct attack to use, but the Bounty Hunter is pretty unique in being the only character I really feel the need to level 4 skills on anyway.

The "ranged" keyword itself doesn't make that skill any more attractive. Especially as a character that has a melee skill that can hit every square.

What they probably should do is make the hook an aoe that hits 2 spots.

Now that I think about it, you know what this game doesn't have? A flexible 2 spot aoe attack (you choose which to hit: 1-2 2-3 3-4)

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Dackel posted:

The "ranged" keyword itself doesn't make that skill any more attractive. Especially as a character that has a melee skill that can hit every square.

Now that I think about it, you know what this game doesn't have? A flexible 2 spot aoe attack (you choose which to hit: 1-2 2-3 3-4)

To be more clear, the ranged keyword makes it more attractive because it works with the phenomenal ranged accuracy trinkets. Changing a skill from a 30% miss chance to a 10% miss chance is huge. It reduces the number of times you'll have to recover from an miss RNG-screw by two thirds with that character. Losing 1% crit chance to gain 20% accuracy is a trade I'll make in any game, any time. Since I'm already using those trinkets to buff the ranged skill Flashbang, taking Hook and Slash as a high-accuracy finisher seems like a no-brainer to me. Especially since it's competition is Uppercut or the laughably inefficient Mark/Collect Bounty combo. (It's only double damage if you don't have any +% damage traits or trinkets.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

They should replace Hook and Slash with a buff of some kind. Or maybe a stress reducer.

"Incognito" - Stress Resistant +25% for two turns, because you're in a skeleton disguise.

See Bounty Hunter might be a class that could have a passive gold buff as one of it's 4 skills.

I've come to collect. :clint:

The only way merchant will not be completely laughable is if there's A) more stuff to spend gold on and B) maybe lets you stack gold more.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dackel posted:

That honestly seems way too powerful. Being able to do that would make it a lot easier to manage the back two enemy rows by simply killing them off quickly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chard posted:

Not being able to sell trinkets because gently caress do I have way too many lovely trinkets. Like 50 or 60 of them, and only a half dozen are worth using.

No I do not want more loving stun resist trinkets

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sloober posted:

That honestly seems way too powerful. Being able to do that would make it a lot easier to manage the back two enemy rows by simply killing them off quickly.

Obviously a negative damage mod would be in place, like all other aoes. The point is there needs to be more than just a ranged/melee difference to make a skill unique. I don't think any other class has this problem... Except maybe the Highwayman's regular melee strike (does anyone actually legit use it? On a melee Highwayman perhaps?)

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Dackel posted:

Obviously a negative damage mod would be in place, like all other aoes. The point is there needs to be more than just a ranged/melee difference to make a skill unique. I don't think any other class has this problem... Except maybe the Highwayman's regular melee strike (does anyone actually legit use it? On a melee Highwayman perhaps?)

I use it all the time when he is in the front, and I don't want to jump him back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Plus the Bounty Hunter's main weakness is that he doesn't have an AoE. His whole concept is high single-target damage.

I agree that Collect Bounty is only worthwhile when running with an Occultist though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus the Bounty Hunter's main weakness is that he doesn't have an AoE. His whole concept is high single-target damage.

I agree that Collect Bounty is only worthwhile when running with an Occultist though.

Or a pair of bounty hunters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

S.J. posted:

Yeah, but who would run a pair of BH's with no Occultist?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

S.J. posted:

I'm really considering running a party of 3 BHs and 1 Vestal at some point soon. The lack of AoE seems like it doesn't matter when you have 3 guys who specialize in butchering dudes. The Takedown Plan buff only makes them more attractive as they get more experienced, because the really worrying guys are all big mfs. The Vestal just tags along to spam her party heal and occasionally stun a dude.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I'm really considering running a party of 3 BHs and 1 Vestal at some point soon. The lack of AoE seems like it doesn't matter when you have 3 guys who specialize in butchering dudes. The Takedown Plan buff only makes them more attractive as they get more experienced, because the really worrying guys are all big mfs. The Vestal just tags along to spam her party heal and occasionally stun a dude.

It is a very fun team composition.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
This game is funny since somehow my Occulist has a crit chance of 33%. Wiping out the last row with a single Artillery is nuts.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Wouldn't it be better to run 3 BH, and an Occultist? Marks for days.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

That makes more sense at low levels, but the Occultist's healing potential slackens off with relation to the Vestal's by level 3, and as a dungeon goes on you're going to be doing more healing than supporting.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Even at level one I've been using occultists purely for healing, to try to keep the rest of my guys in top shape as long as possible. I do like pairing him up with a support vestal and then taking balls-out dudes like the hellion or crusader and then having a grave robber or highwayman. I do like having two highwaymen and just bringing the occultist or vestal, then have a crusader or hellion in front. Grape shot just owns dudes super hard, then I send in my front man to take down the biggest threat. Also love point blank just to be able to put out some major damage if my party gets shifted around too much.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Nah. The Vestal's group heal and stun make it a much better choice in my experience.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

To be fair, the Occultist makes a lot more sense from levels 0-2. The Vestal really needs level 4 skills before she really comes into her own. But yeah, the Occultist gets an extra 1 point on the top and a worsening of his bleeding side effect, plus a better chance for marks and debuffs to stick. Marks basically stick all the time anyway, so who cares, and the weakening debuff is only useful in a few isolated situations. The Vestal basically gets +4 heal potential to her group heal every time she levels it and she doesn't have a downside, so she definitely catches up to the Occultist and her utility skills are things like stunning, which is always great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

S.J. posted:

Nah. The Vestal's group heal and stun make it a much better choice in my experience.

I'm just saying for more Zomgz 20 pt swings. The Vestal is OP a gently caress, and any party is better off with one.