Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Also Jinbe doesn't even need haki to hurt luffy. He just keeps his pimp hand strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I'm pretty sure when Smiley "died" a fruit in a nearby cart transformed into what I assume is its fruit, but I might be misremembering

Pretty much, but I was wondering what happened to the fruit after that. We haven't seen the Axolotl fruit since Smiley died, have we? Surely it's not still in that cart.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Fuckshoes posted:

Pretty much, but I was wondering what happened to the fruit after that. We haven't seen the Axolotl fruit since Smiley died, have we? Surely it's not still in that cart.

Haven't seen it cause that fruit sucks.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I feel like this is pretty common for shonen,but they don't always do a great job of showing that fourth layer because it's just being improvised

I'd say individual fights make up a layer before the story arc layer, so there's really five layers.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Amazon Lily is in the middle of a calm belt, surrounded on all sides by Sea Kings. If they want to eat anything besides what they can grow on the island, they need to be super-tough.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Amazon Lily is in the middle of a calm belt, surrounded on all sides by Sea Kings. If they want to eat anything besides what they can grow on the island, they need to be super-tough.

I also think that plenty of non-Haki users are way stronger than a typical Kuja. Haki isn't a new level of power so much as a new kind of power.

Also, as much as I like pointing out Oda's retcons (for example, Law was first introduced as Luffy's rival for One Piece, so his later characterization as willing to die just to kill Doflamingo is a bit odd), Haki was legitimately set up pretty early on. Blackbeard mentioned Luffy having Haki back in Jaya (although I suppose he could have just meant that Luffy was determined/ambitious), and Mantra was introduced at Skypeia shortly afterwards.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 31, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard mentioned Luffy having Haki back in Jaya (although I suppose he could have just meant that Luffy was determined/ambitious), and Mantra was introduced at Skypeia shortly afterwards.

IIRC, while Haki literally just means spirit/conviction/willpower, it's always been spelled a certain way in Japanese so it resembles the characters for Chi. And in that context, it's pretty reasonable to assume he was using it to refer to his inner Haki, since it's a force that exists inside all living creatures and all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

IIRC, while Haki literally just means spirit/conviction/willpower, it's always been spelled a certain way in Japanese so it resembles the characters for Chi. And in that context, it's pretty reasonable to assume he was using it to refer to his inner Haki, since it's a force that exists inside all living creatures and all.

Ah, so it's haKI. Another one of Oda's puns.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

I also think that plenty of non-Haki users are way stronger than a typical Kuja. Haki isn't a new level of power so much as a new kind of power.

Well most of the Amazon's have to be pretty low level given that Luffy was able to knock a load of them out using conqueror's haki and you have to be pretty weak to fall from that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Suaimhneas posted:

Yes, the Calm Belt is basically a No-Man's Land (:v:) of unusually strong creatures. The island near Amazon Lily Luffy used to train for 2 years with Rayleigh to refine his Haki abilities and develop Gear Fourth/etc was an uncharted island full of incredibly strong giant animals that could outmatch even a seasoned Grand Line pirate like Luffy. To sane people, you're not even supposed to set foot there normally.

With Rayleigh, though, he could swim through the Calm Belt and take on a Sea King bare-handed before carrying it to Amazon Lily to eat. He's just that ridiculously strong. To use a DnD analogy, Rayleigh and other world class pirates like him are on the far end of the dice roll spectrum, being able to clear 100 feet sheer walls made of oil and other mind-bending poo poo.

tsob posted:

Well most of the Amazon's have to be pretty low level given that Luffy was able to knock a load of them out using conqueror's haki and you have to be pretty weak to fall from that.

If you remember from when Shanks met with Whitebeard, Jozu mentioned that if you're not prepared for it, Haki can still knock down a strong fighter. The pirates on the WB crew weren't exactly chumps.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 31, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Silver2195 posted:

Ah, so it's haKI. Another one of Oda's puns.

one piece manga thread: oda... Does It Again !!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

Hunter x Hunter kind of plays with this idea a fair bit too. Gon and Killua are practically amateurs at Nen, but manage to beat more experienced people because they're naturally strong, even if untrained, and they are physically powerful too. You have Gon and Killua tumping weak nen-users on Greed Island who attempt to use magic card by just being faster, Gon suckering people out of money by arm wrestling with normies desipite being able to lift a Ford Focus over his head and so on. You even have this a little in One Piece, where Luffy can still hurt... Marigold (I think?) despite her Armament by using Gear second.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If you remember from when Shanks met with Whitebeard, Jozu mentioned that if you're not prepared for it, Haki can still knock down a strong fighter. The Pirates on the WB crew weren't exactly chumps.

i thought that was more that Shank's haki was so strong you had to be extra badass to not be affected. His aura was physically ripping up bits of the ship and poo poo too, I remember.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

This image amuses me because the only Supernova who gets a full body shot is Jewellery Bonney. Meanwhile Capone is literally his head shoved above her arms and a gun.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

i thought that was more that Shank's haki was so strong you had to be extra badass to not be affected. His aura was physically ripping up bits of the ship and poo poo too, I remember.

Yeah Shanks' haki is regarded as incredibly, over the top powerful. It's implied that this is why he is a Yonku despite having a comparatively small crew (only Yonku seen without an entire armada, in fact) and no insane devil fruit shenanigans. I don't even think any of his crew have demonstrated fruit powers.

Shanks has perhaps the strongest haki in the OP world, or at least the strongest yet shown.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I agree that Shanks probably has the most powerful Haki in the OP world. He was probably able to match blades with Mihawk by applying Haki to his sword, Mihawk did mention to Zoro that anyone can make their sword a 'black blade' (like his is naturally) by applying Haki to it.

It'd be interesting if Shanks is an inferior swordsman relative to Mihawk, but is so strong with Haki that it trumps everything else by consequence. Same deal for fighting with a single arm now.

e: In a surprising twist, Shanks can actually manifest a second arm out of pure determination Haki if he really wants or needs to, so it's no big deal.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 31, 2016

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Stallion Cabana posted:

This image amuses me because the only Supernova who gets a full body shot is Jewellery Bonney. Meanwhile Capone is literally his head shoved above her arms and a gun.

Luffy isn't full body?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="455672482"]
Luffy isn't full body?

Oh yeah he is. You're right

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm confused, Fullbody isn't a Supernova so why would he even be in the picture in the first place :confused:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crazyeyes posted:

Shanks has perhaps the strongest haki in the OP world, or at least the strongest yet shown.

i think rayleigh wins that on account of swimming through calm belt knocking out all the sea kings when having the power to control them is supposed to be a super weapon

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jose posted:

i think rayleigh wins that on account of swimming through calm belt knocking out all the sea kings when having the power to control them is supposed to be a super weapon

Probably true. He can use Conqueror's Haki with pinpoint accuracy (ie the Shabondy auction house scene) and was the first mate of Roger, as opposed to an apprentice cabin boy like Shanks was.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Parrotine posted:

It did make me ask something that never occurred to me before; how come Enel doesn't have any wings? Isn't he from Bilka?

He has that metal ring thing instead, which is unlikely to be something he was born with so he may have replaced his wings with it, which is kind of terrifying to think about.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I wonder how Enel originally found his Devil Fruit. I've normally thought of Devil Fruits being distributed by rolling and floating along the ocean, but it'd be hard to end up in Skypeia that way. Even with Devil Fruits being as rare as they are, it'd be neat to see the Strawhats actually find some in the wild as opposed to scenes of it being bestowed by someone to someone else.

There's probably a reason Oda has been deliberately avoiding how people find Devil Fruits originally, hasn't he?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
It could still float to him, knock up streams and all that. There is a cloud sea too it could've floated to him on.

Given his god complex though it probably was something enshrined and he ate, or was raised by come kind of cult to eat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

There's probably a reason Oda has been deliberately avoiding how people find Devil Fruits originally, hasn't he?

Luffy is too stupid not to help himself to some new food

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Hunter x Hunter kind of plays with this idea a fair bit too. Gon and Killua are practically amateurs at Nen, but manage to beat more experienced people because they're naturally strong, even if untrained, and they are physically powerful too. You have Gon and Killua tumping weak nen-users on Greed Island who attempt to use magic card by just being faster, Gon suckering people out of money by arm wrestling with normies desipite being able to lift a Ford Focus over his head and so on. You even have this a little in One Piece, where Luffy can still hurt... Marigold (I think?) despite her Armament by using Gear second.

Yeah, Luffy could hit hard enough to get through the sisters' Armament and move fast enough to beat their Observation Haki just by going Gear Second. One Piece does a really good job of managing its various superpowers and how they play off each other. Some are clearly more versatile and powerful than others, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses so it's conceivable, for example, that someone like Crocodile could play with the big boys despite not knowing Haki, etc. through his insane level of control over his devil fruit.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Yeah Shanks' haki is regarded as incredibly, over the top powerful. It's implied that this is why he is a Yonku despite having a comparatively small crew (only Yonku seen without an entire armada, in fact) and no insane devil fruit shenanigans. I don't even think any of his crew have demonstrated fruit powers.

When did they say Shanks didn't have an Armada?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

When did they say Shanks didn't have an Armada?

That no other ships seemed to show up with him to stop the war is a pretty compelling argument against him having an armada in my mind. If you're going to war you bring all the boys.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Shanks appears to only have one large ship on which all of his crew hang out. It's a much bigger crew than the Strawhats, but it isn't broken up into divisions or fleets or anything as far as is seen.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
When Mihawk and Ace went to visit Shanks, it seemed he had a fairly large crew with unnamed red shirt mooks but nothing bigger than that. It's just one big party crew.

It looked like the same deal with Roger at the Edd War, with no Armada ships to back them up. It'd make sense for Roger's protege to follow in his footsteps.

I wonder if Roger ever was recognized as Yonkou prior to becoming the Pirate King or if he just skipped straight to Top Badass?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 31, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

When Mihawk and Ace went to visit Shanks, it seemed he had a fairly large crew with unnamed red shirt mooks but nothing bigger than that. It's just one big party crew.

It looked like the same deal with Roger at the Edd War, with no Armada ships to back them up. It'd make sense for Roger's protege to follow in his footsteps.

I wonder if Roger ever was recognized as Yonkou prior to becoming the Pirate King or if he just skipped straight to Top Badass?

I think it's entirely possible that Yonkou weren't a thing before Roger. They came to fill the power vacuum when he died.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Fowl posted:

I think it's entirely possible that Yonkou weren't a thing before Roger. They came to fill the power vacuum when he died.

Whitebeard definitely fought against Roger. So while not being explicitly named Yonkou they probably held the same sort of position.
We don't know how old Big Mam and Kaidou are, but it's safe to assume that while they're not Whitebeard old, Theyd be close to Roger's age.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
re: Shank's Haki

Oda did say that Shanks could have knocked down all of the FIshmen Pirates, while Luffy was limited to taking down half.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whitebeard definitely fought against Roger. So while not being explicitly named Yonkou they probably held the same sort of position.
We don't know how old Big Mam and Kaidou are, but it's safe to assume that while they're not Whitebeard old, Theyd be close to Roger's age.

Right. I'm just saying that there were strong pirates before Roger, but I don't think there were "Yonkou". The emergence of pirate emperors dividing up part of world seems to me to be a post-roger thing. But this is just speculation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haki is so powerful that even when i read about it i pass out

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There might not have been a 4 Emperors "position" at the time, but Roger, Whitebeard and Shiki were pirate superpowers of some sort, right? There may have been more but I would assume that those 3 filled the same role as the 4 Emperors.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think Shiki was just a dude

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Comic posted:

It could still float to him, knock up streams and all that. There is a cloud sea too it could've floated to him on.

Given his god complex though it probably was something enshrined and he ate, or was raised by come kind of cult to eat.

I've always wondered about Enel. Other characters talked about rumors of him destroying his homeland, but none of his entourage confirmed it and when he spouted stuff about it being unnatural for humans to live in the sky it felt kind of forced. Kind of resembles Rob Lucchi to me, in that they both seem to have inscrutable motivations that might get expounded on at some point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LostRook posted:

I've always wondered about Enel. Other characters talked about rumors of him destroying his homeland, but none of his entourage confirmed it and when he spouted stuff about it being unnatural for humans to live in the sky it felt kind of forced. Kind of resembles Rob Lucchi to me, in that they both seem to have inscrutable motivations that might get expounded on at some point.

I get the impression Lucci was indoctrinated from a young age with the idea that anyone who acted against the World Government deserved to be crushed, and actually took it even farther than his teachers meant it due to his natural sadism. The CP9 cover story implies that he's mellowed since losing to Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parrotine posted:

I think Shiki was just a dude

His defeat at the hands of a rookie might have been undignified but they sent Sengoku and Garp to take him down, also known as the future leader of the marines and the marine's answer to Roger.

He was loving important.