Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If the SEC had stocks, I bet people higher up would have sold theirs before this disclosure.

Who's gonna go at them? The SEC? :homebrew:
Ah poo poo, I thought that was about Experian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Some VM escape vulnerability just patched by VMWare: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/09/21/critical-vmware-vulnerability-patch-and-update-now/

mewse
May 2, 2006

NSA's spying is hindering their efforts to propose encryption standards

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress yeah burn it all down

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Eh you have to have a compromised machine to escape to the hypervisor, and because of our VPN you can't get into our network from the outside so "

Spiceworks community is awful. Its like cybersecurity theater. Security cargo cult?

"Do these things, scan these firewall ports and we're safe! Because intrusion = network exploits, cybersecurity = a network problem."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spiceworks are at the initial peak in the dunning-kruger curve, and if I had to pick an emoticon to describe them, I would use :smuggo:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Spiceworks are at the initial peak in the dunning-kruger curve, and if I had to pick an emoticon to describe them, I would use :smuggo:

I dunno, :thunk: or :viggo: would also qualify.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I dunno, :thunk: or :viggo: would also qualify.

:nsa: seems to be also fitting

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
When I was at the gym there was some guy on CNN talking about how firewalls aren't enough and how networks need intelligent internal monitoring, etc.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

When I was at the gym there was some guy on CNN talking about how firewalls aren't enough and how networks need intelligent internal monitoring, etc.

That's what the security vendors are pushing now, how the old model was outside -> firewall -> inside and everything inside the firewall is trusted but that's not good enough anymore.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mewse posted:

That's what the security vendors are pushing now, how the old model was outside -> firewall -> inside and everything inside the firewall is trusted but that's not good enough anymore.

But it's never been good enough. Not for some time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In the first year (month?) of the first firewalls list at greatcircle, people were fighting about whether perimeter defense led to internal laziness, and so forth. I'm sure it predates that, even, but those were the conversations that 16-year-old me first encountered. This was an era of squishier centers even (hosts.equiv!).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

In the first year (month?) of the first firewalls list at greatcircle, people were fighting about whether perimeter defense led to internal laziness, and so forth. I'm sure it predates that, even, but those were the conversations that 16-year-old me first encountered. This was an era of squishier centers even (hosts.equiv!).

God you just reminded me of every vendor in the early '00s.

No, "crunchy on the outside while gooey on the inside" is not some fantastic new aphorism you *just* came up with. STOP USING IT IN EVERY SALES PRESENTATION.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Proteus Jones posted:

God you just reminded me of every vendor in the early '00s.

No, "crunchy on the outside while gooey on the inside" is not some fantastic new aphorism you *just* came up with. STOP USING IT IN EVERY SALES PRESENTATION.

I stopped doing security consulting in 1997 because I could count the people in the industry I wanted to work with on...something with about 30 items.

Filling an opening day screening of Hackers with folks from the USENIX security symposium was a good time, though. Likely the only time the rainbow books have received a standing ovation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hackers was a good film and I will fight anybody who disagrees. Guy Pratt did a great job on the soundtrack.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I stopped doing security consulting in 1997 because I could count the people in the industry I wanted to work with on...something with about 30 items.

Filling an opening day screening of Hackers with folks from the USENIX security symposium was a good time, though. Likely the only time the rainbow books have received a standing ovation.

Stop making me feel my olds here. I haven't thought about USENIX in forever. Also local 2600 meet ups. Which were just a bunch of teens and 20 somethings haging out a in a food court swapping floppies. Logging onto the local BBS to get the current bridge line.

drat, when did I get so old.

:corsair:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Proteus Jones posted:

Stop making me feel my olds here. I haven't thought about USENIX in forever. Also local 2600 meet ups. Which were just a bunch of teens and 20 somethings haging out a in a food court swapping floppies. Logging onto the local BBS to get the current bridge line.

drat, when did I get so old.

:corsair:

Thing is that wasn't even that long ago.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Thing is that wasn't even that long ago.

I'm half joking. I'm not decrepit yet. But some of that was from more than 25 years ago for me.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Time to put machine learning IPSes on every internal router and switch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lain Iwakura posted:

Time to put machine learning IPSes on every internal router and switch.

Bruce Schneier has been talking about this at least since 2014.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Curious, and I think this is the best place for this query:
My $company's internal IT has recently started deploying a lot of DLP tools and whatnot. Since I run a lot of VMs from my lab, and those are not managed by internal IT, and do have internet access: does $company see that VM's web traffic? Is there some sort of encapsulation once traffic passes from guest to host, and upstream?
Is the answer the same for all hypervisors, from workstation to ESXi, also counting KVM, HyperV, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alfajor posted:

My $company's internal IT has recently started deploying a lot of DLP tools and whatnot. Since I run a lot of VMs from my lab, and those are not managed by internal IT, and do have internet access: does $company see that VM's web traffic? Is there some sort of encapsulation once traffic passes from guest to host, and upstream?
Is the answer the same for all hypervisors, from workstation to ESXi, also counting KVM, HyperV, etc.

If you did that at my company you'd be destroyed, man, you're making me twitch.

To answer your odd question, it's not like traffic from a VM is hidden or encapsulated to be hidden from view or anything. They will still see it. Hopefully they do HTTPS inspection too.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bruce Schneier has been talking about this at least since 2014.

It was partly a joke. Identifying traffic internally is a bit problematic if you're in a flat network hell. The only system I've considered for dealing with the mess is to use this garbage but it's another barrel of laughs to manage and it's just throwing more garbage on the fire.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lain Iwakura posted:

It was partly a joke. Identifying traffic internally is a bit problematic if you're in a flat network hell. The only system I've considered for dealing with the mess is to use this garbage but it's another barrel of laughs to manage and it's just throwing more garbage on the fire.

they sure handle noscript gracefully

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
"Smart Networks" are way off. It's hard enough for devices to detect DDoS on the spot. All these DDoS migitation devices (like Arbor) have learning phases to use as a baseline and will block (or raise alarms) for weird patterns but there are tons of false-positives. And those are dedicated devices. Traditional NGFW are imperfect (or really poo poo, hello Palo Alto) but still pretty good - much like your front door. But it's all they are. Anybody with enough determination can find another way in. As we know, it's just a matter of means.

The main problem companies need to solve is that there are still way too many people who consider that "security is expensive", "we don't need that", "we are safe", "nobody's going to hack us" and all that bullshit. Once THAT is solved at least we'll have a good foundation to build up from. But if the foundations are poo poo, your building is going to crumble pretty quickly no matter how much cement you use. EU's GDPR is a good incentive into that direction Companies that collect or deal with European citizen data (even if the company does not operate in EU ; just handling the data is enough) can be fined up to €20M or 4% of annual revenue, whichever is the biggest, if they get hacked and it turns out they didn't apply due diligence or care. Not patching a 2.5 month old vuln would definitively fall into that, to use Equifax as a comparison.

This will force companies to invest more into security, which is great, and maybe that'll drive better and "real-er" new tech breakthroughs?

Thanks Ants posted:

Hackers was a good film and I will fight anybody who disagrees. Guy Pratt did a great job on the soundtrack.

It got me interested in the technical side of computers (programming, Linux, ...) when I was like 12. I only played games or made music before that, and I feel that movie opened my eyes to what can be done with _any_ computer.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Lain Iwakura posted:

Is it though? I work mostly on the lab side but the vendors say that they can hook into Active Directory to figure out who's behind a given IP. And then based on that they know which Groups they are part of, and you can apply rules to that ("Marketing can access social media all the time ; other groups only during lunch." ; "Devs can use ssh to github, nobody else" ; "Finance can only use HTTPS and we'll DLP the poo poo out of that" ; etc..). Are you saying that in real life this doesn't work? Genuinely interested.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alfajor posted:

This post is triggering me on so many levels.

Your traffic will appear no different than any other traffic on the network. The only encapsulation which will be present is whatever you put in so unless you are routing to the internet at large through a VPN or other tunnel then they will have visibility to anything they could capture from a regular endpoint.

In either case, hopefully your lab is on a verifiably discrete network with zero connection points to your corporate assets. If not you really should get that rectified ASAP for your own liability's sake as well as obvious ramifications for the company. If your company has to undergo any formal audits you will be nailed to a wall.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 22, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread lol

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Furism posted:

Can't you load the private key in Wireshark and still decrypt it on the fly? Genuine question, as I've only done it with recorded HTTPS myself.

This is the attack that forward security prevents, right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't recall seeing this mentioned, but did sandsifter get mentioned in this thread? It's found at least one instruction which is handled erroneously in all hypervisors tested while on real hardware it'd work properly, so any attempt to run exploited binaries in a virtual guest wouldn't reveal the exploit.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Furism posted:

Is it though? I work mostly on the lab side but the vendors say that they can hook into Active Directory to figure out who's behind a given IP. And then based on that they know which Groups they are part of, and you can apply rules to that ("Marketing can access social media all the time ; other groups only during lunch." ; "Devs can use ssh to github, nobody else" ; "Finance can only use HTTPS and we'll DLP the poo poo out of that" ; etc..). Are you saying that in real life this doesn't work? Genuinely interested.

It does work and I've actually set it up. The problem is not in terms of setting it up but actually supporting it--what is overlooked with these solutions is the need for having a support team that can navigate this and a user base that is willing to accept it. It's really meant for specific environments and I have yet to come across one personally that would be an ideal candidate--even at my org I couldn't recommend it.

The only time I can say that you can safely do something this or have something 'smart' tag your network is in industrial control systems where you know exactly how much and what sort of traffic you have to begin with. Good luck dealing with it if you have a corporate network that relies heavily on cloud-based services.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Via YOSPOS Sec gently caress thread

Also:

https://twitter.com/me_irl/status/911328527248699392

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Always.

Never forget the Adobe position on non-local storage in TYOOL 2017:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html posted:

Technical Support strongly recommends working in Photoshop directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then transfer them to the network or removable drive in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. To retrieve files, copy them in the Finder or in Windows Explorer from the network or removable drive to your hard disk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Every day, more dumpster fires

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/911287697448198145

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Technology was a mistake. I want off this wild ride.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Only a matter of time before somebody finds a crippling security flaw in caves and camp fires

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Only a matter of time before somebody finds a crippling security flaw in caves and camp fires

Not much confidentiality in smoke signals

mewse
May 2, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not much confidentiality in smoke signals

I don't think we have anything to worry about unless someone has a grudge against Alice and Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Truly, Adobe Security is the Adobe software of security.