Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the best 007 game post-Goldeneye is Everything Or Nothing. Just an overall fun and neat game, though I wish I had someone to play the co-op campaign with.

lol at Shannon Elizabeth being a Bond girl... but only in one of the videogames.

Not sure why I never played it. I remember hearing it was pretty good, but not... great? Which is kind of what I meant earlier. The games seem to be decent usually, but never all that popular or above the rest of the riff-raff. I guess when you stick to the Bond formula and world you have to try extra hard to make it inventive and exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

precision posted:

Lollipop Chainsaw was a Good Game

Shadows of the Damned was... okay.

Lollipop had a good story and decent gameplay, Shadows had a decent story and pretty good gameplay.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

lol at Shannon Elizabeth being a Bond girl... but only in one of the videogames.

Not sure why I never played it. I remember hearing it was pretty good, but not... great? Which is kind of what I meant earlier. The games seem to be decent usually, but never all that popular or above the rest of the riff-raff. I guess when you stick to the Bond formula and world you have to try extra hard to make it inventive and exciting.

Everything or Nothing wasn't perfect but it was fun that it often had multiple paths through certain levels (not all levels) and the gadgets and guns and stuff you had access to let you deal with situations in a variety of different ways.

Also it's kind of funny looking back at it now because one of the stages is you chasing down Jaws and trying to stop him from flooding new orleans by destroying the locks with special nanomachines since the whole game was made pre-katrina

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

apparently the AAA game industry is having a little bit of a crisis right now. according to PAL charts, Watch Dogs 2 sold only 20% of what Watch Dogs 1 sold in the same timeframe from launch. Similarly, Mankind Divided sold half of what Human Revolution sold, Gears of War 4 sold 25% of what GOW3 sold, Titanfall 2 sold 25% of what Titanfall 1 sold, Infinite Warfare sold half of what the last COD sold. Remember this is not "(X) launch week vs. (Y) lifetime sales" but "(X) sales after (Z) days vs (Y) sales after (Z) days"

maybe companies should consider releasing games outside of the last two months of the year just because of Black Friday

DOOM sold well for example and it was not a holiday game. but meanwhile Skyrim Remastered is outselling Watch Dogs 2 currently lol

How are Toys To Life games doing?

Oh. Oh no.

I think we killed another golden goose, guys.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

I'll let you know, I was getting a lot of crashes with Planet Coaster and someone in the thread suggested old drivers might be the issue.

Nvidia update: every manual driver download also installs GeForce Experience. On the other hand Planet Coaster seems to work ok!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Josh Lyman posted:

Since it's the 25th anniversary of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and I've never played it, I figured now is as good a time as any.

But which emulator should I use? I'm using an Xbone controller on Win10.

Higan is really the only SNES emulator worth using anymore.

Unless you're playing on a toaster in which case SNES9x is fine.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How are Toys To Life games doing?

Oh. Oh no.

I think we killed another golden goose, guys.

Good

Maybe I can get some of that stuff for a reasonable price now lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure LEGO Dimensions is actually selling pretty well, probably because they bothered to make it a good game and also the toys are things one might actually want to own on their own merits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm not surprised Skylanders is tanking. This year was particularly bad in terms of being appealing as a toy OR as a game. Not bad just I can't imagine any kid really giving a poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

Everything or Nothing wasn't perfect but it was fun that it often had multiple paths through certain levels (not all levels) and the gadgets and guns and stuff you had access to let you deal with situations in a variety of different ways.

Also it's kind of funny looking back at it now because one of the stages is you chasing down Jaws and trying to stop him from flooding new orleans by destroying the locks with special nanomachines since the whole game was made pre-katrina

It also had very enthusiastic punching, apparently:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised Skylanders is tanking. This year was particularly bad in terms of being appealing as a toy OR as a game. Not bad just I can't imagine any kid really giving a poo poo.

I read they put Crash Bandicoot in Skylanders and I wonder if kids now even know who that is

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I turns out my wife and I probably going to play Mass Effect together, because she really wants to play it but her laptop is a Mac. I might play the second Bioshock game in my effort to catch up with old games that I'm only just getting to, since I played the first one a bit ago.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Skylanders collapse is sad because they're basically the new Beanie Babies, parents spent literally thousands on their kids' collections (some with the mistaken impression that this would be popular for a very long time or that the toys would retain value) and now they're sitting on a ton of garbage plastic statues their kids don't care about.

I preordered Pokemon Moon at Gamestop for some reason, and when I went in to do it the people in the "trade-in" line were a working class married couple trading in like a hundred figurines, literally bags full, for a total that had to be less than the price of a single new game (they were at $20 after going through like half of them)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

wizard on a water slide posted:

The Skylanders collapse is sad because they're basically the new Beanie Babies, parents spent literally thousands on their kids' collections (some with the mistaken impression that this would be popular for a very long time or that the toys would retain value) and now they're sitting on a ton of garbage plastic statues their kids don't care about.

Some things never change.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wizard on a water slide posted:

I preordered Pokemon Moon at Gamestop for some reason, and when I went in to do it the people in the "trade-in" line were a working class married couple trading in like a hundred figurines, literally bags full, for a total that had to be less than the price of a single new game (they were at $20 after going through like half of them)

That is colossally sad :(

I bet the circumstances of it were super hosed, too, because you don't collect a hundred plastic figurines unless you're super passionate about it for some reason.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's worse is that they could easily get a lot more just selling them online, not even trying to price gouge people, just getting at least *something* reasonable back.

There's no reason to trade stuff in to gamestop other than convenience of being able to do it all at once.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

FirstAidKite posted:

What's worse is that they could easily get a lot more just selling them online, not even trying to price gouge people, just getting at least *something* reasonable back.

There's no reason to trade stuff in to gamestop other than convenience of being able to do it all at once.

I've traded a few games in at Gamestop because dealing with all the flighty wannabe lowballing dealhunters on Craigslist isn't worth the annoyance anymore. Same with eBay because lmao sending anything via post in 2016.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The best tie-in titles were the Riddick games and the surprisingly good Wolverine: Origins. Also the Punisher game with insane finishers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The good news about the Skylanders collapse is that it finally frees up Fred Ford to do something fun, maybe, and if we're lucky, he'll work with Paul Reiche.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mung Dynasty posted:

I've traded a few games in at Gamestop because dealing with all the flighty wannabe lowballing dealhunters on Craigslist isn't worth the annoyance anymore. Same with eBay because lmao sending anything via post in 2016.

In the case of skylanders figures, people are always trying to outdo each other if you just put up an auction for one on ebay. Plenty of times I see them start the auction at 99 cents and then it ends at anywhere between 18 to 40 dollars.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

The good news about the Skylanders collapse is that it finally frees up Fred Ford to do something fun, maybe, and if we're lucky, he'll work with Paul Reiche.

I like that this market's collapsing just because it means I'm gonna be able to buy garbage bags of the suckers on the cheap and give 'em to my new niece in a few years.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Higan is really the only SNES emulator worth using anymore.

Unless you're playing on a toaster in which case SNES9x is fine.

Speaking of this kind of stuff, what's the goto Genesis emulator these days? I've seen there's a few pretty recent ones focusing on accuracy but I haven't had a chance to sit down and figure out which is worth using.

Meanwhile the Sega Genesis Collection has stuttering and input lag with the default interface :rolleye:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I imagine gamestop is fed up with the toys to life market given how many pre-owned ones they have just lying around

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello it snowed today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee_5Qip4Xp0

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In 2030, college kids will talk about their first Skylander/toy-to-life like people would talk about the first arcade game they played. There will be strong opinions about the best generation of Skylanders and a grey market for Skylander-to-VR converters so hobbyists can relive their youth in a post-TV world.

Do you remember your first Skylander?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

oddium posted:

hello it snowed today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawOX90pKY8

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Do you remember the first robot master you defeated?

Mine was Magnetman

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

toadman i think.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Knightman.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

Mine was Magnetman

Same here, I think. MM3 is the first game I vividly remember experiencing for thr first time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, third-person stealth action (with vehicle segments) was a much better fit for Bond than FPS and the open level design combined with all the optional Bond Moments you could unlock by playing cleverly (like sneaking around a group of enemies and using a steam vent to cook them alive instead of just shooting them) gave it a fair amount of replayability.

Plus Willem Dafoe as a Bond villain with a platinum and nanomachines shtick.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

I don't remember which dude I managed to beat first, but I vividly remember playing a ton of Mega Man 2. I was never able to finish Wily's castle as a kid, and I loving loved the giant dragon boss in Wily 1.

I'd say prolly Flash Man or Metal Man, but I thought Quick Man was the coolest.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lizard Wizard posted:

Same here, I think. MM3 is the first game I vividly remember experiencing for thr first time.

Hell yeah Mega Man 3 bros. Though I'm pretty sure the first one I got was Shadow Man.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, has anyone gotten Sun/Moon who's in the same boat of not having really liked a pokemon game since second, maybe third gen as myself? I kinda want Sun/Moon, but everything good I've heard seems to be from a die-hard fan perspective.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Chill Penguin. I didn't own a NES, just a SNES. And the spider boss took me so long to defeat, even though in retrospect it wasn't really that hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, has anyone gotten Sun/Moon who's in the same boat of not having really liked a pokemon game since second, maybe third gen as myself? I kinda want Sun/Moon, but everything good I've heard seems to be from a die-hard fan perspective.

I haven't really been big into Pokemon for a while.

My honestly feeling is that it's a solid and fun game. I'm not super-duper crazy thrilled with it but I had more fun with it than X/Y (I skipped Omega Sapphire/Ruby because I was bored as hell with Pokemon.) It's unarguably still Pokemon but does a lot to be charming and accessible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Apparently there's going to be a third version on the Switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Apparently there's going to be a third version on the Switch.

I have to admit that a non-portable version holds less appeal to me.

(Yes, I am aware the Switch is portable, I mean in a "I can just pop it open for a few minutes" way which the Switch doesn't really seem like.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

Chill Penguin. I didn't own a NES, just a SNES. And the spider boss took me so long to defeat, even though in retrospect it wasn't really that hard.

The spider is definitely the hardest boss in Mega Man X. I can beat like three stages without taking damage but I sometimes still have to use a sub-tank when I fight the spider.

The first robot master I ever beat was Cut Man, but I think Mega Man 3 is the first one that I beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Mine was Magnetman

Woodman, pretty sure. Megaman 2 was my first Megaman game and I always went for him first because his level was the easiest.

• Locked thread