Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Figuring the game out is a great joy. Its a nice puzzle. They you start thinking like the game and you hit the zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

I have 157 hours in this game, mostly in cosmonaut mode, and currently have the biggest town I've ever constructed (1,055 people). We have 1 (one) clothing factory and for the first time ever in this game I have exported something and gotten paid for it.

I haven't felt this satisfied by a game in a very long time.

e: lol, and there's the death spiral. I had a deficit of water being delivered to my substations, as I hadn't set up my pipe network yet. Since I set them up early there was enough of a buffer to keep me going for a long time, until I got the 4000+ no water unhappiness penalties. Might be recoverable, but probably I'll give in to the brain worms and start again.

ABen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Thank for for the hot bus tips. I didn't consider the vehicle depot :negative: Now my power and heat is mostly sustained :toot:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The General posted:

Thank for for the hot bus tips. I didn't consider the vehicle depot :negative: Now my power and heat is mostly sustained :toot:

Once you start sourcing labor from your citizens and not the border, consider putting your heat and power on a dedicated tram, metro, or cable lift line, then make sure that line is powered by its own independent wind power in addition to the main grid, just in case. Busses are a good start when you're learning the game, but you'll see the issues crop up when they get slowed down by snow or a traffic jam.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hate to use cable cars where they don’t visually look appropriate but they seriously are the absolute GOAT for heat and power. Also you can set apartments to specifically work somewhere (including a station, if you want them to wait somewhere specifically.) In my city, it seemed like citizens would not prefer cable car stations over tram or train stations, so for me to get enough workers to them I had to use this feature. Assume roughly 1/3 of the apartment is working at anytime, but observe and tweak how many workers you need if you use this method.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is there a trick to making custom key bindings save?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
They key things are to have

1) an adequate pool of labor to pull from

2) adequate throughput of transit, and

3) adequate frequency of transit

Think in terms of microdistricts - "link" blocks of housing to specific industrial parks. Add up the number of workers for a shift in that park and size your districts to have 3x the shift size plus about 20% for running district services.

For critical infrastructure like heating and power frequency is king. I've found having them in walking range of an industrial park bus stop in addition to a dedicated microbus line of 4-6 buses works well. The key thing is that a new shift is dropped off every 8 in-game hours at a minimum.

Automatic line spacing is good for frequency, so buses don't clump up. You'll want to use it in combination with a bus end station on the outskirts of the city. Buses will stop there on their way back from the industrial park, top off fuel and wait however long they need to for spacing. You can build a repair station next to it and they'll be maintained as well. If you don't use an end station buses will space themselves by driving slowly which can jam up roads.

Beware drawing too hard on your labor pool. Construction is a big cause of shortages if you overbuild. You want to maintain about a 3-5% unemployment rate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I really do wish there were better ways to have dedicated lines for critical, must not stop industry like heat and power, without having to use cable cars. Or at least having something like a "forced overtime" switch to keep workers up to another shift longer in exchange for a massive happiness and health penalty or something until the next shift comes.

Of course there's the "you, disloyal peasant, are assigned to housing block 14A which is within walking distance of the power plant, which is your only employment for the rest of your life" option but that isn't great either.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I really do wish there were better ways to have dedicated lines for critical, must not stop industry like heat and power, without having to use cable cars. Or at least having something like a "forced overtime" switch to keep workers up to another shift longer in exchange for a massive happiness and health penalty or something until the next shift comes.

Dedicated rail, whether train, tram, or metro, all works just as well. Cable cars are just funnier, and sometimes more convenient since you only need the footprint for the towers. Heck, even busses work fine except for getting slowed down by snow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In keeping with my general desire for stupid inefficient projects we could maybe have space housing that is immune to pollution but expensive to upkeep.

Or in keeping with my desire to start the people's glorious republic design bureau let me spend a million roubles to put a snow plough on a Skoda.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's nice that they've been adding more and more systems but it's really awful that you still basically need to run bespoke van services for key infrastructure to direct a stream of lemmings at it or your entire country will freeze to death.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just build heating plants in walking distance from a apartment complex

Oh if you mean power tho yeah. Gondolas ftw

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

In keeping with my general desire for stupid inefficient projects we could maybe have space housing that is immune to pollution but expensive to upkeep.

Or in keeping with my desire to start the people's glorious republic design bureau let me spend a million roubles to put a snow plough on a Skoda.

They've discussed future DLC plans for different biomes and I really hope that after that they expand the timeline the way mods are currently used for, both into the past and into the future, ideally with some kinds of megaprojects. You can sort of fake the latter by finding mods, but it's a crapshoot; for some reason, modmakers love to "balance" their massive, pricey skyscraper housing by making it generate pollution.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

The General posted:

Is there a trick to making custom key bindings save?

the drop down bar at the top is all the assignments I use

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just want right click to be freelook and not MMB. MMB was a mistake :colbert:

Edit: I can change it in the settings, but it resets to default every time I exit the game.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Polikarpov posted:

Automatic line spacing is good for frequency, so buses don't clump up. You'll want to use it in combination with a bus end station on the outskirts of the city. Buses will stop there on their way back from the industrial park, top off fuel and wait however long they need to for spacing. You can build a repair station next to it and they'll be maintained as well. If you don't use an end station buses will space themselves by driving slowly which can jam up roads.

I can't believe it took me over 200h to figure out that end stations can space by time, and I only found out by accident. I thought they were just different shaped stops. Instead I cursed the stupid line spacing that causes all buses to constantly go 30kmh. As a consequence, I only build power plant in my first save and then just imported it forever to avoid constant blackouts because some bus arrived 2 seconds before everyone at power plant decided to teleport home, and then complain about lack of electricity

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A small tip that was nonobvious to me at first too: You can use personal cars as busses on passenger routes. I think the minibus is generally good enough if you're playing vanilla, but in early start and maybe certain situations you want a very tiny work force (1-4) per arriving vehicle with a little added speed over buses (usually.)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Trabant "busses" are great for water treatment, small heating plants and stuff like that, yeah. For power plants I ussually just put them in the middle of an industrial zone, the closest to the bus stop and this works well for me, the frequency of busses means there's always going to be some workers arriving. If you wanted a dedicated line for some reason, I'd go with mini buses. Mechanically cable cars are clearly the superior option, but like others have said I can't handle the aesthetics unless I'm using them in a thematically appropriate place.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gimmick project idea: towns that don't use roads except for store supplies, everything else is cablecar and footpaths

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

double nine posted:

gimmick project idea: towns that don't use roads except for store supplies, everything else is cablecar and footpaths

Pathfinding is still a liiiiiiittle bit funky for me re: ambulance/fire service to buildings without a road connection. You can do a lot with an outer wall of flats/storage into schooling, leisure, and shopping in the middle, though, especially if you allow yourself one "main street" that exists solely for more of these and the power transformer wanting one.

I've come around somewhat on cable cars, but I still absolutely do not trust them for main power plants when I'm worried about power plants. Heating's fine, the substations are going to want power too anyway, but I'm not going to make anything truly self-dependent--I'd almost be inclined to have a special closed (diesel) rail or dedicated BRT line.
That said, I'm not typically worried about power plants because I rely on the principle that it only takes one person to supply emergency power--the general secretary flipping the lever from "export" to "import".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Log082 posted:

They've discussed future DLC plans for different biomes and I really hope that after that they expand the timeline the way mods are currently used for, both into the past and into the future, ideally with some kinds of megaprojects. You can sort of fake the latter by finding mods, but it's a crapshoot; for some reason, modmakers love to "balance" their massive, pricey skyscraper housing by making it generate pollution.

Future stuff would be cool, but honestly I'd be more up for futurism, art deco, the kind of insane 1910's/1930's nonsense like "what if we demolished half of paris and built a giant ziggurat in there" kind of poo poo.

If Hoxha can cover Albania in bunkers I should be able to build some stupid big housing with an entire underground service system.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just want modular/multi stage industry.

For example, the steel plant, although a very big building, is very small for a steel plant. It should be a sprawling city in itself, with multiple furnaces, coking plants, foundry halls, storages, ect, all linked up with conveyors, trucks, narrow (and full) gauge railways. Let me have a railway tipping coal onto a heap that goes via conveyor into the furnace, then a narrow gauge train carrying the liqud steel to a casting hall, and a branch going off an extruder that runs on rollers into a forge room.

At the moment I find steel underwhelming, you kind of get that feel when you build a complete construction materials site with gravel plants, cement, bricks, prefabs, ect, and it makes this giant cool looking complex, and then the steel is just this one boring rectangle, even if it is a large rectangle. Also it would let you play with heights, which are always one of the most fun areas in a city builder, and this one in paticular feels very rewarding to build multi level complexes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

I just want modular/multi stage industry.

For example, the steel plant, although a very big building, is very small for a steel plant. It should be a sprawling city in itself, with multiple furnaces, coking plants, foundry halls, storages, ect, all linked up with conveyors, trucks, narrow (and full) gauge railways. Let me have a railway tipping coal onto a heap that goes via conveyor into the furnace, then a narrow gauge train carrying the liqud steel to a casting hall, and a branch going off an extruder that runs on rollers into a forge room.

At the moment I find steel underwhelming, you kind of get that feel when you build a complete construction materials site with gravel plants, cement, bricks, prefabs, ect, and it makes this giant cool looking complex, and then the steel is just this one boring rectangle, even if it is a large rectangle. Also it would let you play with heights, which are always one of the most fun areas in a city builder, and this one in paticular feels very rewarding to build multi level complexes.

Yeah I would dig an "Advanced Factory" difficulty setting like this that turns it into even more of an insane factory game ontop of its current factory-lite/mostly infrastructure/cities presentation.

That said with things like fires and maintenance that might become arduous. Maintenance/reconstruction is already a rotten bitch: I tend to like to build a construction depot that, while it might stay there, the construction fleet will move to a new depot as needed. I don't mind building a small 'maintenance' construction office that keeps a small group of vehicles to automatically queue and execute reconstructions - one big office is enough - but they can't repair the building they're in. This means that I have to build one of these every 3k exactly, instead of closer to 5k apart, since the next maintenance CO will have to be close enough to find and reconstruct the old one.

I like maintenance because its a very good 'sink' instead of just perpetual exports - it both creates interesting interruptions that you will need to be robust to and eats up a lot of special goods, and also eventually supposes you will need to rebuy or rebuild vehicles, but drat if it doesn't have a lot of annoyances.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Just build a tiny construction office besides your main one and forget about "exactly 3 km".

Still annoying, but a lot less so

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
The whole power plant (well, power in particular, but large hi-emissions industry generally) pollution issue is kinda silly in that a large part of the reason that the video game-stereotype smokestack industry has the giant smokestacks is so that they don't just make everyone in their immediate vicinity the most lead poisoned a human has ever been. It should really be something more along the lines of, a fraction of the strength over an order of magnitude greater area or whatever numbers, where living next to the power plant is...not great, but not the end of the world, but living in Nickelsmeltsk, generally, gets real bad if you decide you're going to smelt all the world's nickel there.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I usually get bored before getting to nuclear power plant, but now I'm getting close. Does NPP give lethal dose of radiation in walking distance or do the devs actually know that it doesn't create a death zone unless it melts down? The fact there is a dosimeter and that even a food factory kills everyone in walking distance (or at least used to) doesn't give me much hope

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Everybody left after a bad winter and spotty heating. Probably for the best, everything is a fiasco :v:

I now have a better idea of how things work, and maybe next time I can keep things organized. (lol yeah right)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pollution sucks for anything but the heaviest industry where I’m more okay with the abstraction. I can’t have a clothing factory downtown without it absolutely crushing my population?

Robs074 has some factories that are toned dramatically down that allow you to build them in cities reasonably - I think just food/clothing, maybe fabric. I like these mods.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
btw for any newbies I'm once again recomminding you check out bbaljo on youtube, he's got great videos breaking down a good order to build things in and talking about why he does it.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

btw for any newbies I'm once again recomminding you check out bbaljo on youtube, he's got great videos breaking down a good order to build things in and talking about why he does it.

I like his videos a lot the train signaling one in particular was helpful.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Twlight posted:

I like his videos a lot the train signaling one in particular was helpful.

I should maybe watch this, I feel like I've regressed with my signalling. I used to be very conscious and careful, but since they added the ability for trains to use red signals as potential 'path' signals I just throw poo poo wherever. Which is probably good in the sense that they've made the signalling a lot easier to futz with, but I still, every now and then, have insane traffic jams I didn't expect. (Most of this is more a problem of that horrible "was a simple yard, then got out of control with spaghetti" more than signals, though.)

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Double post and all but wanted to promote a mod You Didn't Know You Wanted: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3022150983

Wanted to share a little more on this massive transformer mod: This city is pretty sizable and was having some rolling blackouts as a result of some center-city substations not getting enough juice through the medium voltage step. I managed to fix it because there's so many cable connections that I can arrange in a (fairly) compact and organized way without building what would take a ton more land area by virtue of vanilla things just not having enough connections. It looks so nice! The city only draws 5-7MW at any given time so the station isn't near overloading (it's currently fed by a 10MW) but it just needed that many cable connections for the 1.45MW buried cables. A little hard to see but you can see the yellow cables and all the boxes for the connection. Its a little janky to get everything in a nice "bus" of cables right near the substation and then on top of that, I ended up having to cross the streams a little when I needed to reinforce the grid, but with a little planning you can make such nicely organized underground stuff.

JonBolds posted:

Really love this setup and the visuals of it. Workers & Resources: Soviet Appalachia
Thanks! It was a tough area to make a functional city with enough pop to feed a mine, but it ended up just barely working out - and actually has enough labor to spare that I wonder if I couldn't stuff something else fairly small after the coal mine stop. I was super happy with it once complete. Anyway, I've since went back and detailed that city a little - changing building paints to be more aesthetically pleasing and replanting trees!

e: Bonus one because I liked this park. I wanted it in daylight and not winter, but you get the vibe anyway, its cozy. You can also see me just barely fitting parking lots in between buildings. Hey, not everyone gets a great view.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 19, 2024

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'll never stop.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does pollution add something to this game? Especially on realistic mode, should I just play with pollution turned off?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
It gives you a reason not to build the coal power plant next to all the housing, tempting as it may be

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Does pollution add something to this game? Especially on realistic mode, should I just play with pollution turned off?

Its function is to prevent you from building heavy industry inside a city, such that you should be working on ferrying workers to industrial centers. Considering the size and necessary infrastructure for large factories, you probably don’t want to do this anyway. If for that or any other reason you aren’t doing this, then yeah, the mechanic basically amounts to “I built my heating plant too close to the city.” I like it because it keeps me honest, but it isn’t truly that interesting beyond that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Airconswitch posted:

It gives you a reason not to build the coal power plant next to all the housing, tempting as it may be

I don’t understand why that would be a bad idea. In many countries coal power plants were built near housing and even city centres. For example in Helsinki, Hanasaari power plant provided electricity and district heating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanasaari_Power_Plant

https://maps.apple.com/?ll=60.181603,24.968652&q=Dropped%20Pin&t=h

Tampere has a similar power plant near where I live, where they used to burn oil and peat, before switching to other types of biomass.

Edit: also for example in Tampere they had a paper factory, textile mill and a huge machine workshop, which manufactured trains, weapons and all kinds of other things from steel and iron.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 19, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just because it has been done, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The General posted:

Just because it has been done, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I don’t understand why not. The workers live nearby and they can just walk to work. Based on this, I assume the pollution mechanism is deeply unrealistic in this game and better be left off. Thanks!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That's emissions from somewhere else, winds carry them around. So yes coal is the issue, but not the exact coal plant you live next to. That's what the tall smokestacks are for. Also the deaths come over a long time (decades), not immediately, like in the game.