Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

amigolupus posted:

I do think Laios and Senshi need the reality check, given they're at the stage where they're just feeding other people monsters without their knowledge. Like how they tried to feed a devastated Marcille some Harpy omelet after the Chimera Falin encounter, or Senshi adding a Walking Mushroom to the risotto he made for Izutsumi.
Laios also fed Marcille the fishman eggs early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There's also a sort of oblique explanation for the distaste in the episode before this one, when Laois is happy to have met Itzu. He talks about how she isn't bloodthirsty like monsters are, which says to me that there is a definite distinction between monsters as a category and animals.

How does one know when looking at a given creature which side of the line it's on? An interesting question. Like, we do because we know anything that isn't real is a monster, but is it actually a hard line in universe or as flexible as the definition of 'human'? Is the kraken just a giant squid, or is it a monster?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The anime does seem to have omitted a portion of the conversation from the manga:

Monsters containing the equivalent of a toxin would be a pretty good reason to avoid eating them!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lazy Fair posted:

Most people having an aversion to eating monsters makes sense on the surface if you think about it like it's real life.

Eating horse meat is largely taboo and illegal in the US, despite it being fine in many other cultures. While that one doesn't bother me personally, I would be extremely bothered by eating some other animals even if it was technically safe and I was assured it was delicious.

Most people here would not want to eat bugs, or worms, or snails, ect. Yet there are of course cultures where it's done. In episode 1 they eat a giant scorpion, how many of you are thrilled at eating a scorpion irl?

Plus as marcille says in this episode, there ARE good reasons to regulate and be careful about which populations of animals we consume. There are a ton of major diseases which are believed to have jumped species due to humans eating animals, such as ebola, aids/hiv, bird flu/swine flu, and covid.

This is not even getting into whether or not the monsters have eaten humans, which is also brought up in episode 1.

These distinctions and cultural nuances and moral grey areas are the luxuries of people who aren't hungry

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The thing about them eating people is a little weird to me since plenty of animals try that too.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Clarste posted:

The thing about them eating people is a little weird to me since plenty of animals try that too.

Well, obligate carnivores like big cats aren't usually known for being good eating, and even wolves, which are commonly hunted and rarely man-eaters, aren't to my knowledge a big part of any regional cuisine I'm aware of. Some cultures even refuse to eat fish from lakes where bodies are buried, so it's not an uncommon taboo.

The only overlap in the Venn diagram of "game animal" and "maneater" I can name is a brown bear, but even then, bear paws and fat are just the exception to the rule that carnivore flesh generally tastes foul.

Not that I'd know from experience or anything, I'm mostly going off things I've read in novels.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

lightrook posted:

Well, obligate carnivores like big cats aren't usually known for being good eating, and even wolves, which are commonly hunted and rarely man-eaters, aren't to my knowledge a big part of any regional cuisine I'm aware of. Some cultures even refuse to eat fish from lakes where bodies are buried, so it's not an uncommon taboo.

The only overlap in the Venn diagram of "game animal" and "maneater" I can name is a brown bear, but even then, bear paws and fat are just the exception to the rule that carnivore flesh generally tastes foul.

Not that I'd know from experience or anything, I'm mostly going off things I've read in novels.

From what I understand, part of the problem is that carnivores by their nature eat a lot of other animals, so any harmful substances or surviving parasites those animals have will accumulate within the carnivore.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Asterite34 posted:

These distinctions and cultural nuances and moral grey areas are the luxuries of people who aren't hungry

See, this is kinda where my head's been at. I'm thinking this is akin to frontiersman/wilderness exploration where I cannot possibly fathom returning to a city to get provisions instead of at least learning to supplement my rations along the way. And then if a friendly, healthy dude comes up to me and points out all the stuff I can eat, you bet your rear end I'm learning his ways. It's only practical. Use those bones and fur, too!

I would also be eating a lot of poo poo out of revenge if it's killed me before. :sparkles:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't shake the deep suspicion that eating monsters is how you get prions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Suleman posted:

From what I understand, part of the problem is that carnivores by their nature eat a lot of other animals, so any harmful substances or surviving parasites those animals have will accumulate within the carnivore.

Yeah, look up the impact that food chain contamination has on top predators like polar bears.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…poo poo, now I’m wondering if you can commit auto-cannibalism by getting killed by a monster that partially eats you, getting revived, killing it before it had a chance to digest what it ate, then eating the monster.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

YggiDee posted:

I can't shake the deep suspicion that eating monsters is how you get prions.

I can't shake the deep suspicion that eating monsters is how you get psions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't shake the deep suspicion that eating monsters is how you get psions.

So who's awakening their latent Blue Mage first?

And how jealous will Laios be when it's not him?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
weird that the only adverse effect so far has been laois eating the raw parasite

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
This needs a One Punch Man crossover where eating monsters definitely does give you powers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lightrook posted:

If we're talking about novels and bears, I always remember a description I read. "Bear that has lived too much on other animals is not very nice, but bear that has had plenty of honey and fruit is excellent, and this turned out to be that sort of bear."

So if that's true, then bears aren't even an exception. Just a variant on the rule.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goffer posted:

This needs a One Punch Man crossover where eating monsters definitely does give you powers.

The only power they got from eating monsters in that were super squirts

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I also just realized the only time I played DnD, it was as a hillbilly drow who kept eating all the monsters we came across. DM would have me roll constitution throws every time I did it. So I might be biased here.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Das Boo posted:

See, this is kinda where my head's been at. I'm thinking this is akin to frontiersman/wilderness exploration where I cannot possibly fathom returning to a city to get provisions instead of at least learning to supplement my rations along the way. And then if a friendly, healthy dude comes up to me and points out all the stuff I can eat, you bet your rear end I'm learning his ways. It's only practical. Use those bones and fur, too!

We haven’t seen too many adventuring parties, but it seems like most of them treat the dungeon as…a hike? A more-dangerous-than-usual day job? Most people aren’t down there eating to survive, they’re making adventuring forays and returning home to rest up for the next one. They just aren’t taking it seriously. Unlike Laios and co.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they're not taking it seriously because they're relying on corpse retrieval and teleport spells. They're taking the easy way and budgeting out their trips with so many days food and they expect to get to X location to do Y quest, maybe they're collecting bounties, maybe they're doing errands for someone, maybe they're just trying to get to the lowest point of the dungeon and look for that wacky magician.

No matter what, they're handling it as casually as someone to whom death doesn't really apply would. Everything short of being digested by a monster is fixable and even then there's a chance (assuming your resurrectionist brought a spare cow).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah they're not taking it seriously because they're relying on corpse retrieval and teleport spells. They're taking the easy way and budgeting out their trips with so many days food and they expect to get to X location to do Y quest, maybe they're collecting bounties, maybe they're doing errands for someone, maybe they're just trying to get to the lowest point of the dungeon and look for that wacky magician.

No matter what, they're handling it as casually as someone to whom death doesn't really apply would. Everything short of being digested by a monster is fixable and even then there's a chance (assuming your resurrectionist brought a spare cow).

They're often treating it seriously, but they're treating it seriously as a very different thing from Laios and co. They get a job, budget the supplies to do it, finish the job, leave, and collect the money. It's a concrete mission with beginning, middle, and end along with a budget, supplies, and clear measures to mitigate risk.

Laios, meanwhile, is trying to go to the deepest layers of the dungeon on a tight time table, with no money. It means he has to take a very different approach.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

They're often treating it seriously, but they're treating it seriously as a very different thing from Laios and co. They get a job, budget the supplies to do it, finish the job, leave, and collect the money. It's a concrete mission with beginning, middle, and end along with a budget, supplies, and clear measures to mitigate risk.

Laios, meanwhile, is trying to go to the deepest layers of the dungeon on a tight time table, with no money. It means he has to take a very different approach.

Well at least at this point they're no longer really on a time table, it's just a matter of getting to the bottom and/or to the Mad Mage. Although now I suppose even if they found a bunch of money it wouldn't matter because they can't leave without getting Marcille arrested.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

(which is not true for all of the fictional creatures that Kui draws upon, being that slimes are canonically essentially konbu, or edible kelp)

It's worth observing that the creatures Marcille imagines subsequently in her nightmare in ep2/ch3 really do seem more inedible; if the party had rolled so that their random encounter every day is a zombie horde or ghosts, there might not be much to eat (ROT-13 MANGA SPOILERS Vg'f uvagrq yngre gung vg'f abg na nppvqrag gur cnegl nyjnlf frrzf gb svaq guvatf gurl jnag jvgu whfg gur evtug punyyratr engvat, hayrff Guvfgyr vf npgviryl vagreiravat va na nern: gur bar naq bayl gvzr gur cnegl snvyf gb svaq sbbq).

Senshi is also allowed to have what seems to be an infinite amount of flour, onions, garlic, salt, sauce oils, butter, etc. to make dishes palatable. They're not just bushmeat skewers with a thick vegetable stew every day.

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 19, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man that is some foreshadowing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ronya posted:

Senshi is also allowed to have what seems to be an infinite amount of flour, onions, garlic, salt, sauce oils, butter, etc. to make dishes palatable. They're not just bushmeat skewers with a thick vegetable stew every day.

I mean, that's how real life cooking works too. Singed pig is hardly a delicacy on its own either.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

TwoPair posted:

Well at least at this point they're no longer really on a time table, it's just a matter of getting to the bottom and/or to the Mad Mage. Although now I suppose even if they found a bunch of money it wouldn't matter because they can't leave without getting Marcille arrested.

They're still on a time table: Shuro said he was going to report to the lord of the island about chimera Falin, who we know puts out bounties on dangerous stuff in the dungeon. Laios said he's worried that before too long Falin will kill another adventuring party, or be killed by one.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Man that is some foreshadowing

whats it foreshadowing? im stupid.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Zeruel posted:

By using ancient magic, Marcille has become "a criminal who can't return to the surface".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zeruel posted:

“Those people are criminals who can’t return to the outside world” since that is literally going to be our party soon if it isn’t already.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
oh, yeah. personally I don't see marcille's use of ancient magicks deserving of a criminal charge :colbert:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
e: nah

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 19, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Zeruel posted:

oh, yeah. personally I don't see marcille's use of ancient magicks deserving of a criminal charge :colbert:

Are you willing to be her defense attorney in this world where apparently every normal person thinks of black ancient magic as super dangerous and illegal?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zeruel posted:

Unfortunately the elves see things differently

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

Are you willing to be her defense attorney in this world where apparently every normal person thinks of black ancient magic as super dangerous and illegal?

I played that Ace Attorney/Professor Layton crossover I can defend them!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How are you going to call a 6 meter long, 3 meter tall turkey-human hybrid to the stand, huh??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just demand trial by combat

name falin as your champion 2ez

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think it works like that. At least the impression that I get is that the Western elves are scary dudes and might be able to take Falin.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I don't think it works like that. At least the impression that I get is that the Western elves are scary dudes and might be able to take Falin.

Yeah this seems like the kind of infraction where if you're lucky you get some sort of trial. Given Chilchuk's stories about the Elves, it seems they just black-bag people who are too magically... "interesting"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm sure this is all a terrible cultural misunderstanding and we never hear from people again because they're having such a great time with the Elves that they forget to write home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the elves took them to summer camp but their perception of time works differently