Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes. It's a big rear end monster, but I think rich will be focused on how it comes out of the dark and what it does and what that means to people rather than the omg reveal of it being a whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
O-Chul already told us what the MitD is. Pay attention you guys. :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it's even possible to reveal the monster and not have someone have to call out "oh gods it's a wibblebeast!" Like, the nightmare thingie fits the bill and all, but I sure wouldn't recognize it as one on sight.

e: man the flavour for Zodars is pretty good, even only implied from the mechanics, but I'm getting the giggles imagining these ultra mysterious, armored, tall and silent magical powerhouses jump everywhere they go just because they can.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Man Rich is really doing well!

Some great banter in this one, hah

Somehow I didnt notice that until someone pointed out what the mitd did.

Colonel Cool posted:

I like the settings but the systems themselves are borderline unplayable, imo. It's kind of funny to note specific rules in Burning Wheel which were obviously added because Shadowrun is so frustrating to play. For example:

What's wrong with shadowrun? I've never played it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 27, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anatharon posted:

Somehow I didnt notice that until someone pointed out what the mitd did.

Ten things i hate about shadowrun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Anatharon posted:

tl;dr its mechanics are really bad at being the kind of game the setting and premise want it to be,

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Shadowrun tries to be all things to all people. It has mechanics for serious thoughtful crime dramas and pink mohawked katanamans cutting tanks in half in the same system and they don't play well with each other or with themselves as a result.

Also if you try to make a generalist with "average" (never defined in the rules, but we can pretend it's 2s and 3s) stats that character will be bad at everything and constantly fail in any challenging situation. Or you can specialize a character, who will be good at two or three things on a level that defies human comprehension and makes adventure design or party balance basically impossible.

Want to ride a bicycle at six times the speed of light? It is not particularly difficult.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That puts a whole new spin on BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A lot of the problems people have with Shadowrun boil down to them not wanting to play Shadowrun.

Shadowrun is a game about being a violent professional criminal, and you should make characters that are good at being violent professional criminals. There are lots of ways to do this, but everybody should have a way to kill a security guard who decides its time to arrest a PC by shooting them a lot.

There is some rule clunk, but not as much as people think, and you don't have to follow every printed character like it's gospel.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"You can just not follow the rules" is not a great defense for a game that is literally just a rulebook.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

wiegieman posted:

A lot of the problems people have with Shadowrun boil down to them not wanting to play Shadowrun.

Shadowrun is a game about being a violent professional criminal, and you should make characters that are good at being violent professional criminals. There are lots of ways to do this, but everybody should have a way to kill a security guard who decides its time to arrest a PC by shooting them a lot.

There is some rule clunk, but not as much as people think, and you don't have to follow every printed character like it's gospel.

poo poo, lost SR GMs I know keep it really light behind the screen. They just roll what they feel like is an appropriate amount of dice. Who actually works out chunky salsa? If that rule comes into play the affected people are dead in 99% of cases, right?

^^and yet is the Prime Directive of all RPGs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

wiegieman posted:

People avoid the combat in Shadowrun because the combat rules are insane rocket tag if the characters are even slightly specialized in combat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

^^and yet is the Prime Directive of all RPGs.

There's the way this applies to most RPGs, and then there's the extent you have to do it with Shadowrun.

It's a fun setting, but there's no reason to not just play it in FATE or whatever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a fun setting, but there's no reason to not just play it in FATE or whatever.

FATE combat is bad too. Play it in Strike.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just resolve the combat with live firearms.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Obviously the answer is GURPS Shadowrun

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

I hadn't realized how developed that had become since I last looked at it. Sorry for continuing this derail, but that's an interesting idea, thanks.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I've only dabbled in fate, but I remember it being really hard to actually kill things

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

I've only dabbled in fate, but I remember it being really hard to actually kill things

Most of what you fight in FATE should be mooks that get taken out with even a moderate hit. If your GM is giving everything you fight the ability to take consequences, they're loving up. A decent percentage of the opposition shouldn't even have stress boxes and be taken out with any successful attack roll.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's the way this applies to most RPGs, and then there's the extent you have to do it with Shadowrun.

I subbed in the still completely slick and awesome (if you're okay with having a bunch of tables) Spacemaster when I was running my eclipse phase game and it worked really well, but that was because EP runs on percentiles.

Bizarrely Rolemaster had its own [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberspace_(role-playing_game)cyberpunk[/url] game back in the day so I guess you could make your own shadow run mash up with that and the fantasy rules.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2016

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

wiegieman posted:

There's also the difficulty of if you are a player who decides to go into Hacking. That's no problem. They have books and books of Hacking rules.

But if you want to use them, it basically means the Hacker and the GM go off and play a different game while the other PC's just twiddle their thumbs.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

The Question IRL posted:

There's also the difficulty of if you are a player who decides to go into Hacking. That's no problem. They have books and books of Hacking rules.

But if you want to use them, it basically means the Hacker and the GM go off and play a different game while the other PC's just twiddle their thumbs.

Wasn't the Astral Plane essentially its own game, as well? A newbie GM had to have a physical dungeon, an astral dungeon, and a hacker dungeon, just to cover the basics?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

Wasn't the Astral Plane essentially its own game, as well? A newbie GM had to have a physical dungeon, an astral dungeon, and a hacker dungeon, just to cover the basics?

In theory yes, in practice there was never really any threats that required the mage to go Astral. Hacking is much less of a problem now in 5e, to it's credit; the minigame only takes a fraction of the time as a combat encounter.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Also your decker can deck in AR and be right along with all the rest of his chummers.

I basically just think of the astral plane as something for Mages to use during legwork or if you want to do a gimmick all awakened run. The system and books let you run waaay more stuff than 3-5 criminals do a crime. I'm kicking around the idea of a Doc Wagon concept game for one of my first games.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not 3e! The people specialized in combat are among the worst practitioners of it!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Not really? Most matrix actions are a complex action, like everything else. Hacking isn't its own game, it's a thing you do in the initiative order while the rest of your team is shooting guards or conning secretaries or picking locks. There are modifiers for being on a different grid, or on a weak grid, or noise, but that's just a flat number that's the equivalent of fog in a firefight. It all basically boils down to getting marks or doing matrix damage, while the local host or an on site spider tries to brick your deck or fry your brain.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wiegieman posted:

Not really? Most matrix actions are a complex action, like everything else. Hacking isn't its own game, it's a thing you do in the initiative order while the rest of your team is shooting guards or conning secretaries or picking locks. There are modifiers for being on a different grid, or on a weak grid, or noise, but that's just a flat number that's the equivalent of fog in a firefight. It all basically boils down to getting marks or doing matrix damage, while the local host or an on site spider tries to brick your deck or fry your brain.

This is one of those posts where I can't tell if it's a joke or not because honest to god everything you said was complete gibberish, and I don't know if this is really how Shadowrun works or if you just went full blown Mad Libs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't know if this is really how Shadowrun works or if you just went full blown Mad Libs.

Shadowrun claims to work this way, but in practice the Matrix never really syncs up with combat. By the time you've scanned a network, connected, identified the processes, chosen one, overcome the security hacker, compromised the system, and spoofed some commands, someone's tossed a grenade into a room with a three meter high ceiling and everyone's dead due to those ludicrous chunky salsa rules. Or everyone's shot to death, that's pretty common too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My favorite Shadowrun "chunky salsa" story involves a character creating a force field to shield the party from enemy fire, and tossing a grenade at the enemies, in that order. Meaning the grenade stayed on the party's side of the field and they got a nice little stupidity-induced TPK.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

My favorite Shadowrun "chunky salsa" story involves a character creating a force field to shield the party from enemy fire, and tossing a grenade at the enemies, in that order. Meaning the grenade stayed on the party's side of the field and they got a nice little stupidity-induced TPK.

This exact story is why people should play Shadowrun! This is loving hilarious. You re roll a group of runners laughing their asses off at those loving slotters that blew themselves to right into the astral plane and move right on!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rygar201 posted:

This exact story is why people should play Shadowrun! This is loving hilarious. You re roll a group of runners laughing their asses off at those loving slotters that blew themselves to right into the astral plane and move right on!

How easy is it to roll new characters in shadowrun?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

This is one of those posts where I can't tell if it's a joke or not because honest to god everything you said was complete gibberish, and I don't know if this is really how Shadowrun works or if you just went full blown Mad Libs.

That's literally what you do. Shadowrun has a slightly funny initiative system: every round all actors roll all their initiative dice +bonuses and add them up, then spend that total initiative score to take simple (costs 5) and complex (costs 10) actions. Dodging and other defensive actions also costs intiative. Marks are spoofed passwords, 5 editions generate a lot of jargon.

And yes, part of The Hacking Problem is the writers not realizing that everything should be doable in one action. Cameras? One action. Mess with files? One action. Not: get three marks while fighting off IC, brick/KO the on site security, then action to change cameras, then then action to search files, then action to copy, then action to edit.

Most people do boil it down a lot.

sebmojo posted:

How easy is it to roll new characters in shadowrun?

The Shadowrun fanbase is insanely dedicated, and maintains a very robust fan program called Chummer. There's herolab too, but that costs money.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 28, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I like herolab but most people use chummer because :20bux:

Seriously, if you can't just lol at your party grenading itself and move/retcon it why play RPGs?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Obviously the answer is GURPS Shadowrun

I'm literally doing this right now. It works really well for a grittier campaign where you want to focus on the danger of the job and the necessity of getting chromed up if you want to survive.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Astribulus posted:

You really don't have to. The world is whatever you and your players make of it (especially you as the DM since you've got final say). The books are guidelines that you can and should alter to suit your campaign.

Yup. When my group played we had a completely different idea of what lawful was even. (Mostly because chaotic as written is stupid).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

New one!

Also nee Gumroad PDFs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New strip!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1042.html

O-Chul reaffirms exactly what the MITD is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"I didn't bring them for you" :3:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rygar201 posted:

New one!

Also nee Gumroad PDFs.

Also says there's a Belkar PDF for backers but I didn't get it and I can't find it on the Kickstarter page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also says there's a Belkar PDF for backers but I didn't get it and I can't find it on the Kickstarter page.

It's the one from 2013. The only new thing is that you can now purchase it.

E:

GITP front page posted:

Also, if you are a Kickstater backer, you should already have gotten this story for free. If you never got it for some reason, you can go to the Kickstarter page and download it from Update #57 on February 21, 2013 (you'll need to be logged in).

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 29, 2016