Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

also just basic swearing

oh

i thought that was pinkeye

eww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

more like butt-eye lmao

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

haveblue posted:

escape velocity ruled

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Shibboleths have been used by different subcultures throughout the world at different times. Regional differences, level of expertise, and computer coding techniques are several forms that shibboleths have taken.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_disease

ayyyyyy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is inaccurate, in that tin does not rust; only iron does. This may reflect the usage where an object made of iron or steel but coated with tin (in order to prevent rusting) is called a "Tin" object, as a "tin bath", a "tin toy", or a "tin can"; thus, the Tin Woodman might be interpreted (in English, at least) as being made of steel with a tin veneer. One passage in The Road to Oz, by Baum himself, wherein the Woodman attends Ozma's birthday party accompanied by a Winkie band playing a song called "There's No Plate Like Tin," strongly implies that this is the case. Another explanation may be that the Woodman is chiefly made of tin, with iron joints; in some of the illustrations, his joints are a different color from the rest of his body.[3] In Alexander Volkov's Russian adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Volkov avoided this problem by the translation of "The Tin Woodman" as the "Iron Woodchopper".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the 1998 novel The Tin Man, by Dale Brown, the eponymous protagonist is a power-armored vigilante whom the media and police have dubbed The Tin Man for his physical resemblance to the Wizard of Oz character.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The title track would become one of the band's most famous songs, with the narrator inviting people experiencing problems to either call him on 36-24-36, an actual phone number in Australia in the 1960s, or visit him at his home, at which point he will perform assorted unsavoury acts to resolve said problems. Situations in which he offers assistance include those involving lewd high school headmasters and significant others who are either adulterous or who persistently find fault with their partners.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haveblue posted:

The title track would become one of the band's most famous songs, with the narrator inviting people experiencing problems to either call him on 36-24-36, an actual phone number in Australia in the 1960s, or visit him at his home, at which point he will perform assorted unsavoury acts to resolve said problems. Situations in which he offers assistance include those involving lewd high school headmasters and significant others who are either adulterous or who persistently find fault with their partners.

i know that song :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i wonder if anyone had 1-900-MIX-A-LOT when the song came out

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i never wanted to kick them nasty thoughts though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

syscall girl posted:

i never wanted to kick them nasty thoughts though

Body image can be a serious problem (especially among less-commonly-represented segments of the population, in this case black women). I'm sorry you seem to have suffered from issues regarding this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

Renowned Shakespearean actor-directors Sir John Gielgud, Sir Laurence Olivier and Sir Kenneth Branagh consider the definitive rendition of the play[224] to be the 1964 Soviet film Gamlet

welp, another film to track down a copy of...

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
there's a sizable number of russian critics and scholars who consider pasternak's shakespeare translations the real shakespeare

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sham bam bamina! posted:

there's a sizable number of russian critics and scholars who consider pasternak's shakespeare translations the real shakespeare

Ivans think they invented culture, film at 11.

Seriously, you will never find a bigger bunch of try-hards.

:jerkbag:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wasn’t that a throw away joke in Star Trek at some point but about the klingons?

holy poo poo

guys

the tos klingons were a Soviet metaphor :aaaaa:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FrozenVent posted:

wasn’t that a throw away joke in Star Trek at some point but about the klingons?

holy poo poo

guys

the tos klingons were a Soviet metaphor :aaaaa:

it was a line in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon."

the klingon villain in the film quotes an unusual amount of Shakespeare

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 18, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Lennon delighted in mocking Epstein for his homosexuality and for the fact that he was Jewish.[162] When Epstein invited suggestions for the title of his autobiography, Lennon offered Queer Jew; on learning of the eventual title, A Cellarful of Noise, he parodied, "More like A Cellarful of Boys".[163] He demanded of a visitor to Epstein's flat, "Have you come to blackmail him? If not, you're the only bugger in London who hasn't."[162] During the recording of "Baby, You're a Rich Man", he sang altered choruses of "Baby, you're a rich fag Jew".[164][165]

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
In 2012, early steps were taken to make a robot pass the mirror test.[61]

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Ivans think they invented culture, film at 11.

Seriously, you will never find a bigger bunch of try-hards.

i don't know about whatever cultural thing you're talking about here but "tryhard" is a very good description of a lot of Russian composers. the first time you sit down to try and learn some music by Rimsky-Korsakov or Mussorgsky the universal reaction is to make a progression of expressions that goes :pwn: :stare: :what:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't know about whatever cultural thing you're talking about here but "tryhard" is a very good description of a lot of Russian composers. the first time you sit down to try and learn some music by Rimsky-Korsakov or Mussorgsky the universal reaction is to make a progression of expressions that goes :pwn: :stare: :what:

Agree but muh boi Shosta is still cool.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

She is very naïve and easily abused or even raped by the horny men who surround her, though, being a nymphomaniac, she is not bothered by this.

i visited the new toy and comic book museum in stockholm and was p surprised to find a small display about crumb. not that particular character admittedly, but still odd to see placed between a big poster of the comic book code and an abba toy display.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Agree but muh boi Shosta is still cool.

i like both Shostakovich and the guys i mentioned but they come from different eras. also when you consider that Mussorgsky and the rest of "The Five" lived during the era of like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, i guess the mid-late 1800s was peak russian tryhard time

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
The dead gorilla had 5% support in late July 2016 (ahead of Green Party nominee Jill Stein) and 2% in August 2016 (tied with Stein).[37][38]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The dead gorilla had 5% support in late July 2016 (ahead of Green Party nominee Jill Stein) and 2% in August 2016 (tied with Stein).[37][38]

100% worthful.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lol

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

they missed a real opportunity imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how do they know its incomplete anyway :2bong:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/808764211648200706

not worthless

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
that's been posted like five times and is never any less not worthless :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

that's been posted like five times and is never any less not worthless :allears:

:agreed:

didn't the wikipedia editors get in a fight about "indifferent"?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

prefect posted:

:agreed:

didn't the wikipedia editors get in a fight about "indifferent"?
IIRC yes; "The penguin's attitude towards the music is purely conjecture" or something equally hilarious.
E:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

missing the game boy version? worthless indeed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Soricidus posted:

missing the game boy version? worthless indeed
dont sign yuor posts

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
In 1931, the writers began to reveal a "cringe factor" side to their creativity, which would increase over time:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trees often have a substantial mass stored above ground. Trees and tree parts can and do fail, and this mass is converted to kinetic energy. These failures can cause substantial damage and occasionally result in the death of a person.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a sort of endearing stupid that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i think that one might be deliberately stupid