Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, ended up getting the Ryzen 3600 with an Asus Prime X570 Pro. Took me longer than I care to admit to set everything up, but it's up and running. I'll start with the game testing shortly. :v:

Thanks everyone who chimed in and put up with my endless questions. :D

One last question before I leave: What's the normal temperature for this CPU and stock cooler? My slightly OCd 6700 with an Evo 212 would idle at ~30~35 C and hit ~60-65 during heavy load, but right now this baby is idling at ~50C. Did I screw something up while mounting it or is it normal?

Try checking it with cpu z if you aren't using that specifically. Other software can prevent idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also update to the latest bios if you haven’t done so already. Also, double-check that you’re set to “Windows balanced” rather than “performance” as your power plan.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I built an i9 system last week and just kind of grabbed 32gb of RAM from Amazon without thinking too much about it: "Corsair LPX 32GB DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit for DDR4 Systems" Is this a bad selection? I don't even think its the advertised C15, and I don't mind spending a bit more to get the most out of the i9... shopping around I think I could bump it up to 3600 before the prices get absurd. Should I even bother? I'm not looking to be a benchmark hero or anything, but if I made a sub-optimal choice it's better to change it out now while I can return it.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know anything about ryzen so I won't make any comments on your build but these days it seems like the mobo, GPU, etc come with a lot of nice branded velcro ties for cable management. I still needed a couple ones for things here and there.
Great idea, I'm so used to seeing people use zip ties that I never thought about using velcro ties for cable management inside cases. It so happens that I have a few extra velcro ties lying around for general cable management purposes.

Mu Zeta posted:

Does your case really need to be that cramped? I know it looks good but if you get something basic like the Thermaltake Core V1 there's plenty of breathing room for everything. You'll be fine with the stock cooler as well.
Yeah, it does need to be that cramped if I plan to have it in a carry-on bag. I might be able to jam a Core V1 in it but that'd be the only thing I'm carrying.

Getting RGB on my RAM wasn't intentional, I thought it was the cheapest kit, guess I wasn't looking hard enough. Will also definitely go with your recommendation of EX920 and not replacing the stock CPU cooler. I've done a bit more reading on the Node 202 cooling situation and apparently the best thing to do is to have fans exhaust hot air from the case, so even with the Gigabyte, I'd have to remove the fan and shroud. This means I might go with the ROG Strix recommendation.

MikeC posted:

Besides what Stickman has pointed out if you want to consider shaving off more dollars, MemoryExpress has Ryzen 2600 going for $164. They are also offering a R5 3600 + Asus TUF B450 Mobo combo for 369.99. Unsure if they pre-flash the Mobo with the new bios though.
That 3600 and B450 combo is a really good deal, unfortunately it's not a Mini ITX mobo.

Additional questions:
Does removing the shroud and fan void the warranty?
If I decide to stretch my budget and get a 2.5" HDD, what would be the recommendation for about 80-100 USD?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

VelociBacon posted:

Try checking it with cpu z if you aren't using that specifically. Other software can prevent idle.
I'll take a look, but I'm using HWInfo64 which afaik works?

Stickman posted:

Also update to the latest bios if you haven’t done so already. Also, double-check that you’re set to “Windows balanced” rather than “performance” as your power plan.
I did and I did; clock won't go down from ~3mhz even on "power saver"; installing the chipset drivers gave me a "ryzen balanced" power option, but that has the cpu power minimum at 99% which ?!!?!?.

/edit: I'll take it to the AMD CPU thread, I just noticed we have a dedicated one. Thanks again everyone!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'll take a look, but I'm using HWInfo64 which afaik works?

The post by AMD awhile ago only gave CPU-Z as a solution for this so I'm not sure.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Power supply: Corsair TX550M
Mobo: B450M Pro 4-F
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 TI

Problem: won't boot, won't post. I've unplugged all the peripherals, tried with 0/1/2 sticks of RAM, behavior is exactly the same: powers up, all fans including GPU fans turn on, runs for ~28 seconds, powers off for two seconds, repeat. Disconnected the power pin and used the screwdriver trick to power on, no change, so no short in the chassis power cable. When I had a monitor plugged in on my first try, I could see it getting some sort of signal since it woke from sleep but nothing ever actually appeared on screen

Not sure what to do from here - unseat the CPU and reapply thermal paste to rule out a heat issue? Pop out CMOS battery for a while? I have an old Corsair 750w power supply but it's 7 years old and definitely out of warranty, no other spares to speak of

Edit: I should mention all parts are brand new

kumba fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 5, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kumba posted:

Problem: won't boot, won't post. I've unplugged all the peripherals, tried with 0/1/2 sticks of RAM, behavior is exactly the same: powers up, all fans including GPU fans turn on, runs for ~28 seconds, powers off for two seconds, repeat. Disconnected the power pin and used the screwdriver trick to power on, no change, so no short in the chassis power cable. When I had a monitor plugged in on my first try, I could see it getting some sort of signal since it woke from sleep but nothing ever actually appeared on screen

Not sure what to do from here - unseat the CPU and reapply thermal paste to rule out a heat issue? Pop out CMOS battery for a while? I have an old Corsair 750w power supply but it's 7 years old and definitely out of warranty, no other spares to speak of

What model RAM?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

Best advice is to make sure your GPU and CPU are seated correctly, and making sure all power cables are properly secured. Clear CMOS, check RAM again. Check QVL of your motherboard to see if RAM is compatible

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

What model RAM?

GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

Lube banjo posted:

Best advice is to make sure your GPU and CPU are seated correctly, and making sure all power cables are properly secured. Clear CMOS, check RAM again. Check QVL of your motherboard to see if RAM is compatible

Roger that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, ended up getting the Ryzen 3600 with an Asus Prime X570 Pro. Took me longer than I care to admit to set everything up, but it's up and running. I'll start with the game testing shortly. :v:

Thanks everyone who chimed in and put up with my endless questions. :D

One last question before I leave: What's the normal temperature for this CPU and stock cooler? My slightly OCd 6700 with an Evo 212 would idle at ~30~35 C and hit ~60-65 during heavy load, but right now this baby is idling at ~50C. Did I screw something up while mounting it or is it normal?

I had a similar problem. My Ryzen 2600 would idle at around 50 as well. I went into the BIOS and used a fan tuning feature. It just runs some tests automatically and then determines a fan curve. It made it more aggressive than the default and now I idle at 35. The default cpu cooler setting was at around 1100 rpms and it boosted it up to ~1500.

The software I use to check the status are Ryzen Master and HWInfo. Both give identical readings.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 5, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
So I unscrewed my CPU heatsink and when I pulled it out, the processor came out with it without me lifting the lever, that's definitely never happened to me before but I've never done that to a heatsink with freshly applied thermal paste.

Maybe this means it wasn't seated properly? I installed it exactly as the specification said to with the arrow pointed away from the lever and the lever was lowered in the proper place

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's fairly common with AMD. The "retention" lever just holds it by friction. It's not a solid lock like Intels. As long as you pulled straight up it should be fine.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Good to hear. I assume I need to somehow separate the CPU from the heatsink in order to reinstall it? I can't put the whole thing back with the lever up since the heatsink is in the way

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah grab the cpu by the sides and give it a light wiggle/twist. Then clean it up and reapply the paste fresh just to be safe. I use a qtip and rubbing alcohol to clean the cpu and the cooler.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Next question: I would have assumed my mobo would ship with a CMOS jumper but it's not in the parts list and I certainly don't see one. I assume I can just flathead screwdriver trick the jumper just like power?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kumba posted:

Next question: I would have assumed my mobo would ship with a CMOS jumper but it's not in the parts list and I certainly don't see one. I assume I can just flathead screwdriver trick the jumper just like power?

That's correct. You could also remove the CMOS battery for 20 seconds or so to be safe and I'm pretty sure that does the same thing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

fixed, should have followed goon instructions instead of box instructions. Thanks!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 5, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LLSix posted:

This isn't working. Lights on mobo come on and all the fans, including on the CPU spin up, but monitors (plugged into the GTX 1080) don't show anything. Not even bootup screens. Want to eliminate the obvious first.

Is not having power to the second set of CPU power pins an issue? I think this is the issue part picker warned me about and I was told was not a problem.

ram cards are in the 2 & 4 slots because part of the default cpu fan overlaps the one slot (I could rotate it 180 degrees and be able to access the 1 & 3 slots)

I did not update the BIOS because the mobo box had a sticker saying it is AMD Ryzen 3000 desktop ready and the instructions that came with the cpu say that means I didn't need to flash the bios.

I'd first try removing the GPU and connecting your monitor to the motherboard directly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're using 2 sticks of RAM they have to be in the A2 and B2 slots so I wouldn't change that.

VelociBacon posted:

I'd first try removing the GPU and connecting your monitor to the motherboard directly.

Does this work if the 3600 has no GPU?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No it doesn't.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Does this work if the 3600 has no GPU?

Oh right, whoops. It wouldn't.

e: LLsix maybe reseat the RAM, sometimes people don't push them down hard enough.

e2: Sounds like you have multiple monitors hooked up - I'd just hook up 1 for now just to limit how many variables are in play.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 5, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd try updating the bios anyway with the usb flash feature.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

According to the support page they had an update last month that "improves memory compatibility." I don't know when your mobo was manufactured so it could be a factor.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 5, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Pretty sure you need both power connections bud.

Edit. To be clear I recall reading several posts elsewhere where people suffered instability with this board with just the 8 pin and ryzen 3000.

Also could be a bios issue where they didn't flash the B450 board with the Ryzen 3000 compatible bios?

Edit2. Good to hear!

MikeC fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 5, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd try updating the bios anyway with the usb flash feature.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

According to the support page they had an update last month that "improves memory compatibility." I don't know when your mobo was manufactured so it could be a factor.

This fixed it. Thank you!

Box lied, I should have done what goons told me to do from the start.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MikeC posted:

Pretty sure you need both power connections bud

He should be ok without it. 99.999% of people don't need the extra extreme overclocking.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Reseated CPU after replacing thermal paste. Took out video card, removed CMOS battery for a half hour. Put battery back in, reinstalled video card. Still same exact behavior.

Is the light on the GPU supposed to fade in and out during startup like this? Notice the CPU fan LED stays constant but the video card doesn't

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/QFHI1j2

Edit: unplugged GPU from the power supply just to see what would happen, no change at all, then fully removed it, same thing

kumba fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 5, 2019

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Stickman posted:

Shouldn't it be on Ryzen Balanced if hes got the newest chipset drivers?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

Reseated CPU after replacing thermal paste. Took out video card, removed CMOS battery for a half hour. Put battery back in, reinstalled video card. Still same exact behavior.

Is the light on the GPU supposed to fade in and out during startup like this? Notice the CPU fan LED stays constant but the video card doesn't

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/QFHI1j2

Edit: unplugged GPU from the power supply just to see what would happen, no change at all, then fully removed it, same thing

CPU went in okay with the arrow pointing towards the lower left corner?

You don't seem to have the case jumpers attached in that picture? Not sure if that would cause the problem but maybe?

It bothers me that it won't even POST. Try hitting the DEL key, maybe its POSTing but not showing on the monitor? If there isn't an OS installed it will just power cycle infinitely, do you have a windows boot USB anywhere?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
CPU went in just fine and yeah arrow bottom left

I disconnected the case jumpers just to rule those out

I plugged most of the stuff back in and tried a bunch of different USB ports with my win10 installer and still nothing different. Just power cycles every 30 seconds for eternity

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

grimcreaper posted:

Shouldn't it be on Ryzen Balanced if hes got the newest chipset drivers?

I was using Ryzen Balanced, but it was doing gently caress all for the frequency or temp.

Turns out I was doing two things wrong, may be useful to someone down the line:

1) There's something going on with how the CPU reports frequency, neither HWInfo64 nor CPU-Z pick up the actual values, only Ryzen Master picks up the correct frequency (between 500 and 700 mhz when idling, while HWInfo was still saying ~3000).

2) AMD CPUs have two temp sensors, tctl and tdie:

From a bit of googling, I got:

quote:

The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy.

So Tctl is used for controlling the fans, but the core temp is actually tdie (Tdie in HWInfo matches the temp reported by Ryzen Master), and tdie is quite a bit lower than tctl.

I also ran the fan optimizer from the bios, which bumped the curves a bit. My
CPU is now idling at 30~35C, and it's hitting 70-72 while under load, which seems to be mostly fine considering it's the stock cooler.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow I literally cannot get my ryzen to go under 1.5ghz even in power saver mode.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
I pulled the trigger on my build and immediately got buyer's remorse over the shitshow that is updating the motherboard BIOS to support Ryzen 3600 without having an older gen AMD CPU on hand. With the quotes for BIOS flashing given by shops, it almost made me wish I had paid 100 extra and gotten an X570 board.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Reformatted my USB boot drive and recreated it just to be safe, no dice
Plugged the keyboard back in to try and hit DEL on startup but it doesn't have power, which maybe is weird because the USB stick lights up

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Might as well try your 750w psu before you start the RMA process

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Amazon has the 3900X in-stock for $499.99 if anyone is looking.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A dumb question that I probably already know the answer to, but does it matter if the RAM I buy isn’t on the QVL for the motherboard? I’m looking at name brand RAM but the QVL only lists the more expensive stuff with heat sinks and RGB LEDs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mr. Apollo posted:

A dumb question that I probably already know the answer to, but does it matter if the RAM I buy isn’t on the QVL for the motherboard? I’m looking at name brand RAM but the QVL only lists the more expensive stuff with heat sinks and RGB LEDs.

Not really.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
RAM not on the QVL may not be able to reach its full sticker rated speeds (which are usually an overclock), but all RAM should work at the JEDEC standardized speeds and timings. In the case of DDR4 the JEDEC speed for the majority of the kits out there is 2133 MHz and should work in any motherboard regardless of the QVL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Installed a Wraith Max cooler on my Ryzen 3 2200G today, with the pre-applied paste. Doing a Prime95 small FFT test right now and it's been locked at around 74-75C for the past 10 minutes or so. That's fine right? Idles around 32-34C with the fan at ~1400 RPM.

[edit] Temps are at stock speeds; no OC on anything. I was worried because the Wraith Max is a clamp style cooler, and during the install process the HSF shifted up a little bit after briefly making contact with the CPU when I was lining up the clamps before locking in. But quick search is telling me my temps are fine.

[edit 2] ~30 mins in and temperature hasn't budged from 74-75C. Going to let it run for another 30 mins.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 6, 2019