Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It is seeming more and more like "ALIENS" is going to be in our future.

Kinda curious if we're going to end up fighting the Final Fantasy equivalent of the Anti-Spirals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
We're gonna get a Spirits Within expansion, just you watch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DanielCross posted:

Spirits Within and Mystic Quest tagging off for an expansion, let's watch Yoshi-P And Co. perform the mother of all brand rehabilitations

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

the_steve posted:

Kinda curious if we're going to end up fighting the Final Fantasy equivalent of the Anti-Spirals.

Chrono Trigger expack :pray:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DanielCross posted:

i would sit through whatever horrible bullshit they'd have to dig up for that if it meant the theme tune was soken with l'arc-en-ciel

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

the_steve posted:

Technically, we just DID.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

in the bizarro universe warrior main cleretic sees an all-healer alliance raid pf and gets insanely mad at the disrespect against tanks by the coward cbu3

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
a slap in the face, I tells ya

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

joining a rubicante ex farm party with only one tank where the very cool and sexy scholar or sage just put big shields and mits on a dps to survive the tankbuster: i can't believe tanks are being devalued yet again

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

They keep making us less relevant, but we keep getting the best questlines! Who's the true winner?

...oh, right, Dark Knights in both.

Do more EX and Savage

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm not the only one who did Crystal Tower during ARR and then stared in total nonrecognition when the reveal in Shadowbringers happened right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NachtSieger posted:

Do more EX and Savage

No thanks. Don't find them fun enough to do of their own volition, and don't find their rewards interesting enough to do for their sake.

OhFunny posted:

I'm not the only one who did Crystal Tower during ARR and then stared in total nonrecognition when the reveal in Shadowbringers happened right?

My vibe was basically 'oh yeah him, I guess'; the optional dialog options before that point reminded me he existed, but I still didn't really care when the reveal hit.

I still think G'raha was the decoy reason for them making the Crystal Tower compulsory, though. I think they wanted to use a bunch of the worldbuilding around the Crystal Tower raids--most notably Amon and the World of Darkness--but couldn't without making that mandatory, while actually making that mandatory out of nowhere would look super weird. So, they use the Cute Boy Distraction; make G'raha a main cast member the same time they make it required, let everyone assume that those are just a one-to-one thing, and then build entire stories about everything else they just forced us all to remember exists.

It's really clever, and I honestly don't think they could do it again. Not even because we're wise to it and would over-focus on the entirety of any questline they did that with, but because I think most other 'blue quest' storylines are way too focused, they don't introduce enough separate elements to pull that sleight of hand. The only storyline they could maybe pull that with would be, like... the Ivalice raids, possibly? Bait us with either More Ivalice Stuff or auracite, and then slip in a bunch of the other and also some Garlean citizenry stuff?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 31, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NachtSieger posted:

Do more EX and Savage

No don't do this cleretic, just shut up about the healer designs that you don't know poo poo about.

Had a rub of the new dungeon where the tank died constantly because they didn't move fast enough and the dos and I still cleared the fight. Clearly tanks should be deleted from the game.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

OhFunny posted:

That was me, I didn’t remember anything about the CT story by then.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I might not have, had I not watched a video or two where someone (I think it was Ethys) brought G'raha Tia up again pre-ShB after seeing the mysterious cloaked figure and the Crystal Tower. I certainly didn't remember the name until someone else said it. That planted the idea that it could be "the guy from the Crystal Tower quests".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't remember G'raha at all until I went back and watched the CT cutscenes again, after the CT showed up in the trailer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm on Tumblr a lot and my dashboard was suddenly flooded with catboy when Shadowbringers came out, and as someone who didn't play MMOs I want "oh neat he's made of crystals" and carried on my day.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Also, I see a lot of folks going 'Oh, Lahabrea sat in the livestream watching that happen' but unless I'm gravely mistaken, we have no confirmation where Lahabrea's soul actually is in modern times (but we know it is whole) The Lahabrea we interacted with was a 'modern day' soul with Lahabrea's memories imprinted on it, right? Doesn't mean that we will get more Lahabrea. It's possible that 'get absorbed by Pope sword, then the resulting Primal gets beat up' = 1 ticket to the lifestream anyway, but if Lahabrea's soul was in the lifestream, he either didn't feel like showing up, or more likely, already finished the 'losing memory' thing and is gone.

Or it's still hanging around in the lifestream. Not necessary, and perhaps they're done with Ascians, but the Heart of Sabiq is still 'being studied' and we haven't seen Lahabrea's transformed self yet. And I must admit that while I understand Ascian fatigue, I'm still curious about some more exploration of 'ARR Lahabrea'

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly feel like Lahabrea was simply "eaten" by Thordan the same way Leviathan ate that one Sahagin Priest back in the ARR Patches. The Acian Lahabrea is gone, been sent through the soul scrubber, at least until I see evidence to the contrary.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I can’t think of a calamity from the skies that impacted the Ancients and is associated with the number 7, myself.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

BlazetheInferno posted:

I honestly feel like Lahabrea was simply "eaten" by Thordan the same way Leviathan ate that one Sahagin Priest back in the ARR Patches. The Acian Lahabrea is gone, been sent through the soul scrubber, at least until I see evidence to the contrary.

A safe assessment at this point, I don't expect to see any more of Lahabrea going forward.

The Heart fells more like a plot coupon that might be used for giving us more trouble down the road not related to Lahabrea himself, but instead to however XIV decides to implement Ultima.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
We are kind of lucky that the Ultima weapon already had the heart of sabik installed. Cuase could you imagine if Nero had his obsessions turned up to 11. He would be even more insufferable.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

OhFunny posted:

this was absolutely me. i did all the alliance raids on my way through msq, and i made it to and through the shb main plot literally a couple weeks before they made CT mandatory. i definitely got to sit there looking at our boy going "wait, who are you again?"

i also don't think i was doing roulettes much at that point, mostly just living off the msq xp, so i didn't have regular alliance-raid-shaped reminders about the eorzea-side tower, either

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it'd be hard to both remind people who he was and also not give it entirely away that he's the exarch as soon as he shows up

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember there was a lot of theorizing (and possibly datamining) over the identity of the Exarch, with G'raha Tia's name coming up a bunch. And seeing as he was the only male character with ties to the Crystal Tower that wasn't evil and dead (or part of a set, like Doga), it seemed like a reasonable assumption to make.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I remembered pretty quickly when the preview materials started showing the crystal tower, and you can ask the exarch if he found graha during their time machine work.

However, I was pretty sure that the exarch wouldn't be graha tia.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My guess was Nero, possibly in a clone body.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Yeah I was 100% on Cid or Nero right up until the reveal, doubly so because they play the ironworks theme for the talk with him before gulg. Kind of sad it wasn't Cid, he could have used something to be more interesting

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Admittedly I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who played everything through shadowbringers in one streak, but I still can't believe that anyone who did remember Graha Tia existed didn't figure out he was the Exarch immediately. It didn't seem to me like the game was even trying to hide it.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I had finished Crystal Tower a year before, but the moment the trailer started featuring the Crystal Tower and it became plain that there was a dude associated with it, my immediate thought was that of COURSE it was the catboy that sealed himself in there. I didn't remember every single detail of the raid plot, no, but I did remember the broad strokes of big tower, go to the void, catboy go bye-bye.

Like if there was a 5 year gap since you last ran it I can imagine forgetting a little something, but that was big plot! It was pretty decently written and kinda exciting! It had good characters in it! At the very least, spotting where we were going would have to light the spark in the corner of the brain that once engaged with that poo poo, resulting in going and looking up what did happen during the raid, if you're the theorizing sort?

ANYWAY ENOUGH ABOUT THAT, phase two of P12 has been reached, clips are floating around and the music's out there! It's Space Ultima!
Ivalice 2: Ivalice Harder!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

at the time I figured there was no way they'd bring out a character from completely optional content out like that but I Know Now, and it's also why I think they can do whatever they want with old raid characters and just go back and flag them as required. eden required for 6.5 lock it in.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Vitamean posted:

eden required for 6.5 lock it in.

If they ever do make something MSQ mandatory again, we will very likely see it signaled several patches in advance. I know that leading into Shadowbringers, updates and announcements for FFXIV going "Please consider doing the Crystal Tower raids right now! Go here! Talk to this guy! We mean it! Do that content! It's good!" were very regular. It was only at 5.3 that they made it mandatory, but they very plainly wanted to push people to do it well beforehand because it would absolutely enhance the experience.

Tons of people didn't do it anyway for a variety of reasons, oh well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm predicting that it'll be something like "if you did the extra stuff, they'll be present" like the one 6.0 cutscene. May even be more involvement.

My real wishlist item would be for the extra characters to be added to the Duty Support roster.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I was following the leaks for Shadowbringer and although he was coy at first BLUFever ramped up to "it's G'raha Tia, just straight up" by the end.
But also when people were analyzing the Crystal Exarch model from patch 4.56, at least one person mapped it to being a male miqo'te before the game even came back up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There was some pretty wild CSI going at the time. People saying the exarch's chin matched G'raha's chin and using that as a match.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think most people who remember well enough or have done it semi recently will suspect that the Exarch is Raha. It’s fine because it simply becomes a question not of “who?” But “why?”. Why is he the Exarch? What lead him to this? And why is he trying to hide who he is from us?

There is still plenty of mystery surrounding the Exarch even if you realize who he once was.

[Edit] for example, I suspect Sanguinia will instantly sus out who the Exarch is.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I was in a weird spot where I had completed LotA and Syrcus, but not World of Darkness, so I wasn't getting any of the G'raha related dialogue choices. Apparently I had watched the cutscenes on YouTube at some point and forgot to actually finish the raid series myself! So I knew who he was but didn't get to call him by his name. :(

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
There was literally no one else it could be, and if it was a new character hiding his identity would be pointless.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I started playing in 5.55, so I got the "Do the Crystal Tower" thing long before Shadowbringers content was on the horizon for me. But the crystal tower being on the First was kind of a clue that the cystal tower was involved somehow. I don't think I 100% knew it was G'raha but I suspected it enough that I spent some time getting the camera to clip through his robe to see if he had a tail (he didn't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think most people who remember well enough or have done it semi recently will suspect that the Exarch is Raha. It’s fine because it simply becomes a question not of “who?” But “why?”. Why is he the Exarch? What lead him to this? And why is he trying to hide who he is from us?

There is still plenty of mystery surrounding the Exarch even if you realize who he once was.

[Edit] for example, I suspect Sanguinia will instantly sus out who the Exarch is.

Yeah the "who" is super obvious. "How" and "why" are the mystery of the crystal catboy.