Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

bony tony posted:

There are giant mythical owls? What is this, FEZ?

Except good.

Come to think of it they aren't really mythical- you see taxidermied specimens hanging from the ceiling when you break into a natural history museum...twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I missed this when I first played Celeste but apparently Madeleine's dark alter egos name is Badeleine and I love it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Somehow I missed this when I first played Celeste but apparently Madeleine's dark alter egos name is Badeleine and I love it

It's not in the game proper, it was revealed by the creator somewhere else (probably twitter) and everyone was ok with that because it's perfect

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Astral Chain is a garish kitchen sink of a game and has far too many half baked systems for anyone sane to call good design, but it's a joy to just let it wash over you sometimes

What're the bad systems?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wait what? Is this something that comes up in Death of the Outsider or did I miss it somewhere else?

"an in-game book posted:

Once the curtain has been lifted, it becomes inescapable that we inhabit a world adrift in a sea of howling chaos, a terrible maelstrom in which all heavenly bodies orbit a devouring core. Though the trip could take many thousands of lifetimes, all cosmic objects are eventually dragged into this hungry nexus and forever cease to be.

Though they are moved by eddies in the celestial medium, stars offer guide points in the otherwise perilous blackness. Our own sun holds its planets close in our inexorable course toward oblivion, giving us life and warmth until the end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Once I get past all the prose, what I’m getting from that is:

1. We’re in a galaxy full of stuff orbiting a giant black hole

2. Someday black holes will be all that’s left

3. Our planet and the others in our solar system orbit around the sun, which sustains us.

Which is all true in our reality, so why not in the Dishonored universe?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

What're the bad systems?

there aren't really *bad* ones so much as an overwhelming amount of things thrown in just because. An incredibly detailed camera mode for no purpose, blade mode from Revengeance but worse, roughly five different ways you need to level up (cop points for health/energy, gene points for Legions, abilities for Legions, money for weapons which also unlocks new moves in a linear order for whatever reason, I think something else I'm forgetting). And all the odd goofy side stuff like dressing as Lappy for a day or collecting cats or having Pokemon Amie. I don't have a problem with any of it! It's just a very... messy game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Not everything has to be dour and serious 24-7 in a game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Watching the GB quick look where they’re forced to spar with someone while wearing the mascot costume and later get assigned to investigate a “haunted dumpster” significantly raised my interest tbh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Astral Chain is an Evangelion game that remembers Evangelion had scenes like Asuka and Shinji being bad at DDRTwister and Kensuke acting out a war movie in an empty field for no reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not everything has to be dour and serious 24-7 in a game.
I get that but it would be cool if, say, the ice cream balancing minigame had its development time spent on not having the second half of every level spent in a featureless boring maze of grey blocks

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I get that but it would be cool if, say, the ice cream balancing minigame had its development time spent on not having the second half of every level spent in a featureless boring maze of grey blocks

It would be cool if that's how dev time worked, but alas, we live in the real world

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cleretic posted:

Astral Chain is an Evangelion game that remembers Evangelion had scenes like Asuka and Shinji being bad at DDRTwister and Kensuke acting out a war movie in an empty field for no reason.

Because they're just loving regular dumb kids, living in the world their parents Totally hosed Up for them..

:smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ariong posted:

3. Our planet and the others in our solar system orbit around the sun, which sustains us.

yeah that just looks like your standard-issue nihilist acknowledgement of inevitable entropy

see also: night in the woods' "hole in the center of everything"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

You missed the part where they say the black hole is gonna devour all cosmic objects.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cleretic posted:

They even remembered the wacky animal mascot.

Mokinokaro posted:

On top of this since it's a futuristic scifi world the traffic lights are augmented with holograms across the intersection. A red barrier when it's not safe and a green highlight across the street (combined with stop barriers for traffic) when it is.

It's sharp and something I could easily see being done in real life if we get the tech.

We already have the tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTMC-uxJoo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

yeah that just looks like your standard-issue nihilist acknowledgement of inevitable entropy

see also: night in the woods' "hole in the center of everything"

I also have a memory of Piero’s lab having a drawing of celestial bodies swirling around the hole but I don’t have dishonored installed at the moment and it’s harder to google for an image

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Googling “gaping black hole gets stuffed” should work for what you’re looking fir

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Add 'bbc' into that search, I'm sure they've done a documentary on it or something.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

World War Mammories posted:

I also have a memory of Piero’s lab having a drawing of celestial bodies swirling around the hole but I don’t have dishonored installed at the moment and it’s harder to google for an image

That was a Portal reference.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

It's some piece of fanfiction spun from a single book entry from the first game IIRC. Because every single thing written down in-universe can't just be straight up wrong or from an untrustworthy source.

Personally I'm more into the giant owls seen in 2 and DotO.

Hey, fanfiction spun from a single book entry from the first game gave us "the Outsider is a gigantic whale" which is way cooler than "the Outsider is a dumb kid who got sacrificed thousands of years ago"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In The Ninja Warriors on SNES, one of the ninjas you can play (named Ninja, of course) as is loving huge and uses rockets to dash around the level. He can hover for a second but he cant jump normally. The other two can jump all they want, and on the character select screen it shows that they're roughly 200 lbs while Ninja is over 1500 lbs. I just appreciate there being a reason he cant just jump :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It is hilarious that the least agile of the ninja warriors is the one called Ninja.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Danaru posted:

In The Ninja Warriors on SNES, one of the ninjas you can play (named Ninja, of course) as is loving huge and uses rockets to dash around the level. He can hover for a second but he cant jump normally. The other two can jump all they want, and on the character select screen it shows that they're roughly 200 lbs while Ninja is over 1500 lbs. I just appreciate there being a reason he cant just jump :v:

I remember that game! drat good sprite art for the time, and a fun little beat 'em up. :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

It is hilarious that the least agile of the ninja warriors is the one called Ninja.
Maybe it's the only word he can say

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They're apparently releasing an HD version of that game on Switch, but with two new characters, co-op play, and they brought Zuntata back so Daddy Mulk will be blasting throughout :tem: I'm so goddamn excited

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hey, fanfiction spun from a single book entry from the first game gave us "the Outsider is a gigantic whale" which is way cooler than "the Outsider is a dumb kid who got sacrificed thousands of years ago"

Yeah this was super duper boring where "massive magic whale fucks with human events as revenge for its dead bretheren" is in fact not.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Double Punctuation posted:

They even remembered the wacky animal mascot.

We already have the tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTMC-uxJoo

That's pretty cool!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly any attempt to give the Outsider a backstory or explanation cheapens him but yeah the official one drops the ball hardest. He's the devil, that doesn't need more explaining. We all know what the devil is about.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

The ending of Death of the Outsider was truly abysmal. Both of em.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"I'm a whale, here's your powers!"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly any attempt to give the Outsider a backstory or explanation cheapens him but yeah the official one drops the ball hardest. He's the devil, that doesn't need more explaining. We all know what the devil is about.
The Outsider has sucked since the beginning in his actual appearances. He's fine in lore but Christ who designed that character and who elected to double down on it in 2

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing through Darksiders 3 and it’s just okay and has its faults but one of the things I’ve really enjoyed is when you’re using your fire power, any water you come in contact with puts it out.

If you dive into a pool of water there’s a satisfying “tssss” and smoke as the fire goes out. If you try activating it under water the same thing happens “tsss” and a little smoke and the power won’t activate. It even goes out if you walk under a waterfall or small stream of water.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite little thing about Three Houses is, outside of timed missions, its like the only eastern turn based strategy game that doesn't judge you on turn time. Its refreshing after Valkyria Chronicle's "You didn't use a scout to run the to the enemy base in 2 turns? D rank, scrub."

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Leal posted:

My favorite little thing about Three Houses is, outside of timed missions, its like the only eastern turn based strategy game that doesn't judge you on turn time. Its refreshing after Valkyria Chronicle's "You didn't use a scout to run the to the enemy base in 2 turns? D rank, scrub."

Hell yeah. The last map on BE took insanely long.

I hate ranking systems in general but that’s another topic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They do it in basically every game but I love how EDF 5 presents its final missions and just goes to loving town with it

Earth is blown to gently caress. The alien motherships are unstoppable. Billions are dead. You just found out that the few holdouts who went for broke in North America have failed to kill the mothership there. All is lost.

Oh wait a minute what the gently caress is this, shouts everyone

There's still a squad left! Holy gently caress! It's blowing the gently caress out of the ship! Jesus Christ! The intel officer is shrieking some insane thing about the Egg of God and Kill God Dead and the commander is flipping out that not everyone got owned while the insaner mad scientist officer is declaring herself the new god because of her mega laser and here you and whatever is left of the NPCs are, in the middle of rubble, shooting the hell out of a spaceship that exploded into the first boss from Rez and a Bullet Hell's nightmare baby.

You did it you won holy gently caress we showed the aliens they aren't invincible and we were here even if they're still going to genocide us and oh wait a sec

Is that God

God is coming down from On High to murder you with kamehamehas and meteors because you blew up his space ship and are stopping him from saving earth from climate change, apparently.

Now the intel officer has totally lost it and is hysterical that God Himself is annihilating humanity and the science officer is demanding literally any human beings still alive (not a lot of them) just throw their bodies at God, we don't have any guns or armor left so gently caress it just punch God in the dick if you can, we're hosed, just do it, and the commander is wailing in horror that EDF is gone (except your squad) and that that's all that's left to do.

Then I, in a gigantic robot that was still around, rain fists on God, nailing him in the face and balls until he died.

That's a lot of words for the little thing so the little thing about EDF I adore is that it does not shy away from the game being apocalyptic and that over 110 missions, you're mostly losing, Earth is hosed and you're losing contact with the rest of EDF bit by bit until it's down to you and the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in a duel to the death. And you're just some no name civilian.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Came across another thing in Darksiders 3 I liked.

In the past two games, everything you do to progress the game seemingly comes in threes. Get these three swords, unlock these three doors, etc.

Early on in the game you have to collect three swords to open the next area. Fury comments on it something like

“It’s always three isn’t it? Couldn’t the builders be a little more original?”

The Watcher you have following you acts like you’re crazy and then they move on. But then the rest of the game (so far) there hasn’t been any more “collect three items” quests

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Bloodstained and one thing I really like is how you only have to craft something once and after that it is just for sale in the shop. Which is nice for food crafting because so much of it is made out of smaller parts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really like how every single person in Fire Emblem: Three Houses recoils in disgust when they take a sip of tea. Finally a game brave enough to admit that nobody likes tea.

RareAcumen posted:

What're the bad systems?

Instant fail stealth sequences. This is in reference to Astral Chain but it applies to videogames in general.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Instant fail stealth sequences. This is in reference to Astral Chain but it applies to videogames in general.

Do these happen beyond case 6? Or maybe it's because I'm on casual, but I thought it was nice that when I was spotted I could just say "gently caress it" and go loud.