Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dont be mean to me posted:

Isn't the bottom screen TN no matter which way or something?

Both screens can be IPS. And I actually have a bottom IPS, top TN. the difference is noticeable, and if you've ever used an IPS panel for a monitor it's hard to go back to cheap TNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hope you're looking forward to a $50AUD LAN adapter!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Both screens can be IPS. And I actually have a bottom IPS, top TN. the difference is noticeable, and if you've ever used an IPS panel for a monitor it's hard to go back to cheap TNs.

Are there codes or something for identifying them? This intrigues me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

You can tell by looking at them, or if you're able to run homebrew, 3DS ident can query the hardware and identify based on manufacturer and such.

Generally if you can't tell, though, don't try to find the better IPS displays. It can be a case of "you don't know what you're missing" and ruin you once you see the difference. Just be happy with what you have.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

VideoGames posted:

Me.

Let's try not to post creepy anthropomorphic dog art.

The gif with the red background is fine. The ones with the dog dressed up in dominatrix gear or sexualised buttocks is not.

I also dislike the fact that I just typed out that sentence.

Nep would be very disappointed in you

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Both the Wii and Wii U have power adapters like that but the DS and 3DS have ones with larger plugs. I assume this is a Nintendo internal design thing.

I'm just gonna get a generic USB C cord off of amazon for cheap and use that to charge it through a laptop/power supply anyway, personally.

That's what I did with the Wii U gamepad and it worked pretty well so far.

No such thing as a "USB C" cord my man, you gotta read up or you'll gently caress yourself

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

VideoGames posted:

Biggest obvious difference is viewing angles, if your colors turn to poo poo when you look at the screen from certain angles then you're stuck with TN

I got a top-IPS+bottom-TN n3dsxl, thankfully

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I got a top-IPS+bottom-TN n3dsxl, thankfully

I think I have this.. top screen looks pretty good from all angles.
Bottom screen gets greyish when looking at an angle.

Looked it up and that looks about right

Left is TN top+bottom. Right is IPS top and TN bottom, which is what I have.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So, is Switch IPS or TN?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm just gonna get a generic USB C cord off of amazon for cheap and use that to charge it through a laptop/power supply anyway, personally.

Don't do this.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/google-engineer-leaves-scathing-reviews-of-dodgy-usb-type-c-cables-on-amazon/

You will damage your poo poo slowly overtime and it will die just when the warrantee runs out.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 27, 2017

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
I never really cared about the IPS/TN thing, but i decided to take a look since this gets brought up at least once a month. It turns out i have IPS on top and TN on bottom.

I can also confirm there's no noticeable difference between the screens when you're not looking at an angle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this the thread where we can gently caress dogs?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Is this the thread where we can gently caress dogs?

Goodness no.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

well why not posted:

So, is Switch IPS or TN?

The demo units all are IPS. It's probably cheaper now to get a decent IPS screen this size than a lovely TN one. They fall off the conveyor by the millions for smartphones after all (even though even the low end migrates to 1080p now).

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Ironically it may turn out the cheapest time to buy the switch will be at launch if Trump Tariffs go into affect and vent if they start manufacturing them here they will probably have to increase the price of the system.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

I've only heard of the Switch having one type of screen so far, a 6.2" IPS panel with something like 330 PPI. Supposedly looks really good in person. 1080p would've been nice; hopefully most/all current smartphone displays don't put it to too much shame. Eh, it's also less than half the price of most of the smartphones that would, and it'll play actual good games.

Unlike on the 3DS where it doesn't matter because all of the screens suck anyway, I hope Nintendo doesn't flub it this time by having different panels. The thought of a game as contrasty and vibrant as Splatoon 2 constantly looking washed out due to gyro controls sounds like some bad fake news waiting to happen.

If that number is true, the Switch has a significantly higher PPI than an iPad Pro, or iPad mini even. I don't think 1080p are all that necessary for that screen size outside of Smartphone spec wars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are phones with 4K screens because people see huge numbers and jizz their pants. 720p will be fine.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, the screen has been getting very favorable reviews from the people who have seen it irl.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Been watching ebay to see how the scalpers are doing. Looks like around $400 for the system (still plenty of days left on the auctions since they can't have them end outside of a 30 day window from release...item has to be shipped within 30 days on ebay) but the surprising one is the Zelda Master edition. $250-350 it seems like which is crazy to me. Also pro controllers for $200, :wtc:

Not sure if I'll sell mine and just wait and buy it later, yet. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/824925932498456576

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That stage looks great. Good god.

https://youtu.be/yt4KG9ib8S4

Edit: That line for Dragons Quest.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 27, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jimmy Hats posted:

Finally Nintendo acknowledges all the shitter gamers
Zero Escape trilogy confirmed for Switch.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The new flap: https://www.amazon.co.jp/FRONT-COVER-Nintendo-Switch-%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/B01N125DYN/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cojawfee posted:

There are phones with 4K screens because people see huge numbers and jizz their pants. 720p will be fine.

This. On a 6" screen, things like framerate and anti-aliasing make much more sense than ~twice the pixels~

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Dammit, meant to post this tweet:
https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/824940925474332672
Quick visual comparison with the PSP and Nintendo Switch cases.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I apparently have IPS screens in my n3DS suck it losers

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wish he'd have held it up against a DVD or Blu-ray sized case... I forget how a PSP case compares.

Regardless, bigger than the 3DS or Vita sized cases it should have probably targeted.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Imagine being the dude at the counter in Gamestop when one of you goons wheels a whiteboard into the room and gives a 45-minute lecture about IPS vs TN panels, then insists that you should be allowed to open the box and check the viewing angles in case you have to get a different one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Imagine being the dude at the counter in Gamestop when one of you goons wheels a whiteboard into the room and gives a 45-minute lecture about IPS vs TN panels, then insists that you should be allowed to open the box and check the viewing angles in case you have to get a different one.

It's alright, retail workers aren't people

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

this is terrible.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have an IPS Gameboy Colour

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What does the case look like compared to a laser disc?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I have IBS

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jimmy Hats posted:

I have IBS

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope the Switch gets Bloodstained. I'd buy an extra copy for the system if they do that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I know ports aren't thrilling to a lot of people, but I kinda want Catherine on the Switch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I want the pink one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I know ports aren't thrilling to a lot of people, but I kinda want Catherine on the Switch.

While we're naming dream lists, I hope Switch gets the "true ending" version of Persona 5 in like 4 years, a la P3 FES or P4 Golden.

Hey Switch Thread! Talk to me about Disgaea. I really liked the "idea" of Disgaea back when the first one was out, but it required way too much grinding to keep my attention, where I had to grind stats on the items so I could grind stats on the characters, then prestige them and grind again.
Has the series pretty much stuck to that? Will I eventually reach a "gently caress this" point in Disgaea 5 for similar reasons?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

VideoGames posted:

I want the pink one.

:japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am so serious, that is so my style.

• Locked thread