Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Taintrunner posted:

I'm not gonna tell anybody what to think, but it does seem pretty funny that people talk about some lefty subreddit in hushed tones and then every time someone attempts some epic brutal Medium takedown it only grows more popular. So I checked the top posts of the past month out of curiosity and it's, like uh, here:

1. The kickstarter quote about how unions are being misappropriated
2. A shitpost about Marx using the word retarded
3. A window sign about "we welcome all" and "restrooms are for customers only"
4. A sociology professor talking down to a working class person for a road sign that said "men working" and then posting a selfie about it on Twitter
5. The term "microaggression" being appropriated by the NYT to attack Ilham Omar
6. Magic isn't real, lol
7. The Japanese right-wing defending whaling by saying the West is engaging in culinary imperialism
8. Ridiculing that epic Medium takedown of stupidpol
9. Brie Larson for being a comic book Air Force propagandist
10. How Dow Chemical Got Woke
11. Referring to Israel as Palestine is transphobic
12. Drones are queer
13. The "full time freelance" recipe job posting getting busted
14. Ridiculing the CTH reddit for liberalism
15. Making fun of someone on Twitter for saying anyone who reads stupidpol needs to be tracked down and booted out of DSA

So do with that what you will.

I’m sad that I understand most of the twitter references in this list.

also “culinary imperialism” is a quality username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

amazingly dumb

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll do you one better, one of the top fifteen posts of all time on /r/stupidpol is uh. ridiculing a white man for talking down to a black woman about bernie and telling her to "take a drat seat"

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

look, that poster’s flair LITERALLY says strasserite and i see no reason not to take that at face value

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

a trotskyite strasserite is truly the most powerful form of online leftist

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i would like to take this time to point out that the Soviet union had excellent results with local solutions to a global problem, enough that it inspired revolutions in other places. Counter revolutions are apparently hard to pull off if you just get tired of playing softball and either kill all the capitalists or throw them into a labor camp

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
calling other leftists I don't like "harmful degenerates" in my opening paragraph to uh, own who exactly??? didn't get the memo on this one

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 10:04 on Apr 7, 2019

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone dm peter a link to this thread so we can be in the next medium post

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SoellerPower/status/1114570920717422593

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

🏴

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
is amber a’lee frost not your queen? you sure revere her as such

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

look, that poster’s flair LITERALLY says strasserite and i see no reason not to take that at face value

Anybody that uses that flair would be immediately suspect to me just from how many people I've known who jokingly reffered to themselves as communists and later accepted that they're been gibbering psychopath tankies all along (this is me, I fully accept), or how Nazis couch literally everything in layer after layer of irony to disguise their true intentions and this makes them more and more Nazi as time goes on.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Anybody that uses that flair would be immediately suspect to me just from how many people I've known who jokingly reffered to themselves as communists and later accepted that they're been gibbering psychopath tankies all along (this is me, I fully accept), or how Nazis couch literally everything in layer after layer of irony to disguise their true intentions and this makes them more and more Nazi as time goes on.

Ah yes, I'm sure the Islamo-Kautskyo-Trotskyo-Strasserite is really all those things secretly.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

well i’ll agree that you’re gibbering

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Taintrunner posted:

I'll do you one better, one of the top fifteen posts of all time on /r/stupidpol is uh. ridiculing a white man for talking down to a black woman about bernie and telling her to "take a drat seat"

ill do you one a billion times better their current stickied post is advertising their ama with jesse singal today. Stupidpol sucks poo poo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vhak lord of hate posted:

ill do you one a billion times better their current stickied post is advertising their ama with jesse singal today. Stupidpol sucks poo poo

lol yikes

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

can i get a list of people who as a believer in left politics i am not allowed to talk to? it's very difficult for someone who is not terminally online to keep up with

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

a Loving Dog posted:

can i get a list of people who as a believer in left politics i am not allowed to talk to? it's very difficult for someone who is not terminally online to keep up with

Jesse Singal writes TERFy articles for the Atlantic, this is not some great mystery, he’s well known for it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

talk to anybody who's offline. dont talk to anybody who's online, including this thread.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Jesse Singal writes TERFy articles for the Atlantic, this is not some great mystery, he’s well known for it.

okay. so i read the stupidpol thread about it and they seem to be having a bit of an issue with this stuff as well. so i think writing off a sub based on hosting someone who you disagree with about trans issues is kinda dumb, especially when the sub clearly isn't in full agreement on those issues either.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

a Loving Dog posted:

okay. so i read the stupidpol thread about it and they seem to be having a bit of an issue with this stuff as well. so i think writing off a sub based on hosting someone who you disagree with about trans issues is kinda dumb, especially when the sub clearly isn't in full agreement on those issues either.

Oh I don’t read this poo poo either way, I gave up Reddit last year because it’s just a dumb website. I just think hosting Jesse Singal is a pretty poo poo thing to do and he has nothing of value to say for leftists.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

well i hope they challenge him on that poo poo in the AMA then

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
chapo literally had tradcaths on and the went from letting the crank rant > challenging him > yelling at the dude for being a piece of poo poo
If it's good enough for dsa chairqueen Amber, it's good enough for our official dsa reddit imo

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/DSANorthStar/status/1114965602492461056?s=19

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
is maria part of north star?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

freckle posted:

is maria part of north star?

idk but North Star is full of old people so I'm sure a lot of members know her from before the DSA blew.up

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

a Loving Dog posted:

don't feel bad op, i haven't been able to follow what people are talking about with the last several pages of twitter/reddit/caucus drama either

and I'm online as shiiiiiit

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I don't really what stupidpol is but at this point I hate it and everyone apparently obsessed with it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I don't really what stupidpol is but at this point I hate it and everyone apparently obsessed with it

reddit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the biggest thing on stupidpol by far is the appropriation of woke language by capital which I feel like gets a hell of a lot of play here so it’s funny to see Twitter people say stupidpol is gonna incite mass shooters and every user needs to be doxxed and exiled from DSA

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jesse singal is a dumb idiot so theyre bad now

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the comments were calling singal out at least and reading another thread about trans issues they were arguing TERFs are awful for doing idpol from the right, which is an interesting take to consider.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

the biggest thing on stupidpol by far is the appropriation of woke language by capital which I feel like gets a hell of a lot of play here so it’s funny to see Twitter people say stupidpol is gonna incite mass shooters and every user needs to be doxxed and exiled from DSA

yeah ive been seeing people freak out about it for months now, but after reading your long post about the top threads there and then going to read it myself for a bit, it seems people are being incredibly histrionic about the entire thing. almost like these extremely online (mostly twitter, from what i can see) leftists can't deal with any criticism from the left, to the point where they will paint leftists as nazis if they don't like what they're saying

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If coining a term is a thing then where's the coin at??? Needing to commemorate this term and add it to my coin collection!!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200?lang=en

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
if you take the average age of North Star caucus members you get someone who qualifies for social security benefits

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

if you take the average age of North Star caucus members you get someone who qualifies for social security benefits

Are you saying...they're already dead?

I'm sorry

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

oh my god i'm at the NABTU legislative conference (this is the building trades thing that trump appeared at a few years back)

their keynote speaker this year? jamie fuckin dimon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If we could adopt most/all of this as our officially endorsed positions at the convention that would be pretty cool

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1115107635324444672