Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Valeyard posted:

ruby is real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm just saying that in my many years of programming i've never had to parse a uri that wasn't a url

now igi

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

weird posted:

i'm just saying that uri.parse should not throw an exception on a valid uri (it does throw on an invalid uri), and that calling it silent failure is objectively wrong

i get you and with some thought i agree.

the real dumb poo poo is that using uri.parse and then nil testing is the accepted way to parse urls in ruby

so what i'm saying is

Valeyard posted:

ruby is real bad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no you're actually just extremely long

nice of your mum to give you trip reports on her dates

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

This made me lol: https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/114426/actively-seeking-artisanal-javascript-engineer

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ipv6 is a new technology, lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pulling really big (big enough to not want on disk/in ram) data sets from the internet
var fromWeb = new StreamReader(new GZipStream(HttpWebRequest.Create(url).GetResponse().GetResponseStream(), CompressionMode.Decompress));
while (!fromWeb.EndOfStream)
{
var x = fromWeb.ReadLine();
}

what a good stdlib

i love c#

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

had a truly terrible programmer moment where i was doing

foreach(var butt in collection.Select(a => a.fart).Distinct())
{
foreach (var x in collection.Where(a => a.fart == butt).GroupBy(a => a.whatever, b => b))

this is an idiot's reimplementation of a dictionary and it is very slow
using an actual dictionary, butt in collection.Keys, and collection[butt] netted a 99.5% speedup

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
you could iterate over .Values if you just need the values or the collection itself if you need both

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ruby is really bad and postgresql is really good

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Bloody posted:

pulling really big (big enough to not want on disk/in ram) data sets from the internet
var fromWeb = new StreamReader(new GZipStream(HttpWebRequest.Create(url).GetResponse().GetResponseStream(), CompressionMode.Decompress));
{
}

what a good stdlib

i love c#

looks like python if you squish it and squint your eyes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bloody posted:

{
}

what a good stdlib

i love c#

i'm thinking about doing similar with a java/scala project for crunching big data with some algorithms my lab has developed. most of these algorithms are in C/C++, so i'm thinking about using named pipes instead of program arguments so I can stream 300MB+ pictures to the programs instead of loading them onto the disk somewhere. does anyone have experience using linux/mac named pipes for a program?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Condiv posted:

...crunching big data ... 300MB+...

what kind of computer are you using that your working set, even assuming it was 10x as big, doesn't fit into RAM?

EDIT: if you're just trying to do something to learn it that's fine, but if you need something to go faster you should probably say

1. where your data is
2. where your data needs to be
3. how parallel are your algorithms
4. what you are actually doing

FamDav fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 2, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FamDav posted:

what kind of computer are you using that your working set, even assuming it was 10x as big, doesn't fit into RAM?

EDIT: if you're just trying to do something to learn it that's fine, but if you need something to go faster you should probably say

1. where your data is
2. where your data needs to be
3. how parallel are your algorithms
4. what you are actually doing

a good portion of our datasets will fit in ram considering we have 128GB (not a ton, but more than your typical desktop at least). some of our algorithms have really nasty memory growth characteristics that mean that a 300mb image file input can balloon into 12GBs of ram usage easily, so trying to control ram usage is pretty important. also, the program i'm making needs to run uninterrupted for as long as possible.

1. data is on a 60TB server in our lab
2. data needs to be on a calculation server that has a much smaller harddrive
3. algorithms are parallel over the permutation of their inputs (if i input images 0-99 and a setting theta from 0.2 to 0.9 by 0.1, then i have a max of 800 threads for a single processing request) unless specifically disabled in someway by the algorithm. each processing request can therefore spawn a ton of threads
4. image analysis mainly

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Condiv posted:

does anyone have experience using linux/mac named pipes for a program?

I would guess that a named pipe would look the same as a normal file, from within Java. I don't know if NIO stuff would work (because I've still never used it!), but reading from a FileInputStream until it runs out should work, I'd think.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

CPColin posted:

I would guess that a named pipe would look the same as a normal file, from within Java. I don't know if NIO stuff would work (because I've still never used it!), but reading from a FileInputStream until it runs out should work, I'd think.

you could try treating a named pipe as plane old file but running out of bytes doesn't mean that you've loaded the whole file, just that you've emptied the buffer of the pipe. a named pipe is just a named buffer. two readers of the same pipe means two readers with partial data.

you'll need a means to distinguish one image from the next image. typically you'd either rely on the particular image format at the cost of being fragile or add headers and/or footers.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm just saying that in my many years of programming i've never had to parse a uri that wasn't a url

your browser parses uris everytime you type something in the address bar because i doubt you type http or https

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
are you using an nfs? something like sshfs should handle streaming and caching for you without having to janitor pipes.

as for controlling ram usage, there's no substitute for fixing/optimizing the actual program but if you're looking to run multiple native applications in parallel without fighting each other for ram and cpu then you're going to want to look into using cgroups. the jvm won't do this for you by default for native code, but since its java i'm sure someone has made a library to do it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Condiv posted:

i'm thinking about doing similar with a java/scala project for crunching big data with some algorithms my lab has developed. most of these algorithms are in C/C++, so i'm thinking about using named pipes instead of program arguments so I can stream 300MB+ pictures to the programs instead of loading them onto the disk somewhere. does anyone have experience using linux/mac named pipes for a program?

these should probably be memory-mapped read-only so the virtual memory system can handle paging everything in and dumping unneeded pages on demand

this will have the added benefit of allowing the memory to be shared automatically among multiple processes, since it's just a matter of mapping specific read-only pages into multiple tasks' address spaces

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i'm the ml algorithm that leverages 40x redundancy to analyze an image for reasons that were devel9oped IN A LAB

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brain Candy posted:

you could try treating a named pipe as plane old file but running out of bytes doesn't mean that you've loaded the whole file, just that you've emptied the buffer of the pipe. a named pipe is just a named buffer. two readers of the same pipe means two readers with partial data.

you'll need a means to distinguish one image from the next image. typically you'd either rely on the particular image format at the cost of being fragile or add headers and/or footers.

In general, the algorithms will get one or two images each, and each image will have its own variable/pipe. so distinguishing the images from each other shouldn't be an issue. if I understand correctly, if I write to the named pipe and then close the writer that should put an eof character in the pipe letting the client algorithm know that the stream is finished right?

FamDav posted:

are you using an nfs? something like sshfs should handle streaming and caching for you without having to janitor pipes.

as for controlling ram usage, there's no substitute for fixing/optimizing the actual program but if you're looking to run multiple native applications in parallel without fighting each other for ram and cpu then you're going to want to look into using cgroups. the jvm won't do this for you by default for native code, but since its java i'm sure someone has made a library to do it.

iRODS. its some weird file database thing. i can grab inputstreams to files on irods and pipe the file into an outputstream targeting a named pipe so that nothing touches the disk.

for the cgroups, yeah i've been looking into that and stuff like docker and rkt for running the applications inside. supposedly someday we're gonna run semi-trusted code on this server, so i'm hopeful i can use containers for isolation without incurring all the overhead of VMs.

eschaton posted:

these should probably be memory-mapped read-only so the virtual memory system can handle paging everything in and dumping unneeded pages on demand

this will have the added benefit of allowing the memory to be shared automatically among multiple processes, since it's just a matter of mapping specific read-only pages into multiple tasks' address spaces

the only problem i can see with this is that it looks like the processes themselves would have to be written to take advantage of the mapped memory. is that correct?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
oh my, this was a delicious read

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Condiv posted:

the only problem i can see with this is that it looks like the processes themselves would have to be written to take advantage of the mapped memory. is that correct?

at least theoretically, it should still help if only some of the processes can mmap an image, because those that do a normal read will still get their "copy" of the data from the unified buffer cache

for reads of data already in memory for another process, the VM system could conceivably just map the pages into the reading process too and mark them copy-on-write

an mmap doesn't even have to do the latter, because by mapping the data read-only a write to a mapped page can just be treated as an error and no accommodation for copy-on-write needs to be made

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

:chord: reading about null object pattern

really should start diving more into smart programmer things like this. would make my life so much easier

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

patterns are dogma

Bloody posted:

patterns are dogma

this post is also dogma

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

b0red posted:

:chord: reading about null object pattern

really should start diving more into smart programmer things like this. would make my life so much easier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_Object_pattern

oh so it's a formalized version of silent failure

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

how does a modern language (in this case c#) not have a math.percentage method?

int percentage = (int)((((double)top) / ((double)bottom)) * 100.0);

is some scrub tier bullshit, what am i writing here? loving lisp?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

BattleMaster posted:

oh so it's a formalized version of silent failure

no, it's just a really lovely version of the option monad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
because doing arithmetic in percentages is loving dumb when you have perfect accuracy decimal fractions?

the only reason to ever convert something to a percentage is when you want to display it to the user, and c# does in fact have a format specifier to do that.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the real question here is why are you doing that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I never seen math.percentage before I mean what the gently caress it's just multiplying by 100 lmao

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

BiohazrD posted:

no, there's no polish notation :colbert:

the actual bullshit is that typecasting

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Asymmetrikon posted:

no, it's just a really lovely version of the option monad

well i have to use ruby so it's a lovely version i need sometimes

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

BiohazrD posted:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1790975/format-decimal-for-percentage-values

because percentages are locale dependent formatted strings?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
ladies and gentlemen, i present to you, "the userbase of leftpad():"

BiohazrD posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wheany posted:

lemao

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

guys last week i had to convert from degrees to radians by hand, without using a built-in library function

truly i have suffered the most

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

idgaf, make my life easier not harder thats what libraries are for

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Wheany posted:

this is supposed to be a safe space for bad programming, let's not get too vicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the appeal of what you want is limited enough that several people can't think of a reason why it needs to be standard

if it really does come up that much for you suck it up and write a function that does it and it would have taken you less time than you needed to bitch about it on the internet

• Locked thread