Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I beat Dead Space yesterday, I continued to love it all the way through. There's nothing really substantial I thought was a bad change, and most changes felt like substantial improvements. I don't think there's any reason I'll ever start up the original version again, which is about the highest praise for a remake.

I decided to give DS2 another shot next, and it's pretty interesting to go directly from a game that is good looking for 2023 to a game that is good looking for 2011:

I'd completely forgotten it was in good old 4:3, I'll need to see if I can get some kind of widescreen fix up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can definitely play it in Widescreen and bump the resolution. Also turn off Vsync to uncap the frame rate. I think those games default to like, low settings too. Bump everything up and it still looks amazing especially for an 11 year old game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah the games vsync caps it to 30 fps.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm so used to games doing their presets that I went out looking for a widescreen mod before I thought to go back and look through the visual settings. Bumped things way up and it's much better than the crappy settings it came up with on its own.
Also, after playing a while, I'm impressed by how similar the load times in the 2023 game are to this one, those devs did a good job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought 'you the player' was the true monster...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At least Chris Avellone had a hand in some classics before hitting his expiry-date in 2020.

A horror game where you wake up with amnesia in an abandoned, ruined building, only to gradually discover you're a well-known videogame director who attempted to launch a new franchise.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What the hell happened with DreadOut 2? Yikes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Yeah the games vsync caps it to 30 fps.

One thing that sucks (matters less now) is that in Dead Space 1 turning off Vsync causes all sorts of crazy physics bugs because I guess it was designed around 30FPS. You'll have stuff in the environment pinballing all over and Necromorphs getting launched into oblivion if you play it at 120 FPS, but it looks so nice. Dead Space 2 fares much better with just an occasional wonky bit and DS3 is fine.

I read that they didn't even have to option to turn off Vsync until like 2 years ago when someone quietly added the option in, and before that mods were the only way to play at more than 30fps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Disposable Scud posted:

What the hell happened with DreadOut 2? Yikes.

Not like the first game was a polished masterpiece

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

devs designing gameplay physics around fixed frame intervals instead of however high your FPS can get seems to have been more art than science back in that generation, although maybe there were CPU limitations that i don't know about

still loving funny seeing necromorph corpses briefly getting possessed by the spirit of gmod

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vermain posted:

devs designing gameplay physics around fixed frame intervals instead of however high your FPS can get seems to have been more art than science back in that generation, although maybe there were CPU limitations that i don't know about

still loving funny seeing necromorph corpses briefly getting possessed by the spirit of gmod

There are absolutely reasons why you want physics to always be at the same fixed interval, but that also doesn't have to be the same as the framerate. But certain gamedevs just didn't care enough, for the same reason they were fine with PAL games running at 5/6ths speed up until the PS360 era when that stopped being relevant.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

From what I understand fixed-step physics is relatively new. I imagine a proprietary engine built from RenderWare from the 2006 PS2 game Godfather and using Havok for physics calculations didn't have (or more accurately didn't need) frame-independent calculations as they just assumed every platform would run it at 30. This was also a problem with the original Super Meat Boy (also an original engine) and Bethesda's Creation engine (76 is an MMO where looking down makes you move faster it's wild).

Unity and Unreal can calculate the time elapsed since the last frame so this is just an unfortunate relic of old and dusty engineering.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

al-azad posted:

From what I understand fixed-step physics is relatively new.

The blog post everyone always links to to explain the concept (https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/) is from 2004, so not really new even if there are more modern tweaks. It's just that as you say: for console games it doesn't really matter especially when PC ports were an afterthought or non-existent . On the other hand stuff like Fallout 76 are built on decades of technical debt, and changing your physics and rendering backend is a lot of work, especially when it mostly works and/or you already have a reputation for janky games.
Fittingly I'd say horror games is one of the genres it can really matter, because it means fewer instances of wonky physics leading to unintentional deflation of tension.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
It's not technically a horror game (or is it???), but my partner and I are looking into splitting a Steam Deck and I wanna try Northern Journey. :getin:

(I strangely have a phobia of scorpions but not of spiders. :shrug: Like, spiders are gross but I can handle playing games with 'em. Meanwhile seeing scorpions make me feel nervous and itchy all over. :stare:)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm very nervous playing Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah (where the spiders literally drop down in your face) but Northern Journey spiders are considerably monstrous to not trigger me. Same deal with Skyrim spiders.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not have phobias

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Hel posted:

The blog post everyone always links to to explain the concept (https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/) is from 2004, so not really new even if there are more modern tweaks. It's just that as you say: for console games it doesn't really matter especially when PC ports were an afterthought or non-existent . On the other hand stuff like Fallout 76 are built on decades of technical debt, and changing your physics and rendering backend is a lot of work, especially when it mostly works and/or you already have a reputation for janky games.
Fittingly I'd say horror games is one of the genres it can really matter, because it means fewer instances of wonky physics leading to unintentional deflation of tension.

The sound I most associate with playing Dead Space is the wet, meaty flapflapflapflap of a severed limb doing its own thing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going back to the RE7 saved the genre convo we really dodged an El Gigante sized bullet

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1623141920309678081

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alan Wake 2 is now "playable from start to finish"
Cool, I had no idea where they were in production, they're close to moving into polishing the experience.

Also interesting, the Alan Wake Remaster hasn't had a net profit yet. That's sad, hopefully it'll get a sales bump as the sequel gets closer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They should maybe consider putting it on Steam if they want it to sell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have high hopes for AW2 because the first one was such a waste of potential, and remedy clearly want it to be their tentpole franchise

they need to at least give it as much personality as Control

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh dang, I forgot they threw in with Epic. Well, :rip: sales numbers I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remedy seemed to like working with Epic for Control, the exclusivity helped them make back much of their production cost and it became the first actually profitable game for them in like ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do wonder if Hades would've had the same popularity if it didn't have like a year and a half to test the waters on Epic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also interesting, the Alan Wake Remaster hasn't had a net profit yet. That's sad, hopefully it'll get a sales bump as the sequel gets closer.

I didn't even know they had an Alan Wake Remaster. lmao

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Managed to finish up DSR finally after learning the secret to stopping crashes was switching to the Power Saver plan on my PC to throttle the cpu enough that the game couldn't cause my PC to soft crash. I guess if anyone else was having that issue I would give that a try.

Great game, will probably do another run through.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Evil Kit posted:

Managed to finish up DSR finally after learning the secret to stopping crashes was switching to the Power Saver plan on my PC to throttle the cpu enough that the game couldn't cause my PC to soft crash. I guess if anyone else was having that issue I would give that a try.

Great game, will probably do another run through.

New Game+ gives you a cool suit that almost looks like you're wearing the Jason X hockey mask. After he gets his upgrade.

In 2012 I gave up on Dead Space 2 at the last boss fight - I think I went into it with low health and in my hubris had deleted all the previous saved games, so couldn't backtrack to an earlier chapter.

Today I beat the bloody thing after starting it when I finished DSR. It's funny seeing my achievements being 11 years apart. DS2 is amazing though, it doesn't look its age at all and playing it at 60fps on console is a delight. I don't think a remake is needed though: FPS boost makes 30fps games feel so different.

I'll start Dead Space 3 soon and see why it killed the franchise. Anyone have memories of that one to share?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll start Dead Space 3 soon and see why it killed the franchise. Anyone have memories of that one to share?

There's definitely some fun, but my main memories aren't so good. Aggravation at the outdoor area design and especially at a recurring boss that's just annoying. Also, the switch to checkpoint saves. My one run ended maybe 2/3 of the way through after a run of bad play left me without enough ammo or money to continue without more extended backtracking that I was not interested in doing, I'm still mad about that.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

al-azad posted:

Going back to the RE7 saved the genre convo we really dodged an El Gigante sized bullet

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1623141920309678081

Now deleted; what was it?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Agent Escalus posted:

there was supposedly some internal capcom documents detailing the original planned RE6.5 that would've involved leon and sherry hopping around europe, using RE6's core gameplay mechanics, before it was scrapped and RE7 took its place

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Play with a friend, and watch as they squander one of the few good opportunities they had to make DS3 at least somewhat unique.

It's bad. Real bad. The fact is it's a perfectly mediocre title that basically dumps on the last two games via a very mediocre plot and just absolutely horrible character writing, the worst of which is Ellie's character assassination. Especially if you're just coming fresh off Ellie being a fantastic character who is independent, takes care of herself and holds her own to a totally useless damsel-in-distress.

There are some new enemies, like Faster Slasher but it's axes instead of bone blades, and Just A Human With A Gun. The environments could have been cool, but then you realize so much gets copy-pasted you might find yourself doing double takes and be struck by a sense of deja-vu as you wonder if you hadn't already been somewhere that's actually new already.

There's a couple of cool set pieces, and the weapons system is kinda neat, but overall it's just, ugh. Frustrating. It's worth an experience if you can get it super cheap, and def recc playing it with a friend so you have someone else to suffer with.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

This is what's being referenced in the first posts (though the blog has more in it).
https://lewa-art.blogspot.com/2013/11/resident-evul-7.html

A working capture on Wayback.
Here's the tweets for ease of reference, though.

quote:

(1/3) There's a lot of Resudent Evil news to cover today.

First of all, concept art of Resident Evil 6.5 was finally discovered online from this artist: https://lewa-art.blogspot.com/?m=1

It was a scrapped version of RE7 that played similar to RE6, but Leon & Sherry in a fictional Europe

quote:

(2/3) city, loosely inspired by Venice, Italy. It had a water-based BOW focus, "Choice" moments where time slowed down & you'd have a period to make a choice of some kind (TellTale inspired), there was a polished 30-60 minute demo of the thing made in late 2012-Late 2013, but it

quote:

(3/3) eventually got scrapped in favor of the idea to go back to the series roots with the RE7 we know & love.

Artist has worked on a lot of games & movies, mainly Ubisoft, but actually has worked on every Resident Evil game since RE4. He even has some 3.5 artwork, Village, etc.

quote:

BONUS) Credit to
@project_umb
for stumbling on the art, it went past most before today until News Bot stumbled on it today.

The details on RE6.5 are from myself, I think first tweeted about it in 2018.

Here's an early Baker House concept art piece he also did:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It looked kinda neat. They were in fake Venice and the enemies were going to be water-based?

efb.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'd like to see that RE7, but it definitely looks like it would've just been the series continuing to meander along like 6 without reexamining itself like it thankfully ended up doing.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I played through it with a friend and loved it because things would appear that only one person could see depending on who was having a psychotic break at which time. We played through a second time switching characters and still had fun. I played it all by myself 2 or 3 years later and hated it.

In conclusion, Dead Space is a franchise of contrasts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played through again it just a couple of months ago and it's not all bad, but it's often bad. It looks as good as DS2 if not better and the gameplay feels good, I like the locations, but everything is drawn out and too long. It feels very padded. And the encounter design is bad. And the story sucks. But if you just want more dead space it mostly delivers unlike say, Resident Evil 6. It's like 20+ hours long and half of it is due to there being 200% too many necromorphs in every encounter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Suddenly I want a Dead Space game centered around an unexpectedly fun roster of wrestling-based melee moves

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's called Callisto Protocol and it's not good.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I never knew I needed Chris Redfield punching a boulder in Dead Space before now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chris Redfield punching a boulder but it’s a necromorph planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The ADS would never have had to be reactivated if Chris was on the Ishimura.