Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Scuttler is one of the cooler looking sets I've seen in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mad it's not called Bat-Crab, but other than that it's basically perfect

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It should be called the Bat Bat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm amazed that someone turned a bat vehicle into a walker and it's actually using how bats walk as a reference.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Big Ben build report:

We just finished building the set. It took 7.5 hours total over several evenings with 2 people.
Unlike Tower Bridge, which has a similar parts count, the bags here are kinda numbered in batches. 3-5 bags will have a number from 1-7. This makes it a little easier as this build contains so many 1x1x1/3 parts you would go insane.

Overall compared to the tower bridge this build looks skinnier, but I'd very cool to see finished. However, there are a lot of flimsy connections and so many diagonal across straight pieces that you need to do a lot of adjusting the final build to get straight lines.

The instructions were the usual lego stuff but in some cases there were steps you could easily merge without impacting the legibility of the instructions.

I'd say the idea for the model is an A, the use of parts also an A, instructions get a B, build process is a B and the model "stability" is a C+, as a lot of parts can be easily knocked off due to flimsy connections like fixing a 1x8x1/3 flat to the facade with only 2 connections at stud 3 and 8.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Friends amusement park stuff is really cute and cool. Would it be getting more attention if it wasn't aimed at girls?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The Friends amusement park stuff is really cute and cool. Would it be getting more attention if it wasn't aimed at girls?

I came close to buying the roller coaster before I realized that the tracks were 6 wide instead of the normal 8 wide. Looks like 6-wide were only used in a Joker funhouse, the alien conquest mothership, and an Indiana Jones set.

I wanted a more varied Holiday Train route, but they're incompatible. And I'm guessing the train couldn't handle elevation changes that sharp, come to think of it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I definitely lingered on those pages when flipping through the catalog. Ultimately I wasn't interested enough to devote the time/money/shelf space to a new line. They are cool looking sets though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

UCS Sandcrawler is $63 off at Amazon, and it's retiring soon. Lots of other stuff 20% or more off, too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Humble Bundle has a whole bunch of lego books in a bundle.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Next years Nexo stuff looks great. They've moved on to purple lightning monsters (still that Jestro guy but now he is purple and yellow). It's stuff like yetis and ghosts and the like, along with a couple of the old guys but purple.

The five main characters are all getting chunky mechs. Those aren't so amazing but I'm getting strong Mixel vibes off them. I hope prices are reasonable, mixel thing and minifigure in a cheap set would be nice. fake edit: ha, one of the brick set guys thinks they look mixelly too, I swear I thought that before I read the article

Also it looks a bit like they might be going with more colours for the knights, with their vehicles being similar colours to them now rather than all blue. Not entirely sure on that because the new vehicles look to be for the blue one and the white one.

Not exactly going to excite anyone who isn't a fan of the theme already, but it seems to be continuing pretty strong.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yellow Submarine is an ok build, nothing really new or noteworthy. The model itself looks really nice though.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Didnt see this here yet

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure. 603 pcs. Will have 3d interactive building instructions. January 1st release

http://brickset.com/article/24421/42063-bmw-r-1200-gs-adventure-revealed!

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
All their new technic stuff looks cool as heck for next year.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/11/09/lego-technic-sets-for-2017-include-science-ship-monster-truck-news/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jeff8472 posted:

Didnt see this here yet

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure. 603 pcs. Will have 3d interactive building instructions. January 1st release

http://brickset.com/article/24421/42063-bmw-r-1200-gs-adventure-revealed!

I hope they put out a 2002 or something eventually.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Holy poo poo an RC Lego car. Has that been done before? I've never seen it!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Finished the holiday train and I really kind of like it. It feels and looks like one of those old train sets you would get in the 1950s, and it looks great.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Apparently there's been a bunch of them over the years. I remember wanting this ancient thing as a kid but it was too drat expensive.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well that's as close as I'll be getting to own a GS for a long time, so I'm all over that.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

There are several. I have the 9398 4x4 Crawler, which was a fun build and looks great. It moves at like 0.01 MPH when you drive it though.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
That RC tracked car is screaming for a tank modification.

I have enough motorized technic sets from 2014+ that I could probably take some stuff apart and build a kickass tank with working turret aiming.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It says it is an RC, but... to what extent? Does it have a real RC-type engine? I don't expect something really fast, but at least faster than Ineptitude's 0.01MPH?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Humble Bundle has a whole bunch of lego books in a bundle.

Came here to ask for recommendations on this. I'll definitely go for the middle tier, but is the $15 tier worth it? I'm really only interested in books that have instructions, in some degree. Books like Lego Architect seem to be more just coffee table material. Looking at the descriptions, it actually looks like only Steampunk would fit that category.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Revol posted:

It says it is an RC, but... to what extent? Does it have a real RC-type engine? I don't expect something really fast, but at least faster than Ineptitude's 0.01MPH?

Came here to ask for recommendations on this. I'll definitely go for the middle tier, but is the $15 tier worth it? I'm really only interested in books that have instructions, in some degree. Books like Lego Architect seem to be more just coffee table material. Looking at the descriptions, it actually looks like only Steampunk would fit that category.

It's my understanding the neighborhood/city book, whatever it's called, was written by the original designer of the modulars and is a resource for designing your own.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Reminder to anyone thinking about buying Lepin or other Chinese knock-off brands from AliBaba, tomorrow is 11/11 aka Single's Day in China (the world's biggest online shopping day) and there will be sales on everything. Many of the Lepin vendors already have reduced prices posted that will be in effect soon.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Revol posted:

According to the box it uses 2 medium power functions motors and judging by the rear view on the back of the box they're just connected straight to the wheels without any gearing. So I guess it goes however fast a medium motor is. I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to add some gearing to adjust the speed.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
via Brothers Brick:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nice.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well, we did just elect President Business.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Gamestop is going to have Dimensions Starter Kits for $40 on Saturday ($30 for 360/PS3).

Walmart's got the same deal for Black Friday, but they'll also have Level & Team packs for $14 (normally $25-30). Target will also have the Starter for $40, Fun Packs on BF for $10 (it also says Team, Level and Story Packs on sale, but doesn't list their pricing). Best Buy is save 'up to 55%' on all Dimensions stuff. Starter packs also at $40.
TRU, Fred Meyer, and Amazon don't have any Black Friday ads available yet (and of course Amazon's is probably going to be confusing enough to follow).

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 11, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now I'm tempted to buy a dozen of that dimensions set just for the heads. Just gotta wait for a clearance sale. :qq:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lego finally disassociates itself from right wing rag, the Daily Mail

Electromax
May 6, 2007

But who is Lepin advertising with?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Electromax posted:

But who is Lepin advertising with?

The Daily Maol...

(I'll get my coat)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Good on them. I will pass on my commendation to "Lego spokesperson Roar Rude Trangbaek".

Edit: mods please change my name to the above.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 12, 2016

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hooray for more politics! Just what we all needed!

Marmaduke! posted:

Roar Rude Trangbaek

That's a pretty drat great name.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

Hooray for more politics! Just what we all needed!
I mean, they're right. The daily mail is a nasty piece of paper, and people have been questioning why a wholesome company like lego associated with them since the start. It's just that they announced it amidst a whirlwind of bullshit, is all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was able to track down 9 reindeer poly bags at two Targets today. So I got that going for me.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Was able to track down 9 reindeer poly bags at two Targets today. So I got that going for me.

Which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I finally got around to building UCS Slave 1 over the weekend. Really interesting build, and the completed set looks amazing. Anecdotally, I had to have Comcast send someone over to finish hooking up my Internet, and the dude that showed up happened to be a huge Boba Fett fanboy, so he hooked me up with some extra service, and while waiting for some stuff to power cycle ordered one of those sets for himself.