Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So, in the tabletop, looking at really good designs, whats stopping someone from running just 5 of the same good design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saint Celestine posted:

So, in the tabletop, looking at really good designs, whats stopping someone from running just 5 of the same good design?

Battle Value. And the fact that their opponent will punch them square in the dick for being power gaming asshat.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Hey, I've got a question. Did the elbow drop from the Po indirectly cause pilot hits? I don't know the rules of battletech, so I can't tell if the ammo explosion caused pilot hits or not. And how many pilot hits did the Annie take total?

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The Annie took 2 pilot hits from taking MRMs to the face in the shooting phase, followed by taking 4 pilot hits from the ammo explosion following the elbow drop. Pilots can only take 6 pilot hits before dying.

Normally, an ammo explosion only does 2 damage, but plugging your brain directly into a fusion-powered robot generally isn't a good idea.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Hey, I've got a question. Did the elbow drop from the Po indirectly cause pilot hits? I don't know the rules of battletech, so I can't tell if the ammo explosion caused pilot hits or not. And how many pilot hits did the Annie take total?

The ammo explosion, which resulted from the crits caused by AK's elbow drop, caused the pilot hits. The Annihilator took 6 pilot hits in this round, which means the Star Captain went from royally pissed off and fine to deep fried brain matter in a corpse in roughly 6-10 seconds.

E: f,b. Oh well...

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
Ah thanks, I was wondering why the elbow drop was so important. Without knowing that, I thought that the ammo explosion merely damaged an almost pristine piece of salvage.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
PTN, you are some sort of god-ninja for running this. Just saying. I don't know of any other thread that has induced more happy than this one. Keep going!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

To clarify on Zaodai's point, you know how 40K has points you spend to build your army? That's basically BV right there, except point calculation is based on global formulae rather than arbitrarily-designed numbers by faction. While there's some quirks to the formula and some things that are deliberately over-priced (anything Manei Domini, for example), it works fairly well.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

T.G. Xarbala posted:

To clarify on Zaodai's point, you know how 40K has points you spend to build your army? That's basically BV right there, except point calculation is based on global formulae rather than arbitrarily-designed numbers by faction. While there's some quirks to the formula and some things that are deliberately over-priced (anything Manei Domini, for example), it works fairly well.

Is there a limit on types of mechs you can field? I guess what I'm saying are you restricted by faction? I haven't played since the mid nineties and my friends and I used to mess around with whatever mechs we had lying about and try to keep it around the same tonnage. There isn't anything like "well, that's a Axeman and that's a FC mech, you're running Combine get that poo poo out of here."

If there isn't really a limit on what factions can take that would curb a lot of the GW list making GBS threads with undercosting awesome units for some factions. There'd be no "Oh, wow four units of Mournfang. Thanks, buddy" type deals.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

If there isn't really a limit on what factions can take that would curb a lot of the GW list making GBS threads with undercosting awesome units for some factions. There'd be no "Oh, wow four units of Mournfang. Thanks, buddy" type deals.

You can take anything; but if you want a more "fluffy" game there're tables for randomly rolling faction-based `Mechs.

The Death Commandos get to pick `Mechs from any faction, though.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

Is there a limit on types of mechs you can field? I guess what I'm saying are you restricted by faction? I haven't played since the mid nineties and my friends and I used to mess around with whatever mechs we had lying about and try to keep it around the same tonnage. There isn't anything like "well, that's a Axeman and that's a FC mech, you're running Combine get that poo poo out of here."

Because salvage is such a big deal in Battletech and everybody is fighting everybdy else constantly, pretty much any mix of units can be justified in a given match. If you're doing a scenario or running a campaign, every unit has an origin you can use for flavor, but in a random pick-up match you're probably fine just grabbing what you want. People may grumble if you run something really weird (Manei Domini/Wolf-in-Exile team-up!), but it's mostly up to you and your opponent to decide how far from the bounds of canon you're going to depart. As an example, look at this very scenario: it's explicitly designed for one faction to come in and swipe another faction's stuff to use against them.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
Talking about salvage, I would really love a modern single-player Battletech game which emphasized this aspect. Basically, like MW2: Mercenaries, but with a full campaign where you take on mercenary contracts but you play it like tabletop with all the dice rolls done by the computer.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Really, the kick-in-the-junk rule is pretty much what keeps people from taking stupid stuff like 3 Land-Air Mechs and a pair of Warhawk Cs to every fight. Sure, you could, but it just makes you a dick. Congratulations on your ability to exploit an almost 30 year old game.

There is kind of a faction-restriction system, but its not a hard rule like in other games. The Master Unit List thingy, for example, is an official project that shows what each faction can field. Plus, you can just go by the lists on Sarna, like this one for the Capellans, for a quick idea of what units each faction can access.

Honestly, though, no one gives a poo poo unless you're playing a campaign or an official event. Just make offhanded comments about salvage or buying it and you're all set.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Basically, don't play anything that will get you physically assaulted.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

enigma74 posted:

Talking about salvage, I would really love a modern single-player Battletech game which emphasized this aspect. Basically, like MW2: Mercenaries, but with a full campaign where you take on mercenary contracts but you play it like tabletop with all the dice rolls done by the computer.

Someone out there has prepped an Against-the-bot campaign that's played using MekHQ and MegaMek. It's a little bulky, but I've played through almost a month of a three-month contract using my merc company "The Roiling Octopodes," it's tough but pretty fun. There's tables for generating contracts too.

I think you have to register and log in to get the download:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,1135.0.html

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Are battletech players really that physically threatening?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wafflecopper posted:

Back when my Friendly Local Gaming Store was still in business, Battletech was referred to as "The Game That Shall Not Be Named" because invariably, whenever anyone said the word "Battletech" there would be an argument within three minutes. The argument wasn't always about Btech, but there was always an argument. The word itself became a clarion call to battle.

Some of those arguments devolved into physical confrontations, yes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

various posted:

:words: about mech choices

Huh. Its interesting that there is that amount of self regulation. I suppose it would also depend on what time period you were playing in as well. Probably not as big a deal what you bring if you play 3025 than anything post-Clan invasion.

Wafflecopper posted:

I live around a military base so a significant minority of the wargamers are military guys who buy a ton of poo poo to play while on deployment. Nothing more hilarious than watching some cheeto stained neckbeard try to get argumentative with a unimpressed Ranger who just wants to pretend his toy tanks go kapow kapow!

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 24, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bad Moon posted:

I live around a military base so a significant minority of the wargamers are military guys who buy a ton of poo poo to play while on deployment. Nothing more hilarious than watching some cheeto stained neckbeard try to get argumentative with a unimpressed Ranger who just wants to pretend his toy tanks go kapow kapow!

Really, that speaks somewhat well of the neckbeard in question. If you're willing to rules lawyer a Ranger, you're dedicated to your craft. Good on you. It's only a dick move if you're using it to bully people who can't push back for whatever reason.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually, it suggests to me another point of evidence that the neckbeard has a fundamental lack of situation social awareness. It's a game, it's suppose to be fun, let the Wookie Ranger win.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Actually, it suggests to me another point of evidence that the neckbeard has a fundamental lack of situation social awareness. It's a game, it's suppose to be fun, let the Wookie Ranger win.

True, but there's something almost perversely admirable about it. It's easy to rules-lawyer a dumb kid who doesn't know any better and will let himself be pushed around; to do it to a Ranger bespeaks a serious dedication to the neckbeardish arts. You don't have to like it, you don't have to approve of it, but you've gotta at least give the dude credit for being so thoroughly and completely committed to his jackassery.

Not enough credit to overcome his well-deserved scorn and hatred, but still. Credit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's the Po look like again? I'm having difficulty tracking it down in the posts.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

flashdim posted:

Someone out there has prepped an Against-the-bot campaign that's played using MekHQ and MegaMek. It's a little bulky, but I've played through almost a month of a three-month contract using my merc company "The Roiling Octopodes," it's tough but pretty fun. There's tables for generating contracts too.

Woah, thank you so much!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

What's the Po look like again? I'm having difficulty tracking it down in the posts.

Dunno, apparently it wasn't photogenic enough for Xarbala to put on his summary piece:

I imagine it looks something like Macho Man Randy Savage based on the comments that it's elicited.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not saying it doesn't make him still an rear end. But less of an rear end than if he was a rules-lawyering jerk to his fellow neckbeards and then backed down to anybody who could physically intimidate him. In that regard, he has to genuinely believe he is right, and there is a lot to be sad for someone who is willing to stick to their guns despite an unfavorable situation.

To misquote Star Trek, if you're going to be damned, be damned for what you really are.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Picard Day's original entry reads as follows:

quote:

This 'Mech was designed with ambushes in mind and has the low profile to accomplish that goal. It was also designed as a test bed for the new Advanced Listen-Kill MRM system - a weapon system that could change the tide of any war with an unprepared Duchy of New Syrtis, and cheap enough to produce in large quantities. In appearance it is quite similar to the Raven, with chicken-walker legs and non-humanoid arms (which are primarily just MRM pods). However, unlike the Raven the torso lacks the elongated "Beak" of the design, and mounts an additional under-slung MRM pod below the center torso. (You may notice the name is the same as the Po Heavy Tank from the canon storyline. However, as this timeline is quite different and the tank was originally Romano's brainchild, it seems appropriate that she might give the name to an entirely different design.)

So effectively a noseless Raven in a lot of ways.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

flashdim posted:

Sorry for being kind of :downs: about this but how do you give the AI mechs? I can get into and set up the battle fine but I can't figure out how to set up the enemy team.

Edit: never mind, I figured it out.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 24, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

TildeATH posted:

Dunno, apparently it wasn't photogenic enough for Xarbala to put on his summary piece:

We have still yet to see a glorious Mackie in action. This is a crime that needs to be rectified soon. :colbert:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KnoxZone posted:

We have still yet to see a glorious Mackie in action. This is a crime that needs to be rectified soon. :colbert:

We can only hope that an Urbanmech IIC can return the favor in some future scenario.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Rorac posted:

Sorry for being kind of :downs: about this but how do you give the AI mechs? I can get into and set up the battle fine but I can't figure out how to set up the enemy team.

Edit: never mind, I figured it out.

Hey I'm trying to get started playing this campaign. I went ahead and registered, and I downloaded the excel file that's basically an advanced rulebook.

What else do I need to know to get started playing this? I think I need a beginner's guide. While I know what a dropship is, I don't know why losing a leopord-class dropship results in "5 minor contract breaches".

Edit: Okay, I'm a bit stupid. I just realized that the 2.25 campaign rules files has multiple tabs. I was utterly confused because it started on the "campaign system" tab, and that's basically the middle of it.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 25, 2012

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I wish all these awesome campaign systems weren't based on excel files.

I have this uncanny ability to break them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Set it to read only before you start messing with it? Then any time you want to save you'll just save a new copy with a time stamp and you'll always have your last un-hosed-with copy to go back to if you need to.

(That said, I once had to set up a weird mail merge auto-fill system for someone at work. I made the mail merge both read only AND a template, so in theory there should be no way to accidentally gently caress it up. It took the user 3 days to find a way to break it so badly that I had to completely rebuild every aspect of the system.)

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There aren't any actual cells you enter data into for calculation on this one, it's mostly just for layout purposes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

Nobody really does that but the SLDF, who still only run lances of four.

Wafflecopper posted:

A lot of Battletech players are crazy right-wing gun nuts who hate logic. Just look at the official forums for a taster, the MWO forums for a deep immersion and Lords of the Battlefield if you don't want to live anymore.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

True, but there's something almost perversely admirable about it. It's easy to rules-lawyer a dumb kid who doesn't know any better and will let himself be pushed around; to do it to a Ranger bespeaks a serious dedication to the neckbeardish arts. You don't have to like it, you don't have to approve of it, but you've gotta at least give the dude credit for being so thoroughly and completely committed to his jackassery.

Not enough credit to overcome his well-deserved scorn and hatred, but still. Credit.
On more than one occasion I've seen people argue with the guy who wrote the rules of the game in question and win. With Steve Jackson he just published a change of rules on the website that night so he'd win the arguement the next day. With Monte Cook it was just a weirdly chill "dude... you care more about my game than I do" situation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can take anything; but if you want a more "fluffy" game there're tables for randomly rolling faction-based `Mechs.

The Death Commandos get to pick `Mechs from any faction, though.

Fortunately they spell out "You don't get to use these rules if your opponent doesn't want to." Nine times out of ten when I try to play a fluff game and the other guy says he's a DC team I have to invoke that rule.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just got home from the laundromat, update will begin soon.

GeorgeLedoux
Aug 1, 2012

Yet again, any person foolish to face the Merc Man goes down in flames. He's the real deal, and he's just as good in the arena as he is in the field. He's even got his own fan club I hear.
PTN, I'm not playing but I find this entire thread VERY entertaining, informative and just pretty drat creative. I find that when I don't get to check in each day, that I really miss being able to.

Good Job, Dude.

This is Duncan "has-been" Fisher... signing off!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hold on, let me get my "Oh Battletech!" face on.

:allears:

Alright, ready.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Let me prepare

:argh:

Ok i'm good.

now ptn :frogon:

Give us a glorious victory already :krakentoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Stop exploding, you cowards! :argh: