Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

petit choux posted:

Maybe this is more up your alley:

Or maybe this:

I want/need that Double Disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

I want/need that Double Disco.

Performed by the Motor City Rollers!

ED: Passed on a copy of Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun, a solid example of the 1970s at its dopiest (most dopey?), but this cover helps make up for it:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do you guys remember the music store The Wall? They gave you little stickers that you put on your cd for a lifetime replacement warrantee. Then they immediately went out of business.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Huh I never noticed the Boston ufo was a guitar. The more you know.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Do you guys remember the music store The Wall? They gave you little stickers that you put on your cd for a lifetime replacement warrantee. Then they immediately went out of business.

formerly wall to wall sound and video, yeah

I made exactly one replacement there, a CD of R.E.M.'s Eponymous which got scratched.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Maybe this is more up your alley:

These make me think of that scene from The Blues Brothers. "What kind of music do you have here?". "Oh we got both kinds. County and western!".

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
There's a 10th anniversary edition of the Drive soundtrack that's up for pre-order on Amazon at $27.99 if that's still a thing people care about. I imagine it'll have a more wide release if Amazon isn't your thing. Due out October 8th.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

There's a 10th anniversary edition of the Drive soundtrack that's up for pre-order on Amazon at $27.99 if that's still a thing people care about. I imagine it'll have a more wide release if Amazon isn't your thing. Due out October 8th.

I can't believe that's already ten years old. I got the original UK LP when it first came out. :smug:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I can't believe that's already ten years old. I got the original UK LP when it first came out. :smug:

Haha yeah. I paid way too much for a copy after I saw the movie... It is also possibly the neon pinkest record ever made.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My copy of the Drive score is golden and took loving forever and a day to track down. Wish I could find another Neon Demon.

And Clear Spot’s where it’s at when it comes to Captain Beefheart.

Fest update: wait a year or two to go back. People are on a warpath trying to have as much fun with as little regard to those around them and the meltdowns I ran into we’re some ugly loving vibes. And good god, drink the dang water. Worth it.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 13, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I own both Drive on blu-ray and the soundtrack on vinyl, but ironically have only ever watched the old work print with the Tron Legacy soundtrack in place.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Good weekend!

:rock:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’ve never seen a Drive but people haven’t shut the gently caress up about the soundtrack for years, what is so special about it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It was a lot of peoples introduction to synthwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHYaj6EHfJg&t=556s

You can watch the entire opening to drive or skip to 9:16 for the credit sequence. That Kavinsky track really took off for him.

Drive, Hotline Miami and the small resurgence of appreciation for John Carpenters soundtrack work really kicked the Synth back into the spotlight. That entire Drive opening tbh might've done it on its own, but that Hotline Miami soundtrack is a barn burner.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I’d argue that Drive is the most influential movie of the past ten or twenty years. It rocks. Cool tunes too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah I’d argue that Drive is the most influential movie of the past ten or twenty years. It rocks. Cool tunes too.

I'd like to hear you flesh out that argument then, because it didn't do that much for me. The tunes are definitely cool, the movie was good, but I just don't see putting it up on a pedestal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

petit choux posted:

I'd like to hear you flesh out that argument then, because it didn't do that much for me. The tunes are definitely cool, the movie was good, but I just don't see putting it up on a pedestal.

That was my take on Drive as well. I'm pretty sure that the hype surrounding it hurt when I finally got around to seeing it. It was good but not as good as everyone made it out to be.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

It's a good movie with a good soundtrack but I don't know that I'd call it the most influential movie of the decade. I'm interested to know in what way.

Iron Crowned posted:

That was my take on Drive as well. I'm pretty sure that the hype surrounding it hurt when I finally got around to seeing it. It was good but not as good as everyone made it out to be.

Only God Forgives and Neon Demon are better movies but Drive is more popular because it's much more accessible than those. The latter film especially pissed people off because it was hot on the heels of drive and the Gosling/Refn teaming got everyone expecting something more like Drive and it is very much not. There is a bit of similarity in the main character and the themes but Only God Forgives is a much drearier and slow burning film.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 14, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Stopped by a local record store for the first time since the pandemic and saw this bootleg of Gorillaz' Demon Days Instrumentals for about $38 that I am very tempted to go back and get. There were also multiple copies of Floral Shoppe new for over 50 bucks each. :wtc:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ballz posted:

There were also multiple copies of Floral Shoppe new for over 50 bucks each. :wtc:

I'm always tempted to grab one, since it's kind of THE vaporwave album and my collection feels like it's missing something, but...I actually am not crazy about the album itself, despite being so iconic. Maybe for $30 or so!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm no judge of films or anything else and I'm old and irrelevant. I just want them to flesh out that argument so I can have some idea what we're talking about. In about 2000 there was a great movie starring Harvey Keitel and Stephen Dorff about a gangster who righteously avenges himself on a fellow gangster that double crossed him, tell me how Drive is better than City of Industry.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I got the Grizzly Bear Yellow House reissue in the mail today. What a gorgeous album.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I know this is a long shot but if anyone happens to have the Over the Garden Wall OST on vinyl and is willing to part with it, I’d love to buy it from you - I’m looking to get it as a gift for my partner in time for Christmas.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

I'm no judge of films or anything else and I'm old and irrelevant. I just want them to flesh out that argument so I can have some idea what we're talking about. In about 2000 there was a great movie starring Harvey Keitel and Stephen Dorff about a gangster who righteously avenges himself on a fellow gangster that double crossed him, tell me how Drive is better than City of Industry.

I don't agree with the claim that Drive is highly influential but things don't have to be especially good to be influential. The aforementioned Trout Mask Replica is a good example. But plenty of works end up better than the thing that inspired them even if the original piece isn't necessarily bad. Neo noir was hardly original in the 90s never mind when Drive came out.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I don't agree with the claim that Drive is highly influential but things don't have to be especially good to be influential. The aforementioned Trout Mask Replica is a good example. But plenty of works end up better than the thing that inspired them even if the original piece isn't necessarily bad. Neo noir was hardly original in the 90s never mind when Drive came out.

Well yeah, I don't want to confuse influential with good.

I think maybe if I'd watched it with better speakers it may have made a lot of difference, maybe I will.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

Well yeah, I don't want to confuse influential with good.

I think maybe if I'd watched it with better speakers it may have made a lot of difference, maybe I will.

Watching Drive in theaters was a pretty great experience and I think colored a lot of the experiences people had. There’s nothing quite like those music tracks hitting in 11.1 and a giant screen displaying the glittering landscape of LA.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Movies in a theater are always better. That's how most of them are meant to be seen.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Movies in a theater are always better. That's how most of them are meant to be seen.

:wrong:

Movies were meant to be seen spinning on your turntable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Finally I have an official way to smugly declare that I only watch movies on vinyl.

And before some smartypants mentions it, gently caress you CED videodisc doesn't count get lost.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

Watching Drive in theaters was a pretty great experience and I think colored a lot of the experiences people had. There’s nothing quite like those music tracks hitting in 11.1 and a giant screen displaying the glittering landscape of LA.

I'm certain you're right and if I went to theaters to watch movies I'd have a more positive take on it. I've only been to crappy theaters, only a few times in the past decade and it's mostly been dumb action movies, which have led me to not be too eager to go see more. That Dolby, the subs under the seats or whatever, I haven't experienced that stuff done right too often. This movie might have been different.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Just posting this here because I had asked for an in-stock alert and it’s back in stock!

https://www.coleminerecords.com/pro...=15851220402278

Just a badass session that I’ve been waiting to be back in stock for a long time. Sorry for the long URL, I’m on mobile and just got excited. :)

Check the YouTube link on that page if you want to give it a listen. Pretty sure that’s the “warm up” session, but it’s great.

Anyway I was bummed because it was so drat expensive on Discogs but this was only $25. Yay

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Chinook posted:

Just posting this here because I had asked for an in-stock alert and it’s back in stock!

Just a badass session that I’ve been waiting to be back in stock for a long time. Sorry for the long URL, I’m on mobile and just got excited. :)

Check the YouTube link on that page if you want to give it a listen. Pretty sure that’s the “warm up” session, but it’s great.

Anyway I was bummed because it was so drat expensive on Discogs but this was only $25. Yay

Colemine records is fantastic all around.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Finally I have an official way to smugly declare that I only watch movies on vinyl.

And before some smartypants mentions it, gently caress you CED videodisc doesn't count get lost.

I've got a working CED player and about 100 movies out in the garage hooked up to an old Sony Wega 32" CRT. Nothing better than working on a project out there while watching an ancient copy of Caddyshack on a giant platter at sub VHS quality.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Drive probably is my favorite movie of the decade (Hell NWR is my favorite currently working director), but the most influential of the decade? Naaaaaah. That lady suing for false advertising over the trailer was hilarious though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Chinook posted:

I listened to a bit of this on Spotify and I’ll probably pick this up, thanks!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I like to post and then not read the thread for a day or so. forgive me for dropping that apparently spicy take and dipping out lol.

I think Drive was mostly influential aesthetically.

Drive really set the tone for a bunch of the synth wave/vaporwave internet culture stuff for the 2010s. also stuff like John Wick, and Atomic Blonde really go in on that color scheme/grading look that Drive really nailed down. In terms of aesthetics most of the stuff I associate with the past decade was really affected by drive. Hotline Miami even references Nic Winding-Refn directly in the credits.

I guess you could argue one of the marvels is the most influential but they’re all so bland, they look like tv shows. Maybe in that everyone tried to have a “cinematic universe” for a minute, but I genuinely can’t think of a single movie that had more of a long lasting impact recently than Drive.

Also I do like the movie and love the soundtrack. It’s nice.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Drive really strikes me as one of those "a meh movie but a sick-rear end 2 hour music video" like Tron Legacy was; am I correct? Or is that unfair to Drive?

(Maybe it's because I haven't seen the original Tron, but Legacy was zzzzzzzzzzzzzz whenever there were extended dialogue scenes.)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The movie is alright standing alone, but yea that soundtrack really adds an extra depth that accentuates the movie overall. It's definitely no Thief which I think is the most common comparison point, but its not bad in any regard.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

I like to post and then not read the thread for a day or so. forgive me for dropping that apparently spicy take and dipping out lol.

I think Drive was mostly influential aesthetically.

Drive really set the tone for a bunch of the synth wave/vaporwave internet culture stuff for the 2010s. also stuff like John Wick, and Atomic Blonde really go in on that color scheme/grading look that Drive really nailed down. In terms of aesthetics most of the stuff I associate with the past decade was really affected by drive. Hotline Miami even references Nic Winding-Refn directly in the credits.

I guess you could argue one of the marvels is the most influential but they’re all so bland, they look like tv shows. Maybe in that everyone tried to have a “cinematic universe” for a minute, but I genuinely can’t think of a single movie that had more of a long lasting impact recently than Drive.

Also I do like the movie and love the soundtrack. It’s nice.

Yeah that's probably a reasonable take. You are unfortunately right about Marvel in that pretty much all blockbusters now are the same homogenous grey slurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
In boring standard news for the thread I gots a vinyl today:

Got lucky and got my favorite color, yellow. Got super lucky and it didn't get crushed by a seven pound book in the same box. Won't have time to listen to it for a bit though, I hate being so busy doing nothing at times.