Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

trying to imagine the situation that led to them putting the corpse inside the coffin, but leaving the skeleton outside

Maybe the skeleton got out on its own :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cheetah7071 posted:

trying to imagine the situation that led to them putting the corpse inside the coffin, but leaving the skeleton outside

It's just Mafol's favorite skeleton.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Dwarves just stick body parts on top of the coffin instead of in it sometimes, its been a thing forever :shrug:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In older versions (not sure if it still happens), skeletons could sometimes pop out of the coffin as they decayed, too.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a "smart" way to build walls 2 or 3 z-levels high that won't require me to place the walls bit-by-bit to ensure dwarves have access?

Not really. I started doubling my walls. An outside wall, a walkway in-between with stairs, and an inside wall. Its more stones to make but its a lot easier to micromanage the build. You just floor between the walls at each level and the walls are buildable without all the management

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I wish there was a way to turn off masterpiece announcements and also not list them in legends mode.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a "smart" way to build walls 2 or 3 z-levels high that won't require me to place the walls bit-by-bit to ensure dwarves have access?

you know how you designate stair mining designations on multiple z-levels at once? same is allowed for other mining and build menu options. If you start a wall designation on the ground level and finish it three z-levels up, it'll place all the building orders even though the upper levels aren't accessible yet.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
About the cavern invasion bug: in an old wealthy fort I tried sending out all of my soldiers towards a cavern edge. They must've fought a hundred snakepeople, and any time they cleared out one wave, the next one would immediately pop in from the edge. The attacks didn't stop until both of the cavern invasion settings (size and scale) were turned to zero. Clearly a good idea to turn them off for now. I didn't notice an FPS difference, but that might be because there are still more ambushers hidden somewhere.

I wonder if the bug affects the frequency of surface warfare? It has been pretty quiet topside, maybe the game figured there's enough action going on underground.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Venuz Patrol posted:

you know how you designate stair mining designations on multiple z-levels at once? same is allowed for other mining and build menu options. If you start a wall designation on the ground level and finish it three z-levels up, it'll place all the building orders even though the upper levels aren't accessible yet.

That doesn't solve the access problem. Just designating the walls this way still winds up with unbuilt corner walls.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So half my dwarves worship a diety of Thievery and treachery... will this have consequences?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

The step by step tutorial stops preeeeeety early.

"Here's how you dig, here's how you store, here's how you build. Now go make crafts."

Wood: 300
Stone: 450
Crafts: 4800
Food and drink: 7

Someone who is good at DF help me, my fort is dying.

(I know there are more tutorials I'm starting now, but I think it's too late :( )

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

The step by step tutorial stops preeeeeety early.

"Here's how you dig, here's how you store, here's how you build. Now go make crafts."

Wood: 300
Stone: 450
Crafts: 4800
Food and drink: 7

Someone who is good at DF help me, my fort is dying.

(I know there are more tutorials I'm starting now, but I think it's too late :( )

Legitimately recoverable if you're in a nice wooded areas with fruit trees. You can designate a 'gather plants' zone over all the applies and berries on the floor, and also then brew them into drinks. If you're in a more barren area, perhaps not so much...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
A couple ELVES came up to the produce stand the other dayyy,
I had an echidna I tamed earlier, and they had another, so I thought "hell yeah I'm gonna breed echidnas and give everyone pet echidnas"
But it turns out they're both female, so they have a nice bachelorette pad now, complete with den and termite mound (they do not need to eat).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sounds like I should turn off the cavern dweller invasions now, a Forgotten Beast made of amethyst with webs just wiped out a bunch of invisible batpeople so it's probably a good time.

I suppose that is one nice thing about Forgotten Beasts, if you get a strong one they just blow through the caverns killing everything else. As long as you've got the cavern sealed off you're good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the running theory is that the immense amounts of invisible cavern dwellers just out of sight is what is causing a lot of crashes right now, so probably not a bad idea.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm sure as gently caress not building another 60 level pump stack, so time to roll up a volcano fort!

The trick where you can fill minecarts with magma and have dwarves carry them up also works pretty well. Certainly easier than an obscene pump stack.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

A lot of my migrants arrived with the modifier “corrupted butcher”. This seems to give the dwarf the “creature of the night” tile and cyan color, but I cant figure out what it means? They aren’t any better at butchery than any other dwarf.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

exe cummings posted:

A lot of my migrants arrived with the modifier “corrupted butcher”. This seems to give the dwarf the “creature of the night” tile and cyan color, but I cant figure out what it means? They aren’t any better at butchery than any other dwarf.

I think it's one of the generated titles for raised undead, so read "corrupted butcher" like you would "shambling husk" or "decaying terror", it's basically the honorary title of those zombies. Undead with brains will behave just like other dwarves and won't need to eat or drink IIRC, so they make for good fort members.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Tombs are like bedrooms in that they're assigned one per dwarf, no mass graves. Also like bedrooms, these can be mass designated. If you don't want to go through the hassle of carving out all those rooms and giving each one a door so that the mass designation works properly, there is a trick: channeling. Just find some large open room and channel a bunch of one or two tile sized holes in the floor. Go down one z-level and now you have a bunch of seperate little graves that can be mass designated as a bunch of tombs without having to fret about the third dimension, each with its own coffin and I guess a memorial statue or whatever if you wanna be extravagant about it.

Thanks for the tips on tombs. I think for my next fortress I'll just combine the tombs and the bedrooms as a gimmick.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Man am I not digging deep enough? Do all maps have caverns? Just not finding one so far, what z level do they usually happen at.

Also in attempting to carve a grand entryway I caused a collapse that punched three z levels down and killed four dwarves. I'm not mega worried because I get a flood of migrants and bards are constantly petitioning to join, I may be the only option in the area or something gotta check legends.

I did somehow manage to take out a giant and make crafts from its bones as well. Didn't seem like a very tough one but I'm taking the win

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

sullat posted:

Thanks for the tips on tombs. I think for my next fortress I'll just combine the tombs and the bedrooms as a gimmick.

The other slightly janky option I've been doing is just carving out one big room and individually designating each coffin as a tomb. Works as long as there's a door.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Benagain posted:

Man am I not digging deep enough? Do all maps have caverns? Just not finding one so far, what z level do they usually happen at.

Also in attempting to carve a grand entryway I caused a collapse that punched three z levels down and killed four dwarves. I'm not mega worried because I get a flood of migrants and bards are constantly petitioning to join, I may be the only option in the area or something gotta check legends.

I did somehow manage to take out a giant and make crafts from its bones as well. Didn't seem like a very tough one but I'm taking the win

You might have just missed it by digging into a cliff too far away from any open spaces in the cavern, so it didn't get revealed. Try digging horizontally at your lowest point and see what turns up

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do one better, designate a horizontal or vertical digout every 5 z-levels to see if you've gone past them at some point.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Affi posted:

So half my dwarves worship a diety of Thievery and treachery... will this have consequences?
In so far as you'll need to build them a shrine when they request it, which'll eventually become a temple that'll need a priest.
The priest position is hereditary and applies irrespective of all other factors (I've had an atheist dorf become an abbot), and I believe religion itself is also subject to intrigue (which was introduced with the villains release).

As far as affecting individual dorf behaviour, I don't believe it'll have an effect - dorfs are anarcho-communists and while they have a concept of property and value, they're also ethical beings.
That being said, you can (and should) make up your own flavour that you use to inform the design of your fort and the stories you tell about it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Affi posted:

It could just be worship in an apotropaic sense, as in they want to placate the God of Thievery to gain his favor in warding OFF thieves. Time to build a temple prominently featuring a securely sealed vault full of all your valuable trinkets!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Benagain posted:

The other slightly janky option I've been doing is just carving out one big room and individually designating each coffin as a tomb. Works as long as there's a door.

Yeah that's what I started doing in my new fort, so far it's not too much micromanagement since we haven't had any mass-casualty events yet but we'll see.

Oh yeah, elves brought me a rhinoceros and a jaguar and a leopard, thanks for the tips about dealing with war animals. Going to pasture them by the entrance and we'll see what happens next time the gobbos show up.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2022

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Legendary thongs, ITT

I'm calling it. This is my first truly successful fortress. 130+ dwarves and only about a dozen are suicidal.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Year 3. Got a diplomacy option of being made part of the main dwarf realm. More trade but nobles have to live well.

Not sure whether to accept. Trade has been vital so far for food and drink but now that I'm reasonably self sufficient the caravans just haven't had much of interest.
Seems like more hassle that its worth, also kind of like being independent.
Does trade get better and am I missing out on much or anger them if I decline?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I wish to Christ the workshop menus would indicate which items you actually have the materials to build. It would save *so much* unnecessary hassle.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Year 3. Got a diplomacy option of being made part of the main dwarf realm. More trade but nobles have to live well.

Not sure whether to accept. Trade has been vital so far for food and drink but now that I'm reasonably self sufficient the caravans just haven't had much of interest.
Seems like more hassle that its worth, also kind of like being independent.
Does trade get better and am I missing out on much or anger them if I decline?

Accepting doesn't really make it much harder. It pretty much just forces you to name one dwarf as a baron, who needs good rooms. I believe you can have noble inheritance and get a mayor even if you don't accept--it happened in my last fortress before I even got the offer. And they'll need still want good rooms and issue mandates regardless.

Trade steps up pretty significantly in bulk if you accept, and you can clear a path for wagons to reach your trade depot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pipski posted:

I wish to Christ the workshop menus would indicate which items you actually have the materials to build. It would save *so much* unnecessary hassle.

You have the materials for the white ones and not the red ones?

Or do you mean the work orders?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Azhais posted:

You have the materials for the white ones and not the red ones?

Only some shops do that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking personally, I want "X in linked stockpile" as a work order condition. Could save me some headaches, because I want to mill dimple cups but not cave wheat/sweet pods.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Accepting doesn't really make it much harder. It pretty much just forces you to name one dwarf as a baron, who needs good rooms. I believe you can have noble inheritance and get a mayor even if you don't accept--it happened in my last fortress before I even got the offer. And they'll need still want good rooms and issue mandates regardless.

Trade steps up pretty significantly in bulk if you accept, and you can clear a path for wagons to reach your trade depot.

Yeah nobles can be annoying and absolutely worth causing the accidental death of if they're asking for leather poo poo all the time and you don't have a pasture of animals or siege equipment, but a lot of times it'll be like "make 3 buckets" and the extra trade items and such is worth building a 3 tile cart path into your fort and dealing with fancy rooms for royalty. It does suck when you're 10 minutes into a fort and get a queen/king immediately though.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gnoman posted:

That doesn't solve the access problem. Just designating the walls this way still winds up with unbuilt corner walls.

My solution to this when building big things is to build a scaffolding out of stairs around the building. You can also use that to engrave the walls. When you no longer need the scaffolding, you can get rid of all of it at once by building a ring of floor tiles one full empty tile above it, and collapse it. Any cave-in, even one of constructed floors that turn into blocks when they drop, will take out the while stack of stairs with them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
99% of the time, nobles really aren't that much of a hassle. They'll require somewhat more fancy rooms, and occasionally demand you make some specific stuff, like splints or earrings or beds, based on their preferences, but usually it's not much of an issue.

I've heard horror stories of nobles demanding specific items made from materials that can only be achieved through random artifact moods though, but I've never seen one of those myself.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hopefully the UI will continue to get tweaked and all those alerts will be broken up into more useful categories (that are also able to be turned off)

Like I don't care that work order jobs get cancelled. You're out of ore to smelt, great, stop telling me about it. I do care if mining gets cancelled due to damp or warm stone. I definitely care if a job gets cancelled because Phil the Hand of Punxsutawney is running around in my basement.

Putting those all in one means I just give up due to alert fatigue

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mr E posted:

Yeah nobles can be annoying and absolutely worth causing the accidental death of if they're asking for leather poo poo all the time and you don't have a pasture of animals or siege equipment, but a lot of times it'll be like "make 3 buckets" and the extra trade items and such is worth building a 3 tile cart path into your fort and dealing with fancy rooms for royalty. It does suck when you're 10 minutes into a fort and get a queen/king immediately though.

Leather's actually an item I always ask for in dwarf/human caravans, because they'll bring far more bins of the stuff than I could ever produce myself, and it's cheap. After a couple of years of asking caravans for leather and trading some prepared meals for their entire stock I am swimming in hundreds of tanned hides, ready for a clothesmaking industry with single-digit animal slaughters.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Finally got my archer tower to work! Dont use fortifications, just use Vertical bars instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Aren't vertical bars destructible while fortification are not?