Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Gauntlet thread seems kind of dead, so I'll ask in here. I was about fifteen minutes into hosting my first multiplayer game when I got a crash to desktop with the message "Fatal error. Application must exit immediately." Steam forums suggest this is a common problem across many different hardware configurations with no solution, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask if there's a fix here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=53

Carpe Fulgur is a goon outfit, right? In any case, hope the dude gets the help he needs :ohdearsass:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ddraig posted:

The Birds gained control of society after a mutation created to deal with the Bird Flu virus made them super intelligent. Most humans died out. You play as a 'test subject' who is sent to the school as an experiment to see if humans and birds can actually live together peacefully and socialize properly.

The true campaign starts when the main character is murdered and her body dismembered and sent to the different classes in different boxes. You then take the role of a murder investigator to find out exactly what is going on

It's a very hosed up game.

christ what the gently caress. That's terrifying. Wouldn't expect anything like that from how the game looks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Grimace posted:

christ what the gently caress. That's terrifying. Wouldn't expect anything like that from how the game looks.

I'm assuming that's the point of the twist. They pulled an Eversion but in visual novel format.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CJacobs posted:

I'm assuming that's the point of the twist. They pulled an Eversion but in visual novel format.

True enough. Just even more surprising to me considering I'm not sure anyone who would be interested in a plot twist like that would be even playing the game in the first place. Well, not my place to wonder, I guess. The game never piqued my interest... that's still pretty terrifying though.

404notfound posted:

http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=53

Carpe Fulgur is a goon outfit, right? In any case, hope the dude gets the help he needs :ohdearsass:

This is really terrifying, though. I believe I may have played FFXIV with him at some point, and found him to be a really nice guy. No one deserves to feel like that and I do hope he's getting the help he deserves. :smith:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
He posted in the TitS thread earlier today, looks like he's looking at brighter things now. Still a rough deal for sure.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, it looking like an exceptionally dumb parody is part of the gag. It's a game built entirely to be spread via word of mouth by people going "no, really, it's not what it looks like, trust me."

It does vaguely hint at elements of the real plot early on, but at that point you're still so wrapped up in how goofy and upbeat everything is that you don't notice.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
To the two other people using macs to browse Steam... is the marketplace page completely making GBS threads itself with crazy visual artifacts for anybody else?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sethsez posted:

Yeah, it looking like an exceptionally dumb parody is part of the gag. It's a game built entirely to be spread via word of mouth by people going "no, really, it's not what it looks like, trust me."

It does vaguely hint at elements of the real plot early on, but at that point you're still so wrapped up in how goofy and upbeat everything is that you don't notice.

The trouble is that most games/movies/etc that do that don't take ten hours and a novel's worth of reading to get there, but I guess that's mostly due to the format it's in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

Gauntlet thread seems kind of dead, so I'll ask in here. I was about fifteen minutes into hosting my first multiplayer game when I got a crash to desktop with the message "Fatal error. Application must exit immediately." Steam forums suggest this is a common problem across many different hardware configurations with no solution, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask if there's a fix here.

I had this issue and it turned out to be a failing video card EVGA fortunately replaced for free. I also had a few bad hard drive sectors that chkdsk fixed right up. Can you check your Windows Application Log to get more information on the error? It might show the exact fault there.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I got a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend from a friend. Is there some way to upgrade to the deluxe edition?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CJacobs posted:

The trouble is that most games/movies/etc that do that don't take ten hours and a novel's worth of reading to get there, but I guess that's mostly due to the format it's in.

Well, there actually is content before the big twist that's pretty interesting, the writing's good enough to have a lot of fun with the concept and it does act as a pretty good parody of visual novels during that time. The inventiveness in the writing is always there, the big twist is just the biggest example of it.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

To the two other people using macs to browse Steam... is the marketplace page completely making GBS threads itself with crazy visual artifacts for anybody else?

Yes. The client's become nearly unusable for me. Better to just use the website for store stuff.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Hey look assholes, Shovel Knight finally got a discount, now will everyone stop bitching and loving buy it already???

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Now people get to complain that they only bought it because they were promised there wouldn't be a discount!

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

TheNintenGenius posted:

Hey look assholes, Shovel Knight finally got a discount, now will everyone stop bitching and loving buy it already???

But it's 10 loving bucks, man.

The best part is the bitching that will be incoming due to not saving those 3-4 bucks since the game wasn't supposed to go on sale.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Warlock 2 is 50% off/:10bux: http://store.steampowered.com/app/205990/

If you enjoy turn based strategy with a 90% focus on tactical combat, it's well worth that price.

It's a janky game in some respects, and it is not a Civ style builder game, but if you enjoy building up a force of rpg superhero level units and smashing the poo poo out of every plane of existence, you'll probably have a good time with it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

chrisoya posted:

Now people get to complain that they only bought it because they were promised there wouldn't be a discount!

I'm disappointed they did this, because it reinforces the idea that you should never buy games at full price.

I was pleased a developer was willing to say "our game is worth buying at full price and we won't discount until we're done with it".

e: It's not a lot of money, but buy a couple copies of it and it is enough to get something else as well, or hey, another copy of Shovel Knight.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Did they promise anything? All I saw from the forums was something from a month ago saying they had no definite plans to put it on sale yet, and more recent stuff saying they're taking a measured approach to when they put it on sale.

Edit: The rep even tells people to buy other stuff instead if the game isn't cheap enough for them yet, and gives suggestions on what to buy instead of Shovel Knight.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh, hey...

:toot:

(Edit: Only posting this cause I don't remember seeing this any of the other 5 years)

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm disappointed they did this, because it reinforces the idea that you should never buy games at full price.

I was pleased a developer was willing to say "our game is worth buying at full price and we won't discount until we're done with it".

e: It's not a lot of money, but buy a couple copies of it and it is enough to get something else as well, or hey, another copy of Shovel Knight.

Yeah it's honestly pretty sad, since they had perfectly legitimate reasons for not discounting the game imo, but hell if this finally gets more people to play possible GOTY Shovel Knight, then I guess in the end it works out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Call me crazy but I'm probably more likely to actually like/complete a game if I pay full price.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Then someone showed them the projections and they eyed up the wage bill for January.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Another episode of Two old Farts playing video games badly is starting.
Up today: Dead Rising 3.
Hopefully it won't take 90 min for us to get it set up.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/fartofpresto/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kragger99/

edit - switching to Gauntlet

Edit 2 - welp, can't get mumble to work. Still going to play with Lonely Rolling star in a few min

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 27, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Then someone showed them the projections and they eyed up the wage bill for January.

Well yeah, I think this is absolutely the right move. There was just no need to imply the game wouldn't be on sale.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What are the differences between Gothic 3 and the Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition? I liked Risen (even if it was a bit janky) but I heard FGEE is the worse of the two.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What are the differences between Gothic 3 and the Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition? I liked Risen (even if it was a bit janky) but I heard FGEE is the worse of the two.

Gothic 3 was made by the main company. It was rushed to release by the publishers, but fans have patched up all the bugs, and it was never lacking on content.

After their experiences with the publisher and Gothic 3, the devs left to make Risen. The publisher saw this as a golden opportunity to hire some new guys to make an expansion/sequel/thing to Gothic 3, which led to Forsaken Gods. And it was a horrific piece of poo poo, not only in that it still barely works ( because none of the Gothic 3 fanpatches work on it, since it's a new game ), but also in that the content was abyssal, the voice acting was poor, the translation didn't really work, and the balance was not great.

I hear they kept patching it since release which is what the Enhanced Edition is, but I have no idea if it made it any better. Considering you can play Gothic/2/3/Risen/2/3 though for that fix, I'm not really sure there's a good reason to test and see either though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Call me crazy but I'm probably more likely to actually like/complete a game if I pay full price.

The economists have a term for this, but I'm blanking on what it is. It is a well-known effect, though, and it's related to the Sunk-Cost Fallacy. EDIT: The Ben Franklin Effect

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everblight posted:

The economists have a term for this, but I'm blanking on what it is. It is a well-known effect, though, and it's related to the Sunk-Cost Fallacy.

I think part of it is self-selection, as the games I buy at full price are probably the ones I'm more likely to enjoy in the first place. But if the game is cheap, then it feels more disposable. Exhibit A: the posters here with 200+ game libraries full of cheap crap they'll never play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A lot of the cheap crap in people's libraries though comes from bundles and are games they never asked for, they just blindly added them to their library (or it was a part of a multi-game Steam key). That's what most of my blacklist is on SteamCompletionist.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Steam seems to be very confused right now

(Hint: FO:NV)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much what Quest said. Half of this stuff is from Bundles. I am slowly trying to complete my backlog though I swear. :v:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Edit: opps, wrong thread

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 27, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I think part of it is self-selection, as the games I buy at full price are probably the ones I'm more likely to enjoy in the first place. But if the game is cheap, then it feels more disposable. Exhibit A: the posters here with 200+ game libraries full of cheap crap they'll never play.

This is true (speaking as someone with far, far more than 200+ crap games I'll never play). At the same time, games, like the vast majority of the media we consume, are disposable, so I'm happy with the current situation. The only game I paid full price (well, 10% pre-order discount) for this year was Grimrock 2, and I'm super glad that I did, but there are more great games than one person could ever play to completion, so I'd rather have a vast library to pick at depending on how the mood strikes, rather than a couple games to beat the poo poo out of.

e: Oh yeah I paid full price for Shovel Knight too, and Sproggiwood. And I guess I kickstarted Dungeonmans back in the day. Probably some other indies too that I'm forgetting. Hmmm. More full price than I'd thought. I guess it's just AAA games that I have a real aversion to paying MSRP for.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Is warhammer dawn of war 2 retribution the warhammer 40k game people like the best?For some reason I have trouble remembering.Also is it worth getting the master collection if I get it since it doubles the price?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ah Map posted:

Is warhammer dawn of war 2 retribution the warhammer 40k game people like the best?For some reason I have trouble remembering.Also is it worth getting the master collection if I get it since it doubles the price?

DoW2 and Chaos Rising are loving awesome and -in my opinion- worth getting the master collection. I have Retribution but haven't played it yet; it comes with campaigns for all races, but I think the maps are the same for all campaigns, so that may cut a bit into replayability.

Also, if you can get a buddy to play with you, do it, it's great fun.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ah Map posted:

Yeah Retribution's the best because you can play Pirate Orks in the campaign. I have a spare copy Ill trade you for the cheaper Burnout Paradise thing http://steamcommunity.com/id/baise-moi/

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Riso posted:

Yeah Retribution's the best because you can play Pirate Orks in the campaign. I have a spare copy Ill trade you for the cheaper Burnout Paradise thing http://steamcommunity.com/id/baise-moi/
Ah thanks to you and edmond for the responses, I just bought it myself to keep life simple.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ah Map posted:

They're all fine if you ask me but they all sort of do different things and evolve off of each other. The first DoW2's (just, Dawn of War 2) campaign is almost a single-player/2 player co-op MOBA (uh, just a BA then?) against AI. You have your extremely powerful heroes who have different abilities, a bunch of trash mobs to kill for experience, a few objectives to complete, and at the end of a map you fight a boss. And it was basically just that for the entire game.

Chaos Rising's single player became more structured mission-by-mission with more gimmicks and vehicles becoming more prominent, and of course the Chaos meter thing, though it remains mostly the same.

Retribution is where things change a bit more where your heroes are more fragile if they aren't used properly (they can also be switched out entirely for a beefed up squad), missions are much more involved and longer, vehicles and anti-vehicle weapons are very much a thing to consider, both gimmick levels and objectives are in, and bosses aren't as prominent. The campaign isn't quite as extensive as the info page will make it sound because its the same campaign on the same maps with each race, just against a different enemy race where appropriate. But since it has the Pirate Orks there actually isn't anything to complain about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh yay super time force ultra won the vote. good job voters :)

• Locked thread