Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Who cares about the lives of the rest of the people on the plane gotta have my fancy watch

I see people use Bluetooth headphones on every takeoff. I’ve never once seen an attendant say anything, at least in recent memory. If Bluetooth was such a threat I’m sure planes would be falling from the sky left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
They got rid of the headphone jack and now Bluetooth is important but continue to be a snarky sperg about a thing that isn't a big deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Anyone in the upgrade program see anything different than “you’re eligible to upgrade!” And then the iPhone x greyed out on the next page?

Even though the Apple store app has the “starting 10/23...” text, I don’t see anything different in the upgrade check flow.
When Apple gives a date but not a time, don't expect anything to happen earlier than 9 AM PDT, and probably later than that depending on when whoever presses the switch gets in and has their coffee and decides to do it. (It will probably also knock the online store down for a bit, so wait for that, in reality.)

vikingstrike posted:

I see people use Bluetooth headphones on every takeoff. I’ve never once seen an attendant say anything, at least in recent memory. If Bluetooth was such a threat I’m sure planes would be falling from the sky left and right.
Bluetooth is allowed now, so no, they won't say anything.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If anyone thought it could seriously affect the plane then they would take away every phone on takeoff and landing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can only take 3oz of liquid so you can't bring a bomb on the plane but we will totally trust you to flip a switch you never use to make sure we all don't die in a horrible crash.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah if anyone could've taken a plane down with a Bluetooth signal, they would have already done it years ago :v:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

dexter6 posted:

Just so everyone is clear about airplane mode...

In iOS 11 it changed to remember your preferences of what to kill in airplane mode.

By default, airplane mode kills cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth. If you never do anything different, it’ll work like it always did.

Some people find it helpful to leave BT and it WiFi on in Airplane mode. If you’re one of those people, enable Airplane mode, then enableBT and or WiFi. Then turn airplane mode off.

Next time you go into airplane mode, you’ll notice the things you enabled last airplane mode will not get killed.

As someone above explained, this is great for things like BT headphones or Apple Watch. Now when I go into Airplane Mode, those things don’t get interrupted.

Can confirm, just took a flight with both my watch and airpods.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

withak posted:

If anyone thought it could seriously affect the plane then they would take away every phone on takeoff and landing.

There have been demonstrated cases where phones using cellular data have caused issues with navigation systems. But cellular radios are much higher power on a lower frequency and sometimes use protocols more likely to generate induced currents in nearby wires. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are low-power, higher frequency and for Bluetooth spread spectrum which limits the likelihood of interference with wired systems. Not to mention any airliner offering Wi-Fi onboard would have been checked that it wasn’t susceptible to interference from Wi-Fi or likely any 2.4GHz signal.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

fordan posted:

There have been demonstrated cases where phones using cellular data have caused issues with navigation systems. But cellular radios are much higher power on a lower frequency and sometimes use protocols more likely to generate induced currents in nearby wires. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are low-power, higher frequency and for Bluetooth spread spectrum which limits the likelihood of interference with wired systems. Not to mention any airliner offering Wi-Fi onboard would have been checked that it wasn’t susceptible to interference from Wi-Fi or likely any 2.4GHz signal.

This is a myth and urban legend.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone have any sources regarding bluetooth/wifi being bad for planes? I always use bluetooth headsets in planes but switch to wired during takeoff/landing. It'd be great if just airplane mode was enough and I could just stay on bluetooth.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bobfather posted:

You repeat yourself

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I never turned off my devices when flying :getin:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I leave my phone streaming YouTube while in the air so that it connects to cell towers across the world and I wrack up massive roaming charges

Hell yeah baby!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

bobfather posted:

No?

I’d have to go hunting for it, but I’ve read a report that summarized I think crew reports to the Aviation Safety Reporting System involving issues with personal electronics, but I recall at lest one report where they were getting anomalous reading in the cockpit in flight and had the flight attendants check for phones not in airplane mode. They found a Blackberry in a luggage compartment still turned on, and when switched off, caused the anomaly to disappear. I believe there were a several similar stories although the bulk of the report was battery smoke/fires. And as a private pilot myself I’ve had a phone trying to pair to a ground tower while flying cause noise in my headset and make the navigation VOR needles move (though not a lot).

It’s all about proximity of the radio to wires carrying data signals, especially analog data signals that don’t have any error correction. It’s not likely your phone will be near enough to such a wire to cause a problem but it can and has happened.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lol the GSM noise in your headset in a 152 is a lot different from an airliner with multiple redundancies and shielded wiring being affected by a cell phone out with the PAX. Unless you can cite an actual scientific study or case study and just wave your PPL around like it matters, your anecdotes are worthless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anecdotes aren't data but it wouldn't be the internet without them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

If having a transmitter going during takeoff/landing actually mattered then they wouldn't rely on the honor system to make sure that everything gets turned off.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Pivo posted:

Lol the GSM noise in your headset in a 152 is a lot different from an airliner with multiple redundancies and shielded wiring being affected by a cell phone out with the PAX. Unless you can cite an actual scientific study or case study and just wave your PPL around like it matters, your anecdotes are worthless.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_03.PDF

And while anecdotes like this may not live up to your desire for a scientific paper, I think they’re fine for disproving claims of myth and urban legend.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I realize the point was proving that it's not urban legend, which I agree you did quite nicely, it's worth pointing out that this was almost 15 years ago and most of the interference they observed was at 1719mhz, which some quick googling suggests ... isn't commonly used for cellphones.

The way I've heard it, it's still relatively common that a cellphone might interfere with the electronics on a small or dated plane, but it's exceedingly unlikely to have any effect on any modern aircraft, especially those in use in commercial air transport.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Also 30 V/m at 30cm from the wiring harness is pretty loving extreme.

quote:

Although airline equipment would be the preferred choice, practical
considerations of equipment availability, its size, power requirements, and complexity
of the system interface, restricted the choice to general aviation equipment.

Oh, whoops. Invalidates the whole goddamn thing. Yes, in GA, it can screw with your instruments. Anyone who has been at the controls of a light aircraft with a GSM phone hunting for signal will have heard it on their headset or see needles jump around. GA equipment, unshielded environment, of course radio interference is a thing, it doesn't magically disappear because you're in a plane. But airliners are hardened against interference, and no passengers are 30cm away from the avionics, nor are they holding their phones 30cm away from an unshielded wiring harness. It would be like saying a C152 completely failed the fire suppression test. Of course it did, it doesn't have a fire suppression system.

Using GA equipment and not airline equipment is a massive, massive oversight.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 23, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I switch off airplane mode during descent in the hopes of picking up service to send texts.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Does anybody have a problem with iPhone calendar alerts? I just got a 1 week early alert for a meeting next week. And when I check on the event, I had it set to alert me 1 hour before and 1 day before. Now I'm paranoid it won't actually give me ~the alerts I chose~ because in the past it's skipped over ones I've set.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

fordan posted:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_03.PDF

And while anecdotes like this may not live up to your desire for a scientific paper, I think they’re fine for disproving claims of myth and urban legend.

The paper you linked is pretty interesting.

Interference was found on their test bench at 30 volts / meter or higher, but they clarify the power of cellphones in 3.2:

quote:

Thus, for a 2-watt cellphone, the maximum field strength in free space at one metre distance is approximately 10 volts per metre, and at 100 metres distance, approximately 100 millivolts per metre. At close range, as would apply to cellphone usage on the flight deck, the field strength can be 33 volts per metre at a distance of 30cms.

So at 1 foot away, some general aviation equipment from 2003 was effected only if that cellphone was transmitting at full power, or the signal was being amplified by their horn antenna that was pointed right at their test bench.

Ironically, I've never been asked to turn off my cellphone in any helicopter I've ever flown in, though that or a light aircraft would be the only aircraft where I could possibly come within 1 feet of flight instruments with a phone. I've only ever been asked to turn my phone off on commercial flights where there's scientifically no possible way for my phone to cause disruptions to the equipment.

I still say: total myth.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I’ve noticed that since iOS11 my phone button always looks like it’s been pressed down.

Anyone else have this issue?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Looke posted:

I’ve noticed that since iOS11 my phone button always looks like it’s been pressed down.

Anyone else have this issue?

I get this randomly for random apps. My Mail app is doing it right now. Tapping it open fixes it though I think.

Speaking of apps I just realized/noticed that my home bar doesn’t show text anymore. I swear I remember it used to say “Mail” underneath the Mail app and so on but all four buttons on my home bar don’t have names. Is this a feature?

Aaalso I picked up a pair of AirPods from the SF Union Square Apple store yesterday. I don’t know if these are still rare or not but they just had them on display. It works perfectly as advertised but is there a way to make it more automatic? Like, right just now I put both in my ears, and I heard the sound, but now when I open Spotify and press play music is still coming from my iPhone’s speakers. I have to tap a few buttons to get t to switch over to the AirPods and this is actually pretty annoying.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

buttons on my home bar don’t have names. Is this a feature?

yes

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Preorder is available.

Edit: Preorder preapproval or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Shapur fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 23, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That was quick. And it makes a calendar appointment to wake me up at 2:55am. Thanks, Tim.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
What is this preapproval for exactly?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Etrips posted:

The loan for the phone.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Etrips posted:

Basically it looks like it's just so you don't have to type in all the required information in the middle of the night when you wake up to preorder.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

:words:

Aaalso I picked up a pair of AirPods from the SF Union Square Apple store yesterday. I don’t know if these are still rare or not but they just had them on display. It works perfectly as advertised but is there a way to make it more automatic? Like, right just now I put both in my ears, and I heard the sound, but now when I open Spotify and press play music is still coming from my iPhone’s speakers. I have to tap a few buttons to get t to switch over to the AirPods and this is actually pretty annoying.

Hmmm - if you have had something playing and paused it before connecting AirPods, it should select the right output. I just tested that scenario with the Podcast app and the Music app.

Actually no - I restarted the phone and tried it and it was selecting AirPods by default as my output when they were available.

I don’t have Spotify so can’t test that. Maybe try the Podcast app and see if this is a “feature” for 1st party apple?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just tried it, works for me.

Listening to Spotify on phone speaker, pause, remove airpods from case and put in ears, hear the connection sound, unpause Spotify and it plays through airpods.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The loan for the phone.

lol late-stage capitalism owns

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol late-stage capitalism owns

I know you enjoy your shitposting but its actually pretty smart this year. Last year AUP people had to reserve a phone at a physical store. This year they get preapproved for the phone and can get it shipped just like everyone else. It's pretty much the same as getting preapproved for a mortgage before you go house shopping.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

It's pretty much the same as getting preapproved for a mortgage before you go house shopping.

:thunk:

a cell phone is not a house or a car

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:thunk:

a cell phone is not a house or a car

My point is, AUP people have to jump through an extra hoop and they're getting it out of the way early this time, dingus.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

My point is, AUP people have to jump through an extra hoop and they're getting it out of the way early this time, dingus.

my point is taking out a loan to get a new phone every year puts you on a debt treadmill. if people want to do that that's fine but come on it's okay to call a spade a spade.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok? That has nothing at all to do with late stage capitalism and its no different from outright paying for the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Okay, thanks for the financial advice.