Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
fishing is serious business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FrozenVent posted:

fishing is serious business
also serious business? fisting

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FMguru posted:

also serious business? fisting

of course you’d say that since it’s the family business

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The studio is located in a basement with poor lighting, but despite its poor infrastructure, it includes modern Pro Tools Digital Audio Workstation hardware.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

stop doxxing my posting station

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The police believe it to be a garbled message, but Batman knows it to be an actual order of a Māori drum.[10]

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The phrase is also commonly used in many other contexts, such as articles about dwarfs and aircraft.[15][16][17]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tommy lee was on the downward spiral? drat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

tommy lee was on the downward spiral? drat

news to me

guess ill turn in my card

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

This was one of the first public examples of 9/11 humor.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Leck posted:

This was one of the first public examples of 9/11 humor.

In these vines, the creators have a clip of them, or something they throw, or perhaps an aircraft they fly, and then cut to footage of the planes hitting the Twin Towers (mostly Flight 175 hitting the South Tower). This makes fun of that character or real person, saying "(blank) did 9/11.[25]

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It's not on YouTube anymore and I don't think anyone has a copy but during the 2008 election LF made a political ad about Obama doing 9/11

YouTube kept taking it down and if I remember correctly I was the last person that tried to host it before we gave up entirely

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

In these vines, the creators have a clip of them, or something they throw, or perhaps an aircraft they fly, and then cut to footage of the planes hitting the Twin Towers (mostly Flight 175 hitting the South Tower). This makes fun of that character or real person, saying "(blank) did 9/11.[25]

“mostly Flight 175 hitting the South Tower” is some a+ grade wikipeding

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soricidus posted:

“mostly Flight 175 hitting the South Tower” is some a+ grade wikipeding

wikipedation

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

wikipedation

Wikipedantry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is evident that Fox either miscounts American Dad! episodes or at least intentionally discounts one episode of the series. This was established in Fox advertisements for the episode "Lost in Space." The episode was promoted by Fox as American Dad!'s 150th episode. Subsequently, numerous mainstream media reports also labeled the episode as the 150th.[50][51][52] In actuality, however, it was the show's 151st episode while the episode "The Full Cognitive Redaction of Avery Bullock by the Coward Stan Smith" was the 150th episode of the series. In addition, Fox has misreported the "Lost in Space" episode as the revealing of Roger's birth planet. In actuality, the setting of this episode is a spaceship owned by members of Roger's alien race. To date, Roger's birth planet has yet to be revealed.[53]

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

It is evident that Fox either miscounts American Dad! episodes or at least intentionally discounts one episode of the series. This was established in Fox advertisements for the episode "Lost in Space." The episode was promoted by Fox as American Dad!'s 150th episode. Subsequently, numerous mainstream media reports also labeled the episode as the 150th.[50][51][52] In actuality, however, it was the show's 151st episode while the episode "The Full Cognitive Redaction of Avery Bullock by the Coward Stan Smith" was the 150th episode of the series. In addition, Fox has misreported the "Lost in Space" episode as the revealing of Roger's birth planet. In actuality, the setting of this episode is a spaceship owned by members of Roger's alien race. To date, Roger's birth planet has yet to be revealed.[53]

tbf, the american dad episode/season numbering is complete nonsense

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

It's not on YouTube anymore and I don't think anyone has a copy but during the 2008 election LF made a political ad about Obama doing 9/11

YouTube kept taking it down and if I remember correctly I was the last person that tried to host it before we gave up entirely
lf had its moments before it turned into a bizzarro maoist shitpile. i miss mccain.gif

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lf had its moments before it turned into a bizzarro maoist shitpile. i miss mccain.gif

the apex of lf was the gif of batman flying into the world trade center

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

the apex of lf was the gif of batman flying into the world trade center
lmfao i nearly forgot about this

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

darthbob88 posted:

Wikipedantry.

uh, it’s wikephebophila

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

uh, it’s wikephebophila

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

isn't there one with john mccain's mouth sticking out his tongue

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

isn't there one with john mccain's mouth sticking out his tongue

yea i remember it but i cant find it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The title and themes of "The White Man's Burden" ostensibly make the poem about Eurocentric racism and about the belief of the Western world that industrialization is the way to civilise the Third World.[10][11][12]

"ostensibly"?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

quote:

Many people participate even if their vehicles do not have tailgates.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Reception

In their "Nintendo Voice Chat" segment, several IGN writers spoke at length about the phenomenon, with Brian Altano describing it as "people have latched onto something and made ... a randy or impure version of something that is historically known as pure", and attributing part of the appeal in how it would confuse Nintendo's social media handlers. Casey DeFreitas disagreed, attributing some of the character's popularity to the "monster girl" trend in Japan while also noting several of the fan comics for the character were actually wholesome, but criticizing the name as not following the naming convention established by Peachette's name.[13] Kotaku's Gita Jackson noted the overabundance of art for the character, stating that she was "overwhelmed by how strongly Bowsette has taken root in video game fandom".[14] In a video with Tim Rogers, she added that she had never seen a trend "hit Twitter this hard", and noted the heavy Japanese support both for the character and original artist.[15] Alex Olney of Nintendo Life noted his surprise at the trend's longevity, reasoning that the juxtaposition of something "edgy and sexy" to the Mario setting but also fitting within the narrative Nintendo has created might be the reason as why that is the case.[16]

Don Nero of Esquire described the character as "dominatrix-inspired", proposing that the character could be seen as a positive symbol of female empowerment along the likes of Samus Aran or Lara Croft, though complained that a bulk of the art was "overtly male-gazey, dripping with horrendously over-the-top, seam-bursting cliches that call to mind the bodacious sex-dolls of Dead or Alive Volleyball".[17] Ars Technica's Sam Machkovech attributed some of the character's popularity to how it contrasted against Peach, stating the fan art's focus on a "more muscular, less svelte figure [...] lets Peach look a little less Barbie-proportioned".[18] Nick Valdez of ComicBook describe the character as combining "the cutesy elements of Peach's design with the harder edges and spiky tail of Bowser, making the amalgam of the two characters a delightful artist prompt for fans", though cautioned about the explicit nature of some of the fan art.[19] Ana Valens of The Daily Dot noted the character's broad appeal, but also as a relatable figure for trans women, stating, "Bowsette is exactly how we see ourselves: We went from self-hating, gender dysphoric creatures and turned into happy and confident women."[20]

Bowsette's popularity led to fans exploring concepts of other characters changed by the power-up into figures resembling Peach, including Super Mario character King Boo transformed into "Boosette" or "Booette", which also saw a great deal of fan art.[21][20] Zachary Ryan of IGN noted that with all the different artists, it had moved beyond merely being the concept of "what if Bowser was a girl?", and that "so many artists that you wouldn't know get to flex a little muscle", being able to show works they had created in a similar vein.[13] Other artists such as Fairy Tail creator Hiro Mashima also weighed in with reverse-gender versions of their characters as well, though Mashima in particular voiced caution for participants in the trend "to be careful not to cause trouble for copyright holders and companies that they are contracted to", and noted that even if he wanted to draw fan art, he would need the approval of publishers and other related parties.[22] Other Japanese news outlets more directly discussed the legality of such characters under copyright law, specifically Bowsette, and whether they infringed on Nintendo's own copyright.[23]

Despite fan petitions to make the character canon, Nintendo did not comment on it, stating "Concerning the drawings and other things uploaded to the Internet, we have no comment."[22][24] However, gaming publications noticed a similarity between the character and an unused concept for Super Mario Odyssey shown in the artbook, where Bowser took over Peach's body similarly to Mario's capture ability in Odyssey, and she inherited several of his features from the possession, questioning whether Nintendo would now explore the concept further.[18][25] Alex Olney stated that while it would be unlikely that Nintendo would add the character to a game at some point, he did expect to see Nintendo interact with the trend in some fashion, adding "I think it would be a fun little thing and Nintendo are being a lot more fun recently".[16]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i wasn't bothered by this "bowsette" thing at all until now

now i hate all nerds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not bothered by bowsette but that's probably because I only ever see the best bits that make it onto these forums and spread beyond the nintendo threads, I'm sure if I went looking on the wider internet I'd be horrified

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
very disappointed that we never got a proper wikipedia article for princess molestia

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 22, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

there's also the time that an lf poster was complicit in the death of tim russert

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

overmind2000 posted:

there's also the time that an lf poster was complicit in the death of tim russert

haha loving hell

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

isn't that just a parody of the only funny parody thread ever created on these here forums

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

isn't that just a parody of the only funny parody thread ever created on these here forums

Nothing funny has ever been created on these here forums. We're a pimple on the rear end of the front page.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/p-p-p-powerbook

see guys, see!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Nothing funny has ever been created on these here forums. We're a pimple on the rear end of the front page.

Wait, there's a front page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, there's a front page?

img-timeline