Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Welp see ya later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

First will be Singapore's suites class, economy and will be half standing on bicycles seats with 16" seat widths so the same number of people can be carried despite each first class customer having a full double bed.

Um, that's already a thing. It's a three room suit for two.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Welp see ya later!

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

e: wrong thread

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Welp see ya later!

christ this looks like a next-gen Ace Combat game or something. That owns

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Someone should add on the bikini scene from Stealth and call it a day.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The story of how a an American B737 pilot became a Mirage F1 pilot in Libya, discovering the joys of flying on very fast, and very, very unmaintained warplanes with no prior training.

quote:

Most are not going to believe this

I am not ex military. I have not flown any tactical aircraft except the back seat of an L39. I do have some acro time in various planes but thats about it. For the 23 years of my career i have been fortunate enough to do almost every type of civilian flying there is, but my dream was always to fly fighters, and now i have been able to do that.
When i was a kid, i used to spend hours if not days (was up all night) playing every single imaginable combat flight sim there was. I had the entire HOTAS set up on my desk, room was covered in pics of ever plane that began with an F. I knew this was wanted to do. I knew this from 7 years old.
When i turned 18 i tried to join the Navy. My idea was to get in, goto school, get the 4 year, and then would be launching off decks in no time. WRONG. My eyesight was less than 20/20, there was no PRK, no LASIK, no back seat to front seat program. My dream was over before it ever even started.
I went on to have (albeit mostly overseas) a very sucessful career and still have much more to go. However something was always missing. Buying an L39 was not a solution, 1000 bucks an hour is not realistic as i am by no means a super wealthy guy.
An opportunity came up in Libya in a Mirage F1. I sent my resume and got called back. First i thought who are these guys? Are they ISIS on the other end of this skype call?
I was on my way to an interview in Qatar, and having a place in Istanbul i figured it would be no skin off my back to go see them. A few days after arriving in Turkey i was off to Misurata, Libya.
I got in very late, around 0400. Met the other pilot who recently seperated from another air force and was flying the Cheetah, Mirage 3, and the F1. So he knew his stuff. However, he was told that i too was a former fighter pilot. How the hell was i to pull this off?
The base was run down and spartan. It was used as a flight training center for Ghadaffis people years ago. They had L39, Soko Galeb, Mig 23, 25, and the F1.
When i saw the planes the next day i was in awe. Sexy as hell, and they looked brand new! They were sitting for a few years, as right during the overthrow of ghadaffi these two planes were flown to Malta as part of a defection. And then later brought back.
Things were very relaxed at the base. It was quite amusing to see the Libyan pilots wearing flight suits and sandals. Safety was out the door. Bombs, many fused laying EVERYWHERE. Missles too. And many stupid practices like fueling up an L39 armed with rockets and having the truck in FRONT of the plane. One rocket goes off and.....BOOM.
I finally got to see the Mig 25 in person. What a friggin beast! But they are not used too often, and a few weeks before i came a crew ejected.
Getting back to the flying, i had spent 2 weeks studying the plane from the flight manual i bought online. I spent hours in the cockpit. It was old, but very cool. Finally i went on to engine starts which were quite simple as its only battery start. The next day i did taxiing which also very easy, and then the high speed taxi test.
This is where things got a bit scary. I was asked by the other guy to run up to 100 kias then abort. Well, its a good thing we had over 11,000 feet of runway. I got to 100 kias and when i went to come out of burner muscle memory took over and i was trying to rotate the throttle (you need to rotate it 45 degrees to go into or out of burner) but i didnt bring it back FAR enough. I wound up almost having to take off as i hit 145 kias before i got it to idle. Scared the hell out of myself.
Next morning was the day. We strapped in, did the comm checks on UHF red radio, and taxiied out. We went as a 2 ship about 5 seconds apart. In this plane when you hit 120 you rotate to 12 degrees and she should come off at 150. Airborne, im thinking WTF am i doing. It quickly went through my mind about all my ex fighter pilot friends telling me im gonna kill myself. But even quicker was having to not overspeed the gear, and flaps, and come out of AB at 300.
Wow, the view was amazing. Left downwind departure and i was looking outside. I looked inside and next thing i know im over 500 kias!! Ridiculous! My wingmen joined at my 5 oclock and we climbed to 20,000. The 2 major things i noticed different then flying the old 737 is ONE, there is no wind noise. In the Boeing you hear the wind grow louder. Here all you see is the ASI needle. And 2, you can kill yourself VERY VERY quickly in this thing!
Over the range which was about 35 miles south i did some rolls. Amazing. 360/sec. Full stick and you will roll twice. Put her into a 90 degree bank and pulled. Was quite cool to feel the G suit (which took me 15 mins to put on the first time!) inflate. 5 G was enough for me as a warm up.
15 mins of flying around and my wingmen and i lost sight of each other. Finally i got him but then got into the clouds. Thats when murphys law took over. The #1 Alt failed, couldnt reset. The STBY ADI failed. And then the pitch ladder in the "HUD" its really just a visor, showed me 5 degree bank to the right when i was level. AND THIS WAS MY FIRST FLIGHT EVER IN A FIGHTER AND TOTALLY BY MYSELF!! No sim, no 2 seat, just books!!!
Got the call from my wingmen that a sandstorm was approaching. Great. And i needed to be down at 3000 feet in like 5 miles and i was at 20,000!!! I pushed the nose down, and while trying to rest the alternator something told me to look at the ASI, MACH .97!!!!!
Ofcourse there are checks to do before going mach, like make sure the shock cones are working and in the auto position. I popped the boards and got her slowed. But man talk about not realizing! Again, We had Garmin GPS mounted on the dash, this is what the locals used for the bombing runs. So i hit direct to and headed straight to the airport and did a 7 mile final straight in. I just did not want to bother with the overhead, all my T38 friends kept telling me about being in the buffet in the final turn, but this F1 has slats and not sure that would have been an issue.
Anyway, flight completed. Next day we went to fly again and the radios failed. Then the O2 connections were broke and the only O2 we had was in the seat. Then the pickle button for the weapons wasnt working. Always something, and spares are hard to find.
Having never been in the military i was introduced to the BS that many of my friends had told me. They always said the flying is great, but all the other stuff is not. There was just so many little things, like if the techs pulled the planes out to go fly because we were told it was ok, the hangar chief would tell us put them back. Or when its totally VFR and the Colonel is telling us the vis too low!!!!
The biggest thing was my contract was written i would be bombing ISIS an Al Queda. That was just one of MANY lies i was told. In fact they wanted us to bomb the other RECOGNIZED govt which would Then the problems started, how the hell am i going to do bombing, ACM, formation, etc??? Plus, the client was told he was sold TWO COMBAT READY F1 pilots. Well my wingmen had never flown in The next day both govt signed a peace treaty, so now the main target was ISIS. But this treaty would not last and was broken quickly. The other issue is they KEPT our passports locked in a safe, and when my wingmen asked to go back as he was PROMISED because his wife was giving birth, the general said is it in your contract? This is war!
That was kind of the icing on the cake. Plus not getting paid as promised. So the next day i told them i need to go back to Istanbul to take care of something. This same day ISIS got to within 100 clicks of the aiport. over 1000 of them. EVERYONE was sent to bomb.
I made it back in one piece. I am now probably the worlds only civilian to ever fly a Mirage F1 with no TRAINING. I finally came clean with my wingmen and he did not stop laughing i swear for 40 min. Told me i have balls so big they should be in a wheelbarrow.
I will say i give you fighter guys ALOT of credit. This type of flying (and i have been exposed to very little) is very demanding. Its NOT easy. However, when applying for that job flying a 737 i still think having 3000 hours in the left seat of the Boeing as compared to the F15 guy with 1000 in an F15 does not compare. But all means technically speaking the Boeing guy SHOULD get the job.
So hopefully that will clear up that CIV versus MIL. Both are great. But its like boxing vs MMA, both are good at their respective arts. And i say this very humbly as i was able to atleast do both in a sense.
I know i will get TONS of thrashing, or telling me i am lying etc. How crazy, stupid i was. But then again i also got tons of "OMG, im so jealous, i want to do that, your my hero" And i have the videos and pics to prove it.
Its been an interesting vacation.

I found this on a French forum where they said they found it on an American forum but without linking the source unfortunately.

There's also some pics.
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=520247IMG7884copy.jpg -- during taxi trials
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=965523IMG7847copy.jpg -- actual flight (with a different helmet)
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=992713IMG7876copy.jpg -- safely back on the ground

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Holy loving poo poo that is incredible.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

hahahahahahahaha.

on one hand, WW2 was arguably worse for lots of pilots. Some glider time and bang you're in the seat of a me109 or hurricane/spitfire

on the other hand holy poo poo loving being given a jet, bombs and missiles with no training lmao. he didn't mention learning or practicing how to bomb??

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This works the same for C-130s.

"Whats that, we landed somewhere we like? Oh look, the prop gearbox is leaking. Guess we gotta do a prop change.....in 4 days"

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

hahahahahahahaha.

on one hand, WW2 was arguably worse for lots of pilots. Some glider time and bang you're in the seat of a me109 or hurricane/spitfire

on the other hand holy poo poo loving being given a jet, bombs and missiles with no training lmao. he didn't mention learning or practicing how to bomb??

He took my method of learning dcs planes and used it in real life. Im so proud.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Just got back from the Naval Aviation museum; I didn't really get many pictures as I was mostly overwhelmed trying to see anything.

I do loving love the weird rear end 50s-60s naval aircraft. The Demon, Skyray, Cutlass, etc. Weird looking and short lived but very cool. I'd figuratively kill for a DCS: F-3 Demon.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 15, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OhsH posted:

He took my method of learning dcs planes and used it in real life. Im so proud.

Looking forward to DCS: Ender's Game

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cat Mattress posted:

The story of how a an American B737 pilot became a Mirage F1 pilot in Libya, discovering the joys of flying on very fast, and very, very unmaintained warplanes with no prior training.

I found this on a French forum where they said they found it on an American forum but without linking the source unfortunately.

There's also some pics.
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=520247IMG7884copy.jpg -- during taxi trials
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=965523IMG7847copy.jpg -- actual flight (with a different helmet)
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=992713IMG7876copy.jpg -- safely back on the ground

Did anyone save the pics from this, because hollllly poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ardeem posted:

Are you able/willing to travel 100 miles?

I was the guy that posted about it and while I recommend this, too, the airfield the Coney Island show was moved to is closer. Stewart International in Newburgh. Come and marvel at the longest runway you'll ever see that hardly gets used.

Also, Orange County Choppers is like right there on 17k if you like catalog bikes

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
This photo is airplane related.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Previa_fun posted:

I'd figuratively kill for a DCS: F-3 Demon.

I'd sacrifice a goat to get DCS: F-14 to come out quicker, but on the other hand I don't want it rushed/hosed up, either. Evidently they're only starting beta testing at the end of this year.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd sacrifice a goat to get DCS: F-14 to come out quicker, but on the other hand I don't want it rushed/hosed up, either. Evidently they're only starting beta testing at the end of this year.

If it's the A model how could you tell if it's the sim or the plane loving up though :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cat Mattress posted:

There's also some pics.

It's like a real life Area 88

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

freelop posted:

It's like a real life Area 88

Speaking of, when are we gonna get our live action A88 movie?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it was called Iron Eagle III

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This photo is airplane related.

an airbus maintenance depot ?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWTK9phKoaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxvwGppH4zg

Are these an effect exaggerated by the camera or do these have 1+ TWR when empty?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Inacio posted:

Are these an effect exaggerated by the camera or do these have 1+ TWR when empty?

Well, it's not >1 TWR. It's a standard short-field takeoff procedure. You wait to rotate at some speed higher than your minimum and convert that extra forward speed into altitude rapidly.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Inacio posted:

Effect exaggerated by the camera. In the first video, the plane is climbing straight toward the camera, which negates any lateral movement and leaves only vertical.

In the second video the same thing is happening, plus a high focal length lens is used, which reduces any motion in the toward-camera/away-from-camera dimension, thus further relatively exaggerating the vertical.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's a standard short-field takeoff procedure. You wait to rotate at some speed higher than your minimum and convert that extra forward speed into altitude rapidly.

That doesn't make sense because the energy going into speed (and then from that into altitude) could just go to straight into altitude in the first place.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 17, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Assuming the same pitch angle is used, a plane rotating at 150 knots climbs faster than a similar plane rotating at 135 knots.

I don't understand the argument.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Assuming the same pitch angle is used, a plane rotating at 150 knots climbs faster than a similar plane rotating at 135 knots.

It takes off later. Your potential energy is the same.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

While you're building the extra 15 knots you're also using up runway distance. So you've gotta make up that runway distance plus more, if it's gonna be a "short field" technique.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea alright that makes sense. We didn't have anything like that in awacs except holding a takeoff run further for the extra climb speed because lol Pratt and Whitney

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Inacio posted:

Empty weight is roughly around 250k pounds where both the GEnx and Trent 1000s max out around 75,000 lbs thrust for takeoffs, so nowhere close to 1 TWR.

Now if some crazy person were to put GE90s on it you'd be getting pretty close. The hypothetical all-GE90 747 that most of us thought of when seeing the photo from testing with the one of 'em mounted up would exceed 1:1 TWR.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

If it's a "short-field takeoff procedure," why would you stay on the ground longer to build up to 150 knots if you can rotate at 135?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yea alright that makes sense. We didn't have anything like that in awacs except holding a takeoff run further for the extra climb speed because lol Pratt and Whitney
It makes more sense to clear obstacles, yes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And MANPADS

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahaha great point.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

vessbot posted:

While you're building the extra 15 knots you're also using up runway distance. So you've gotta make up that runway distance plus more, if it's gonna be a "short field" technique.

Argh. Not short-field. "Obstacle clearance."

You're rotating at the speed which gives you the best rate of climb (most altitude per unit time) vs a short-field which gives you best angle of climb (most altitude per horizontal distance).

If you're doing trick maneuvers and you've got runway distance, then you can get your speed up even higher and keep that rate of climb for a lot longer until your speed decays down to close to stall speed. Since you're pitching up to get your airspeed down, it looks like you're taking off like a rocket.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Now I want to see a 787 do a soft field take off.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Argh. Not short-field. "Obstacle clearance."

You're rotating at the speed which gives you the best rate of climb (most altitude per unit time) vs a short-field which gives you best angle of climb (most altitude per horizontal distance).

If you're doing trick maneuvers and you've got runway distance, then you can get your speed up even higher and keep that rate of climb for a lot longer until your speed decays down to close to stall speed. Since you're pitching up to get your airspeed down, it looks like you're taking off like a rocket.

When it comes to obstacle clearance, my point still stands that any speed build-up above the appropriate climb speed (best angle of climb speed, in this case) is wasted potential, since it consumes distance (that is, distance from start of takeoff roll to obstacle) for no benefit. Not only is there no benefit, there is a loss since you've spent that time operating at a less efficient condition than best-angle.

In fact, depending on the obstacle height and distance, there is a benefit to flying slower than best-angle speed, rather than at it. The climb angle is less than optimal, but the earlier lift-off point will make up for it, for close-in obstacles.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wolrah posted:

Empty weight is roughly around 250k pounds where both the GEnx and Trent 1000s max out around 75,000 lbs thrust for takeoffs, so nowhere close to 1 TWR.

Now if some crazy person were to put GE90s on it you'd be getting pretty close. The hypothetical all-GE90 747 that most of us thought of when seeing the photo from testing with the one of 'em mounted up would exceed 1:1 TWR.

Supersonic 747 :allears: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

vessbot posted:

When it comes to obstacle clearance, my point still stands that any speed build-up above the appropriate climb speed (best angle of climb speed, in this case) is wasted potential, since it consumes distance (that is, distance from start of takeoff roll to obstacle) for no benefit. Not only is there no benefit, there is a loss since you've spent that time operating at a less efficient condition than best-angle.

In fact, depending on the obstacle height and distance, there is a benefit to flying slower than best-angle speed, rather than at it. The climb angle is less than optimal, but the earlier lift-off point will make up for it, for close-in obstacles.

I went to my Pilot's Operating Handbook to check some stuff out. Things may be different for jets; this is for a Cessna 172 with 210-HP engine and fixed prop.

Normal takeoff is trim for takeoff and plane will rotate itself at 55KIAS and lift off between 70-80KIAS, with best rate of climb at 73KIAS.
Short field/obstacle clearance takeoff is hold nose down until 59KIAS then pitch back for best angle climb 59KIAS. If field conditions indicate flaps, no more than 10° and climb at 55KIAS.

Stall speeds are given as 42 KIAS flaps up and 38 KIAS flaps 10°.

Do jets have different speeds? The physics seems to indicate that if you take off earlier and your climb rate isn't ideal, then you end up lower than if you'd followed the best angle-of-climb profile. Just like you can't "cheat" your best-glide speed. Going faster means you hit the ground earlier. Going slower means you hit the ground earlier.