Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'd probably eat them but it'll depend on how picky the eaters are. I have accidentally used soda instead of powder in a 1:1 and those were terrible, but that's also a bigger mistake than yours since your recipe called for soda.

I guess we'll see how they turn out. The dough tasted pretty good, so I guess the leavening might just be less than optimal.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Bought a pasta roller in preparation for making pumpkin sage ravioli for the li'l lady for Valentine's. This'll be my first time making fresh pasta from dough. I read up on the Serious Eats in-depth tutorial and I'm reading through their ravioli-specific walkthrough. I've seen some fresh pasta posts around here. Any firsthand tips or advice? I'm doing my first practice run Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks, Something Offal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The cookies turned out awesome. Sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Nice and buttery.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I bought some liquid smoke for making Jerky and have a lot left and was wondering how long it will last in a cupboard since I rarely use it

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Forever I think.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
keep it cool and dark, and it'll keep mostly forever.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've found it does lose in potency but otherwise keeps well.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've got brain damage. It's resulted in me being infomercial-level clumsy.

I'm not allowed near hot or sharp things. I however live alone. Also I'm unemployable. So I'm finding myself with a rather low food budget and a shortage of recipes. To make it worse, I can't really handle tools with enough precision to, say, peel most things - I love pears but it's like a horror movie in pear juice if I peel and eat one.

Aaand I'm limited to about 5min of time spent upright per hour, so the prep can't be long, and if there's a chance of the prep being messy I'll find ingredients stuck to cabinets a week later.

I am very tired of TV dinners, cheap greasy pocket pies and bananas however. And as the cherry on the sundae - I'm stuck far away from shops, so I can get fresh ingredients one day a week at most. And I live in Finland and I'm allergic to apples.

Anyone got recipe tips that aren't just "dehumanize yourself and face to microwave ramen"?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

endlessmonotony posted:

I've got brain damage. It's resulted in me being infomercial-level clumsy.

I'm not allowed near hot or sharp things. I however live alone. Also I'm unemployable. So I'm finding myself with a rather low food budget and a shortage of recipes. To make it worse, I can't really handle tools with enough precision to, say, peel most things - I love pears but it's like a horror movie in pear juice if I peel and eat one.

Aaand I'm limited to about 5min of time spent upright per hour, so the prep can't be long, and if there's a chance of the prep being messy I'll find ingredients stuck to cabinets a week later.

I am very tired of TV dinners, cheap greasy pocket pies and bananas however. And as the cherry on the sundae - I'm stuck far away from shops, so I can get fresh ingredients one day a week at most. And I live in Finland and I'm allergic to apples.

Anyone got recipe tips that aren't just "dehumanize yourself and face to microwave ramen"?

That's a tough one.

One thing I do for breakfast that's quick and might fit the bill for you is to bake a sweet potato (or a yam) in your microwave. After letting it cool a bit you can peel it by hand more or less. Afterwards fry up a couple of eggs and serve on top of the baked yam with a little salt. If you leave the yolks a bit runny it's delicious when you smash it up with the yam and eat. Also it's quite cheap.

I'll try to think of more but that's something at least.

Crap you said no hot things...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm not allowed to handle hot things. I can however set things in the oven and pick them up when the oven's cooled down. But a frying pan isn't a good idea.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
It sounds like you might be able to manage slow cooker a.k.a. 'crock pot' recipes? They don't require any standing at a hot stove or anything. You just put the ingredients in and let the thing go. Plus if you need to take a break and lie down for a bit just let it go, it might get soggy but it's not going to start a fire or anything.

Also why are you peeling pears, is that a Finnish thing? Just eat 'em all, they're good.

e: most slow-cooker recipes are stews, so it might not work out if you have spoon dexterity issues.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 11, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Jesus, that is a tough one. I think this might be time for the crock pot to shine. You can do tons of low prep low maintenance stuff with a crock pot and you can even cook from frozen if you're not picky.

E: Beaten.. While they're mostly technically stews, there's tons you can do and the liquid doesn't have to be a part of the final dish.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bartlebee posted:

Bought a pasta roller in preparation for making pumpkin sage ravioli for the li'l lady for Valentine's. This'll be my first time making fresh pasta from dough. I read up on the Serious Eats in-depth tutorial and I'm reading through their ravioli-specific walkthrough. I've seen some fresh pasta posts around here. Any firsthand tips or advice? I'm doing my first practice run Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks, Something Offal.

Being bad at cooking and therefore unable to gauge proper ratio by eye or feel, I follow the serious eats recipe but I crack the eggs first and weigh them, then divide that weight by 0.65 to get how much flour I should use. It's more precise than "2 eggs, 4 yolks and 10 oz of flour" and I haven't had problems with sticky or dry dough since I started doing it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ditto Hogmartin, slow-cooker seems like the best route. You should be able to purchase pre-cut vegetables and meats. Even bone-in cuts you can usually pull the bones out afterwards, so no need to wield a knife.

You could slow-cook a few varieties of meals and freeze portions, then pull out pre-fabbed meals to reheat and serve. If you have a rice-cooker, you could have rice ready-to-go to serve with the meals.

hogmartin posted:

e: most slow-cooker recipes are stews, so it might not work out if you have spoon dexterity issues.

This interested me, so I looked to see if there's a "tremor spoon" out there. There is, apparently, but they seem expensive. Still, for a one-time quality-of-life purchase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99t5c6j8BR0

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't need one, I just eat shirtless.

*blushes and looks away coyly*

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 11, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I don't need one, I just eat shirtless.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you guys have an equivalent of Meals on Wheels in Finland? It's actual food cooked by a person and delivered to your door, often for free. This is exactly what it's for. You wouldn't be cooking yourself, but it would be better than TV dinners and ramen.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

This interested me, so I looked to see if there's a "tremor spoon" out there. There is, apparently, but they seem expensive. Still, for a one-time quality-of-life purchase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99t5c6j8BR0

Whoa, that's kind of amazing.

Yeah so as Tots said you can do non-stew stuff that's wet-cooked and as Brawnfire said, you can get a rice cooker. Hot steamy fresh food and rice with no stove or knives, you should be good to go.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The reason I peel fruits is because Finland. All non-Finnish fruits are advised to be peeled because the long shipping distance necessitates the use of spray-on preservatives. All affordable Finnish fruits... are apples. Which I'm allergic to. Also has the handy consequence of apples being vastly cheaper than other fruits, therefore half of everything ready-made doesn't use, say, "pears", but instead uses "pear-flavored fruit mix" which is one quarter pear and three quarters apple.

We don't have meals on wheels or anything like it. Getting meats transported is less-than-easy, because I have to take a long bus trip - not allowed to drive - and thus have trouble keeping them cold.

Crock pot actually looks like a good idea. Something called "Avec A410 haudutuskattila" looks like it's one, and it's one I can grab.

I do know I can get peeled frozen tater slices and mixed root vegetables - I've made some stews but I tend to have a problem with the timing and right amount of heat, given the whole "you shouldn't be handling hot things" part. A stew boiling over is a difficult thing to salvage when you can't trust yourself not to fall face-first onto the stove.

Also, another thing why Finland is relevant: Finland has half the population density of Wisconsin, and is a frozen wasteland which adds a lot to the shipping costs of anything not considered a staple. Also the distance turns any grocery trip into a multi-hour ordeal when you uh, can't walk very well.

On some days my symptoms are less pronounced and I can actually handle hot things as long as I'm careful and clad in protective gear. I just made muffins. The recipe would have taken me 30 minutes to make and clean up before The Incident. It took me eight hours.

... and a man taking his shirt off before eating is a lot less sensual when it's accompanied with the resignation that drooling is going to happen.

If anyone has any non-crock-pot recipes, I'd appreciate those too. Also, good crock pot recipes without things you need to take care to keep fresh.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

The reason I peel fruits is because Finland. All non-Finnish fruits are advised to be peeled because the long shipping distance necessitates the use of spray-on preservatives. All affordable Finnish fruits... are apples. Which I'm allergic to. Also has the handy consequence of apples being vastly cheaper than other fruits, therefore half of everything ready-made doesn't use, say, "pears", but instead uses "pear-flavored fruit mix" which is one quarter pear and three quarters apple.

We don't have meals on wheels or anything like it. Getting meats transported is less-than-easy, because I have to take a long bus trip - not allowed to drive - and thus have trouble keeping them cold.

Crock pot actually looks like a good idea. Something called "Avec A410 haudutuskattila" looks like it's one, and it's one I can grab.

I do know I can get peeled frozen tater slices and mixed root vegetables - I've made some stews but I tend to have a problem with the timing and right amount of heat, given the whole "you shouldn't be handling hot things" part. A stew boiling over is a difficult thing to salvage when you can't trust yourself not to fall face-first onto the stove.

Also, another thing why Finland is relevant: Finland has half the population density of Wisconsin, and is a frozen wasteland which adds a lot to the shipping costs of anything not considered a staple. Also the distance turns any grocery trip into a multi-hour ordeal when you uh, can't walk very well.

On some days my symptoms are less pronounced and I can actually handle hot things as long as I'm careful and clad in protective gear. I just made muffins. The recipe would have taken me 30 minutes to make and clean up before The Incident. It took me eight hours.

... and a man taking his shirt off before eating is a lot less sensual when it's accompanied with the resignation that drooling is going to happen.

If anyone has any non-crock-pot recipes, I'd appreciate those too. Also, good crock pot recipes without things you need to take care to keep fresh.

You can get frozen whatever to use in your crock pot recipes. Meats and veg of all varieties. As someone else pointed out, this combined with a rice cooker is going to be the ticket I think. I'm really having trouble of thinking of any non-crockpot recipe that can be made under those stipulations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

You should be just fine with that one. Crock pots don't really boil over even on the highest setting, they just bubble a lot. You might try something from the congee thread (tasty rice porridge with every ingredient there is):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692030
Are you able to get any foods delivered? Like even a tray of cubed beef will last forever in the freezer and make a killer slow cooker stroganoff now or a few months from now.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
A rice cooker would be a pretty similar thing, but you don't have to just cook rice. Something I do pretty often is pour in a cup of brown rice, a cup and a half of broth, a can of pinto beans, a few chopped chipotle chiles (or some chipotle chili powder for you) and some frozen corn. Turn on and cook. It would be good topped with pulled chicken, which you can make in a slow cooker!

A sweet potato would still be a great option if you can leave stuff in the oven until they cool. They're great topped with lots of things (I like it with pulled BBQ pork and some shredded cheese) and can make a slow cooker thing less of a mush.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
As others have said a rice cooker, a good rice cooker like a Zojirushi, would be a good purchase if you can save up for it. It will let you make rice, rice with things like chicken and vegetables mixed in, stews and you can steam stuff like meat and vegetables too. It's also easy to clean since the pot is nonstick.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't know how readily available they're going to be, but if you're talking anything less than a several hour bus trip in summer heat, going to the store, getting a backpack (insulated if you can get it) full of pre-chopped frozen meat (I know you can get stew beef and chicken pretty easily, if you talk to a butcher you may be able to call ahead and have an order prepped and frozen for you) is definitely an option. The more of it you get, the better, but even a few pounds is going to be fine, almost guaranteed.

That, plus delivered root veggies, potatoes, and rice, will let you make a hell of a lot of things given nothing but a crock pot and a rice cooker. A good rice cooker can also pretty easily handle pasta for you, in a pinch, and by the time it's finished, isn't hot enough to do serious damage to you if you do gently caress it up.

Crock pot can also turn steel cut oats + cinnamon, sugar, and a fruit of choice into an amazing breakfast overnight. Rice cooker (or slow cooker, I bet you can ask the sous vittles or slow cooker threads how) can also do boiled eggs, if you can handle the shake them stupid method of peeling them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I had to soak some beans and decided to brine them so I threw in Salt and Cajun Seasoning. That's not going to gently caress them up is it? I don't think it would but now I'm nervous about them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Won't salting them make them kind of tough?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I've never heard of brining a bean. Is that a thing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I read some article on Lifehacker about brining beans. I'm making red beans and rice.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I read some article on Lifehacker about brining beans. I'm making red beans and rice.

gently caress YAH. Red beans and rice rules. Are you using the gumbopages recipe?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm from New Orleans so I have my own 9 ingredient recipe

Onion
Garlic
Carrot
Celery
Red beans
Smoked Pork Hock
Andouille
Salt n Peppa

Rice

Edit:

Whoops guess it's ten forgot Chicken Stock.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 11, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Serious Eats did some testing on bean soaking water salinity, and they found that soaking the beans in salt water resulted in better beans and fewer blowouts than unsalted water. I've always soaked with salt and I rarely find a tough bean.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Wow, learned something new. Also re red beans and rice: the recipe I use is basically that but with an acidic component, e.g., pickled ham or onions. Mmmmmmmmm I was gonna make that today but didn't have time to run to the store so I settled on sausage & peppers. Big batch for the week.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cool good to know. Yeah, I put in Cajun Seasoning and Salt to the beans. I figured that would work. Going to soak until tomorow.

The secret ingredient which isn't really secret is getting the Smoked Pork Hocks. I guess I'll post my recipe.

Get a big pot

3 Cups Red Beans
6 Cups Water
Soak

Wait 24 Hours

Cut skin off Hocks if they have skin

In Large Pot Brown the Hocks

Take out Hocks after brown

Cut off heat , put in butter and a teaspoon of oil, turn on low heat, scrape bits into butter

Add Trinity (Chopped Celery, Onions, Carrots)

Cook Trinity till almost softened

Add Half SLiced Andouille with minced Garlic

Cook a bit til you smell garlic

Add Pork Hock and Drained Beans

Add 1 Can Chicken Broth , 1 Can Water

Turn on low

Wait a bit , stirring occassionally usually about 1 hour, Add more water if neccessary. This is the tricky part you want to add just enough water to not make it "soupy".

Once you see Beans are soft , get potato masher

Take out Hocks, Pull meat off throw back in

Mash Beans with Potato Masher like Half Way. You want 1 half mashed , One half whole. You are not making Refried Beans

Cook another 30 or so

Now add salt pepper to taste.

Cut the other half of Andouille split length wise , Cook it

Plate with Rice, Chopped Green Onion and Fresh Cooked Andouille if you wish. Best Bread is BLUE BOX Jiffy Mix Cornbread.

I'll take a lovely pic with my Computer camera tommorow.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 11, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Oh nice, I've never mashed the beans before. Gonna give that a go next time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, that's how they are "creamed". If you have trouble with the mashing in the pot just take out like 1/3 of the beans and mash them up real well in a seperate bowl. You really want the consistency of basically refried bean then add them back into the pot.

Sorry I don't have exact measurements ,but it's all by eye , which is how I learned to make it from my grandmother.

A good side dish if you want vegetables is half mustard greens / collard greens.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 11, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can you oil a cutting board with fractionated coconut oil?

I already have a bottle of coconut oil and am debating if I need to buy a bottle of mineral oil for it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can you oil a cutting board with fractionated coconut oil?

I already have a bottle of coconut oil and am debating if I need to buy a bottle of mineral oil for it.

Just get some mineral oil from your local pharmacy, a bottle is like two bucks.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't know how readily available they're going to be, but if you're talking anything less than a several hour bus trip in summer heat, going to the store, getting a backpack (insulated if you can get it) full of pre-chopped frozen meat (I know you can get stew beef and chicken pretty easily, if you talk to a butcher you may be able to call ahead and have an order prepped and frozen for you) is definitely an option. The more of it you get, the better, but even a few pounds is going to be fine, almost guaranteed.

That, plus delivered root veggies, potatoes, and rice, will let you make a hell of a lot of things given nothing but a crock pot and a rice cooker. A good rice cooker can also pretty easily handle pasta for you, in a pinch, and by the time it's finished, isn't hot enough to do serious damage to you if you do gently caress it up.

Crock pot can also turn steel cut oats + cinnamon, sugar, and a fruit of choice into an amazing breakfast overnight. Rice cooker (or slow cooker, I bet you can ask the sous vittles or slow cooker threads how) can also do boiled eggs, if you can handle the shake them stupid method of peeling them.

These are great suggestions. Also, see if your grocer does pre-assembled meals that are microwave ready. Or just ask if they can cut things for you, if they're not busy and you can hang around for awhile, they might help you out. I have a great chili recipe you could probably handle in the slow cooker if you get the onions pre-chopped. Also, frozen microwave meals are getting better in quality now. I don't know what the selection might be in Finland, though! I also like the sweet potatoes thing.

Allay your fears of boiling over. The great thing about a slow cooker is just that, it cooks slowly. I don't think most of them even have the capacity to heat enough to boil something over. The other nice thing about a slow cooker is that you can make things in bulk. If you're able to get the cooled leftovers in a container, you can cook once, and have leftovers for days.

Do you have an advocate? Maybe ask if there are any private programs that provide food delivery. Or maybe some kind of home aid helper, just to help with fiddly stuff for an hour or two a day.

edit: If you're interested in some chili, I actually just finished up my last bit of some I made up last week, and I want moooore. I could run some experiments to see if can be modified to suit your needs and tastes. Do you want a chili with beans in it? Are packets of tex-mex Chili Mix and spiced ground sausage available in your store? Can you get stew beef and beef heart cut to bite-sized pieces for you, and a minced medium yellow onion?

Oh, and as for transporting the meat, if your meat comes from the store in styrofoam, you could try asking them to put the meat in 2 extra styrofoam shells, in like a clamshell, and taped closed. Kept in a backpack with a re-usable freezer pack, and you should be able to keep it safely cool for at least an hour.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Duke of the Bump
Mar 10, 2007

Herzog Null
Is there a megathread for recipes that keep and reheat particularly well? I'm looking for lunch ideas for work. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm sick to death of salads.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Duke of the Bump posted:

Is there a megathread for recipes that keep and reheat particularly well? I'm looking for lunch ideas for work. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm sick to death of salads.

Anything you can make in a big pot.

Red Beans and Rice
Chili
Sausage and Peppers
Any kind of stew
And kind of curry
Any kind of pasta/sauce combo (keep the pasta and the sauce separate until both are reheated. This goes for any starch/sauce combo)
Bring stuff for wraps then assemble them at work
Bring stuff for sandwiches then assemble them at work

The possibilities are endless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is there like a be all end all recipe for red beans and rice? I've never had it and I see it come up all the time so it must be good.